• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper

Smash Champion
Hmm... Shrink, I think you could use some more aerials. In two of your matches I watched, I never saw a I Uair, any Bairs. On top of that, I saw you whistle only twice. You might find the whistle very useful.

I also think you should try the down throw into Usmash attack. Though the Dthrow into fair is good too. Keep it up.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
Much better this time, they actually worked lol. Really good games though! You are crazy aggressive with edge guarding haha, got punished a couple times though. I really like how you WAIT when recovering, when people are edgehogging! I do that too, lol But I like the Uair when recovering or when people are coming back and trying to edgehog, i need to try that. Good matches

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
nice vids! wow, u play a great aggressive game. i wish i was that showy, but i'm a good camper/defensive minded player. has its advantages. anyways, gj

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=getyourtournament&search_query=Mr+X&search=Search

Those are new, tournament out west I believe, play style is interestingly Old NC_Echo ish, grab heavy based on connecting as much and often as possible, frequent latch. Far from flawless Mr X doesn't make great use of aerials, flat out doesn't use WAC, and at times seems to have lost track of his pikmin lineup, resulting in an ineffective white FSmash or missed purple grab as the result. Very aggressive olimar, and by far the fastest I've seen videos of before, these videos have something to offer everyone here.

-True

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Gazelle vs Everyone

Hello! I finally have a video. It's quite an old one that I saved, but I can finally show it to everyone because I have a Gamebridge now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GGzrnXoCyu4 (Gazelle (Olimar) vs Everyone (Toon Link, Toon Link, Sonic)

It is a free-for-all in Basic Brawl. Please rate it and leave a comment. :)

Magzillas

Smash Rookie
Combo/Gameplay video

Here's my contribution to the Olimar video cache - a Combo video that I conjured up during some free time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMoXmWo5UqE

There's a lot of things I need to work on, mainly Pikmin organization, but this video should give new Olimar players a good look into what the spaceman and his plants can do.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
pretty good man. what are you doing with your controller exactly? just wondering...

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
pretty good man. what are you doing with your controller exactly? just wondering...
Sadly I want to make Tap Jump off. I usually am using the Y button for it but I'm just trying to get the Nair to Up Tilt to combo better as well as a better approach or Out of Shield option, even though that's pointless to talk about it brawl.

I found something out about Zelda as well, Nair > than Din's Fire.

I'll keep this in mind from now on because after seeing it beat it I think I can progress and get better.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Dr. Hyde--
You play pretty nice it looks for the most part, however you miss alot of edge grabs and do some stupid stuff while near them. Only advice I can give from watching the first two vids would be stay further away from the edge than most Olimars.. or get better at not killing yourself/grabbing it.
You died every death nearly due to you getting the chain on it, then you letting go and missing the second one. Once you even tried to get three in a row?

That Zelda is very nice though it looks!
So to put up with that I'd say you were good.

EDIT:: Watched Gazelle's video.
I can't say if you are good or not because I generally scale it on 1v1 fights or even 2v2. Seeing how it's a FFA, Olimar has potentially the best game (Along with Ike). On top of that, the three players didn't know how to play well I feel.

Wolf misses his Up+B.. ALOT.
All I see link doing is using a C-Stick.
Ike didn't even catch my eye the whole fight..

Get some videos where you play good people!
Oh and.. nice choice of music.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sadly I want to make Tap Jump off. I usually am using the Y button for it but I'm just trying to get the Nair to Up Tilt to combo better as well as a better approach or Out of Shield option, even though that's pointless to talk about it brawl.

I found something out about Zelda as well, Nair > than Din's Fire.

I'll keep this in mind from now on because after seeing it beat it I think I can progress and get better.
interesting, i tried turning tap jump off. It didn't work too well. Whenever I fell after hitting my opponent in the air, I'd fall to the ground and wanted to jump. I use x/y to jump(depending on circumstance) I tried to jump without tap jump in that circumstance and I couldn't move my finger from x to the c-stick fast enough to get another hit off. Do you understand? well, anyways, I discovered c-stick set on attack. I no longer have trouble with nairs or tilts. :) That's the only problem I have with tap jump off. My friend uses R to jump to solve this problem. He has trouble SHing though with this configuration. I don't see it as a good trade off.

yeah, most nairs outprioritize din's, you'll find. Unless I'm close to my opponent, I just SHdodge din's and throw a pikmen. It's quite easy now after practicing with the zelda for months.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Dr. Hyde--
You play pretty nice it looks for the most part, however you miss alot of edge grabs and do some stupid stuff while near them. Only advice I can give from watching the first two vids would be stay further away from the edge than most Olimars.. or get better at not killing yourself/grabbing it.
You died every death nearly due to you getting the chain on it, then you letting go and missing the second one. Once you even tried to get three in a row?

That Zelda is very nice though it looks!
So to put up with that I'd say you were good.
Thanks, I know my friend is amazing with Zelda he also is good at keeping close to the edge. I'm going to work on that part of my game and I should be good. The staying-in-the-center-of-the-stage part.

interesting, i tried turning tap jump off. It didn't work too well. Whenever I fell after hitting my opponent in the air, I'd fall to the ground and wanted to jump. I use x/y to jump(depending on circumstance) I tried to jump without tap jump in that circumstance and I couldn't move my finger from x to the c-stick fast enough to get another hit off. Do you understand? \
Basically for me the Tap up to jump off is taking getting used to but I think it'll definitely pay off.
And as far as C-stick speed I understand since I didn't like moving my hands fast. I'm getting used to using just A button and the Analog for attacks in the air. If I get rid of my dependency on the C-stick I might be able to use it for other things but Snake doesn't help me in that respect.:ohwell:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Basically for me the Tap up to jump off is taking getting used to but I think it'll definitely pay off.
And as far as C-stick speed I understand since I didn't like moving my hands fast. I'm getting used to using just A button and the Analog for attacks in the air. If I get rid of my dependency on the C-stick I might be able to use it for other things but Snake doesn't help me in that respect.:ohwell:
very understandable. I just feel more comfortable with the way I have it setup currently. Imo, it's not as beneficial as most people think. I have my own ways to compensate with my controller setup though.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to try to tape some matches today... need to find a Gamebridge or Capture Card...

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to try to tape some matches today... need to find a Gamebridge or Capture Card...
You should try getting the Dazzle from a Best Buy if you can. It's pretty easy to use and youtube has many videos on how to use it.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
this random, but dangr... u could always become one of the few to use the wii-mote/nunchuk, and jump with c and have the d-pad for smashes :p
i do this lol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You should try getting the Dazzle from a Best Buy if you can. It's pretty easy to use and youtube has many videos on how to use it.
how much does it cost about?

this random, but dangr... u could always become one of the few to use the wii-mote/nunchuk, and jump with c and have the d-pad for smashes :p
i do this lol
d-pad...as in the [down?] pad on the top of the wii-mote above "A"? I don't know the terminology exactly. I find is kinda difficult to reach that high and still have access to the "A"

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
how much does it cost about?

d-pad...as in the [down?] pad on the top of the wii-mote above "A"? I don't know the terminology exactly. I find is kinda difficult to reach that high and still have access to the "A"
Mine was about $54. The "Dazzle Platinum" is about $90ish I think, but as long as this one does it's job I wasn't gonna bother with the extra money o.O

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I highly suggest creating some sort of "best of" or "hall of fame" for the videos here. Its a very efficient way to show off the character to those who are curious as to how good the character is, among many other advantages. It will definitely be well worth the minimal amount of time it takes in the end.

By the way, as this thread hasn't been updated in quite some time, if a different dedicated member would like to create a new video thread then please do so. PM me once the new thread is complete and I will replace this sticky.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I'd be interested in this job. Although I'm a little busy I always come here almost everyday to update my thread or check and see if I have any knowledge that's needed.

But I'll just throw myself out there as a possible candidate in case anyone else would be up for it.

IllidR

Smash Champion
By the way, as this thread hasn't been updated in quite some time, if a different dedicated member would like to create a new video thread then please do so. PM me once the new thread is complete and I will replace this sticky.
That is a great idea. I haven't had time to get over and update very much or at all in quite some time. So someone else taking over would be greatly appreciated on my part.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Well I'm all for it. I'd have to start tomorrow though but I'm definitely down for the job, I do appreciate all the vids that have been put up over this long period of time since they've helped me more than anything. I'd gladly look over the vids and repost and update them.

I'll start tomorrow.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Gazelle vs Mr. X

Hello! :) The other day, I played against a person named Mr. X for almost two hours straight, online! I have no idea who he is, but he's incredibly good with a variety of characters. 99.9% of the time, he annihilated me. :) I usually don't like recording 1 vs 1 matches that are extremely one-sided. I think it's more entertaining to watch more balanced fights, where both players have a chance to win. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-xOGZVUZw Gazelle (Olimar P1) vs Mr. X (Olimar P2)

Notice how we both throw Pikmin differently. Mr. X loves to jump and throw Pikmin, while I like planting myself to the ground and throwing Pikmin. His accuracy is superb, too. Almost every single Pikmin he threw successfully latched onto me. :) I personally don't like jumping, in general. It makes me feel vulnerable. :)

Oh, and thanks for the constructive criticism about my free-for-all video. It was a Basic Brawl, so it's not a surprise that the players are not very good. I just wanted to post that video here because it looks like this thread is lacking new free-for-all videos.

Also, here's a video of Olimar vs. a different opponent who used Pokemon Trainer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ngTLvcqaVqU Gazelle (Olimar) vs G-Bis (Pokemon Trainer).

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Sorry Gazelle the Mr. X vid isn't coming up.

I'm sorry to say that PK trainer vid wasn't too impressive. It did however show how much a tether match matters. Hogging the edge vs. Ivysaur gave you a easy kill.
when Ivy saur hogged the edge, or was is Squirtle, I swear you where on a white pikmin which means a single whistle and you would have a purple out in front which was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw you start falling.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Aw... :( YouTube removed my video because I used a song by Ayumi Hamasaki. That was a good song, too.

I re-uploaded the video with a new song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-xOGZVUZw (Gazelle (Olimar P1) vs Mr. X (Olimar P2).

Yes, my Olimar is not very good, and I do struggle against Ivysaur. Interesting observation about my tethering failures. :) The Purple Pikmin was the third Pikmin in the line, since I did not whistle and they were out of order. It would have taken me a few whistles to get to the purple Pikmin, and my meta-thinking is not good enough, right now, to do that in the heat of battle. :) That shows that I have a lot of room for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom