• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Special Moves Update

Monkeyjr352

Smash Cadet
It appears that this character will depend a lot of more on strategy than the average character. It shall be fun to try him out.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
1) This is just yet another example of Sakurai taking what I thought was a generally bad idea (putting Olimar on the roster) and making it work. Incorporating the Pikmin into his moveset the way he did was brilliant, and he now looks like an amazing character, and one that will be very fun to use.

2) I must have a 4-way all-Olimar fight at some point.

3) This game is the father of my children. I can't deny it any more.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
I like how cool his up B is. I also like how most of his moves is the same way as he plays in Pikmin.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
Pikmin Spike

Wouldn't it be awesome if you can use Purple Pikmin to spike?

A Character is trying to recover, throw a Purple Pikmin, and the Purple Pikmin slams down on the character and both of them fly down and die.

Pikmin Spike!

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
Olimar's B in Mid Air = ?
I expect a major fast falling buttstomp...or maybe it does nothing - we'll see
It'll most likely be exactly like other moves that require the ground such as peach's and DK's Down-B's: nothing will happen in the air.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you can use Purple Pikmin to spike?

A Character is trying to recover, throw a Purple Pikmin, and the Purple Pikmin slams down on the character and both of them fly down and die.

Pikmin Spike!
If someone can pull this off I might be persuaded main Olimer. :laugh:

I'm just wondering about his pikmin throw. will it be like yoshi's eggbomb in that you can aim it, or can you only throw forward? If it's directional, I would have the most fun ever suiciding countless pikmin at Pit or metaknight while they tries to fly back on stage :chuckle:

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
"You speak treason!!!""Fluently."- Doctor Who

Olimar looks like an awesome character!!! His attacks are completely unique and look like they'll make some awesome combo attacks. I still wonder one thing though. How does Olimar Kirby work? I think that Kirby can only have one Pikmin on the field at a time and tapping B pulls a Pikmin out, tapping B again throws it, and one more tap of B calls it back.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
It'll most likely be exactly like other moves that require the ground such as peach's and DK's Down-B's: nothing will happen in the air.
I was thinking about Sonic's Down B - which as we all know is a Downwards Diagonal Kick when activated in the air...
We just have to wait and see.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking how taking on Bowser, or anyone with fire abilities such as Mario of even Fox with his Up+B, is a hazard for the Pikmin that aren't red. The Spicy Curry is the Anti-Olimar. Snake should have a field day with his explosives. Even Zelda must have a fire-spell out there.

...I'm not even going to mention Charizard. On the lava-based Norfair level. With Spicy Curry.

But do note, he says that the type of ground dictates what kind of Pikmin you get. This means, the area defines what you get, they could bias towards red Pikmin in fire stages to keep things even.

Overall, this guy tops Trainer as the most technical Smasher ever. One on one I can't imagine it being too hard, but in a Brawl with this guy sniping people with Pikmin he's a priority target.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Very good update. He has all very unique, very cool moves. A lot of my friends plan on maining him now, such an original character!

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping the ground up special will be just like Ivy Lick on SC, slamming them into the ground.

Also, I hope the recovery will fling olimar up like a whip. It's not like the pikmin can retract like the clawshot, and he would be slow to climb 6 pikmin.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Neat move set! Glad he is in!

I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to say that Order Change is what will make Olimar a high tiered character. Even if it does take some time it adds to the mind game and allows you to switch things up for a more focused strategy. Olimar will definitely take a lot of strategy to play correctly but I'm going to guess that in the end the fact that he's essentially 5 clone characters in one (Same moves but with different properties) is going to make him one of the better brawlers. Of course that all depends on the specifics of how his moves work and some of the underlying properties common to all forms of his moves however Sakurai seems to be giving him a lot of love and Olimar seems some what quick so I'm guessing the drawback of requiring minions will be enough to give him speed and power.

Yep that is going out on a limb alright, to suggest he is high tiered this early.

crush_T_asain

Smash Apprentice
for his pikmin pluck would it be charable to acces the bulb or flower instead of seeds because in the pikmin games longer you left them in the ground they would grow into the diff bulbs...im expecting(as everyone else is)that they do more dmg when flowered

Star105

Smash Journeyman
Do the flowers mean anything? Or random decoration?
Also, ingenious recovery move. You need careful management of your pikmin.
Finally, does the "attributes" really matter? In previous games, fire and electric were merely graphical differences, but didn't affect damage at all....
well maybe in this game it is different

so lets say its olmar fighting mario( or any other fire types) and olmar throws a blue pikmin and mario just shoots a fire ball and blocks it. but if you throw the red pikmin it will go through the fire ball to latch on.

very interesting move set he will be a fun character to play as.

smash158

Smash Rookie
smash icon theory

im assuming you guys know about the icon theory but i found something out his number is 22 so we're still missing 19 just sayin looks like good character might use him

jmdm78

Smash Cadet
Ok I'll share my toughts
but before for the ones asking about the flowers, In the game the pikmin start having a leave, then a "bulb" (sorry for any mistake English is not my main) and then a Flower, they change over the time so i think in smash it will be the same I your pikmin survives enough time they will get the flower...
Pikmin with flowers are Faster, Stronger, etc...

I think you can throw pikmin with Standar Attack (A) like Items but makes me doubt about side A ...
or at least Other characters can? what do you think?
I think the purple pikmin will be like bonsly (you can throw it for massive damage but short ranged)
The guy who said that yellow pikmin could carry bombs (note: not bob-ombs) is a genious
why? because in the game Y.Pikmin can carry bombs so it sounds logical...
I wonder if Olimar's taunt will be affected by Having/lacking pikmins..

If you have any questions about Pikmin games ask me... I woul like to see what do you think

Edit: Speculating about his FSmash ... In pikmin 2 there were items called Sprays, 2 types Purple and Pink. The purple petrifies the enemy and the pink gives your pikmin a Power Boost... So I think The FSmash of Olimar could be the Sprays.. used both together...
(note: if sprays are used on enemy pikmin they will get buried , this could happen in brawl too :) )

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Ok I'll share my toughts
but before for the ones asking about the flowers, In the game the pikmin start having a leave, then a "bulb" (sorry for any mistake English is not my main) and then a Flower, they change over the time so i think in smash it will be the same I your pikmin survives enough time they will get the flower...
Pikmin with flowers are Faster, Stronger, etc...

I think you can throw pikmin with Standar Attack (A) like Items but makes me doubt about side A ...
or at least Other characters can? what do you think?
I think the purple pikmin will be like bonsly (you can throw it for massive damage but short ranged)
The guy who said that yellow pikmin could carry bombs (note: not bob-ombs) is a genious
why? because in the game Y.Pikmin can carry bombs so it sounds logical...
I wonder if Olimar's taunt will be affected by Having/lacking pikmins..

If you have any questions about Pikmin games ask me... I woul like to see what do you think

Edit: Speculating about his FSmash ... In pikmin 2 there were items called Sprays, 2 types Purple and Pink. The purple petrifies the enemy and the pink gives your pikmin a Power Boost... So I think The FSmash of Olimar could be the Sprays.. used both together...
(note: if sprays are used on enemy pikmin they will get buried , this could happen in brawl too :) )
Excellent points and your English is fine.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I just realized he used the tether recovery on the Rumble Falls stage. Sakurai said "Imagine what would have happened if you had one less Pikmin!" Or something along those lines. The thing that went through my head was... "Uh... you land on a lower platform and jump up? Not so bad. More mindgames."

Bad choice in level to show that move off, but I am rather surprised it's so open out on the right and left. Perhaps you can no longer walk off the stage, it seems.((Like in Icicle Mountain.))

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna venture to guess that Olimar is the new Jigglypuff. Newbs think he sucks and is an easy kill, but people that have played with him (or against someone that knows how to play him) will know how dangerous he can be... and delight in using him to wipe the smirk off of the face of random newbies.

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
Olimar seems more like Ice Climbers to me. They are along the same lines Jiggs is (unpredictable), but Icys and Olimar are dependent on their partner(s). Olimar will probably have a long B-up than Icys at full strength. Can't wait to see the two clash.

courte

Smash Lord
can't wait

to see how they take hits... attacked one at a time?? can olimar call in air--likely not

what if only olimar is knocked off and needs to get back after the second jump?? do the pikmin follow him, get hit with him, scurry to the edge, teleport to him, or perhaps only appear next to him only when close

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Oh! I totally forgot the sprays...but I doubt they would be fit for a final smash...more like just a pickup item sort of like Freezie.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
lol @ all the people who are saying Olimar sucks. Do you even know what micro is? It's not what's in your pants, buddy...

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Olimar will suck. His moves are so stupidly gimmicky.

Without Pikmin, OLIMAR IS USELESS. He can't do anything USEFUL without them. A fast character could simply kill them off very easily (and they don't die from touching the KO Blast Line).

He also has to PULL PIKMIN FROM THE GROUND which results in SEVERE LAG for him.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Olimar will suck. His moves are so stupidly gimmicky.

Without Pikmin, OLIMAR IS USELESS. He can't do anything USEFUL without them. A fast character could simply kill them off very easily (and they don't die from touching the KO Blast Line).

He also has to PULL PIKMIN FROM THE GROUND which results in SEVERE LAG for him.
If IC players can manage with Popo, Olimar players can manage without pikmin, it's just the strong moves need them.

I did notice something strange, pictures on the Dojo show bud and flower pikmin, how do you get them?

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how much knockback will the purple Pikmins have and how much effect will they have on Shields, That alone could make the character quite broken in the hands of a skilled player with a Hit and Run strategy in Brawls, Of course we don't know how well he'll do in 1-1 Duels.

Top Bottom