• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Thread!(?)

YorkTC

Smash Rookie
Nevermind, I got enough posts!

Hi everyone. I'm new to these boards, but I wanted to show my recent Olimar tech discovery. This tech competitively breaks the game in the custom doubles format, and allows Olimar to instant kill any character in the game (with damage variables between 64 and 999 percent damage.) This is all achieved through the use of Olimar's custom down B Order Tackle. I've posted two videos below. One is a short demonstration with Fox, and the other is an in-depth analysis of every character that can be used for this tech. Hope you guys enjoy it!

http://youtu.be/IMMxmMVO9gA (Demonstration with Fox)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ck9xVH3JKM (In-Depth Analysis)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Nevermind, I got enough posts!

Hi everyone. I'm new to these boards, but I wanted to show my recent Olimar tech discovery. This tech competitively breaks the game in the custom doubles format, and allows Olimar to instant kill any character in the game (with damage variables between 64 and 999 percent damage.) This is all achieved through the use of Olimar's custom down B Order Tackle. I've posted two videos below. One is a short demonstration with Fox, and the other is an in-depth analysis of every character that can be used for this tech. Hope you guys enjoy it!

http://youtu.be/IMMxmMVO9gA (Demonstration with Fox)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ck9xVH3JKM (In-Depth Analysis)
This is quite the interesting find. Glad you brought it to light, and I definitely see why. This could cause quite the uproar in a doubles tournament.

Last edited:

YorkTC

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I was actually tempted to save it for a major tournament haha, but no one is running custom doubles events right now. This tech is too broken though, I imagine it would have been banned on the spot. I wonder what the response will be from the wider smash community. Would this have been allowed if I had introduced it at a large tournament like Evo?

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Pretty good job. Your opponent was really bad, do you have any videos of you losing to someone?

But one of the most glaring issues I see is your movement. You didn't utilize anything pivot related the whole set and you rolled most of the game. Rolling is really strong, but not to that extent.

Edit: Didn't realize this was online.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
http://www.twitch.tv/newmetastream/b/627425325 59:45 grand finals of my pool vs Diddy/Kirby. A lot of missed inputs, but didn't end up mattering.

Edit: I just watched this match again and damn it's one of the best I've got online haha. Other than missed inputs I think it's a pretty good match to watch movement wise at least.

Have a lot of doubles matches if anyone cares to see them.

Last edited:

ThatManMa

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-5034-8443
@ Angbad Angbad I love your movement in your matches. Very agile and impressive
I'd like to see your double matches if you don't mind

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

Hey try to post some matches of you losing as well so we can tell you what you did wrong. You play a lot like me tbh haha. But your pikmin management was one of the big things I noticed you should work on. Like knowing exactly when you'll have an active pikmin to attack and which one it is

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I've got this sort of old video of me playing against one of my crew members though it's just some friendlies so do with it what you will.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
http://www.twitch.tv/newmetastream/b/627425325 59:45 grand finals of my pool vs Diddy/Kirby. A lot of missed inputs, but didn't end up mattering.

Edit: I just watched this match again and damn it's one of the best I've got online haha. Other than missed inputs I think it's a pretty good match to watch movement wise at least.

Have a lot of doubles matches if anyone cares to see them.
I don't know why but I couldn't see anything.

I do believe a lot that Olimar IS the anti Diddy. I'm very confident about this.

I'm on a crusade to prove this by compiling a lot of my videos playing against good Diddys.
I have found some patterns, some of them has to do with initiating the match and edge guarding, others about the adaptation of Diddy without using the banana, etc. It's really hard to tell yet, need more research.

I hope to be able to buy soon the capture card that will allow me to save the replays better than a cellphone video recording.

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Hey! I'm Soulimar, first time posting, been playing smash competitively ~4 years. Here are some videos of me from Norcal's regional sized tourney from last weekend.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxEGNPa3oo Winner's Quarters vs Jeepy Sol (Wario)
youtube.com/watch?v=6agdDPcHYzA Winner's Semis vs NME | Zex (Sheik)
youtube.com/watch?v=DE0nPSr1gdk Loser's Quarters vs 1UP | RedX (Diddy)

Sorry, not enough posts to insert links D:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Hey! I'm Soulimar, first time posting, been playing smash competitively ~4 years. Here are some videos of me from Norcal's regional sized tourney from last weekend.

Hey I watched the last two.

Pretty solid Olimar. There were two things I thought you could work on. First your color management. There were times I was wondering why you kept certain colors. For instance you had just gotten a kill and your like up was BBY. When I'm in that situation I'll usually get rid of the blues because they aren't good for grab combos or really anything at low percent.

Second was your side-B usage. You would throw out one too many and your opponents started to have no fear of you. Mixing it up with fsmash/pivot grabs/pivot fsmashes would have netted you a lot more percent.

I really liked the way you recovered high so often, I'll have to try that.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz

great and stunning Olimar. I like the way you play, it's some kind similar to Angbad, Myran, Etc.
I try to play like that but I'm always rolling, escaping and I'm terrible at reading and countering.
You have guts to do Usmash and don't die on the attempt, I liked that. I wish I could do that as well.

But I noticed something weird I have never seen before. At 3:01 you are falling whistling and Wario gets "hit" by something. Can someone explain that?

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
great and stunning Olimar. I like the way you play, it's some kind similar to Angbad, Myran, Etc.
I try to play like that but I'm always rolling, escaping and I'm terrible at reading and countering.
You have guts to do Usmash and don't die on the attempt, I liked that. I wish I could do that as well.

But I noticed something weird I have never seen before. At 3:01 you are falling whistling and Wario gets "hit" by something. Can someone explain that?
It was a Neutral Air

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
If someone else would like to take ownership of this thread to keep it updated with current videos that'd be great. The OP seems to be inactive, and I don't really want to be the guy who has to keep doing it.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
If someone else would like to take ownership of this thread to keep it updated with current videos that'd be great. The OP seems to be inactive, and I don't really want to be the guy who has to keep doing it.
If I were to take hold of this thread, what would I need to do in regards to updating videos? Do I just update this list when someone submits a video and what not?

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm not quite sure if I should be doing this, but I think this is not the proper way of playing against Sonic.
Olimar vs Sonic
Can we use this kind of things to tell Olimar players what must not be done? Or is better to put videos of what has to be done only?
Something like a good/bad example thing?

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Can we use this kind of things to tell Olimar players what must not be done? Or is better to put videos of what has to be done only?
I think it's fine but it probably should stay away from the list on the front page and just put here more for analysis rather then for reference.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
If I were to take hold of this thread, what would I need to do in regards to updating videos? Do I just update this list when someone submits a video and what not?
Really you would just be updating the list with new videos that come in as it's been done before.

I'm not quite sure if I should be doing this, but I think this is not the proper way of playing against Sonic.
Olimar vs Sonic
That I don't think is a good idea. It would discourage people from posting videos that may be "bad". This thread is a place to share videos of gameplay to either help others learn from it, or have it critiqued by others.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Really you would just be updating the list with new videos that come in as it's been done before.
Okay I can do that I'm always look for things to do on Smashboards anyways.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Okay I can do that I'm always look for things to do on Smashboards anyways.
Awesome, I'll give you the ability to edit it. Just maintain the same format that has been happening now. I believe the last video I added were Angbad's twich vod.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Awesome, I'll give you the ability to edit it. Just maintain the same format that has been happening now. I believe the last video I added were Angbad's twich vod.
Alright then.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Myran is it okay to add spoilers to each section so it's less crowded?

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
That I don't think is a good idea. It would discourage people from posting videos that may be "bad". This thread is a place to share videos of gameplay to either help others learn from it, or have it critiqued by others.
Got it. Delete that post then :).

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Olimar vs Sonic

Yea post videos here to be critiqued

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Yea post videos here to be critiqued
I asked because isn't me who is playing. Is just a video that I found and I think we all agree that it's a bad way of playing against Sonic.
I thought to use it it as a bad example, but Myran already told me to not do so.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
It's fine to have videos be critiques or analyzed. I just don't think it will help lower level players if we're clumping their vids into the bad section. Also what one player finds good might not be true for another player.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
You're right, thank you. My bad xD.
Give me your opinion :D.
From what I can tell you play a lot like me, it's actually kind of scary. So I would work on using D-Smash less, though it's still really good I feel as that you and I may use it to much making it very predictable. Also don't be as reckless with your grabs, I saw a lot of missed grabs and it can be costly. I noticed you do Dash Attack more then me and I would advise against using that to approach as it can be shield punished, though as a mix-up and punish option it's okay. Also make sure to throw you Pikmin on to the stage when trying to recover, it applies pressure and makes your recovery go farther so it's a win win. Other then that I'm not really sure, I feel as though I'm not as good as I can be with Olimar. Just need to watch more Myran and Angbad I guess. Solid Olimar bro keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom