• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar

MrKitty

Smash Rookie
I think that they didn't need to nerf Olimar so much. The new recovery is awesome, but the less Pikmin you have, the less you travel, so you can't really play with less pikmin, unless you're Nolimar (Solimar), and so, you can either choose offense or defense, but defense still can't really defend, it can just recover...

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Have they shown off his Down Special yet? Or are we still in the dark on that aspect?

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Olimar got such a large buff it's amazing. While it sucks to only have three pikmin out, I feel like it's going to be worth it to be able to manage your pikmin. My main drawback with Olimar in Brawl was that the pikmin coming out were random and I'd have to pay attention to what I had as well as the opponent. With the set rotation, any decent Olimar will manage what he has and be able to tack on damage or go for the kill move whenever he wants to. While you might have to pay more attention to how many pikmin you have, as long as you pluck a pikmin every two moves, you're all set. His Up B is a huge buff as well and will make Olimar's survivability that much better.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Have they shown off his Down Special yet? Or are we still in the dark on that aspect?
Strangely enough, no we haven't. Although what I suspect is that it will either stay as it is too iconic or change to Rock Pikmin (which are mysteriously absent) as 3 Pikmin and his new Winged Pikmin kinda render the whistle a little useless

Jackson

Smash Lord
To me, it seems that most characters were buffed in some way, like Zelda's Phantom (awesome) or DeDeDe only throwing Gordos. Olimar seems to be the only guy to have been really nerfed. I feel he deserved the nerf, but it still seems unusual.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i hope they give him a few buffs like flowered pikmin are stronger than leaf or bud, he will not be completely dependent on pikmin: like when he has no pikmin, his f smash, dsmash, up smash,.... basically all pikmin moves are just weaker and shorter ranged.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
i hope they give him a few buffs like flowered pikmin are stronger than leaf or bud, he will not be completely dependent on pikmin: like when he has no pikmin, his f smash, dsmash, up smash,.... basically all pikmin moves are just weaker and shorter ranged.
Olimar was a defensive fortress that was pretty difficult to attack. His grabs and smashes made him hard to approach and his thrown Pikmin were a nightmare for some characters that like to use projectiles. I absolutely can't play Toon Link against a good Olimar. That said I do hope he gets a bit more going for him to make up for the nerf. Perhaps it being much easier to obtain three purple pikmin is all he needs? Time will tell.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
YES! Carrying items to Olimar will be MOST interesting when using Olimar VS Diddy. The Banana-Clean-Up crew is reporting in!

Last edited:

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
Ya but with bananas disappearing on hit then that makes it less of a counter now that bananas can hit pikmin and disappear too

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
Eh I just feel like olimar now is not too true to his character from his game having a large entourage of pikmin with him and having to do risky moves where he is dependent on defensive play
That's why in a way I was happy with brawl olimar
Just thought winged pikmin was the nice touch to make him closer to his game

KERO

Smash Journeyman
This may be grasping at straws, but anyone else wonder what Oli's variations for his neutral special might be?

I mean, they could do something boring and give a variation where he only plucks reds, blues, and yellows and one where he plucks only purples and whites. Maybe there could be one where the pluck order is random? Perhaps one involving the Rock Pikmin? Or maybe there might be one that allows him to pluck six like in Brawl. After all, having only three isn't an integral part of Smash 4 Oli from what we've seen outside of his recovery. BUT, his recovery can have its own variations, and if this (at 18:41) shows us anything, it's that these variations don't even necessarily have to stick with a certain animation or even appear similar at all (Kirby using a hammer instead of Stone for his down-B).

Then again, Sakurai could just troll us even more and not give Oli's neutral special any variations. I'm still on the Greninja bus atm, but if there's any way at all Oli can get his traditional six Pikmin back, I'd definitely be looking back into him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom