• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Support [Pikmen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draenic gamer

Smash Cadet
Haha, it's kind of funny, I was talking to my crush yesterday and told her Captain Olimar would win the 2008 elections(It's as surprising as it is amazing ^-^)

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
congradulations on getting olimar, I was sceptical on how he would work but I think they(nintendo) did a good job with the balance. I am going to throw a guess to how he works(from the update):
1.he can only have 5 pikmen at a time(1 of each color)
2.most(if not all) of his attacks depend on the pikmen.
3. due to the fact that sakurai said they tend to scatter, they will still do that annoying freak out and run thing.
4. hammer= the enemy of pikmen.
5. he will probably do well in one on ones (due to nombers but tht may not be true).
I knew people would think this, that he could only have five out at a time. And based on the pictures, it seems that that is the case (having one of each). But the update says "Olimar joins the fray with five colors of Pikmin." And maybe he will have only five, one of each color, but I still doubt that. I think there are just five different types and that there is a cap, but that it's still more than five. Obviously we see no pictures with more than five or with double of a particular color, but this is still my guess.

I'd imagine that his smash attacks all involved Pikmin, but his weak attack (aka tilts) either don't involve Pikmin or can be used without them if they aren't present.

In general, I think people are reacting too harshly to his character description, most of those people are reading too much into it or aren't putting it into the context of his games (not saying you are, but I thought I'd take the time to touch on this)...

"He plucks them from the ground." Likely one of his special moves. I still say he can have more than five, but time will tell.

"Without Pikmin, Olimar can't even do a smash attack." See above. I think his tilts don't involve Pikmin.

The "short-lived Pikmin" likely an adjective also referencing the fact that they "scatter." In the games, they didn't have the best resistances. Thus, my guess is that they take too much of a beating, they will die quickly (along with the Pikmin soul rising from the shrinking corpse).

They "tend to scatter." Anyone played the games? *raises hand* You obviously know what this means. If danger arises, if there is water or poison or fire...they run like mad. This is just one of the downfalls of controlling a large group of laborers. Solution? One of his special moves will likely be a whistle to calm them down and bring them back.

"Theirs is a fated symbiotic relationship." This one is pretty obvious. Olimar needs the Pikmin to do his work for him and defeat enemies, and the Pikmin need Olimar to help them...well, live. They're too stupid to survive on their own. So, this relationship works to help accomplish whatever task needs to be done, in this case...Brawling.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I wonder if Olimar would gain some advantages from losing Pikmin...
Personally, I'd like to see something implemented where if they aren't near Olimar, they will go and attack the nearest target. I mean, this is what they did in the games; so why not? If we had to put up with little Pikmin running all over creation to attack things when they should have been following, it would be nice to have them just attack whatever is near and just attach to and start beating on it until it's knocked off...

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
It would be great if whenever Olimar grabs, all the Pikmin grab as well, no matter where they are XD

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
Wow. I've never finished my Pikmin 1, but it was very...interesting.
Perhaps all of the dead souls (Pikmin or enemies) create the Shadow Bugs that make the Subspace army possible.
Or perhaps it's just Wart. Regardless...

Florida

イーグランツ
Goodness! Captain Olimar joins the fray with five colors of Pikmin in tow!

From reading this, as well as viewing some of the other screen shots, it is very likely that the maximum amount of Pikmin which Olimar can command at a time is five. Beyond that, there are one of each color. Though, it's uncertain as to whether or not you actually start the match with your Pikmin at your side.

He plucks Pikmin from the ground and they fight as his allies.

Obviously, this will be Captain Olimar's down special move, and it will be very similar to Peach's turnips. You won't be able to "pluck" a Pikmin out of the air-- you must be stationary, and on solid surface. Also, I'm guessing that it'll take at least a second or two for Olimar to successfully recruit a new Pikmin.

Without Pikmin, Olimar can’t even do a Smash Attack.

Self-explanatory; Olimar will be very dependent on his Pikmin friends, most likely for both normal and special attacks. I imagine that Olimar will play very similar to the Ice Climbers, in a way. With the Pikmin at his side, Olimar will be stronger than the regular character; however, without the Pikmin, Olimar will be almost completely useless. Well balanced, if you ask me.

And the short-lived Pikmin tend to scatter. Theirs is a fated symbiotic relationship.

To me, this hints at his standard special move, being "the whistle". Whenever the Pikmin get confused and start to wonder about the stage on their own, it is Olimar's job to get them back in order and by his side, with his whistle. You would have to be in a certain range while blowing the whistle, otherwise the Pikmin won't hear your command.

:) Discuss.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I always wanted to join the Olimar support group, he was my #1 most wanted character, so I guess now is the perfect time to join. He is definitely my favorite new character, and I'm especially looking forward to his stage. by the way, what is the stage behind him in the top left photo, could that be his stage?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

From reading this, as well as viewing some of the other screen shots, it is very likely that the maximum amount of Pikmin which Olimar can command at a time is five. Beyond that, there are one of each color. Though, it's uncertain as to whether or not you actually start the match with your Pikmin at your side.
I'm not too sure about this. The sentense literally says that all five flavors of Pikmin can be summoned - it doesn't really say that this is the maximum number he can use at a time. While it's suspicious that none of the screens show more than two of the critters or two of the same kind, I'm holding out hope that he simply starts out with five and can pluck more.

Notice the low-polygaon count of the Pikmin compared to Olimar? I think that's because there can be lots of Pikmin on screen at once and they don't want it to slow the gameplay.

FallenAngelPit

Smash Apprentice

He plucks Pikmin from the ground and they fight as his allies.

Obviously, this will be Captain Olimar's down special move, and it will be very similar to Peach's turnips. You won't be able to "pluck" a Pikmin out of the air-- you must be stationary, and on solid surface. Also, I'm guessing that it'll take at least a second or two for Olimar to successfully recruit a new Pikmin.

Without Pikmin, Olimar can’t even do a Smash Attack.

Self-explanatory; Olimar will be very dependent on his Pikmin friends, most likely for both normal and special attacks. I imagine that Olimar will play very similar to the Ice Climbers, in a way. With the Pikmin at his side, Olimar will be stronger than the regular character; however, without the Pikmin, Olimar will be almost completely useless. Well balanced, if you ask me.

And the short-lived Pikmin tend to scatter. Theirs is a fated symbiotic relationship.

To me, this hints at his standard special move, being "the whistle". Whenever the Pikmin get confused and start to wonder about the stage on their own, it is Olimar's job to get them back in order and by his side, with his whistle. You would have to be in a certain range while blowing the whistle, otherwise the Pikmin won't hear your command.

:) Discuss.
I agree with this.
though, you forgot one thing: the flowers. though they might just be random andnd useless, heres how I think they'll work.
so his side special is obviously pikmin throw, and, staying true to the game, they will latch onto people and start whacking them, and the only way to get them off is to run like a maniac (dashdance?) or to get F-smashed in the face. however, after doing a certain amount of damage, say, 15%, they will "level-up" (pik'emon?) hitting harder and faster. logical?
wow, that just inspired me to wright a pikmin pokemon song :chuckle:

farewell :cool:

Florida

イーグランツ
I'm not too sure about this. The sentense literally says that all five flavors of Pikmin can be summoned - it doesn't really say that this is the maximum number he can use at a time. While it's suspicious that none of the screens show more than two of the critters or two of the same kind, I'm holding out hope that he simply starts out with five and can pluck more.

Notice the low-polygaon count of the Pikmin compared to Olimar? I think that's because there can be lots of Pikmin on screen at once and they don't want it to slow the gameplay.
I've also seen Pyr0's low-polygon theory, but haven't gotten around to replying my arguments against it. It's pretty much clear that they lowered the polygon count to help the game run more smooth, so he's half right. However, I still believe that the maximum amount of Pikmin you'll be able to command at a time is five, and here's why:

Firstly, let me just point out the screen shots at the DOJO. All of the screen shots had either five Pikmin, or below, at Olimar's side. Yes, maybe this is just because that's the starting amount that he's given, but I personally do not think so. Now onto Pyr0's theory, which further helps my theory: just think of a game where all four players are Pikmin & Olimar. Assuming that the starting, and maximum amount of Pikmin given to you is five, that's 20 or so Pikmin running about, responding to commands. Surely that in itself is enough to have made the game run a little laggy.

And of course the line I quoted from the DOJO doesn't give a straight-forward answer to the starting and maximum amount-- it's just pure speculation, is all.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dont care what his specials are, it doesnt even matter anymore, HES IN! WOOOOOOOOOT!!

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
well i'm just going to throw this out their but i think that he can have more than 5, i mean he was alwoed 99 of each kind in the game right? (if i remember right or mabye just 99 at least in the 1st). so i'm guessing his finial smash would depend on how many pikmin you had out when you used it, so im guessing you can get more than just 5. any agreer's out thur?

EDIT: btw that cammo hat in yalls sig would make a great alternate costume :chuckle:

Sonallvegqu

Smash Cadet
I bet Olimar's Final Smash is using the Ultra-Bitter Spray, which temporarily petrifies (turns to stone) your opponents.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Well he always was and not doing that would be untrue to his character, its also a very fun and different way to play.

brawler12

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I think his b-moves will be...

B-Tap-will throw a pikmin} You have to have a b move that wont make kirby useless with the olimar hat
B-Hold-Will pluck a pikmin
B<>-He will blow his whistle while running he will be able to call more pikmin
DownB-He will get a bomb-rock from a yellow pik and throw it
B^-He will make a pikmin tether rope to reach the stage

Thoughts opinions critiques???

IllidR

Smash Champion
does everybody find the flood of Olimar supporters after he was confirmed so funny:laugh:? i do.

I actually find it hilarious. Lots of them saying they were Olimar supporter "since the beginning." Yet I don't recall ever seeing them in this thread. But it's okay, we were there with Olimar for all of time, we've got history.

brawler12

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of history Illidr what ever happened to Valli??? He was a hradcore Olimar supporter.
We really need a criteria for joining this club I love new members, but who knows if they are Olimar worthy????

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

I actually find it hilarious. Lots of them saying they were Olimar supporter "since the beginning." Yet I don't recall ever seeing them in this thread. But it's okay, we were there with Olimar for all of time, we've got history.
Well I Was just a bit lazy on ever comming here and i knew he was going to make it. :laugh:.

Anyhow to bad it was only snake's FS, I Was really hoping for olimar's special moves, But i can't wait to see how he plays out.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Captain Olimar, dont know why Sakurai could him Pikmin and Olimar. But the only people who wouldn't recognize me are the newer members of this thread, I was pretty active back in the old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom