• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Matchup Thread (Old thread)

Steam

Smash Hero
Sheik

Sheik. But I don't know how well a secondary Sheik will go over. What olimar(s) are in your area?
ones that don't know how to whistle armor or pivot grab but can still win because the character counters my mains that hard. I actually found the most success olimar dittoing him with my first time olimar :urg:

Last edited:

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Has there been a discussion of Olimar vs Sonic (Particularly Hammer side-b)? In the past two tournaments, I lost 3 sets to Norcal's top sonic. The hammer's priority is stronger than that of vanilla spindash and is much harder to space/grab around. I always struggle against the hammer although I think I do decently against sonic's default moveset.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Has there been a discussion of Olimar vs Sonic (Particularly Hammer side-b)? In the past two tournaments, I lost 3 sets to Norcal's top sonic. The hammer's priority is stronger than that of vanilla spindash and is much harder to space/grab around. I always struggle against the hammer although I think I do decently against sonic's default moveset.
I know the feeling. That customs makes you work so hard for almost nothing as a reward. Your best bet is to just fight it like you would normal spindash, but respect it's faster movement. You can still fsmash it away if it hits a pikmin if the sonic gets reckless. Just run away a lot, and make sure your movement is clean so you don't get hit when you try to throw pikmin. Try to make sure you're power shielding a lot of his stuff too so you have a greater chance to punish.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Hey Olimars, we're discussing the Olimar MU over at the Greninja boards this week and we'd love some input from Olimar players. We really don't know what to make of this MU since it's so rarely played but most of us are leaning towards even, though some people think Olimar beats Greninja slightly.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey Olimars, we're discussing the Olimar MU over at the Greninja boards this week and we'd love some input from Olimar players. We really don't know what to make of this MU since it's so rarely played but most of us are leaning towards even, though some people think Olimar beats Greninja slightly.
Does Akashic Sword frequent your boards?

Last edited:

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Myran could you throw out some need to know stuff in the Luigi matchup?

Primarily, what we should be doing in Neutral. Combo shiz. Things to look out for/ counterplay and stages.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Myran could you throw out some need to know stuff in the Luigi matchup?

Primarily, what we should be doing in Neutral. Combo shiz. Things to look out for/ counterplay and stages.
Just to clarify, but you want me to go into the Luigi MU thread right? I can do that later today.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Nooooooo lol. By we, I mean Olimar. Like what does Olimar do vs Luigi.

Every time I see a video with Oli vs Luigi with players of similar skill Luigi generally wins. I can see it being a hard matchup, and with so many Luigi's popping up everywhere. Some tips for us vs Luigi would probably be pretty welcome right about now.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Alright so for the Luigi MU you wanna keep in mind a few of things. First off his fireballs are safe on standard shielding. Second his throws are where he will do most of his work. Lastly his traction is bad so if you hit his shield he will slide away.

With that said Luigi players are usually gonna try and space you out with fireballs until they can get a grab follow up. Power shielding works well with these, and stopping them with Pikmin works even better in some cases. Fsmash is a great tool for going through fireballs, and can catch Luigi players off guard if they run in after the fireball looks like it will hit. Just keep camping him out with your superior projectiles, and punish when he tries to run in.

Now about his throws. We all know that Luigi capitlizes huge off a throw. That means you need to constantly keep him away or on the defensive to make it so he can't be going for them. Pivot fsmashes and grabs are great tools to keep space in between you, and purple side-b is a solid tool to get him away whenever you can't use a smash or aerial. Don't be afraid to catch him with your jab and dtilt. They are your fastest low commitment tools that will at most clank with him. When he does grab you just try to mix up your DI so he won't always be ready for certain follow ups.

Luigi players will try to catch you off guard with their fireballs, and mix ups in the up close game. Just be ready for what they have, and try to keep your space. Whistle is a solid way to land after being popped up from a Luigi juggle, it can let you land for free and even give you punishes. I highly recommend more Olimar players work this into their landing tools. You can even use the whistle on the ground if you read an attack.

If you guys have any specific questions feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to discuss this MU with you guys.

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
Seriously, guys, how do you deal with Yoshi? For a while, I've been using Olimar as my tryhard main (I "main" lots of characters: with Olimar, Duck Hunt, Jigglypuff and Charizard), and since my most used character is Duck Hunt, I have actually managed to survive with a very defensive, campy style. Whenever I faced a Yoshi player, I usually switched to Olimar, which net me great results, so I thought I knew the matchup; however, I recently faced in tournaments a couple good Yoshi players and I struggled A LOT.
I used to just play the defensive-keep away game, by throwing Pikmin, running away from him, and whenever he tried to approach with f-airs or n-airs, I just spaced pivot grabs to rack up damage with the d-throw to f-air/u-air combo. The problem started to come when they started counter-camping with eggs, and that made things much, much more difficult for me. I could no longer space pivot grabs or barely anything, and I can only escape or play the keep-away game for so long before they started capitalizing on my defensive maneuvers, since Olimar has very limited escaping options, especially against a rushdown character with a godlike aerial game such as Yoshi. Attempting an aerial escape is extremely risky, so, as far as I know, I can only try to roll and hope he doesn't catch up on the pattern. I had the most trouble getting up from the ledge and regaining stage control, since they all just spammed aerials, which outpriotitize our smashes/aerials and are so damn fast, so if I managed to get past him in a ledgeguard situation, it was due to sheer luck/bad reads from them. I'm truly at a loss against such a character, and it's getting really frustrating, since they can literally apply extreme pressure by just pressing A... it's ridiculous! :(
TL;DR: Yoshi is broken, how do I Olimar against him?

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Try to go to big stages that let you run. Then out camp him with side b. Once you get multiple purples you can start taking stage control with side b and punish his ledge recoveries. You can out camp him, but you need to get comfortable in dodging eggs while throwing Pikmin.

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
No... Delfino is what Yoshi wants since low ceiling. I like FD, but T&C can work as well.
But T&C also has low ceilings. Is Duck Hunt ok? I heard it was one of the best stages for Olimar. Anyways, thank you for your suggestions!

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Delfino doesn't have a lot of room to run, and he can shark with uairs.
Some advices against the Sheik MU? I'm still waiting for someone to answer my request some time ago.
Or is nothing we can do and we must select another character to face him off?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Some advices against the Sheik MU? I'm still waiting for someone to answer my request some time ago.
You have to power shield the attacks and disrupt her approach with purples. Her frame data is superior so you have to punish her attacks on you. Use your Pikmin to increase the lag on her moves, and practice the one frame punish on the ledge recoveries with yellow dsmash.

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
In addition to Myran, Its also worth mentioning sheik's fall speed and weight. Blue up-throw kills reliably at 120% with decent rage. Her fall speed allows high damage combos with d-throw to f-smash guaranteed at %'s around 20 and under. A thing I like to do against sheik is dtilt lock her due to her fall speed. It works from about 20~ to 35~% and can normally follow up with a strong uair or even grab/dsmash if they waste their jump. Knowing sheik's limited kill options is key to winning the matchup as anyone. Sheik doesn't have kill throws so shielding on the ground will restrict her to aerial chases. Her forward air comes out a couple frames before our whistle super armor so it makes it tough to use that move against her in the air although it can be strong against the bouncing fish. Until the sheik misinputs with something like a dash attack, I'm only looking for blue pivot grabs to kill.
I'm looking to post on the boards more often :p

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Thank you guys, yesterday I was practicing against a good Sheik and take your advices, worked a lot for me.
I need more experience against the MU, so I will keep trying to defeat my lack of knowledge.
The thing that work a lot for me was, shielding on ground, don't go for gimp, don't trade hits on air, abuse the ground control and use the pikmins to lag her moves.
Awesome guys, thank you a lot.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Have you guys done greninja/luigi next?
Alright so for the Luigi MU you wanna keep in mind a few of things. First off his fireballs are safe on standard shielding. Second his throws are where he will do most of his work. Lastly his traction is bad so if you hit his shield he will slide away.

With that said Luigi players are usually gonna try and space you out with fireballs until they can get a grab follow up. Power shielding works well with these, and stopping them with Pikmin works even better in some cases. Fsmash is a great tool for going through fireballs, and can catch Luigi players off guard if they run in after the fireball looks like it will hit. Just keep camping him out with your superior projectiles, and punish when he tries to run in.

Now about his throws. We all know that Luigi capitlizes huge off a throw. That means you need to constantly keep him away or on the defensive to make it so he can't be going for them. Pivot fsmashes and grabs are great tools to keep space in between you, and purple side-b is a solid tool to get him away whenever you can't use a smash or aerial. Don't be afraid to catch him with your jab and dtilt. They are your fastest low commitment tools that will at most clank with him. When he does grab you just try to mix up your DI so he won't always be ready for certain follow ups.

Luigi players will try to catch you off guard with their fireballs, and mix ups in the up close game. Just be ready for what they have, and try to keep your space. Whistle is a solid way to land after being popped up from a Luigi juggle, it can let you land for free and even give you punishes. I highly recommend more Olimar players work this into their landing tools. You can even use the whistle on the ground if you read an attack.

If you guys have any specific questions feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to discuss this MU with you guys.

^^^
Uhhhh let's all not overlook the use of the scroll button...luigi matchup was summarized by myran..

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
For Greninja Just keep in mind that most of his kill moves mainly are very laggy(Upsmash/down smash/side smash/fair) besides his fully charged water shurikan but even then they have a decent amount of range so dont neccesarily count them out. Upsmash sweetspotted right above his head can kill you very surprisngly early so becareful if you chose to nair into him and do that nair to utilt/upsmash combo.

First thing that comes to my mind would be him catching us with his random fair's he tends to get them when you roll towards him and you get punished.
Barring that, Basically its a bread and butter thing where your basic side B spam/Pivot his landings and approaches/powershielding/mixing it up goes along way. When he uses his hydro pump tho, be smart about it so when you happen to recover high and fall into helpless he can use it to gimp you..it happens. Also when he uses his shadow sneak its very punishable always keep an eye out for that shadow and punish accordingly (IE power shield fsmash)
He may try to use his counter , and just to note, a pikmin latched onto him can activate it. Its not one of the best counters so you can literally just shield it..

Beware of his jab , I'd say thats one of his biggest tools he will be using alot in this matchup besides sh water shurikans,and sh nairs, spacing yourself really is a good option to consider to avoid close combat jabs anyways,but if he does the entire jab you could either sdi out of it or just spam the up b to get out and then nair/dair to punish. As far as the nair approach punish when he lands with pivot smashes/grabs, always keep at least one pikmin there latched to keep the pressure on him.

When recovering high he can use upair to juggle you and becomes a kill move around the 100 + range assuming rage is a factor so always mix up your recoveries.
Always use purples to disrupt his approaches and his game in general. He can recover using the side b shadow (vertical recovery) then UP hydro pump so keep that in mind if you decide to chase him off the stage.
Edge guards would include his shadow sneak and mixups with that as well keep that in mind..

Don't ever be stationary.

Thats all I remember for now as far as that matchup goes.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Olimar/Greninja is a bit of a rare MU so there's not much in the way of experience for us to talk about. From my experience against the good Olimars in Anther's the MU seemed even after I started to learn how it worked but that's pretty much all we have.

But by the way most good Greninja players won't charge the Shadow Sneak while you're on the ground as it's much better as mix-up option that's used to fake opponents out. He can charge it when you're offstage though and Shadow Sneak is a very efficient edgeguarding tool.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Olimar/Greninja is a bit of a rare MU so there's not much in the way of experience for us to talk about. From my experience against the good Olimars in Anther's the MU seemed even after I started to learn how it worked but that's pretty much all we have.

But by the way most good Greninja players won't charge the Shadow Sneak while you're on the ground as it's much better as mix-up option that's used to fake opponents out. He can charge it when you're offstage though and Shadow Sneak is a very efficient edgeguarding tool.
http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames/b/665996852?t=104m30s

This is a decent game I think.

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Although people will argue that Shulk is an Olimar counter, I feel its the opposite. I enjoy playing against him because now not only do I have to pay attention to my own pikmin, but to his arts as well. The arts drastically change each play style of Shulk and that's pretty much the key to beating him. Things worth mentioning are Shulk's lack of approach options. When one dashes at you, its more than likely it'll short hop a nair. Out of shield jabs into grabs are strong because of Shulk's poor frame data leaving him very vulnerable out of hitstun. Of course we all know this matchup is infamous for Shulk being able to counter each individual pikmin tick. Remember that the vision cannot be shielded. However, any shulk that abuses this against Olimar is a bad Shulk. Because the individual pikmin are proc'ing the counter, Olimar is not set in an attack animation as if you were to fsmash his counter. This makes it so you can act while he is in his "I SEE IT" animation. Shulk is also in slow motion in this window and Olimar is not (Correct me if I'm wrong) so even with the worst reaction speed you should be able to simply jump and avoid the hit. Now for the arts. I tend to mostly avoid shulk in jump stance because I just don't like dealing with it LOL. I think of Speed Shulk as Grab Shulk and, even in this stance, still has limited approach options, basically just adding a great dash grab to this kit and a possible out of shield jab combo. Shield is easy to camp and can combo him from 0-999% using up throw to various aerials. Buster is kinda where the match isn't super jank and we can easily out-space Shulk when he doesn't have one of the insane mobility buffs. Smash Monado displays smash 4 at its finest where a smash attack from either character will result in a kill at 70. Be wary of the down throw however.

Unfortunately my last Shulk set wasn't recorded or else I'd have some really great video evidence :(

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hey, Steve! I heard you're a good trooper! :p

Hello, explorers of the great unknown, the Falco boards started their ongoing Olimar/Alph & Pikmin discussion and would like some help learning more about the dorky critters that help Olimar and Alph on the adventures. Link: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4...alph-pikmin-i-aint-your-buddy-go-away.405988/.

And if you want some friendlies or just want to learn more about the Falco MU through battles, then check here: http://smashboards.com/threads/anyone-want-to-exchange-nnids-or-friend-codes.386513/.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Shulk is also in slow motion in this window and Olimar is not (Correct me if I'm wrong) so even with the worst reaction speed you should be able to simply jump and avoid the hit.
There's an area of effect around Shulk when Vision activates that slows down anyone within it. I think Shulk himself is moving at normal speed.

Are you factoring in the alternate counterattack move for Vision? Shulk has a faster, alternative attack for the ground version that requires an input from the player.

Last edited:

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
There's an area of effect around Shulk when Vision activates that slows down anyone within it. I think Shulk himself is moving at normal speed.

Are you factoring in the alternate counterattack move for Vision? Shulk has a faster, alternative attack for the ground version that requires an input from the player.
I actually had no idea of the counterattack in shulk's downb. I assume it can be handled the same way though because I can confirm that Olimar is not affected by the "slow-mo" that comes with the down-b when its proc'd by a projectile.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Although people will argue that Shulk is an Olimar counter, I feel its the opposite. I enjoy playing against him because now not only do I have to pay attention to my own pikmin, but to his arts as well. The arts drastically change each play style of Shulk and that's pretty much the key to beating him. Things worth mentioning are Shulk's lack of approach options. When one dashes at you, its more than likely it'll short hop a nair. Out of shield jabs into grabs are strong because of Shulk's poor frame data leaving him very vulnerable out of hitstun. Of course we all know this matchup is infamous for Shulk being able to counter each individual pikmin tick. Remember that the vision cannot be shielded. However, any shulk that abuses this against Olimar is a bad Shulk. Because the individual pikmin are proc'ing the counter, Olimar is not set in an attack animation as if you were to fsmash his counter. This makes it so you can act while he is in his "I SEE IT" animation. Shulk is also in slow motion in this window and Olimar is not (Correct me if I'm wrong) so even with the worst reaction speed you should be able to simply jump and avoid the hit. Now for the arts. I tend to mostly avoid shulk in jump stance because I just don't like dealing with it LOL. I think of Speed Shulk as Grab Shulk and, even in this stance, still has limited approach options, basically just adding a great dash grab to this kit and a possible out of shield jab combo. Shield is easy to camp and can combo him from 0-999% using up throw to various aerials. Buster is kinda where the match isn't super jank and we can easily out-space Shulk when he doesn't have one of the insane mobility buffs. Smash Monado displays smash 4 at its finest where a smash attack from either character will result in a kill at 70. Be wary of the down throw however.

Unfortunately my last Shulk set wasn't recorded or else I'd have some really great video evidence :(

Eh who the heck would ever say Shulk is an Olimar counter lol. THe SHulk MU is pretty easy. I feel he is pretty hard to fight in Jump mode, but in everything else he really doesn't have the tools to get through Olimar's wall.

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman

Thank you this helped

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Ryu looks like he might be a bad match up for Olimar
From what I saw, Ryu looks like one of his main cons is having very limited approach options. His side-B is pretty slow and can probably be shield grabbed. His only (?) projectile seems like it doesn't provide any approach that, for example, a loid rocket would. But yeah way too early to jump to any analysis as Blue Banana was saying lol

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I think it's worth making a list of which immunities and properties pikmin have for the new characters. I'm assuming something like this:

Lucas's up-B PK thunder - yellow pikmin
Lucas's side-B PK fire - red pikmin

Ryu's Hadouken neutral B - ???
Ryu's Hadouken true inputs - red pikmin???
Ryu's Hurricane Kick side B - Worth Noting: f-smash clashes with first hit, but the hurricane kick keeps coming.

Roy's up-smash, neutral B, up B, and others??? - red pikmin???

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey guys, so I've started to record my games vs various Sheiks to post online to help you guys get a better understanding of the MU. Currently I have posted my games against NEO, and will be adding more as I play other Sheiks. Hope you guys check it out, and feel free to ask me any questions. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcoDdMZv2-V5RyoCtihR7LhqsdPT_iKDM

Top Bottom