• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Matchups (The numbers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
mario is 60-40 olimar, monk said so.

try up tilting or nairing his nair
This doesn’t make it law. Each character’s metagame changes every month. The game is still evolving, not set in stone.

I do, and it does work sometimes--the problem is that it is difficult to time correctly and extremely easy for mario to approach like that (it ends up in his favor >50% of the time). His edgegames are what really crush me though. If Im off the edge at all in this matchup Im dead; olimars weakness = marios strength. Maybe its just my playstyle or something but this is easily my hardest matchup.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Really? Do you have any videos we could take a look at? I haven't had any problems with Mario. Try just throwing your pikmin and creating fsmash walls. If he gets too close for comfort, try to meet him in the air with nair or upair. That's what works for me? Are you saying you can't shieldgrab him?

asob4

Smash Champion
i think you're not playing it right. he has fast moves we all know this. so stay away from him. chuck pikmin and use retreating f/bairs.

what i get is that you're standing in one place when he approaches with an obvious nair and proceeds to combo you.

when monk says something involving mario, you listen hahha

geekd

Smash Apprentice
Sorry but no vids

I never sit still; I hate seeing people play olimar like a turret. I just prefer playing agressively to being patient. When playing characters quicker than olimar I seem to win by controling the speed of the match, but with mario im spent. I'm sure I'll figure it out with more practice though. Any serious/specific pointers would be appreciated.

Once again its his ledgegames that really kill me

Thanks for the help

asob4

Smash Champion
what are his ledgegames like?
ledge hopped bairs? nairs? i would assume.

save your jump and go in with a rising up air. it'll work every time.
rising nair may also work

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I think Lucario and Meta Knight should both go to even.

Lucario has priority on every aerial that olimar has...while olly could kill him earlier...lack of chaining ability and difficulty landing kill moves makes me believe this matchup is at least even.

Meta Knight - I know that he's a pain in everyone's behind...but listen to me guys...meta has no range...no strong priority below him, and diagonals are really hard for him to survive...olly can win this matchup with only using up air, up smash, and up b. I don't think the matchup is as hard as the community believes.

asob4

Smash Champion
we have advantage on lucario, sometimes i think it's even but oli can't be combo'd well and that's where lucario shines. oli also can't be chaingrabbed and outranges him on the ground. keep your space and save the up smash
there's nothing they can do.
WAC also helps A LOT

i've noticed that about MK too. i OWNED my friend MK mostly with up smash > up smash > up air > up b
there was nothing he can do. and he is a good MK too.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
what are his ledgegames like?
ledge hopped bairs? nairs? i would assume.

save your jump and go in with a rising up air. it'll work every time.
rising nair may also work
Fludd keeps me far away and he can ledgestall with his cape to prevent me from knocking him off with any purple pikmin or attack. Literally I get gimped at least once a match

asob4

Smash Champion
Fludd keeps me far away and he can ledgestall with his cape to prevent me from knocking him off with any purple pikmin or attack. Literally I get gimped at least once a match
try recovering high as that should solve your problem with fludd.
can you airdodge fludd?
also, you can go low with your jump saved so you can do a rising up air to get him away. keep in mind the up air goes through the stage

geekd

Smash Apprentice
I always have to go high--its my best bet. Pikmin chain is only as good as the little jump it gives. Once he sees my second jump though then he comes at me with the fludd (can't airdodge) to cape-stalled-edgehog. If I go low he just goes right to edgehog. My roomate plays a savage mario

I don't think there is a solution to this predicament other than staying on the stage.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can move MK back to 60-40, b/c I've noticed what you said Shrink, but to say that it's even is bit much. His speed and gimping is just too much for Olimar. Olimar can't WAC his killers reliably(dsmash is just too fast and it can be spammed) or his juggling.(upair is too fast)

I agree with what Asob said about lucario. Olimar's range and his floatyness help a lot.

Edit: Anyone else agree that peach should be more than just 35-65? Maybe like 25-75?

ZSSonDelfino

Smash Cadet
I think Ness has a clear but small advantage over Olimar b/c if you camp, he has PK fire and PK thunder and even PK flash. Plus Ness has good aerials and Olimar hates thems.
The Game and Watch lover was right though....Olimar is an under-dog against him. I'd say 60-40 in GaW's favor. All of his aerials come at such an angle that Olimar would have trouble hitting him. Plus GaW's forward smash and forward tilt last a long time and are long ranged. Also GaW has the always cheap side-b >=(. Also his down aerial has a large hitbox and is easily maneuverable so it really isn't that punishable. GaW also has the advantage of being able to recover well and not be helpless afterwards. His projectile is erratic too and can bug a camping Olimar.
DK is at such a large disadvantage though. Honestly it isn't even fair. Olimar is faster, longer ranged, has an amazing grab and literally can't be hit by a lot of DK's aerials. DK is just too big of a target and pikmen toss is good against him. Plus his recovery is almost as bad as Olimar's

shanus

Smash Hero
we def. have the advantage on lucario, WAC'ing his moves makes it so hard for him to kill us, you basically have to walk into a throw at high % or eat a fsmash/dsmash

Saying MK is even is too far of a stretch, but its definitely not overly unbalanced in his favor.

I have no issues with ness or gaw, I don't know what you guys are doing and I've played plenty of top rated gaw's and very good ness's

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
we def. have the advantage on lucario, WAC'ing his moves makes it so hard for him to kill us, you basically have to walk into a throw at high % or eat a fsmash/dsmash

Saying MK is even is too far of a stretch, but its definitely not overly unbalanced in his favor.

I have no issues with ness or gaw, I don't know what you guys are doing and I've played plenty of top rated gaw's and very good ness's
Game and Watch down tilt on the edge on yoshi's story...go try it :D

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
*sigh* ok here are my changes based on tournament and friendly matches with FL's best of each of these characters.

King DeDeDe: 65-35 to 50-50

olimar does not have advantage in this matchup. While Olimar can do amazingly on the stage, when he's thrown off (one grab), he's in danger of his stock immediatly.

Lucas: 50-50 to 40-60

There is more for me to learn about this matchup, but from previous tournament matches I've learned that lucas can pressure olimar LIKE CRAZY.

Snake: 60-40 to 50-50

Olimar doesn't have advantages vs. snake that out - advantage - the tilt power that snake has.

Wolf: 60-40 to 35-65

I have yet to beat our best wolf. If he can space properly, there is almost no way that Olimar can approach wolf. (wall of bairs)

Fox: 55-45 to 40-60

Same deal as Lucas. Fox can pressure olimar pretty solidly, and he makes it near impossible to shield grab. Fox's drill will go through your moves and he can grab before you can.

Wario: 50-50 to 40-60

Wario's SUPERARMOUR ***** olimar. All he has to do is jump in the air back and forth and outprioritize you to win. (dair pls?)

Yoshi: 40-60 to 55-45

I beat Pride (USA's best Yoshi) very easily. It's all about the shield grabs.

ROB: 30-70 (is this one a joke?) to 65-35

Our best robs get 2 stocked by me. CAMP CAMP CAMP and you will beat any rob.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
DDD-seriously? DDD doesn't have anything on Olimar besides gimping, which can be completely avoided by just camping and running away when he gets too close. You can throw pikmin over ftilt, and that clears out any options he has to approach. You can shield grab everything else. Everyone has the advantage over Olimar regarding recovery. It's not enough to change it to even IMO.

Lucas-I actually agree here, but I think Ness is even with Olimar. Have you fought Seanson? He's a beast.

Snake-uggghh, I hate talking about this matchup, cuz it confuses me. You just have to camp while you throw your pikmin, WHILE YOU'RE STANDING. Don't SH your pikmin throw against Snake cuz he'll dash in with his mortar slide. His attacks aren't fast enough to kill the pikmin, without getting grabbed from the after lag. You can shieldgrab ftilt. Just shield shield shield against Snake. His throws don't kill very well, so just risk getting grabbed. You can spike his recovery so try and dsmash more than fsmash cuz it'll send him at a lower trajectory. His cypher won't get high enough after the dsmash for you to miss getting to spike him.

Wolf- I don't have enough experience to go in depth about this matchup.

Fox- I've fought a good fox, and I'm not sure about this one. I know you have to be very mobile to win this one.

Wario-We've discussed this matchup in the matchup thread. I just checked Blueshells wario guide and he agrees as well that it's even. You have to uptilt dair and move around a lot. If you stand in one place the entire match, you'll lose.

Rob: I'm not really sure about this one either. I know Olimar has the disadvantage, but as to how big a disadvantage it is, I'm really not sure. 65-35 or 70-30 both sound about right.

Lukenessmonster

Smash Apprentice
i say that mk is a big disadvantage because of his amount of jumps and dair and can just take you off the stage. i dont understand why ness is a disadvantage, even though i use ness as a thirddary.

asob4

Smash Champion
wolf is an advantage because one grab is a guaranteed 50% or more since he can be chain grabbed and comboed from there.
pivot grab around his bairs and up tilt beats his annoying fsmash.
he also has bad recovery so you can gimp him no problem
you can space better than he can

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
^why yes it is. You think it's advantaged for Olimar here shrink?

Puddin

Smash Lord
DK is at such a large disadvantage though. Honestly it isn't even fair. Olimar is faster, longer ranged, has an amazing grab and literally can't be hit by a lot of DK's aerials. DK is just too big of a target and pikmen toss is good against him. Plus his recovery is almost as bad as Olimar's
What are the numbers for DK? I would like to say it's even because of DKs fists of fury (which kill Pikmin) but thats about it :ohwell: So 60-40 us, or even?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think it's even, but some other people think it's an advantage and some think it's a disadvantage.(including Mr. X) I need to get some more responses about it before I change anything.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
DK - I honestly believe that we have a small advantage - 55/45...and my reasoning is simply - I focus on the grab game...dk is put in a bad position when he gets dthrow at any percent. The only option he has is to jump high and head for the edge. This is due to the fact that where he ends up for dthrow says that if he airdodges - he gets pivotgrabbed...if he jumps, he gets up aired. If he fairs, bairs, nairs, upair - he can get up smashed...and if he dairs...well...then just wait and grab him again. If DK is up in the air...he has no answer to DK - My doubles partner is dk and he HATES this matchup.

Lucas - Man...Seanson is sooooo effin good. However, he has not beat me in a tourney in singles once. Its not b/c of skill either...he won the tourney I wasn't at and I haven't seen him get lower than 3rd. I would say olly 60/40...wayyyy easier than Ness. Here are some vids that show this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUAoOEQN1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7XLcuuUuuw

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm bringing this back up b/c I'm questioning some of this for my matchup thread. Here are some things I think should be changed:

Bowser- 65/35 to 70/30
It's just like Charizard, but easier to combo and he doesn't have as many approaching options. It's just too easy to be 65/35.

Samus-65/35 to 70/30
It's ****. Olimar's projectiles eliminate Samus' projectile game. Samus' zair is rendered almost useless b/c of Olimar's short height. His height makes it too hard for her to approach with. she's also very floaty, making her an easy target.

Zelda- 60/40 to 65/35
Umm... Olimar outcamps her and she doesn't have any approaches on Olimar. That simple.

Rob- 30/70 to 35/65
this is really only from my personal experience and is completely bias. It's not as hard as you guys are making it out to be. You just have to learn when it's safe to grab and when it's not. Yah got to throw your pikmin at mercilessly. He doesn't have very many solid approaching options.

Peach- 35/65 to 30/70
In reality, it's harder than 35/65. This is easily Olimar's worst matchup imo.

MK-40/60 to 45/55?
I've heard several different things about him including some people saying it's even and some saying it's not disadvantaged for Olimar and so on and so forth.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'd even be willing to place the Rob matchup at 40/60 or even 45/55

whodat

Smash Apprentice
I agree ROB isn't as bad as you are making him out to be. I have played basically the best ROBs on the east coast and actually never have problems with this matchup. ROB can't out camp olimar so that forces the ROB player to be agressive which isn't a strong suit.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Bowser: That sounds accurate. If Olimar gets Bowser in a grab at low % (which is pretty easy to do) that's 0-60+ easily. Bowser can't approach, but he has to in this matchup, as Olimar easily outcamps him.

Samus: yup, Fb is the key here.

Zelda: I seriously have no idea why people make such a big deal about din's fire. just airdodge/spotdodge/wac when it comes. If she tries to shiny blue diamond thingy all the pikmin away, then oli can go in for a grab. the sparkly heel is hard to land on oli cuz hes so tiny.

ROB: yeah, from my personal experience, it's not the biggest disadvantage ever. Not exactly an enjoyable matchup, but doing things like holding onto the gyrotop and spamming Fb and UpB can really mess with a ROB.

Peach: not enough experience to have a stance.

MK: I'd actually keep it where it is. I think because there are so many MK's out there it isn't as daunting to fight one thanks to experience, but it's still not exactly a fun matchup. MK swats away pikmin and he is difficult to grab/space.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
*bump*

I moved Rob down to 35/65 and peach up to 30/70.

I'm considering moving ike to 70/30. Do others agree with me? It's just too easy.

asob4

Smash Champion
it is too easy, you can grab and build damage then camp if necessary
once he's off stage it's over

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I'm bringing this back up b/c I'm questioning some of this for my matchup thread. Here are some things I think should be changed:

Bowser- 65/35 to 70/30
It's just like Charizard, but easier to combo and he doesn't have as many approaching options. It's just too easy to be 65/35.

Samus-65/35 to 70/30
It's ****. Olimar's projectiles eliminate Samus' projectile game. Samus' zair is rendered almost useless b/c of Olimar's short height. His height makes it too hard for her to approach with. she's also very floaty, making her an easy target.

Zelda- 60/40 to 65/35
Umm... Olimar outcamps her and she doesn't have any approaches on Olimar. That simple.

Rob- 30/70 to 35/65
this is really only from my personal experience and is completely bias. It's not as hard as you guys are making it out to be. You just have to learn when it's safe to grab and when it's not. Yah got to throw your pikmin at mercilessly. He doesn't have very many solid approaching options.

Peach- 35/65 to 30/70
In reality, it's harder than 35/65. This is easily Olimar's worst matchup imo.

MK-40/60 to 45/55?
I've heard several different things about him including some people saying it's even and some saying it's not disadvantaged for Olimar and so on and so forth.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'd even be willing to place the Rob matchup at 40/60 or even 45/55
Bowser: Yes
Samus: Yes
Zelda: Sure
Rob: 40/60. This matchup really isn't that bad.
Peach: Absolutely, but I think Weegee should be changed. 35/65, though drastic is what I really feel. I just can't stand them...
Mk: 45/55 Sounds about right.
Ike: 70/30. Too easy.

Honestly though, Weegee needs to be pushed into more of a disadvantage. You can't touch him while hes in the air, which he almost always is.

asob4

Smash Champion
up b and up tilt stop all his aerial approaches. dtilt stops nado
just stay grounded and it shouldn't be too hard

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Samus-65/35 to 70/30

Samus is Olimar's punching bag.

Therefore Olimar>>>>>>>>>>>>Samus

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Ok. If this was brought up before point me to the pages. I'm lazy and I don't remember if we talked about his. Anyway why is Wolf 60-40? He is one of my worst match ups. Fsmash, laser, reflector. Those 3 things usually win the match for Wolf. I'll argue this more later, but maybe it's just me.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
If wolf spams you, spam your grabs and space yourself. You can't get whined at for spamming if they spam themselves, which is really what the majority of wolves do now.

asob4

Smash Champion
and if they're good then it is rather easy to outplay them and they will spam bair more than anything and it is easy to get around/whistle
combo'd + bad recovery = owned by oli

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
whats your opinion on dk vs olimar?

most of the dk's think its his advantages due to how retardedly low olimar dies (30's if you go with the 9 wind punch) i'd say 60-40 dk, but i wanna here your opinion first

asob4

Smash Champion
whats your opinion on dk vs olimar?

most of the dk's think its his advantages due to how retardedly low olimar dies (30's if you go with the 9 wind punch) i'd say 60-40 dk, but i wanna here your opinion first
you know my opinion >_>
play you at axis if you make it

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Olimar has a slight edge on Dk, but the ape still hurts a ton. Once you hit 60% you need to play 70% defensively. His fsmash, punch and dsmash hurt. Watch out for fsmash the most.

Dk for top tier. Hes good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom