• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Wish List: Ideas for the good captain for future patches

B.W.

Smash Champion
You have to hit with B-Air to have knockback that will kill. But even then it's not spectacular.

Your best methods of killing outright are probably Close Purple F-Throw, Purple U-Smash, Purple B-Air and Blue B-Throw. Blue F-Throw is better though if you're right at the ledge, but B-Throw is stronger.

Olimar's kills come more from going off stage and F-Airing your opponent to gimp them. You can even get some pretty early kills that way, despite all his nerfs he's one of the best gimpers in the game so long as his Up-B doesn't fall apart after you go deep and then try to recover.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I'm way too scared of his Up-B to go deep lol. I'll do it in friendlies, but in tourney.....just can't risk it. I see 4 pikmin behind me but then I Up-B and there's only 1 for the tether and I'm like "WTF" lol.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Exactly. But that's supposed to be one of the reasons he's great at gimping you. But going for something like that is a risk even though it's not meant to be one because you're supposed to have the advantage. If he could go deep without fear of dying to something he shouldn't then his ability to kill would be much better.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
How crazy would it be to remove the endlag on whistle and pluck so Olimar could actually act immediately out of whistle and aerial pluck? Neither do damage or have super armor, I see no reason for him to be unable to act out of those moves, especially when one is literally required to do a bunch of times offstage in order to actually have a recovery.

also can he have a grab-box on his body on the 11th frame of (dash-) grab as well as on the Pikmin so I can actually grab people when I'm right on top of them like every other ****ing character in the game can already do including tether grabbers please thanks

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Give grab armor on Olimar pls.
This too, even though it's been suggested multiple times lol

Point is though, there's no reason (aside from maybe coding issues) for Olimar not to have things that every other character in the game has, e.g. grab armor.

The first part I mentioned was just because I think not being able to immediately act out of aerial pluck or whistle is really stupid. It's quick, but it's not immediate.

Last edited:

Captive

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this has been said before but can we get armor back on his down be and make it able to be jump cancelled and keep the armor for a few frames. It would feel like Yoshi's DJC.

B.W.

Smash Champion
It's been said before. It's generally agreed yo be a bad idea. Armor whistle has no place in PM.

steelguttey

mei is bei
speaking of whistle

have you guys used sonic with debug in pm yet cus when he neutral b's a huge hitbox comes out and thats how he locks on to people

what if whistle had something like that where he would whistle and all pikmin in a radius around oli immediately sync to him, even if theyre in the air. this would solve the up b falling apart thing and it would punish him for mindlessly throwing pikmin cus if they get swatted then he cant just call em back

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
The main issue is that Pikmin have two jumps to stay close to Olimar with, and oftentimes they just lose it and fall offstage when you use your second jump, even after whistling a bunch even when you are in literal arms reach of your Pikmin.

Whistle ought to just give Pikmin their air jump back too, alongside working like a magnet to pull Pikmin toward you.

Whistle would pretty much need to be unchanged too if his up-b itself was ****ing fixed. Tethers are dumb, give him something else.

#FreeRocketUpB

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
So I was playing some friendlies today vs. an Icy's, and he Up-B and killed my Wolf at 160%. I honestly didn't know that the Icy's Up-B killed like that.

That moment when Ice Climber's has a kill Up-B and Olimar doesn't???

Also, refresh my memory, did the invisible Pikmin glitch actually remove the hitboxes in 3.0? Cause I literally lost a match today because I got an invisible Pikmin and kept swinging him, but there was no actual hitbox.

I also encountered a glitch where I was hanging on the ledge, but then the Pikmin disappeared, Olimar let go of the edge, froze in mid-air for about 3 seconds, and fell to the bottom blast-zone with this weird animation. I **** you not, I have witnesses lol.

Beets

Smash Apprentice
Okay I am going to give my honest opinion on Olimar, guys. Brawl Olimar was awesome. Brawl Olimar threw his Pikmin indiscriminantly toward the enemy, only really focusing on preserving purples and a blue for kills. Brawl Olimar felt like a character from an RTS game (woah think about that for a minute there...)

So here is what I want from PM Olimar:
  • six Pikmin
  • keep colore antennae, that is unbelievably brilliant
  • quick, lagless whistle
  • quiker pluck with less lag
  • no armor on whistle
  • reds for damage
  • yellow for range
  • blue for health and throws
  • purple for knockback
  • white for latch / pummel damage
  • do NOT let whites explode (for a game that aims to make character more faithful to their series this is most baffling to me)
  • keep rng on pluck
  • revert to brawl uptilt, decrease knockback for combo potential
  • change nair to SSB Ness's sex kick
  • fix ness's dair animation
  • seriously why is it so lame looking
  • make jab quick, lagless, and pikmin 2 / smash 4-esque
  • make ftilt a kill move
  • make dtilt work exactly like brawl, allowjngfor reliable damage and combo potential
  • shorten all range on grabs
  • either give him grab armor or remove everyone else's
  • increase range on p throw and all smashs
  • decrease health of pikmin across the board
  • increase abilities when budding and blooming, but decrease scaling of such buffs
  • when you hold side b, olimar holds pikmin in front of him, and doesn't throw until released, to allow fake outs
  • allow pikmin throw to be angled, in exchange for clingtime / knockback for rybw / purple pikmin, respectively
  • allow pikmin to intercept and carry items to olimar (diddy's bananas, peach's turnips)
  • aerial pickmin pluck should work as it does in v3.0
  • pikmin chain should be removed fixed
  • new third jump involves all of the pikmin that are currently in olimar line bunching up, struggling for a sec, and ultimately tossing olimar in a vertical direction with a trajectory of your choice
  • the more pikmin in your line, the farther your pikmin toss you
  • does extreme knockback where pikmin bunch up and toss you, does not have a hitbox after oli is thrown away
  • puts oli into freelfall
  • knockback depends on pikmin types (if all whites, minimum knockback, if all purps max)
  • pikmin that toss you die / fall to their death
  • starts the match with 3 pikmin
  • respawns with none (that's right, you actually have to think about whether to use your invincibilty on p pluck or dtilt now!)
  • decrease wavedash distance
  • add cute pikmin sound effects

This should then be a good character. For some reason people think that some characters should be trash but I don't think that and so this is my ideal character.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
A lot of that is too much tbh. One of these days I'll give you guys my ideal changes in list form.

also what the **** don't you dare touch my grab range

Beets

Smash Apprentice
A lot of that is too much tbh. One of these days I'll give you guys my ideal changes in list form.

I appreciate the constructive criticism.

Characters with kill throws / DPS / range in general do not get to have an easy time getting grabs.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
All I REALLY want are bug fixes, grab armor and a better budding/flower system then the one now. And Ivy esque Up-B. Elemental immunities coming back and a way to prevent Fox lasers stopping thrown Pikmin would be nice too.

Beets

Smash Apprentice
All I REALLY want are bug fixes, grab armor and a better budding/flower system then the one now. And Ivy esque Up-B. Elemental immunities coming back and a way to prevent Fox lasers stopping thrown Pikmin would be nice too.
Elemental immunities yes.

Okay, new idea, instead of changing Pikmin Chain you just remove the inability to act after it and you can just keep doing your chain over and over until you recover.

Well? Yeah? I think this is pretty ingenious! :chuckle:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I appreciate the constructive criticism.

Characters with kill throws / DPS / range in general do not get to have an easy time getting grabs.
Sorry, I usually post on a Wii U because my computer is out of commission, and if you've ever used the Wii U internet you'll know how much of a pain it is to type up paragraphs. Let me go over every individual bullet and comment on each one because I actually think they're all worth talking about.

• six pikmin
Pretty sure the reason Pikmin count was reduced was to avoid excessive use of Pikmin throw which, in the PM environment, I agree with. The move has the potential to rack up stupid amounts of damage really quickly just with four. Bringing back 6 Pikmin would help with the tether, but IMO it would absolutely break PT.

• keep color antennae, that is unbelievably brilliant
Yep.

• Quick, lagless whistle
I would love this, but I don't think it's necessesary. It's pretty quick as it is. ...but yeah, I'd love this.

• quicker pluck with less lag
I've had problems with the fact that Pikmin Pluck isn't mashable anymore since day 1 of Olimar being playable in PM, so I agree with this.

• no armor or whistle
Armor on whistle isn't happening ever and people need to stop suggesting it lol

• reds for damage, yellow for range, blue for health and throws, purple for knockback, white for latch/pummel damage
The way they currently are is fine. Whites build up damage, Purples are crazy kb kill-moves, blues are already glorious throwers, yellows are speedy, and reds are consistent killers AND combo starters. Range on yellows would be nice, but the speed boost they got is good enough for me.

• do NOT let whites explode (for a game that aims to make character more faithful to their series this is most baffling to me)
Making whites do a little bit of stun when killed would be nice instead of causing them to explode when attached, but I don't mind exploding whites. I DO mind the fact that they explode earlier (same with all Pikmin letting go after attaching with Pikmin Throw) when attached to someone with high damage.

• keep rng on pluck
Steelguttey's got the right idea with making some kind of reward system, but I'd rather just have a system of five Pikmin with the impossibility of getting two of the same kind. I'm not fully backing this idea though, it's just a thought. RNG is awful, but I don't think set order is the way to go about it.

• revert to brawl uptilt, decrease knockback for combo potential
Brawl up-tilt was incredible, but I think current up-tilt is fine. It's one of his many kill-confirms, is quick, and doesn't have stupid lasting hitboxes to complain about. Nah.

• change nair to SSB Ness's sex kick
I'd actually thought about this, but it would have to have the same kb as the last hit of his current nair because his current nair is a combo setup. Plus, it beats crouch-canceling because multiple hits. Seriously, that move is one of his best aerials, I'd rather not nerf it.

• fix ness's dair animation, seriously why is it so lame looking
(assuming that was a typo and you meant Olimar) I'd like it touched up too, but not necessary.

• make jab quick, lagless, and pikmin 2 / smash 4-esque
His jab is already really good. I'd rather they just get rid of the weird no-kb small-damage hitboxes on the antennae or whatever that stuff even is. It is frame 4 though, so speeding it up couldn't hurt.

• make ftilt a kill move
It already gives you positional advantage when you land with it, and he's already got a ton of kill moves.

• make dtilt work exactly like brawl, allowjngfor reliable damage and combo potential
it already pops people up for a free fair or uair what are you talking about

• shorten all range on grabs
You'd seriously take away his best tool just like that? Range doesn't need to be reduced, range isn't the problem. First off, the reason his grab is as good as it is is because the grabboxes last for so long. If you wanted to make the move "less jank," you'd make the Pikmin run really fast and reach the max distance in like five frames or something (like in Sm4sh). Second, to touch upon what you said earlier,

• Characters with kill throws / DPS / range in general do not get to have an easy time getting grabs.

Fox, Marth, Mario, and Falcon to name a few all have methods of easily landing grab, and they all have kill-confirms or gain incredible positional advantage out of throws. Their range is compensated by the fact that the cooldown on missing a grab (if you jump-cancel it, which you should always do) isn't much. Link, Tink, Samus, Lucas, Yoshi, and Ivysaur all have significant cooldown on a missed grab. However, all of them have either kill throws or "guaranteed setups" on landing specific grabs. Olimar isn't excluded from this, and he wasn't excluded from this in 3.0. Plus, his kill throws only happen when you land a blue grab (which is a Pikmin primarily designed for grabs and throws already) or a purple grab (which had the everloving **** nerfed out of its range). His grab is really good, but it's not unbeatable or unpunishable on whiff. It certainly doesn't have as much cooldown as Link or Samus's missed grab, but that's because the grabbox on the grabbing Pikmin lasts so long, which I wouldn't be opposed to adjusting.

• either give him grab armor or remove everyone else's
First one.

• increase range on p throw and all smashs
First one, maybe. Pikmin throw is tricky because of how much damage it can rack up combined with the fact that using it at all potentially sacrifices a quarter of your up-b, and increasing the range on it would make the possibility of straight up throwing one offstage even greater, as well as increasing the possibility of landing the move and racking up stupid amounts of damage, something that the PMDT is trying to avoid with the character in the first place, so I really don't know what to say about that one. Smashes however, no. Their range is fine (except purples, but I get the nerf). Up-smash is still great, down-smash is still great, and f-smash was fixed with the addition of the continuous hitbox.

• decrease health of pikmin across the board
This already happened, and it again ties in with side-b and up-b. I wouldn't mind this if up-b was changed, but if it stays the way it is then this is not a good idea.

• increase abilities when budding and blooming, but decrease scaling of such buffs
This is a really tricky one.

I'd rather just have consistent damage output and knockback for all stages. It's less significant in this build, but losing a stock and subsequently your Pikmin removes any momentum you could've possibly had from building up your flower Pikmin and keeping them alive, and I don't think that crazy momentum is really fair to anyone. I love the idea of increased Pikmin health based on increased stage, but again that could encourage mindless Pikmin Throw, so I'm really not sure. It's never going to happen, but my ideal Olimar wouldn't get any buffs from Pikmin flowering. Strength would be even across the stages (except for whites because flower effect and using them specifically for racking up damage), maybe sound and visual effects could change when flowered, but being borderline broken with four flowered Pikmin and borderline worst-character-in-game with for leaf Pikmin doesn't sound like good design to me (even though this is absolutely exaggeration).

• when you hold side b, olimar holds pikmin in front of him, and doesn't throw until released, to allow fake outs
you could always just fake out the other person by doing nothing and then throwing instead of being fully committed to a throw due to charge time

• allow pikmin throw to be angled, in exchange for clingtime / knockback for rybw / purple pikmin, respectively
He doesn't need this.

• allow pikmin to intercept and carry items to olimar (diddy's bananas, peach's turnips)
Braindead Pikmin Throw encouraged. Plus, wavelanding into bananas isn't hard.

• aerial pickmin pluck should work as it does in v3.0
There's no difference between versions.

• pikmin chain should be removed
NOW WE'RE TALKING. This move is the source of like 95% of Olimar's problems (the remaining 5% being in his grab). Within the context of Pikmin throw, tethers altogether, and the entirety of the PM environment, this garbage move doesn't belong in this game and I believe this with every fiber of my being. It's design is garbage (the hitbox on it in 3.0 was dumb, glad it got removed) and he needs something else.

• new third jump involves all of the pikmin that are currently in olimar line bunching up, struggling for a sec, and ultimately tossing olimar in a vertical direction with a trajectory of your choice. the more pikmin in your line, the farther your Pikmin toss you. does extreme knockback where pikmin bunch up and toss you, does not have a hitbox after oli is thrown away. puts oli into freelfall. knockback depends on pikmin types (if all whites, minimum knockback, if all purps max). pikmin that toss you die / fall to their death
...Something that isn't reliant on his Pikmin.

Were his up-b completely separated and unaffected by Pikmin type, count, whatever, then Pikmin Throw could be reworked and the design of Pikmin health and damage and stage growth could be well-designed. Until then, those moves together will always make a potentially broken/jank/buzzword character. However, this idea is way better than what we have now (no offense, but it's not hard to be better than what we have now).

I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again. He's a spaceman. Give him rocket boots or something. Tethers are dumb, relying on Pikmin for your recovery coupled with a potentially overpowered camping tool is dumb, separate the two. And no, do not ****ing give him his Sm4sh up-b I swear to god

Also this just sounds like a janky G&W up-b.

• stats the match with 3 pikmin
Fine as it is, doesn't need to change.

• respawns with none (that's right, you actually have to think about whether to use your invincibility on p pluck or dtilt now!)
I will ****ing fight you in real life over how bad of an idea this is. There is literally never a situation where on invincibility from respawn you would choose to use ANY MOVE that solo Olimar has because they don't follow up into anything or guarantee a kill. You could argue for positional advantage, but by being invincible you by default have the advantage for a few seconds and you would have to waste it plucking Pikmin. Getting ANY number of Pikmin on respawn was one of the biggest buffs Olimar could've gotten in 3.5, and it's not even making him significantly better than anyone, it's bringing him up to the exact same level as every character in the game (which would be the point of giving him grab armor in the first place). Absolutely not.

• decrease wavedash distance
why

• add cute pikmin sound effects
...Aight.

tl;dr:

Last edited:

Beets

Smash Apprentice
@ robosteven robosteven yeah i meant for his new up b to be game and watch. but maybe they ahpuld just fix the chain. alot of people seem dicided on this one.

i just want to play brawl olimar with melee physics

steelguttey

mei is bei
brawl oli with melee physics would never work

brawlimar is about camping and that doesnt work in a fast game unless you got dumb projectiles like samus

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
steel please PMlimar has dumb projectiles

it's just that he only has four of them, they're directly connected to his recovery, they're weaker than Brawlimar's, and they're not actually projectiles

god Olimar's side-b is so stupid I hate it so much

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I think it might be better if pikmin differences should be less statistical, more incidental. Less like Shulk's Arts, more like Samus's Fire/Ice. Less like Young/Old Link, more like Fox/Falco.
Giving pikmin predetermined "roles" codifies play and makes having the right one at a specific time all the more important, whereas if they were more varied in capabilities one could always get the desired result via ingenuity regardless of what's available.
Red/yellow/blue in particular would be thematically better suited as "generalists with different builds," with purple and white being a bit more specialized (say, in knockback and damage, respectively).
I'd give a more concrete idea of what I'm talking about, but I'm concerned my lack of intuition regarding hitbox data would be too distracting.

I always thought it'd be cool if Olimar had a berry-spray-based move. If he needs a new Up-B, that could be realized in the form of jet propulsion. Could probably be formed into something simple yet unique.
Actually, I just realized this could (theoretically) work with the previous paragraph, the spray acting on the ground like a candypop bud to change a pikmin purple or white. The parameters and necessity of its usage are open to interpretation, as well as if doing so would be a tradeoff in recovery (a la Misfire or Waft; depends if Oli should get more things to remember, I guess).
If he did get a new Up-B, should he have a Zair?

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm gunna agree with steel

even if you gave olimar back every single thing that made him a dumb campy character in brawl and then buffed it excessively Olimar would probably peak at lower middle tier

Olimar's Brawl design doesn't work in this game, and he is pretty inherently inferior to every single other character with large range or disjoint due to the way Pikmin are designed. If you went in a direction that more focused on Brawlimar, you would always find him objectively worse than characters like the Links in literally every aspect if you tried to emulate Brawl's playstyle.

That being said, it doesn't mean you CAN'T bring those concepts back, seeing as you can retool them in a way that fits a more aggressive playstyle that could prevent Olimar from being eclipsed by other characters entirely.

Fixing this character really isn't a task we can accomplish without PSAs and testing since the changes Oli would need would have to be very large, to the point where theory for this character is pretty useless. We might just be sitting here hoping that the PMBR can turn his design around and create something incredible.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I honestly thought the 3.02 design was almost perfect.

All he needed was a damage nerf and an Up-Smash nerf. I can agree with the health nerf as well, if it means we get the lingering F-Smash hitboxes. I thought he was one of the simplest characters in the game that needed the least amount of tweaking, so I was shocked when I saw that changelog.

"WTF, Olimar was so simple!" were my thoughts.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
can we talk about how using Bowser's nair doesn't get Pikmin off of you

like what the ****

why

why don't full-body hitboxes make latched Pikmin get off of you

steelguttey

mei is bei
yea there needs to be a change that puts the stuck pikmin on one single spot other than some random spot

B.W.

Smash Champion
Pikmin aren't really random when you throw them on an opponent. At least the first one isn't. I know this because I used to always aim for Charizards head in 3.02 because it makes it so he can't just N-Air Pikmin off.

I'm also fairly certain that Pikmin attach themselves to limbs whenever possible, so they avoid shells. If you attach a Pikmin to Squirtle or Bowser and they use a move where they go inside their shell it seems that the Pikmin go in the shell with them, which I guess takes away their hurtbox.

It's not something I've really tested, but I noticed this with Bowser N-Air in 3.02 as well as Squirtle's N-Air and Side-B in 3.02. Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure Bowser's Up-B knocks them off.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
That just seems a little nitpicky to me. I just figure that if a latched Pikmin gets hit by a hitbox then he should get off, it's dumb that full-body moves don't get rid of them.

...but Marth's fair gets rid of them no matter where they're stuck.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Because Marth has a sword. Swarms are highly vulnerable to weapon damage. That's why beekeepers carry spears.

There's obviously bigger fish to fry for Olimar, but does anyone else think whites should get a "poison" graphic effect, rather than using the nondescript purple stuff? Like, green bubbles coming out of a character. Could also be used on stuff like Waft, Toad, Stitchface, G&W's jab, Oil Panic, Ivysaur, maybe a Zelda-spell like jab, or like Ganon's pummel…
It could replace the horrible very bad ugly slime effect Luigi has now.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I think the purple stuff does fine. It'd be neat if it was purple bubbles like how most games show poison, but I don't hate what it is now.

B.W.

Smash Champion
So one thing I'd really like to see is slightly more diversity in the Pikmin. Blue, Yellow and White are all kind of different enough from the rest, so really they're okay, but Red and Purple are basically the same Pikmin with Purple being the overall better out of the two. They're both high damage/high knockback Pikmin, with the only real difference being that Purple doesn't go as far when you use U-Air, U-Smash or F-Smash, but that's usually okay for Purple because your line up should have Blue in it anyway and Blue's stats are also very similar to Red's.

I'd love if Red had something like set knockback in his moves to maybe assist with Olimar's combos, especially since Red is supposed to be the Pikmin that's best in combat (according to the Pikmin games).

Or just something to make him stand out a little more.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Maybe they could remove hitlag when attacking with reds.

Last edited:

Beets

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a huge fan of Olimar's new fsmash animation. Was it like that in 3.0?

The majority of my time playing PM was spent before Demo 2.5 so I am lost.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I'm not a huge fan of Olimar's new fsmash animation. Was it like that in 3.0?

The majority of my time playing PM was spent before Demo 2.5 so I am lost.
Yeah, he's always chucked Pikmin forward with all of his might in PM.

Top Bottom