• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Special Moves Update

D

Deleted member

Aw, Sakurai is telling kids to pull up every flower in their path while fighting. The sucker who listens is gonna get owned. This is worse than shooting money out of a cannon XD

Lame joke aside, Olimar Kirby will be pretty useless:(

Suska

Smash Apprentice
I LOVE HIS SPECIAL MOVES!!! It's exactly what I had hoped he would have.
lol, I was just talking about how, he'd have a tether recovery yesterday with my friend strangely enough

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess Olimar is more of a long range fighter. Fortunately, he can torment foes like Bowser with his arsenal of Pikmin.

I wonder if the purple Pikmin can send foes flying as their damage increases. They are tubby and don't latch onto opponents like the red, blue, and yellow Pikmin.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Looks like a moveset someone made earlier.

Olimar appears to be able to pile up damage fast.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
Great update. Olimar looks perfect as far as i can see.

What worries me is the numerous character updates we have been getting lately. Why? because this kind of supports the theory that DOJO!!! will close after japanese release.

AlbinoMonk

Smash Cadet
Who needs it after? We'll have all the info within like 4 days from our friendly friends over in Japan! :D

Olimar looks fantastic, definitely my first character to try when Brawl comes out. Up B....I'm kinda torn. It'd definitely be the FUNNIEST to pull off, but what would happen if, say, you were with 6 pikmin and you only needed 3 to get to the ledge? would it fail like samus/link/ylink's grapples in melee or would it adapt and have a double-strength chain?

Also I still think that these are the starting roster and they haven't dipped into the secret characters yet

P-Lock

Smash Rookie
I think it would sweet spot the edge, kinda like what some of the other recovery moves were doing in the E4All videos.
Olimar looks like a fun character to play as though. And am I the only one who thinks he might be a great partner in doubles? I mean if he has a little more support in plucking the Pikmin and keeping them alive, he could rack up damage like there's no tomorrow.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
You fail at creating good names for you threads/topics.

Aside from that, I like Olimar's moves, very much like those in the game!

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
[/CENTER]
This Move will be fast! Look at it.
Olimar picks a Pikmin and 2 other, he picked earlyer still flying. In the Pikmin Games he picked the Pikmin really fast, too.

Mr.L

Smash Rookie
I like it due in part it is going to be interesting using these moves like the pikmin chain and then throw them and attach them to foes like a plasma grenade:)

TomH

Smash Journeyman
I bet the B down move is a zero lag move when your characters are already lined up (as in if you were standing in place, you could click it 3 times and your characters would reorder 3 places forward), so you could basically be in midair and just press "B B B Fair" and hit with the 4th guy in the order instead of the 1st. For some reason i'm imagining that this is going to be Chu Dat's new main >.>

Azamgi

Smash Rookie
Wow! Olimar looks a lot better than I imagined him.

He seems to keep very true to his roots. Except for the Pikmin chain. But that is so awesome, it really does not matter!

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
Good update, I find Olimar to be a very unique and fascinating character, despite my initial reservations. His move also raise a number of questions.

1. In the games, Pikmin started with leaves on their head, then 'leveled up' to buds then flowers. I notice a mix of them in the screens, so I wonder how this dynamic will work in game. Will they 'level up' by performing attacks? Is it just random? Does it even effect their abilities?

2. As great of a ledge grab his Up-B is, it seems to be lacking any other functionality. I wonder if it will have any other uses. Personally, I was kinda thinking it could work a bit like Captain Falcon's Up-B, where the Pikmin chain latches onto a higher character, pulls Olimar up to the character, then Olimar knocks him away.

3. His complete lack of offensive specials seems a bit worrisome, really makes me wonder about his A moves. Pikmin throw looks interesting, but it seems to but just a damage-over-time thing then really knocking a character (other then the purple one).

4. A large amount of Olimar's play style seems like it will rely on the Pikmin's survivability, which brings the question of not only how easy it will be to kill them, but whether his moves "spend" the Pikmin, causing him to resummon constantly, or if they survive and can be reused for another move.

5. Are the Pikmin's different abilities exclusive to themselves, or does Olimar gain speed/power just by having them nearby? If so, will the benefits be determined by which Pikmin is first in line, or is it a combined boost by all the Pikmin?

Just the questions that immeadiatly pop into my head after seeing this update.

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
Now after seeing Olimar's Special Moves I believe I am going to try "main"ing with him. There's so much strategy involved! Like do I want to keep the order of my pikimin random or do I want to create a line or purple pikimin by using the B Special and Down-B Special precisely. And I'm betting that since he lacks both a Up and Down Hit move in his Specials, that his Smash Attacks and grabs are going to be rather strong.

He's going to take some work but I believe I can get good with him... I'll just have to know exactly the effect of each different color is.

Mains Now:
Link
Pit
Lucas
Olimar
Jigglypuff

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
this has convinced me to use olimer.

ths week is a 10/10

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice

There's something hilarious about this screenshot, it just looks so absurd, all of them hanging there. Olimar's moves are sort of like Captain Falcon's in that they're somewhat bizarre and quite funny to watch because of it.

Now thanks to these moves I can't decide between Olimar, Pit, PT and Metaknight to use first :confused:

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
haha havign 4 olimars seems impossible to know whats happening

most of this update is great tho...but i think that up b move is a waste.....that should be his grab not his up b

i mean can it grab on upper ledges and not just the bottom ledge? or attack? or gain air for olimar?.....seems lame to me

what it needs to be able to do is grab opponents in the air and drag em down---that'd be cool

but i guess we'll see

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
Good update, I find Olimar to be a very unique and fascinating character, despite my initial reservations. His move also raise a number of questions.

1. In the games, Pikmin started with leaves on their head, then 'leveled up' to buds then flowers. I notice a mix of them in the screens, so I wonder how this dynamic will work in game. Will they 'level up' by performing attacks? Is it just random? Does it even effect their abilities?

2. As great of a ledge grab his Up-B is, it seems to be lacking any other functionality. I wonder if it will have any other uses. Personally, I was kinda thinking it could work a bit like Captain Falcon's Up-B, where the Pikmin chain latches onto a higher character, pulls Olimar up to the character, then Olimar knocks him away.

3. His complete lack of offensive specials seems a bit worrisome, really makes me wonder about his A moves. Pikmin throw looks interesting, but it seems to but just a damage-over-time thing then really knocking a character (other then the purple one).

4. A large amount of Olimar's play style seems like it will rely on the Pikmin's survivability, which brings the question of not only how easy it will be to kill them, but whether his moves "spend" the Pikmin, causing him to resummon constantly, or if they survive and can be reused for another move.

5. Are the Pikmin's different abilities exclusive to themselves, or does Olimar gain speed/power just by having them nearby? If so, will the benefits be determined by which Pikmin is first in line, or is it a combined boost by all the Pikmin?

Just the questions that immeadiatly pop into my head after seeing this update.

yeh exactly...excellent questions

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
I'm excited to see how he'll play on different levels, since different terrain spawns different Pikmin. I could imagine having more blue Pikmin on the Summit, and more Reds in Norfair. I think he'll be a really specialized character.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696

Whats so awesome about this question is it made me realize that Olimar's moves make him exactly like the game of Pikmin. Your entire game relies on you keeping your Pikin alive and healthy enough to protect you. I am really glad they implemented a way to put this into Olimar's moves in Brawl. The only thing that seems risky to me is his Up B. I'd feel safer if it wasn't a tether recovery. I guess they improved tether recoveries in Brawl... but in Melee they where really hard to do. Well With Link. Samus wasn't so bad.

Good update. I like it.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
What a great week! A week off seems to be just what they needed!
Now I'm even more pumped for Brawl next month!

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I have to agree on one of the biggest factors being the survivability rate of the Pikmin themselves. But I think the other major factor that will determine how versatile and survivabile OLIMAR is, is how fast his Pimin Pluck is.
Peach's turnips come out pretty darn fast, and Peach's pull out A LOT of turnips (for the peach players i hang out with), but Peach usually throws them right away, because the opponent tries to take that time to their advantage to get in and attack. This is what I'm worried about.

Will Olimar be able to pluck, defend himself from the attack (the one that tries to take advantage of him pulling pikmin from the ground), and be able to regroup without much difficulty or loss of Pikmin?

atom-smasher

Smash Rookie
I think that for me olimar might end up on my "goofing around because im bored list" but i wont know till I try it and also i wonder if the pikmin will act on their own like nana when others get to close
can any won say pikmin mob for a final smash:chuckle:

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
This is actually just how I predicted it. Seriously, I was just talking with my friend about his moves yesterday. I predicted the Pikmin pluch, the stack up Pikmin recovery and the throwing Pikmin. The only thing I didn't predict right was the whistle thing, which I should've remembered in the first place. Olimar FTW! I'm going to play Pikmin today to celebrate.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
If his moves are as fast as they are in the actual Pikmin games, Olimar will be incredible. For those who haven't played them: Olimar can pluck probably two pikmin a second, and can throw them about as fast as you can push the button. The whistle also starts up right away, but begins by only affecting a small area and then grows rapidly after that. You can also hold it down and move.

His standard moves better be pretty darn powerful to make up for the complete lack of knockback moves in his specials (except thrown purple pikmin).

I suspect that Olimar will rock 1v1s but get owned at FFA's. You can have all six pikmin damaging one guy and be laughing at him but then you have nothing to protect you when the other two guys come and beat up on you. It seems like Olimar can really only attack one person at a time.

The only solution I can see to this is if he has solid A moves that don't actually "use up" the pikmin that he currently has.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'm buying either Pikmin game the first chance I see it. I gotta see what this dude's about.

I'm leaning more towards Pikmin 2 cuz I don't want a time limit cuz I'm really slow figuring stuff like this out and I'd like a chance to explore.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Such an interesting moveset. It seems that Captain Olimar will be a good character to me. He could be a dangerous foe at high levels of play.

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
I can imagine Wario about to bite Olimar, but Olimar quickly tosses a white pikmin in his mouth. Warios like 0_0, falls on his back dead, and the little "enemy ghost" animation from the pikmin games comes out of him.

Twintail

Smash Cadet
I'm liking it as well, but I am wondering what the "electric" status will be. Like pokemon how it interupts you at random times or something else? And how will kirby be able to use the pikmin, he'd only be able to pick them up, he cant throw em or anything, maybe the pikmin have some AI or something? Hmmm... too much to consider without actually being able to play him...

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
He looks like a pretty fun and challenging character who revolves around setting up (kinda like some characters in other 2D fighters). A big proportion of a P&O player's challenge would be getting his Pikmin out to make him/herself stronger. The only semi-gripe that I have is his recovery. Pikmin Chain.... yeah, it's going to suck if he gets gimped without his second jump and didn't have all his Pikmin yet. I wish he could have gotten at least either a different recovery or a secondary recovery (like Ice Climbers' Side-B). Anyway, Olimar looks quite fun and interesting to play.

Top Bottom