• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Support [Pikmen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Yeah you guys are right. I'd have prefered if they took out Toon Link, Ganondorf AND Wolf so they could include one new character moveset (at the very most). Maybe we could have gotten someone cooler than all three combined.... like Waluigi or Ashley.

assassinX105

Smash Apprentice
The problem with your argument, is that you say "you are entitled to your own opinion", but go about saying how more sensible and correct your thoughts on things are. Wolf's final smash being the exact same thing as Fox and Falco's makes him a clone. Sure, he has different moves, yet all of his specials remain relative to Fox's. There are minor differences, but nothing huge. This, makes him a clone. Though, for him to have the exact final smash doesn't even compare close to being "luigified" (who, by the way, has a separate final smash than Mario).

Ganondorf's moves remain the same as they were before. Surely, you considered Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone back in Melee, correct? Why is that any different now? The reason why people are complaining about the character roster is because it is something to complain about! Brawl has gone under twice as much development time than Melee has, plus, they even have one of the biggest teams in video-game history. With all of that talk about "the character roster has been pushed to the limit," and "there will be no clones in Brawl," it's kind of hard not to complain.
K fine I'll lets drop this, people are going to complain about anything just for the sake of complaining, but when did the no clones rumor even come about, cause all I remember sakurai saying was "not all characters will be coming back from melee and the ones that do come back get new movesets", now tell me how that can be interpreted into no clones?

Pseudo_Sam

Smash Cadet
Oh man.

I was just re-living the moment when I saw the Pikmin and Olimar update on the Dojo. I woke up early (like always) to check the Dojo before heading off to school, saw the "CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" banner, and just sat there. I didn't scroll down for about five minutes, I was so amazed. The whole time I was thinking "Please be Olimar, please be Olimar", and sure enough, it was. The music was just the icing on the cake.

That turned out to be a great day. I won a school raffle and got 102% on a very important math test. It just goes to show you the power of Pikmin.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Oh man.

I was just re-living the moment when I saw the Pikmin and Olimar update on the Dojo. I woke up early (like always) to check the Dojo before heading off to school, saw the "CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" banner, and just sat there. I didn't scroll down for about five minutes, I was so amazed. The whole time I was thinking "Please be Olimar, please be Olimar", and sure enough, it was. The music was just the icing on the cake.

That turned out to be a great day. I won a school raffle and got 102% on a very important math test. It just goes to show you the power of Pikmin.
I had to leave early that day, so I didn't actually have much time to see the update. But it was the one day I was thinking, "oh man, I've been hoping for Olimar forever, there's no chance he'll be today's update." So sure enough there he was and I almost fell back in my chair from shock and amazement.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
I had to leave early that day, so I didn't actually have much time to see the update. But it was the one day I was thinking, "oh man, I've been hoping for Olimar forever, there's no chance he'll be today's update." So sure enough there he was and I almost fell back in my chair from shock and amazement.
I-I did fall out my chair. I have the stitches to prove it.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Are you guys blind?!?! The most important gamplay mechanic so far has been discovered! Now click my link post haste!
Wiseguy! You are right! This is what will most likely have the greatest impact upon the competitive smash scene. So now we of the Pikmen must find ways to apply this to the good captain. Which moves should Olimar keep in store to use as KO moves? Does this weaken how much pikmin can do while latched on? Let the strategizing begin!

Edit: Oh, and yes, Sakurai is a genius.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I've heard impressions that wondered why Pikmin thrown on an opponent attacked less against opponents with high damage, I think this would explain it. We''ll have to learn to conserve Olimar's best killing moves until we need them.

This is a BRILLIANT innovation. Now characters like Marth will have to use combos that DON't involve spamming the same moves over and over and over. I'm very happy.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
This is good news for Olimar since it looks like his entire moveset is pretty usable (from what I've seen). I wonder if this new mechanic also affects final smashes. For example in a longer match would the 3rd final smash be significantly weaker? Not that Final Smashes will happen that often, if at all at competitive level. Just something to think about.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh man.

This is almost exactly how my day went, and how great I felt when I saw Olimar was announced. Immediately after I saw it, a message flashed in my brain saying "Brawl is now complete. Enjoy. Of course then getting Toon Link and Wolf later on was just the icing on the cake

GO Olimar!

Still, whats the deal with this Pikmin clan Ive been hearing about? I was not informed :(

IllidR

Smash Champion
Drop Everthing!!!!!

The entire game just changed! Read this thread and be in awe of Sakurai's genius!

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141977&page=14
How do you think this will affect Olimar? Do you think because of his different types of Pikmin it wouldn't count as the same move being spammed? I.E. If i keep spamming only F-Smash with Olimar but each time it is a different color Pikmin, I won't lose damage and knockback.. not that I would though.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
How do you think this will affect Olimar? Do you think because of his different types of Pikmin it wouldn't count as the same move being spammed? I.E. If i keep spamming only F-Smash with Olimar but each time it is a different color Pikmin, I won't lose damage and knockback.. not that I would though.
I think this will affect Olimar in the sense that players will have to use his powerful attacks in extreme moderation while making good use of his less powerful attacks early in the match.

And no, I think the moves count the same regardless of the type of Pikmin used. This too adds to the strategy: why waiste a precious f-smash on a blue when you could use a purple?

:laugh::):ohwell::confused::(:cry:

OH NOEZ!!!!
What's the problem blitz? This is great news! Less spamming means more STRATEGY!

Florida

イーグランツ
K fine I'll lets drop this, people are going to complain about anything just for the sake of complaining, but when did the no clones rumor even come about, cause all I remember sakurai saying was "not all characters will be coming back from melee and the ones that do come back get new movesets", now tell me how that can be interpreted into no clones?
People honestly don't complain just for the sake of doing so. When there is something to complain, then we complain-- and different situations of appropriate times to complain are determined by each different person. In this case, a majority of the Smash community are complaining about the lack of a large character roster, and the amount of clones included. This, is definitely something to complain about.

Not only did Sakurai say that clone characters from Melee wouldn't be returning, but he mentioned that he wasn't planning on having any clones in the game at all. On top of that, he said that he wanted the character roster to reach 40-50. The final roster not even reaching his minimum expectations, is far too disappointing.

Certainly, an appropriate time to complain.

Oh man.

To be honest, the day of Olimar's announce was completely normal for me, but I was hella excited.

Drop Everthing!!!!!

The entire game just changed! Read this thread and be in awe of Sakurai's genius!

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141977&page=14
Yeah, I was looking at that thread earlier today. I'm actually glad that they made it this way; it's never fun fighting against a spamming Zelda, Samus, etc. Though, any attack Olimar has can be dangerously powerful with a certain Pikmin. All that we have to do, is refrain from spamming our smashes. His aerials can do some damage, and his tilts are amazing as well. I think we're set, as Olimar mains.

The only thing we need to worry about is his horrid recovery. :(

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
People honestly don't complain just for the sake of doing so. When there is something to complain, then we complain-- and different situations of appropriate times to complain are determined by each different person. In this case, a majority of the Smash community are complaining about the lack of a large character roster, and the amount of clones included. This, is definitely something to complain about.

Not only did Sakurai say that clone characters from Melee wouldn't be returning, but he mentioned that he wasn't planning on having any clones in the game at all. On top of that, he said that he wanted the character roster to reach 40-50. The final roster not even reaching his minimum expectations, is far too disappointing.

Certainly, an appropriate time to complain.
Wrong sir. The 40 character roster and no clones thing are both SWF myths with no basis in reality. Zip. Nada. It's a mass delusion. Not accurate. It's false. Trust me: nothing of the sort was ever, ever said by Sakurai or anyone else at Nintendo. There is no such quote.

Honestly, I've been predicting 35 characters since the Saumerai Goroh Assist Trophy update (any more than 35 and they would have included a second F-Zero rep). And as 35 character rosters go, this was is as good as they could have possibily made.

The reality of the matter is that the reason there are 35 characters is because that's all they had time to include. Could they have included more at the expense of character balance or fine-tuned gameplay? Yes, but I'm VERY thankful that they didn't.

Also: there is nothing even remotely wrong with clones.

assassinX105

Smash Apprentice
Wrong sir. The 40 character roster and no clones thing are both SWF myths with no basis in reality. Zip. Nada. It's a mass delusion. Not accurate. It's false. Trust me: nothing of the sort was ever, ever said by Sakurai or anyone else at Nintendo. There is no such quote.

Honestly, I've been predicting 35 characters since the Saumerai Goroh Assist Trophy update (any more than 35 and they would have included a second F-Zero rep). And as 35 character rosters go, this was is as good as they could have possibily made.

The reality of the matter is that the reason there are 35 characters is because that's all they had time to include. Could they have included more at the expense of character balance or fine-tuned gameplay? Yes, but I'm VERY thankful that they didn't.

YAY someone actually listened to me, Thank you WiseGuy

Florida

イーグランツ

I hate it when people do this. Please realize, that they have different teams doing different jobs for Super Smash Bros. For example, one team would work solely on the gameplay mechanics and functions, while another team would work just on the characters added into the game. Adding/taking away time from one development process does not take away/add to another.

Also, here's a quote from Sakurai himself (SP's translations):

But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade. It is this sort of thing [This sentence is slang, so there really isn't a good English translation for it].

(also, Sakurai mentioned that he would like to have "40-50 characters, no more than 50.")

Clearly, no returning character has been remade "significantly." You would think that if the clones were to return, then at least they would get the attention of being revamped. But, not even that. Regarding to what you said about clones not being too bad of a thing to have: too many clones is. Brawl, has too many.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I hate it when people do this. Please realize, that they have different teams doing different jobs for Super Smash Bros. For example, one team would work solely on the gameplay mechanics and functions, while another team would work just on the characters added into the game. Adding/taking away time from one development process does not take away/add to another.
Yes, the teams designing characters and balancing gameplay are spearate but surely they have to work in close colaboration. The character creation team could probably make characters like Oliamr relatively easily, but making him control in such a way that is both enjoyable and balanced takes time.

Also, here's a quote from Sakurai himself (SP's translations):
Hmm... so this quote exists after all! However, he said that's what he said he would LIKE to see. It's nice to want things. But we can't always get what we want in life. That includes videogame development.

Clearly, no returning character has been remade "significantly."

You would think that if the clones were to return, then at least they would get the attention of being revamped. But, not even that.
I think the characters in Brawl have been significantly remade. The movesets of Link and Toon Link are EXTREMELY different this time. The same with Falcon and Ganon, Luigi and Mario, as well as Fox and Falco.

Regarding to what you said about clones not being too bad of a thing to have: too many clones is. Brawl, has too many.
Clones are awesome if you play as another character with the same moveset. Being able to alternate between Mario and Doc was way more fun in Melee than being limited to one version of the moveset. I envy Fox/Falco/Wolf mains becuase they can rotate between three characters while retaining the same skillset. In fact, I wish Olimar had a clone so I could have this same freedom (alas, poor Louie).

Florida

イーグランツ
Yes, the teams designing characters and balancing gameplay are spearate but surely they have to work in close colaboration. The character creation team could probably make characters like Oliamr relatively easily, but making him control in such a way that is both enjoyable and balanced takes time.
Clones are awesome if you play as another character with the same moveset. Being able to alternate between Mario and Doc was way more fun in Melee than being limited to one version of the moveset. I envy Fox/Falco/Wolf mains becuase they can rotate between three characters while retaining the same skillset. In fact, I wish Olimar had a clone so I could have this same freedom (alas, poor Louie).
Sure balancing and further advancing in a character's development takes time. But, for one of the largest teams in video game history, and development time which was far longer than what Melee received, it's a wonder how only 35 characters made it into the game, with 1-3 clones.

So, you would rather have three Foxes instead of three completely original characters? You yourself even said that you would give up all of the clones in Brawl for room of one more unique character.

Hmm... so this quote exists after all! However, he said that's what he said he would LIKE to see. It's nice to want things. But we can't always get what we want in life. That includes videogame development.
Correct. Still, a huge disappointment.

I think the characters in Brawl have been significantly remade. The movesets of Link and Toon Link are EXTREMELY different this time. The same with Falcon and Ganon, Luigi and Mario, as well as Fox and Falco.
Replacing one suck-ish move with a completely worthless move (so I hear), is hardly a significant change. In that, a lot of veterans were changed to a point, but nothing significant. In the end, their moves are almost completely the same.

As for Toon Link, he's just another Young Link. A clone with a minor change in attacks. Nothing more. Though, you can not say that Wolf and Toon Link's final smash being the exact same thing as their original is "cool." Really, that's where most of the complaining originated.

As for Ganondorf, you also can not say that you are glad he is back as he was before. Almost every single person in this forum wanted a moveset involving his sword, or at least something different. Most of his moves are the same as they were-- heck, even the up-tilt is back. That's just lazy.

Luigi, no one is complaining about.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sure balancing and further advancing in a character's development takes time. But, for one of the largest teams in video game history, and development time which was far longer than what Melee received, it's a wonder how only 35 characters made it into the game, with 1-3 clones.

So, you would rather have three Foxes instead of three completely original characters? You yourself even said that you would give up all of the clones in Brawl for room of one more unique character.

Replacing one suck-ish move with a completely worthless move (so I hear), is hardly a significant change. In that, a lot of veterans were changed to a point, but nothing significant. In the end, their moves are almost completely the same.

As for Toon Link, he's just another Young Link. A clone with a minor change in attacks. Nothing more. Though, you can not say that Wolf and Toon Link's final smash being the exact same thing as their original is "cool." Really, that's where most of the complaining originated.

As for Ganondorf, you also can not say that you are glad he is back as he was before. Almost every single person in this forum wanted a moveset involving his sword, or at least something different. Most of his moves are the same as they were-- heck, even the up-tilt is back. That's just lazy.

Egruntz, I really dont think it matters anymore. Clones are not terrible. I also understand why it was best to keep Ganondorf a clone.

First, all of those who mained Ganon in melee possibly would not end up maining him again because his sword-based moveset would be quite different from his Melee one.

Also, his moveset varies greatly from C. Falcon's this time around, like I said in previous posts, his side B is different, his B is not a punch, and his FS is very, very different.

Clones add a different flavor to characters in the way that Falco mainers were not even close to good Fox mainers in Melee. Theyre so unbelievably different, and are not even close to the same when it comes to gameplay.

Now, there are even more differences. I.e. - Falco throws his reflector, he punches also.

Wolf is not even close to a clone minus the landmaster, dont bring up Wolf.

Toon Link..well, when it comes down to it, was there any other GOOD choice? THe Deku leaf would be nice, but that would be a clone of snake's cypher. The grappling hook? Oh noes, another teher recovery.

And those quotes only realy proved that those things were not said. Like Wiseguy said, proof that there should have been 40-50 characters would have been Sakurai saying "Ok guys, 40-50 characters and thats final!' But instead, he said he'd LIKE to have 40-50 characters, which, as it turns out in final development did not come to be. Complaining will really not do any good in this situation.

I'd say be happy with the roster, main Olimar, and knock the **** out of the characters you hate on Wifi. I'd do that, but I love this roster, noone on there I'd make a punching bag.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Maybe this comic can help you understand why we don't have one:

Nooooooooo! I still care about you Louie! :cry:

I prefer to see it as a sign that there was an unprecidented level of attanetion paid to balance and gameplay polish - which hindered the number of characters they could include. A fair trade off, I say.

That's a false choice. An original character takes much longer to program. I would guess that three clones take about the same ammount of time as a single original character. And judging by the character poll in General Brawl discussion, lots of people agree with the decision.

And did I really say that? Well, I guess my opinion had changed with the times.

It's a matter of expectations, I suppose. I've felt that a 35 character roster was inevitable since the Goroh AT update (no Goroh = no second F-Zero rep, which only makes sense in a small roster).

I call it a significant change, just not a POSITIVE one. (I'm still hopeful that the FLUDD has some hidden potential that has yet to be discovered).

But yes, most of the changes that characters have undergone have been in the area of nerfing/buffing rather than outright altering. But why fix what's not broken?

Toon Link (much like Young Link before him) might technically be a slightly altered clone, but his play style is as different from Link as two characters can be. And his attacks (bombs, boomerang, sword and sheild) are as well suited for him as they are for Normal Link.

The landmaster thing... well I can understand why people hate it (I find it kind of hilarious). But I understand thet they wouldn't have gone that route if they had had time to design two new ones. But hey, if you are going to copy a FS at least they chose one of the coolest.

I was disappointed initially about Ganondorf. But upon reflection, I realized that Ike already has the heavy/slow sword fighter niche down and I sure wouldn't like thm to take out a unique character for another sword moveset. In terms of his attacks, they are as unique from Falcon as Luigi's are from Mario and his brawl-knuckle-brawler moveset from Melee is a great fit, in my opinion.

Florida

イーグランツ
Egruntz, I really dont think it matters anymore. Clones are not terrible. I also understand why it was best to keep Ganondorf a clone. First, all of those who mained Ganon in melee possibly would not end up maining him again because his sword-based moveset would be quite different from his Melee one. Also, his moveset varies greatly from C. Falcon's this time around, like I said in previous posts, his side B is different, his B is not a punch, and his FS is very, very different.
Why it was best to keep Ganondorf a clone? ...What? People wouldn't main him if he was changed? ...What?! The majority of the Ganondorf mains in SSBM wanted Ganondorf to be different in Brawl. In Melee, seeing one of the most important Nintendo villains of all time being a copy of a random racer didn't excite too many people. If you look through the Ganondorf threads made, everyone wanted him with a sword, or at the least a different moveset. Think of it this way: if he was revamped, he would have attracted more mains. His final smash is different, I'll give him that. Though, it's likely that most tournaments will be turning smash balls off; final smashes hardly matter at that point.

Clones add a different flavor to characters in the way that Falco mainers were not even close to good Fox mainers in Melee. Theyre so unbelievably different, and are not even close to the same when it comes to gameplay. Now, there are even more differences. I.e. - Falco throws his reflector, he punches also.
I never suggested Falco as being a clone. I agree that he is luigified, and a good addition to the roster. So, don't bring up that argument.

All four of Wolf's specials are very similar to Fox. His side special is still a zip, swift attack, his up special is still a "firefox," his down special is still a reflector, and his neutral special is still a gun. Sure, there are differences, but he's just too **** similar. PLUS, he has the same final smash. With Falco that was O.K., but with Wolf? Now that's just pushing it.

I would have preferred Kyrstal in Wolf's position. Not only would she of had a completely unique moveset, but chances are that her final smash would be quite different as well.

Toon Link..well, when it comes down to it, was there any other GOOD choice? THe Deku leaf would be nice, but that would be a clone of snake's cypher.
Was there any other good choice? Oh dear god, I'm not even going to answer that one.

And those quotes only realy proved that those things were not said. Like Wiseguy said, proof that there should have been 40-50 characters would have been Sakurai saying "Ok guys, 40-50 characters and thats final!' But instead, he said he'd LIKE to have 40-50 characters, which, as it turns out in final development did not come to be. Complaining will really not do any good in this situation.
Already covered. You can not get around complaining.

I'd say be happy with the roster, main Olimar, and knock the **** out of the characters you hate on Wifi. I'd do that, but I love this roster, noone on there I'd make a punching bag.
Tru dat, homie.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well actually, I seem to remember a few people posting in the prior-to-leaks-Ganondorf thread saying "Will you guys hate me if I say i'd rather him retain his Melee moveset?"

And you know, I didnt say people wouldnt be ABLE to main him if he had a swrod moveset, they just might find it, after actually using it, to be a major change that didnt suit their playstyle.

And really, weve already got: 2 Zelda sword users
2 Fire Emblem Sword users
1 1/2 Kirby sword users (Kirby has final cutter, which involves a sword.
Pit uses a sword (well two actually)
And 2 1/2 hammer using characters (Kirby has one of those too)

As much as I wanted Ganon to have a sword, we just had too many already, and he pulls it out in a taunt, I think thats probably enough.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
why are we talking about clones in the olimar thread? we should be talking about how awsome olimar is, and how awsome his partner is in sse. From what ive heard his partner is chuck norris.....er i mean capt. falcon. Which i love, cause its my to fav characters as partners.
Olimar is too awesome for words. That is understood in this thread.

"Our purples will block out the sun!"

Please continue this.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Yeah, I suppose CFM is right. I think we may have to agree to disagree on the roster, Egruntz. (I think you missed my rebutal on the previous page, but it doesn't matter. ;))

I'm really happy with Olimar's SSE partner (Captains unite!) but please don't spoil any of the details.

assassinX105

Smash Apprentice
Egruntz, I really dont think it matters anymore. Clones are not terrible. I also understand why it was best to keep Ganondorf a clone.

First, all of those who mained Ganon in melee possibly would not end up maining him again because his sword-based moveset would be quite different from his Melee one.

Also, his moveset varies greatly from C. Falcon's this time around, like I said in previous posts, his side B is different, his B is not a punch, and his FS is very, very different.

Clones add a different flavor to characters in the way that Falco mainers were not even close to good Fox mainers in Melee. Theyre so unbelievably different, and are not even close to the same when it comes to gameplay.

Now, there are even more differences. I.e. - Falco throws his reflector, he punches also.

Toon Link..well, when it comes down to it, was there any other GOOD choice? THe Deku leaf would be nice, but that would be a clone of snake's cypher. The grappling hook? Oh noes, another teher recovery.

I think you and me are going to be good friends, same goes for Wiseguy

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
what about the bulborbs?
The bulborb is truly a humble creature... that enjoys eating sentient vegetables...

We must show the bulborb love too! The Pikmen need transportation! Tame the mighty bulborb!!

:cool:

And remember, all the bulborbs must be given a landmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom