• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Special Moves Update

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
See how the Pikmin help make up Olimar's unique fighting style.

Today's update revealed the Special Moves of our most recent newcomer, (Pikmin &) Olimar. And better still, it details all four of them!

Standard Special Move: Pikmin Pluck​
As the move states, this is where Olimar plucks Pikmin from the ground for use in his other Special Moves. You obviously have to be on the ground to perform this move, and you can pluck any of the five Pikmin colours. The Dojo states that different terrain types have a different likelihood of having certain Pikmin colours show up.

The five Pikmin colours each have different properties.:
Red: Have High attack power, Attacks damage with fire, and are immune to fire.
Yellow: Have a larger range of attack, can be thrown farther then other Pikmin, and attacks damage with electricity.
Blue: Are stronger when thrown, and are able to take hits better then other Pikmin.
Purple: Are slower then other Pikmin, and don't fly as far when thrown. When thrown, they slam into the enemy for higher damage, rather then latch on and attack.
White: Are faster then the other Pikmin types, and their poisonous properties deal additional damage to enemies.

You can tell which Pikmin you will throw next by the order in which they follow you. Pikmin are apparently needed for Olimar's Smash Attacks, some midair attacks, and his throws. But they are also crucial to the remainder of his Special Moves:

Side Special Move: Pikmin Throw

The Pikmin Throw is the classic move from the Pikmin games. Throw Pikmin onto your opponents to have them latch on and deal damage to your enemies! As noted above, the Purple Pikmin is unique in that he doesn't latch on.

Up Special Move: Pikmin Chain

Olimar's recovery move is unique, as its range is affected by how many Pikmin you have. This move is a tether recovery, so the Pikmin will form a chain and seek out the nearest edge. The more Pikmin you have, the better the chances are for your survival.

Down Special Move: Pikmin Order

This move recalls any Pikmin that may have gotten separated from Olimar, as well as changes which Pikmin will be thrown next.

Pikmin are extremely important to Olimar's moveset, so be sure to take care of them!

Don't treat your Pikmin like this.​

Link to original post: [drupal=433]Olimar's Special Moves Update[/drupal]

Ragzito

Smash Rookie
I like Olimar's moveset and the fact that Sakurai didn't leave out any of his specials in the update. It's also good to see Diddy getting hit rather than DDD for a change. On to final smash speculation!

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about that myself. Yours seems like a good suggestion, where Kirby pulls up Pikmin "items" like Peach's Down Special, rather then real Pikmin.

But then we wouldn't get to see the awesomeness of Kirby ordering a bunch of Pikmin around... :(

Sola

Smash Rookie
So how will Kirby co-opt Olimar's neutral B? Will the pikmin Kirby pulls up be throwing objects?
I suppose they'd aid him somehow on his smashes, aerials, and throw attacks like they do for Olimar.

This update gives a lot to think about. I wonder just how often "more likely to appear in specific types of flooring" means. It also begs the question of how hard Pikmin are for the opponent to kill.

Since a lot of stages, especially the smaller/neutral ones, don't vary much in terms of flooring, I guess stage choice will be a significant factor in Olimar's strategy, as well as the opponents he is playing against (Red Pikmin for characters with fire moves and such, maybe yellow Pikmin would be ideal against fast characters?)

From the screenshot, it looks like his Down B might take some time to use, which makes it seem like switching between Pikmin colors might not be too quick. That is, it's not instant at least.

I wonder how much difference the speed attribute makes, since they seem to be in an ordered line in all of the screenshots.

As a side note, whenever I see the Pikmin ghosts, I'm reminded of the moon spirits from Illusion of Gaia.

Pigking2020

Smash Rookie
Definitely a very unique move set for a very unique character. I am just wondering how fast his picking takes and how long his Pikmin last, because I feel that those are gonna be the major factors in how good he is.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai must really love Pikmin & Olimar.
The update is huge.

and I didn't know random guys could update the blog.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
this is pretty amazing, the detail of it all. red immune to fire and so on? that's... incredible. so if you Falcon Punch a red Pikmin, it does nothing? assuming of course Falcon returns ><

c'mon Falcon : (

this update... I like Olimar a little more now, but still kinda dislike the idea. As long as he doesn't end up having gay chainthrow/wobbles like Ice Climbers I'll be okay with him.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Do the flowers mean anything? Or random decoration?
Also, ingenious recovery move. You need careful management of your pikmin.
Finally, does the "attributes" really matter? In previous games, fire and electric were merely graphical differences, but didn't affect damage at all....

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how many people reading the Dojo know what the word "incendiary" means. Seems like Nate would use a smaller word like "fiery" .

at RandomGuy, it was both a pun a reference to everyone.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Sakurai must really love Pikmin & Olimar.
The update is huge.

and I didn't know random guys could update the blog.
There not random, they are awesome, go pik up (hehehehe pun) a copy of pikmin.

this is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
Ah, in that case, not everyone can. I got permission a few months ago when Kirby King wanted to recruit some writers for the blog.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
yeah Olimar is very unique, he will be too hard to play at a high lvl though if his pikmin pull and his whistle arent able to be pulled off quickly. I expect Olimar to be an overall low-lag char to match his style.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to say that Order Change is what will make Olimar a high tiered character. Even if it does take some time it adds to the mind game and allows you to switch things up for a more focused strategy. Olimar will definitely take a lot of strategy to play correctly but I'm going to guess that in the end the fact that he's essentially 5 clone characters in one (Same moves but with different properties) is going to make him one of the better brawlers. Of course that all depends on the specifics of how his moves work and some of the underlying properties common to all forms of his moves however Sakurai seems to be giving him a lot of love and Olimar seems some what quick so I'm guessing the drawback of requiring minions will be enough to give him speed and power.

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
Nothing to supprising here. It's basically the same moveset that everyone else came up with. Whats funny is that he has basically every move (except his up b, thats new) from the Pikmin games. I really can't wait to play him!

Olimar is low tier.

Let it be known.
Tires don exits

I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to say that Order Change is what will make Olimar a high tiered character. Even if it does take some time it adds to the mind game and allows you to switch things up for a more focused strategy. Olimar will definitely take a lot of strategy to play correctly but I'm going to guess that in the end the fact that he's essentially 5 clone characters in one (Same moves but with different properties) is going to make him one of the better brawlers. Of course that all depends on the specifics of how his moves work and some of the underlying properties common to all forms of his moves however Sakurai seems to be giving him a lot of love and Olimar seems some what quick so I'm guessing the drawback of requiring minions will be enough to give him speed and power.
You have to remember the random factor with the Pikmin, taht could prove either fantastic or match breaking

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
ah, okay, so that's how kirby's B will work if he sucks up olimar. Just going to be dependent on pikmin for all of his normal attacks....I hope these normal attacks pack a punch then. I also hope that it doesn't take too long to pluck out new pikmin, preferably the turnip plucking speed peach has now.

I see the glaring problems of not having enough pikmin when using up+b as well....:(

Eaode

Smash Champion
Really awesome and Unique moveset for Olimar. I really see him becoming one of the most strategic and creative characters in the game.

Also, @ OP, Purple Pikmin fly less far when thrown, not more.

Athos

Smash Cadet
I just wanted to point out. What's the blue pikmin doing to the red pikmin in the shot of Diddy?

kamakun

Smash Cadet
Peach isn't dependent on her Pluck, and Olimar is really dependent on it. Olimar should be faster than Peach. (Idk how fast it is already, though)

I wonder how ^B would work when already on the ground

09MurphyM

Smash Rookie
Has anyone else noticed that olimar's pikmin chain is the only special move not actually from either pikmin game?

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
Those pikmin better be devastating when you hit with them. Always having to stop to repick, and futhermore, having to be conservative with your offense (since you'll be stuck without enough pikmans to grapple a ledge if you get knocked off), having your opponent interupt your pickups, having to stop to rearrange your randomly pulled pikmans into a different order, etc. So many additional things to think about.

He's a real interesting character, but he might either be the best character ever or the worst. He's just too different.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
His specials are just too cool.

I have no idea if he'll be a competitive character or not, but he'll no doubt be an awesome one.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
1) I'm hoping you can hold B to do a rapid fire Pikmin pick
2) I LOVE his Moveset, it's exactly what I (and we all) wanted!
3) I don't see the electric effect, but the incendiary effect is seen quite well here:

4) Contrary to what someone thinks, I believe that the Pikmin Order move will be quite fast - imagine activating it like a Fox's shine, then continue moving. The Pikmin will all leave their enemies and immediately run over to you in the required order - you don't need to be standing still for the Pikmin to return/change order.
5) My idea on what happens with Kirby is (aside from the cool hat he'd have) that the Pikmin can be plucked and are then throwing items. Pluck 1 and it'll be ready to be thrown. I think that's the best way to do it.

LuigiKing_Pwns

Smash Cadet
Best week EVAR and more to come

wow..... just wow.... havent seen a week like this in a while.... and that screenshot with diddy getting owned by the pikmin...what da hell is the blue pikmin doing to the red pikmin

Lord SeBz

Smash Journeyman
wow..... just wow.... havent seen a week like this in a while.... and that screenshot with diddy getting owned by the pikmin...what da hell is the blue pikmin doing to the red pikmin
they were continuing from were they left off...

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
****it, i knew his up-B would require you to have pikmin, this is one of the reasons ice climbers was hard to play imo, cause nana was always in the wrong place. other than that he looks like hes god an awesome move set, i cant wait to see what his arials and smashes are like

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Wow, I actually got a prediction right for once. Is Olimar only the second character that Sakurai has given us a full moveset for?

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
Judging from the Pikmin game, I know for a fact the Pikmin Throw special is gonna be very quick. Also I need some possible answers to these questions : would it be possible to shake the Pikmin off when they latch on to you much like Lipstick?

And about Olimar's up B. When the chain is done linking does he climb it like a ladder or end up on the edge zipping all the way up to the edge like Link's hook shot?

Now that that's aside for now; I enjoyed this update. Mainly cause the yellow pikmin is buttsecsking Diddy. :]

P.S - Captain Olimar haters can burn themselves with fire.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Wouldn't it be cool if there would be a ~1% chance that when a yellow Pikmin is plucked it would holds a bomb?

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Wow, I actually got a prediction right for once. Is Olimar only the second character that Sakurai has given us a full moveset for?
no.....that would be Meta Knight, Link, Lucas, and Olimar in that order

Wouldn't it be cool if there would be a ~1% chance that when a yellow Pikmin is plucked it would holds a bomb?
YES!!!!!!!!!....but also if the bomb explodes and if any pikmin were caught in the explosion, they'll die like just in the game

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
if they dont give this week a 9 or 10 in the podcast than their standards are too high and they have a 1-8 scale

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
If Olimar would have been the monday update, then yes. But i expect a 6. That would be my rating. Melee Stages part 2 SUCKED! After a week without updates AND three weeks before release we get this? No thanks. If Olimar would have been the monday update, I would have given a 8.5.

Top Bottom