• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One last chance!

Osennecho

Smash Ace
To timeout an opponent you largely need to control the entire pace of the match. Otherwise you are gambling on maybe a 50:50 shot and that is only if the control keeps shifting. The mentality and endurance alone is extremely impressive let alone the skill at high level play. While I personally believe it kills hype in most cases, I still hold extreme respect for those who can do so. Wouldn't even think of booing unless they were still going for a timeout up 3 or 4 stocks to 1.

Super

Smash Apprentice
marvel seconds are 2 seconds long, so it's actually 198 seconds for that game :p

however, there can be up to 3 timeouts in a game (3 games in a set), which would be 594 seconds which is nearly 10 minutes in Marvel and 5 in Street Fighter. each "game" in Smash is comparable to a 2/3 game in capcom fighters.

Actually wouldn't SF be more? Each round is 99 second limit, but you have to win 2 "rounds" out of 3 "rounds" to win 1 game in a BoX series.

Most people think winning by timeouts is fine, w/e play to win within the rules. I personally have no problems with it. It's just that it's anti-hype, and if we could avoid it at top8 stream, most people would definitely want to. Ask if whether we want ylink-jiggs timing eachother out in the top8 OR they don't, most people would prefer that they don't.

Revven

FrankerZ
If the majority of the crowd can stick out and watch SFxT finals like... last year's, they can stick out and watch Melee finals with Puff vs YLink.

SFxT last year was among the most boring finals ever. In fact, SFxT sees more timeouts than other FGs and people still watch it... (even WITH the patch from January)

Really, don't worry about it. And more importantly, don't boo the players please. Especially Hbox, he gets a lot of hate for something that the general crowd at EVO wouldn't see much wrong with.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
If the FGC can handle the fury of the soulfist, they can handle a young link v. ness match. Of course, that's even assuming we get hungrybox v armada at some point.

Revven

FrankerZ
can i trust you? :(

Yes, just go look up SFxT Top 4 EVO 2012 and you'll see some really boring matches. Like, if you even think Jiggs vs Y.Link is boring, you haven't seen boring until you've seen SFxT from last year. It's even a TEAMS match and it's boring! You'd think TEAMS of all things wouldn't be boring but it is. Total snoozefest and the crowd still stuck around watching it.

Jiggs vs Y Link is hype compared to SFxT from last year.

Oohwakamuu

Smash Rookie
I was a small time competitive melee player years ago. I even lurked on these boards (the old version?) honing my game. Nowadays, I'm a frequent SRK and Eventhubs poster and play the games they tend to cover. I also go to Evo every single year since I live in Las Vegas. So I think I have a good grasp on our (yes our) fighting game community.

I find that people are 99% incredibly courteous to all the games. The vitriol in our community mostly comes from online people hiding behind usernames and their computers. People are much nicer in person.

In fact, I remember when Blazblue was doing their top 8 in the morning on one Sunday, we all cheered. I had no idea how the game worked, but I and many others asked people who were more familiar with the game how mechanics work. That interaction made everyone closer and it happens a lot during Evo weekend.

Long story short. I'm sure we're all going to support this scene. I'd be embarrassed if anyone booed. Smash brings hype. And by the way, we tend to cheer low tier characters and their players. Not boo them!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo hbox don't let 'em do it to you

America's more important than that

you gotta keep bein the hero we need, not the one we deserve

Battlecow

Play to Win
The mango puff tho (@ 40min)

I believe in it

it doesn't even need to be real

it just needs to be kind of sort of a little real and then he can win the CP game

not gonna happen tho

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
excessive booing and jeering = resulted in my hastened playstyle set two of of apex 2012 GF

please respect players and playstyles. they're doing it because they have to, not necessarily because they want to.
We got your back Hbox - don´t worry. I think more and more smashers realize what you said. Hope you get a very high placing - though I´m not allowed to cheer for you vs Armada. :p But anyway good luck dude!

smashmachine

Smash Lord
you guys clearly missed the PR Balrog vs Green Ace match at CEO, that was 3 timeout wins by PR Rog (lololol)

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
please respect players and playstyles. they're doing it because they have to, not necessarily because they want to.
I absolutely agree with respecting players. We are all in this together and we have an amazing community.

Playstyles are different. A playstyle that tries to bore the other player into losing, IMHO should never be respected. You can't be an a**hole while playing and expect it to have no consequences. Just because it can be a part of the game, doesn't mean it has to be part of your game.

Mr P

Smash Ace
excessive booing and jeering = resulted in my hastened playstyle set two of of apex 2012 GF

Absolutely, it is completely classless and disrespectful to boo any player whether you like them or not and i hope players and fans are respectful to eachother at EVO.

BUT.... you must surely understand why it is you are not a crowd favourite ? You are obviously incredibly skilled at the game but your playstyle is hideous and although it is probably what comes naturally to you, it is not the only way to play the game whilst being that good, therefore i wouldn't say that what you do was "necessary". The young link puff matchup is inherently boring to most people and you could argue that the way you both play is necessary in that particular case but yeah.... i hope you can appreciate why it is that the crowd are not always behind you.

Massive

Smash Champion
I feel like this thread has accomplished its goal.
Somebody should probably close it before it turns into even more of a mudslinger.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
I don't even find Hungrybox's style boring or anything. I mean, yeah, Puff dittoes are tedious, but I find his matches as or more interesting than, for example, most matches of Fox/Falco/Falcon destroying each other.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If you really find his playstyle hideous then you aren't someone that can appreciate the intricacies of his play and you arent someone that should judge in the first place without understanding what's happening on screen.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
i love soul fist, I love hungrybox/young link matches
ppl just dont know how to appreciate

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
If you really find his playstyle hideous then you aren't someone that can appreciate the intricacies of his play and you arent someone that should judge in the first place without understanding what's happening on screen.
That's the same as saying "if you dislike it, your opinion doesn't matter".

I'm not that good at smash. I played with Armada a few days ago and I don't think I took more than one stock once. I don't get the chance to inspire others with my skills. Even though the best players all do everything to win, I'd like to think that they also want the game to continue evolving in a positive direction. I think that stalling and camping (also splitting for other reasons) all are steps backwards.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's the same as saying "if you dislike it, your opinion doesn't matter".

I'm not that good at smash. I played with Armada a few days ago and I don't think I took more than one stock once. I don't get the chance to inspire others with my skills. Even though the best players all do everything to win, I'd like to think that they also want the game to continue evolving in a positive direction. I think that stalling and camping (also splitting for other reasons) all are steps backwards.
Really? No it's really not, it's about understanding the decision behind the player's minds. Without the full understanding behind that, someone isn't qualified to make a proper statement about it. You can say whatever you want but the stream monster talk isn't going to cut it if you actually want evolution. Do you really think he cares about how little you think of him? Why should he cater to the opinions of the masses? He shouldn't have to, he can play however he wants.. if you dislike it then hold that **** and beat him, it's the ONLY way you can force him to switch it up.. if not you can keep talking trash its not going to change anything.

Luma

Smash Lord
reminds me of what amsah used to say about seeing fox/falco/falcon combo the **** out of each other is rather boring and i couldnt agree more

Mr P

Smash Ace

Not true, i understand exactly how good hungrybox is and to say that i can't make a judgement on whether his playstyle is boring or not based on the fact that i am not as good as he is is stupid. If that is true then there are only about 4 other people in the world who are allowed to make any comment on how he plays the game.

Hungrybox's playstyle is very basic in comparison to how Mango plays with puff but he is equally if not more effective with the character, but if you had to ask me which puff i would rather watch it would be mango's puff anyday because you know he is not just going to try and space his opponent out with back air for large portions of the match, he even uses n-air !

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Although I agree that I would rather watch Mango's puff than hbox's, hbox can still be very entertaining to watch. His jigglypuff is very finely tuned. He has a specific strategy for every situation which covers and protects against several options. He has good spacing, timing, and patience. You can learn a lot by watching him, even if you don't end up applying what you observe in the same way that he does. You need to have a pretty good understanding of the game to appreciate his style I think, and even then his style is repetitive enough that I can fully understand why you wouldn't enjoy watching him.

You play the game to win though. If that's how he plays best, that's how he's gonna play.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
Really? No it's really not, it's about understanding the decision behind the player's minds. Without the full understanding behind that, someone isn't qualified to make a proper statement about it. You can say whatever you want but the stream monster talk isn't going to cut it if you actually want evolution. Do you really think he cares about how little you think of him? Why should he cater to the opinions of the masses? He shouldn't have to, he can play however he wants.. if you dislike it then hold that **** and beat him, it's the ONLY way you can force him to switch it up.. if not you can keep talking trash its not going to change anything.
First of all, no hate. Please, don't misinterpret this as trash talk.
I have heard nothing but good things about Hbox as a person. He seems really swell.

I can't beat him, but that doesn't mean all my thoughts are invalid. If his playstyle is boring or unentertaining, I think he should get to hear it. Nothing I have written here had anything to do with forcing him to change, but a response to his weird opinion about respecting playstyles. I only respect playstyles that are/would be fun to play with.
To win and to earn respect are not the same thing.

Top Bottom