• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omaha Weekly Smashfests

cue

Smash Journeyman
Got my first taste of MK competition tonight and watched a tournament stream as well. Surprise Kung Lao won. MK9 thoughts: Great Presentation, Poor Execution. Kinda exemplifies the differences between East and West Game Development, Japan nails the gameplay and the execution in SF4/MVC3, while America nails the Presentation and Tech with MK9's Fatalities, Story Mode, and Rich Features.

this was taken from a post a old fighting game friend of mine posted... couldn't agree more

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
SF4's gameplay is worse than previous street fighters. I'll admit I haven't played the finished version yet, but MK9's demo gameplay was better than most of the other MK's.

Echo

Smash Champion
To anybody that knows MK, MK9 is a very good game. Really if you have never been into Mortal Kombat before, you're probably not going to see that. It's easily the best to date.

It's all a matter of opinion though, I mean I never would have gotten into Smash at all if I wasn't ever having fun with it first. I have fun with MK games, people have fun with Capcom fighters, it is what it is.

The only thing that is for certain, is that brawl is terrible.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Kung lao is not rigged. I just watched a tourney of some ot the best fighters (chris G, Li Joe old umk3 player), and both were in grand finals reptile vs ermac. 3rd place was kung lao though and he ***** everyone else bad but those two.

I also agree with david about poor execution is required to do stuff in the game. Also america is definetly better at making story lines as far as fighting games go yes.

Ssf4 you can't complain about. games been patched since the first version and new chars. Also AE is coming out soon. Im pretty sure SF community mostly preferes 3rd or ssf4

Echo

Smash Champion
Someone is going to have to explain to me how the combos are poorly executed. I guess poor execution is perfect timing, knowledge of your moveset, how close or far you are from corners, etc...

Kung Lao is most definetely rigged, but moreso online than off. Harder to punish.

:phone:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Ayo Nebraska.

Who's going to Brainshock Beta?

Im going whether its with a car or by myself. Might wanna do teamsies with one you sexy cats ;)

KyloWinter

Smash Ace
Someone is going to have to explain to me how the combos are poorly executed. I guess poor execution is perfect timing, knowledge of your moveset, how close or far you are from corners, etc...

Kung Lao is most definetely rigged, but moreso online than off. Harder to punish.

I think he means the game is poorly executed, not the combos.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Lol TC this thread is mostly for meleers, but I'll team with you man :3 I think rob is done playing teams with me

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Thugz I'd still team with you but you need to quit killing me or knocking me out of team combos. We should have beaten JLO and Becca, I had them off stage and JLO was deaad cause he's Dorf, and you come in and nair me and Becca. JLO gets the ledge, Becca bairs me and you just sit there and grinning at me moronally. i.e. you need to practice.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Can someone host games Thursday night? I'm out of town all weekend and I want to get games in for the week or else I'll get rusty =(

Echo

Smash Champion
So what are you trying to say, doing an easy combo is easy? People can do death combos in MvC3 the first 10 minutes they play it. Probably wont be doing the pro combos... but hey I guess I can ignore that based on what you're saying.

You're talking about taking a character in that game and (im assuming) talking about some of his long masterful combos, but then comparing it to a 44% with raiden... compare it to like, an 80% with kung lao. Then after you can do that, go do some morph combos with Shang Tsung... then we can talk about how easy the combos are. I mean a 44% with raiden was prob like 3 hits into an x-ray or something.

I mean the game just came out, I don't see why people are so quick to bash it... but you can look up this dude Check if you want to see some godly combos.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Check's combos are difficult but everything is buffered, and i don't respect that. Its not true timing to me smash has spots of it, mvc does too but not nearly as much as mk.

Raiden's combo doesn't involve an xray, and if it did it would only do 7 or 8 percent more cuz of damage scaling.

My point is im not seeing myself having to get more technical as far as midscreen and and corner combos go with my character(raiden/noob atm). Its not just raiden either, sub-zero kabal and other chars are easy to kombo with too. In comparison to MvC i think the need to know combos have stricter timing and less buffering which makes it more difficult to perform. Just my opinion.

I was watching Mexi pressure the comp with low jab jumping kick for low/overhead pressure, and the comp couldn't move. Expert mode comps. If this is how the game will work even against human players then im done with the game.

Don't get me wrong Echo i really want to like this game, get good at it, and go to tourneys for it, but im not sure its a good game yet for competition.

Echo

Smash Champion
I think you have the wrong idea of what buffering is... you can buffer moves, yes... but to imply the combo system is all buffering is redic.

About jabs, you're watching Mexi play, that's all he does... so I can see why you get that impression, but trust me, you can get out. He greatly hinders his gameplay by relying on jabs too much, whether it be combos, pressure, whatever. However, Lui Kangs pressure games arguably the best right now, so when he's on your block its hard, but that's what he needs to do to be a good chr.

I mean if its not your thing, that's cool... but you shouldn't have a false impression. The mechanics can't be that simple for you if you couldn't beat kahn on norm.

Echo

Smash Champion
On that note does anyone wanna game today? psn is still down, and auras is this weekend.

MaJiK

Smash Ace
I was watching Mexi pressure the comp with low jab jumping kick for low/overhead pressure, and the comp couldn't move. Expert mode comps. If this is how the game will work even against human players then im done with the game.

Don't get me wrong Echo i really want to like this game, get good at it, and go to tourneys for it, but im not sure its a good game yet for competition.
trust me when i say thats poor mapping on the comps end. I was getting out of those and punishing mexi all night (sorry dude :p )
but I've played both games (mk as intently as i could in a couple hours) and i do have to agree about difficulty. with the 3v3 gameplay you have to execute difficult 80% combos on 3 chars to win one match. the easiest way to put it is if the hardest combos in the game of MK only did 23% damage and being forced to execute those combos with limited buffering

i'll give mk a chance but its the 64 of smash
that match is gonna end hard and fast with a limited number of buffered combos

hope this has helped you allz communicate better

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Perhaps im being ignorant about it, but characters like scorp smoke sub raiden all have alot of buffer to them, and thats not difficult.

My problem with shao kahn on normal is his super armor is gay, and i have to block everything then i get juked by a stun hammer.

Echo

Smash Champion
JBM, I think I see what you're saying, you're not talking about the juggle, you're talking about the dial combos that are already set for the chrs. Yeah those can be mashed in.

Tony, I agree with your input except for one thing... breakers. Remember when I tried to teach you UMK3? Think of this game like that but just a bit more fair.

My phones about to die fml.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
was watching Mexi pressure the comp with low jab jumping kick for low/overhead pressure, and the comp couldn't move. Expert mode comps. If this is how the game will work even against human players then im done with the game.
The way you beat the computer is way different than people. For instance. In Street Fighter 2, all you have to do to beat the computer is play as Ken/Ryu and crouch/block the entire match and wait for the computer to approach, and once they are next to you, fierce punch. They will try jumping over you, the moment you flip around, fierce punch. repeat. I went PERFECT in the arcade with this strategy and made 3 dollars in quarters at skateland that day, when I was in 5th grade :) This does NOT work on humans because you will get grabbed.

On that note does anyone wanna game today? psn is still down, and auras is this weekend.
Tonight is my last night of work for a while, but I am way down for games at like 9:30.

did any of you guys ever play star gladiator? best fighter ever
I have played it, but I am more familiar with the Dreamcast sequel. Mexi is pretty good at that game, I just space and button mash and win two-thirds of the time.

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
Nebraska is lolz

MvC3 is ezmode compared to MK9. Why do you need heavy execution when you can create unblockables, turn random supers into kills, and play characters that have 15 frames of super armor? Magneto isn't even that hard. Anyone with hands can get his fierce loop down in an hour. I stopped playing that game because my team of Mags Wesker Ammy is like free wins. It's a really bad game.

BPx

Smash Lord
Nebraska is lolz

MvC3 is ezmode compared to MK9. Why do you need heavy execution when you can create unblockables, turn random supers into kills, and play characters that have 15 frames of super armor? Magneto isn't even that hard. Anyone with hands can get his fierce loop down in an hour. I stopped playing that game because my team of Mags Wesker Ammy is like free wins. It's a really bad game.
rofl
10rofl:troll:s

MaJiK

Smash Ace
Nebraska is lolz

trollololololoolololololololol

Originally Posted by echo View Post
mk9 pr

1. Echo
2. Mk mike
3. Robs cat
4. Majik
5. Robs sister
6. Mega man
7. Jbm
8. Cue

how am i under the cat? and im a close 3rd for 1st bro....

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Raith your not omaha so ur opinion is **** esp since you be trolling.

mk list

echo
mk mike
Jake
Cue-JBM
Majik
Shawn

From what i've gathered.

Top Bottom