• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Thread!(?)

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Man... Very good videos. Same problem as I with the same characters.
I thought that you were skilled, because of the knowledge you had proven, but you have a tremendous future ahead.

Before commenting the videos, I would say that best of 3 with 2 stocks seems very bad to me. It is something you arrange for or what?
I would do best of 5 or at least more stocks.

The feeling that I have after seeing all videos is that to play as an Olimar, you need to be more and even more focused and skilled than other easy characters and players =(.
This left me the feeling that I need to practice even more.

And in the other hand we need to improve our lacks of pummel, even when I know that you can do 1-3 at most, we need to start doing that for putting extra damage. It may be nothing compared to others pummels or other moves, but every penny counts.
I never do it and I always wonder what would have happened if that extra damage would have be done.
We are talking about 8% to 12% at least with just 1 pummel in each 4 grabs at the match, maybe even more if the enemy has a Pikmin stick while doing the grab.
We do a lot of grabs and we don't take advantage of it, it's not helping us. Maybe I'm "talking" too much, but it's what it happen to me and how I feel about it.

Good videos anyway and thanks for them :D, I learned a lot :3.

Edits: sorry about them, I'm not a native english speaker so I make a lot of mistakes XD.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Man... Very good videos. Same problem as I with the same characters.
I thought that you were skilled, because of the knowledge you had proven, but you have a tremendous future ahead.
Not sure if a compliment or telling me I need to get better... I play with the two people I lost to quite a bit so it wasn't anything unfamiliar. The Olimar ditto was something I personally don't like, but Dabuz is a bit more comfortable with it. As for Anti he knew his Captain Falcon would be great for fighting me. He uses that against me all the time when we play. So I'm not totally sure what you meant.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Not sure if a compliment or telling me I need to get better... I play with the two people I lost to quite a bit so it wasn't anything unfamiliar. The Olimar ditto was something I personally don't like, but Dabuz is a bit more comfortable with it. As for Anti he knew his Captain Falcon would be great for fighting me. He uses that against me all the time when we play. So I'm not totally sure what you meant.
I am deeply sorry for my text, but it was meant to be a compliment. Maybe, because english isn't my mother language, I couldn't translate it into a compliment.
I do really think that you play amazing, far away better than me. I'm just learning how to play, actually kind of admire you, because the only thing I do is roll (You will notice when I upload my awful videos). So please, understand my mistake by using the wrong words.
I'm sorry for not writing it properly, but I was really happy to see your videos, because I can learn more from someone who plays stunning.
I really hope your advices when I upload my videos. I'm really sorry dude, didn't meant to sound like that.

By the way, I used my cell phone and the quality of the videos it's terrible. So I'm not going to upload those because can barely see the characters moving.
As soon as I go out from a reunion at work and can go home early, I will do it again in a better quality, hoping that can be watched properly, and upload it as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
It's fine, I wasn't mad or anything. Just wondered what you meant. I'm glad you enjoy the videos though!

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
1st Edit: Added Duck Hunt and Yoshi match.

It's done, it's not the best video / audio quality but here they are. Yesterday I played and recorded more games so I hope to be updating soon.

I know the guys performing in some of the videos aren't very skillful, but I'm not very good so it helps me to keep improving.
I want to upload a fight against each character, never mind if I won or not, it would be helpful to see your comments. Just try not to be so rude about it XD.
All the videos are For Glory matches.

vs King Dedede
I think that because of the lack of skills of Dedede I get the win. I did a lot of mistakes but as I could see, he did even more.

vs Mario
First of all, I'm SO SORRY about the background noise :( ...
This one was a terrible match for me because I'm always rolling and failing smashes, not pummeling, wrong timing, etc. If Mario didn't commit suicide, it would have been different and probably would had defeated me with no doubt.

vs Duck Hunt (I win)
A lot of useless rolls, lack of pummel, good luck ... etc.
vs Duck Hunt (I lose)

vs Yoshi
This match was very interesting, because after 2 times he won, he wrote that I suck. After that, I won the next 2 match and he left. Sadly I didn't save the victories T_T ...

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Hey guys.. I have more videos but I need some advices from you...
I can upload something like 20 videos with different characters, but I don't want to keep doing the sames mistakes.

So please comment the videos. I have a lot of defeats anyway, so don't think I will only upload victories.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Alright @ koken koken I finally had some time to watch your videos. Now I'm not gonna write a lengthy post, but instead break it down into bullet points really pointing out what needs to be improved upon. Now I'm not sure if you've seen my guide, but it could help you understand how some moves follow up as well as some useful techniques for the character.
  • Throw more Pikmin, there are loads of times where you are just standing idly by when you could be forcing the opponent into a bad spot
  • Abuse your jab, it is an incredible tool when close to the opponent. It also leads into grab
  • Work on Pikmin management. I saw quite a few times where you were hitting with a white. This is a key component in taking Olimar to the next level.
  • Learn to abuse pivoting more. This is a much safer way to retreat/catch the opponent when they push forward or land.
  • STOP ROLLING SO MUCH. This is not your only movement option, you have other ways to avoid damage without rolling.
Aside from the things I listed I'd say just keep practicing. You seem new to the game, so keep playing and applying the tips people give you in the forum. Your Olimar will naturally get better over time as long as you want it to.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Alright @ koken koken I finally had some time to watch your videos. Now I'm not gonna write a lengthy post, but instead break it down into bullet points really pointing out what needs to be improved upon. Now I'm not sure if you've seen my guide, but it could help you understand how some moves follow up as well as some useful techniques for the character.
  • Throw more Pikmin, there are loads of times where you are just standing idly by when you could be forcing the opponent into a bad spot
  • Abuse your jab, it is an incredible tool when close to the opponent. It also leads into grab
  • Work on Pikmin management. I saw quite a few times where you were hitting with a white. This is a key component in taking Olimar to the next level.
  • Learn to abuse pivoting more. This is a much safer way to retreat/catch the opponent when they push forward or land.
  • STOP ROLLING SO MUCH. This is not your only movement option, you have other ways to avoid damage without rolling.
Aside from the things I listed I'd say just keep practicing. You seem new to the game, so keep playing and applying the tips people give you in the forum. Your Olimar will naturally get better over time as long as you want it to.
Thank you very much for your comments, I will take these and try to apply it on my game play.
I will read again your guide and try to learn (and keep in my mind) the most important stuffs.
I think I'm constantly afraid because when I'm at high % I think I will lose. Yesterday I was a humiliated by a Pit who reflected me twice just at the right time doing my F/U Smash and I lost very very pitiful.

Do you think it is a good idea to upload more videos?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Thank you very much for your comments, I will take these and try to apply it on my game play.
I will read again your guide and try to learn (and keep in my mind) the most important stuffs.
I think I'm constantly afraid because when I'm at high % I think I will lose. Yesterday I was a humiliated by a Pit who reflected me twice just at the right time doing my F/U Smash and I lost very very pitiful.

Do you think it is a good idea to upload more videos?
Well if you upload more videos right now it won't really have the things I've said you need to improve upon. Try working with the new things and see if you start to do better. It will take some time, but you should start seeing improvement. So I'd wait a bit before posting any new videos.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Well if you upload more videos right now it won't really have the things I've said you need to improve upon. Try working with the new things and see if you start to do better. It will take some time, but you should start seeing improvement. So I'd wait a bit before posting any new videos.
Ok then, I will keep practicing and then I will upload some of my performance.

Here's is a video that I found awesome too.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
What we need is a video explaining the Dthrow and Dtilt combos that Oli can use. If you can, please do!

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Here are some of my Olimar videos.

This is against Ludwig, it's not a great match by any means, I just saved it because it's hilarious watching Ludwig attacking air while I'm standing there watching my Pikmin eat him alive and drive up his %.

Uploaded because I started off by inflicting 90% damage until I got hit...

Uploaded just because I hate the Diddy bandwagon, and I think Olimar is actually the anti-Diddy.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Man, well played. I have to say THANK YOU :D.
Against ludwig was so funny, as you said in the text just attacking the air XD jajaja.
Against Captain Falcon it wasn't a really good fight, not by you, I mean for him. I guess you were bored at some point of the match. Besides you aimed and your timing was great.
I LOVED seeing Diddy getting punished, you played very well.

But now you may ask why I said thank you. That's because you helped me to prove 2 of my data about Fsmash and % of Diddy getting killed :D. Thank you so much :D.
If you can upload more, it would be great =D.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Man, well played. I have to say THANK YOU :D.
Against ludwig was so funny, as you said in the text just attacking the air XD jajaja.
Against Captain Falcon it wasn't a really good fight, not by you, I mean for him. I guess you were bored at some point of the match. Besides you aimed and your timing was great.
I LOVED seeing Diddy getting punished, you played very well.

But now you may ask why I said thank you. That's because you helped me to prove 2 of my data about Fsmash and % of Diddy getting killed :D. Thank you so much :D.
If you can upload more, it would be great =D.
Haha! I'm off today... and it's raining so I won't be teaching tennis. So you know what that means... Smash for the next 10 hours lol. I will upload more. I usually forget to save the replays on really good matches because my adrenaline rushes so much and I'm so hyped and I accidentally click out of the stats screen instead of saving the replay.

As for the Captain Falcon, he actually wasn't that bad. I played with Wario and Duck Hunt whom I've used longer than Oli and he played me really tough. Then I played Olimar and it's like he had no idea what to do because I don't think he realized Olimar's range was so great and his Pikmin have priority or cancel out a lot of attacks.
A lot of people who don't respect Olimar or think he's bottom of the barrel are surprised when I dismantle their defenses.

Also when I put 90% on him so quickly he realized he was going to have to get quick damage to even the score and I think he just started going for broke by trying to land random smash attacks but forgot my grab range. He actually played much smarter when I used Wario and DHD... but against Olimar he did not know what to expect.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Haha! I'm off today... and it's raining so I won't be teaching tennis. So you know what that means... Smash for the next 10 hours lol. I will upload more. I usually forget to save the replays on really good matches because my adrenaline rushes so much and I'm so hyped and I accidentally click out of the stats screen instead of saving the replay.

As for the Captain Falcon, he actually wasn't that bad. I played with Wario and Duck Hunt whom I've used longer than Oli and he played me really tough. Then I played Olimar and it's like he had no idea what to do because I don't think he realized Olimar's range was so great and his Pikmin have priority or cancel out a lot of attacks.
A lot of people who don't respect Olimar or think he's bottom of the barrel are surprised when I dismantle their defenses.
I envy you ... Here is 13:17 and I wouldn't be able to play till 23:00 (I hope so xD).
I have the same issue about adrenaline and saving the replay jajaja. When that happens I say to myself "moron", sometimes my wife say to me "calm down sweetie" lol.

As for Captain Falcon it has a lot of sense. He was lost against Olimar, maybe not a single clue. I have felt that and it's awful, bad for him. But Olimar isn't your Main?

Wait for your videos then, you helped me a lot to collect data for Captain Falcon (which I have just a few) and Diddy :D.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Thank you, you helped me to confirm my data about Uthrow Blue Pikmin Kill.
Nice fight though, for a moment I thought the last reflect was going to finish the match, good timing too.

Some more videos.
Good fights and thank you too for letting me collect data about Smash Kills ^^. I didn't have any data from Pacman so thanks a lot.
You played very well but, sometimes I believe you doubted in some moves. Is that right or just my point of view, maybe nervous?

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
This are some of the reasons why I keep asking for videos, they HELP a lot to realize and learn some things we don't pay attention.
  1. Jigglypuff died with a [Blue] Uthrow at 123% (8% more than I said). Did you have this on your mind or it was just the rush of the moment @ Myran Myran ? Somebody use the table with % of killing with a [Blue] Uthrow? At least I use it very often...
  2. Your play style is great, I really have learned a lot seeing videos in this thread. They way you move from passive/defensive to aggresive/pressuring is something I want to do myself.
  3. When you launch more than 2 Pikmin, you get near to their position in order to regain control over them faster than waiting for them to come. It's a really good maneuver.
  4. [Blue] Dthrow and [Red] Fair does 24% and [Blue] Dthrow and [Purple] Fair does 25%. I don't know if you did that on purpose but it's something I definitely will add to my game and be aware of.
  5. I'm not sure if it's something we do playing with Olimar, or if it's something I'm always worried about and paying too much attention to it, but we tend to roll a lot, or is just me?
Please guys, if you have more videos, post it here :D.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
This are some of the reasons why I keep asking for videos, they HELP a lot to realize and learn some things we don't pay attention.
  1. Jigglypuff died with a [Blue] Uthrow at 123% (8% more than I said). Did you have this on your mind or it was just the rush of the moment @ Myran Myran ? Somebody use the table with % of killing with a [Blue] Uthrow? At least I use it very often...
  2. Your play style is great, I really have learned a lot seeing videos in this thread. They way you move from passive/defensive to aggresive/pressuring is something I want to do myself.
  3. When you launch more than 2 Pikmin, you get near to their position in order to regain control over them faster than waiting for them to come. It's a really good maneuver.
  4. [Blue] Dthrow and [Red] Fair does 24% and [Blue] Dthrow and [Purple] Fair does 25%. I don't know if you did that on purpose but it's something I definitely will add to my game and be aware of.
  5. I'm not sure if it's something we do playing with Olimar, or if it's something I'm always worried about and paying too much attention to it, but we tend to roll a lot, or is just me?
Please guys, if you have more videos, post it here :D.
I went for the Blue Uthrow because I knew it would kill at that percent. I don't know the exact percent with rage and all that, but I knew it would work. As for dthrow fair combos I usually try to set it up for optimal damage with the best Pikmin. I also roll a lot, but that could just be something I do.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I went for the Blue Uthrow because I knew it would kill at that percent. I don't know the exact percent with rage and all that, but I knew it would work. As for dthrow fair combos I usually try to set it up for optimal damage with the best Pikmin. I also roll a lot, but that could just be something I do.
I feel like we play pretty similarly, but that RIch plays very differently.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
The match was rough and tense. Pit pressuring so much and don't letting Olimar plays his ground game. Somewhat it feels like is asphyxiating it.
2 Usmash getting the kill, awesome... a lot of guts and read to achieve that.
The match is high skilled, I feel like the defeat for RB is unfair or something like that, I don't know how to explain this.
Pit dash attacks apparently hurt so much and don't even bother to complain about that moves killing the 3 Pikmins.
Seems like a very tough MU with the fear of reflecting smashes.

Just for the record
  • Pit dying at 150% and 156% with a [Blue] Uthrow (according to my data 147% at least needed).
If there are more videos, please post it on here :D!

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
He didn't snap to the ledge, and was close enough to the Pikmin when I went for the grab.
So you are telling me that you grab him on the air? Is that possible? Is just this situation or it works on the stage too? You can grab people on the air?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
So you are telling me that you grab him on the air? Is that possible? Is just this situation or it works on the stage too? You can grab people on the air?
The Pikmin's grab range extends off the stage slightly. This means if they're close enough, and don't snap to the ledge you can grab them. This can also be done when they get up from the ledge with no invincibility.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
The Pikmin's grab range extends off the stage slightly. This means if they're close enough, and don't snap to the ledge you can grab them. This can also be done when they get up from the ledge with no invincibility.
So it was just luck? I mean this isn't something you can master or train? Just situational?

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Last edited:

YorkTC

Smash Rookie
I have a video of game breaking Olimar tech, could someone help me post it here? I didn't realize it took awhile before you could post videos. The channel name is York Prime, and the video is called Smash4 Game-Breaking Olimar Tech: Persistent Pikmin Power Amplification (P3A). Thanks guys!

Top Bottom