• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Support [Pikmen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida

イーグランツ
The Brawl Central Pikmen needs some cleaning-up. Whedgehead is hardly online, and even mentioned to me that he wanted to give up his leadership; but whenever I bring that up and try to progress with the clan, he always finds some way to stall...

IllidR

Smash Champion
The Brawl Central Pikmen needs some cleaning-up. Whedgehead is hardly online, and even mentioned to me that he wanted to give up his leadership; but whenever I bring that up and try to progress with the clan, he always finds some way to stall...
Yeah, me and Egruntz have been trying to work something out with them but unfortunately lack of cooperation has gotten us nowhere. So we shall just let them sit for now.

By the way the End of the Day Music is SO good!

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
if it is maybe you guys should change it and only make extremly good players join that would be nice:)

**** i double posted my bad

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I'm a tad confused overall by all this. I've read the first post, and understand this group was a useful way to pass time prior to brawls release, especially prior to character confirmation, but am missing what the pikmen are now.

It could be used the same as a player finder, where everyone sorta registers their tag and area as an Oli user, useful if you don't know all the smashers in your area and want to find an Oli player. See SSBM character specific forums if you don't understand my hasty explanation.

It also could take a different approach, entirely casual more of a fan club than anything else, which nothing personal but all in all I feel fan clubs are pretty useless, I mean what would a fan club on a board do? At most it separates Oli players who troll the boards and Oli players who don't or wouldn't bother joining, if theres more to it, I'd be interested to hear.

The last alternative is the flip side of the fan club coin, an elite "ish" standing/ranking or club of the top Oli mains on the boards. This type of thing could be useful, these people of the community would be the local go to people for questions or bounce ideas off of. They'd be the ones to decide whats added/edited in the guide, rank/organize the videos in the collection thread, just generally a small group considered the best Oli players to keep the peace and organize this board. Maybe the leader would even be a mod.

So theres my thoughts, per normal its a lot to read; i apologize, but odds are you simply didn't read it if it was too much writing for you. Basically having not been a part of the pikmen ever I realize my say means nothing, but if leadership of a group is changing, thats probably the best time for change in the group itself, especially since this group doesn't seem to actually know what it is. =)

-True

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
I'm a tad confused overall by all this. I've read the first post, and understand this group was a useful way to pass time prior to brawls release, especially prior to character confirmation, but am missing what the pikmen are now.

It could be used the same as a player finder, where everyone sorta registers their tag and area as an Oli user, useful if you don't know all the smashers in your area and want to find an Oli player. See SSBM character specific forums if you don't understand my hasty explanation.

It also could take a different approach, entirely casual more of a fan club than anything else, which nothing personal but all in all I feel fan clubs are pretty useless, I mean what would a fan club on a board do? At most it separates Oli players who troll the boards and Oli players who don't or wouldn't bother joining, if theres more to it, I'd be interested to hear.

The last alternative is the flip side of the fan club coin, an elite "ish" standing/ranking or club of the top Oli mains on the boards. This type of thing could be useful, these people of the community would be the local go to people for questions or bounce ideas off of. They'd be the ones to decide whats added/edited in the guide, rank/organize the videos in the collection thread, just generally a small group considered the best Oli players to keep the peace and organize this board. Maybe the leader would even be a mod.

So theres my thoughts, per normal its a lot to read; i apologize, but odds are you simply didn't read it if it was too much writing for you. Basically having not been a part of the pikmen ever I realize my say means nothing, but if leadership of a group is changing, thats probably the best time for change in the group itself, especially since this group doesn't seem to actually know what it is. =)

-True

i totally agree with you, i really think we should do something like put a group of good oli players or something b/c other than that i really dont see any point in this topic:(

KraidGuy

Smash Ace
Phaaze. I am a mercenary of the Dark Hunter. Hel
In my way of seeing it, this thread was created for Olimar fans to gather and support him by making logical movesets, stages, and game-related items for him by posting them here, that is, before he was announced. That WAS what the ranks were for.

Now, I basicly see this thread as a way of "anticipating" to use him. We discuss his features, music, and other to pass the time until Brawl is released. I'm not sure if this is how everyone else sees this thread, but egrunts would be a much greater help in answering your question.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I am going to stop using Century Gothic font!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Does everything need to have a specific point or purpose? We're just a bunch of guys who enjoy discussing how awesome Olimar is. The "club" is just a symbol of our fandom. It's the club memebers who matter, folks like Egruntz and Illdr who have brought leadership and intelligence to the Pikmin & Olimar section (which is good, since the mods seem to have abandoned the Brawl character forums).

I'd like to see this thread become the hub of Olimar discussion once Brawl is released. A place to discuss strategies and the like. As for what happens with the BC club... it doesn't really concern me.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Wiseguy,
In no way did I mean to push a point or purpose onto the pikmen group or everything, promise, I realize I did come off a little strong and did not mean to. A fan club is a symbol of fandom, to steal your word, and a good symbol of it at that.

As for what happens once brawl is released, in my opinion thats what the whole character specific board should be about, not just this thread. Putting it all in one thread is very confusing, as often there are multiple conversations at once and is not the most accessible way for people to find information. Could you imagine the nightmare it would be to search through page after page because you forgot what page we started discussing a certain topic on? Also for the sake of new people just picking up olimer, or even the game, months after the release, seperate threads are easier to find/read rather than us pointing lost people towards certain page numbers in this thread.

No matter where olimer discussion goes down, as I certainly feel it should and will, organization is important and very helpful. My suggestion of a group based on ability/knowledge would be responsible for maintaining this organization, to create and in some ways be a reference for the Olimer community. It may be a surprise that not everyone on these boards exhibits responsibility and actual thought when posting. This group would serve as the olimer gurus, creditable acknowledged active posters who are accepted as the leaders of the community, are expected to know everything there is to know tactics/details wise, and have a sort of final word when it comes to playing Olimer well, not opinions like which color is best. They would be the people most capable of putting together the best olimer guide as far as playing competitively, able to judge which videos have the best playing in them, etc. Certainly the olimer board won't be all serious competative discussion, but for organizing references and ending silly debates that just turn into each side calling the other noobs, I think a group with these properties is also a good idea. This could very likely be a group completely separate from the pikmen, called something else entirely, and pikmen be an Olimer fan club, I was just making my suggestion here since posters seemed to value slightly authoritative active leaders.

Wordy again, I suppose I'm not good at getting my point across quickly, that or just too determined to explain my beliefs in spirit of good discussion, but thats my thoughts. If Pikmen remains an Olimer fan club I'd love to be a part, didn't mean to try and take away a fan club from those that want one, just making a suggestion I see as useful =)

-True

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Does everything need to have a specific point or purpose? We're just a bunch of guys who enjoy discussing how awesome Olimar is. The "club" is just a symbol of our fandom. It's the club memebers who matter, folks like Egruntz and Illdr who have brought leadership and intelligence to the Pikmin & Olimar section (which is good, since the mods seem to have abandoned the Brawl character forums).

I'd like to see this thread become the hub of Olimar discussion once Brawl is released. A place to discuss strategies and the like. As for what happens with the BC club... it doesn't really concern me.
Here here Wiseguy! Tell it preacher!!

:bigthumbu:coolmonke:coolmonke

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Wiseguy,
In no way did I mean to push a point or purpose onto the pikmen group or everything, promise, I realize I did come off a little strong and did not mean to. A fan club is a symbol of fandom, to steal your word, and a good symbol of it at that.

As for what happens once brawl is released, in my opinion thats what the whole character specific board should be about, not just this thread. Putting it all in one thread is very confusing, as often there are multiple conversations at once and is not the most accessible way for people to find information. Could you imagine the nightmare it would be to search through page after page because you forgot what page we started discussing a certain topic on? Also for the sake of new people just picking up olimer, or even the game, months after the release, seperate threads are easier to find/read rather than us pointing lost people towards certain page numbers in this thread.

No matter where olimer discussion goes down, as I certainly feel it should and will, organization is important and very helpful. My suggestion of a group based on ability/knowledge would be responsible for maintaining this organization, to create and in some ways be a reference for the Olimer community. It may be a surprise that not everyone on these boards exhibits responsibility and actual thought when posting. This group would serve as the olimer gurus, creditable acknowledged active posters who are accepted as the leaders of the community, are expected to know everything there is to know tactics/details wise, and have a sort of final word when it comes to playing Olimer well, not opinions like which color is best. They would be the people most capable of putting together the best olimer guide as far as playing competitively, able to judge which videos have the best playing in them, etc. Certainly the olimer board won't be all serious competative discussion, but for organizing references and ending silly debates that just turn into each side calling the other noobs, I think a group with these properties is also a good idea. This could very likely be a group completely separate from the pikmen, called something else entirely, and pikmen be an Olimer fan club, I was just making my suggestion here since posters seemed to value slightly authoritative active leaders.

Wordy again, I suppose I'm not good at getting my point across quickly, that or just too determined to explain my beliefs in spirit of good discussion, but thats my thoughts. If Pikmen remains an Olimer fan club I'd love to be a part, didn't mean to try and take away a fan club from those that want one, just making a suggestion I see as useful =)

-True
Understand, I'm not saying that this thread will be the only place to discuss Olimar tactics and whatnot. It would be best to have dozens of specific "rate my Olimar" threads and other specific topics, with this being a place for more general discussion.

As for a group of "Olimar gurus" separate from the fan club, I think there could be some merit to that idea. But I don't think we need to get ahead of ourselves this early on. We should wait to see how the community develops in the months ahead before we formalize anything.

There's no harm in throwing out ideas, though. And I don't mind wordy posters, as long as they are thoughtfully written like yours. If you're interesting joining the club feel free to PM Egruntz.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
"Olimar gurus"
Greatest pairing of words. EVER.

@True: I really think by the time the game is out all over the world, there will be a bazillion and two threads about "My Olimar is teh ****zorz! lololololol" I think this thread works as a great place to discuss Olimar (or spam by someone...... it's me I know.). I like our little fan club just like it is. And by this time the people who, for some reason, don't see the Olimar colored light will come here and there will be plenty of "Olimar's nose: Human flesh? Or delicious tomato."

Edit: I have decided my posts will now end with the coolest pokemon ever......
Charmeleon.

:005:

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Lol @ (or prolly more likely with) Colenstien, I am all for an epic spam/fun thread. I was just jumping on a chance to voice an idea =) I did pm Egruntz a couple weeks ago, when I first started my Oli obsession, but i'll send another, maybe be accepted this time =) Anyway enough of this though, wiseguy was right I'm way ahead of myself at the moment, just passing time till release date I spose =P

Back on topic, it is definitely a warped red rubber ball. It was a critical part of the ship, but Oli was so embarrassed when his own nose fell off due to allergies to pollen he decided having a fake nose was more important than a fully functioning ship.

-True

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Greatest pairing of words. EVER.

@True: I really think by the time the game is out all over the world, there will be a bazillion and two threads about "My Olimar is teh ****zorz! lololololol" I think this thread works as a great place to discuss Olimar (or spam by someone...... it's me I know.). I like our little fan club just like it is. And by this time the people who, for some reason, don't see the Olimar colored light will come here and there will be plenty of "Olimar's nose: Human flesh? Or delicious tomato."

Edit: I have decided my posts will now end with the coolest pokemon ever......
Charmeleon.

I should make that thread about Olimar's nose. it would be teh shiztors I know.

Charmeleon is awesome too, but he pales in comparison when matched against...he who is mightier than even Pokemon (Thats pretty dern mighty)..........

:dk:

Nothing can compete with this. Not even Olimar, who has even surpassed Captain Falcon's awesome level.

Bow down before DK!

Colenstien

Smash Ace

Charmeleon is awesome too, but he pales in comparison when matched against...he who is mightier than even Pokemon (Thats pretty dern mighty)..........

Nothing can compete with this. Not even Olimar, who has even surpassed Captain Falcon's awesome level.

Bow down before DK!
DK, or Charmeleon? Noone can say who is better...... but! Nothing can beat a
MONKEY PARADE!!!!!!

:coolmonke:056::057::monkey::079:(Slowpoke: Not a monkey, but to cool to pass up)

Florida

イーグランツ
Hi. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but my computer obtained a virus which was spread through MSN. Just a warning: if you have my messenger, take me off of your contact list. I've already abandoned that account, and created a new one. If you have me on your AIM contact list, you'd best be off to remove me from there as well, just to be safe. Right now I am using my mom's laptop.

Yesterday I went through the names listed on the front page, and made a lot of changes. Firstly, I've added a few more people to the "official" members list. Beyond that, you've probably noticed that the majority of gray names have been removed. All of those people were either hardly active, or not active at all. If your name was on that list, and you feel that I've made a mistake, please let me know via PM (messenger won't be available until I fix my computer).

Pikmen is fine just the way it is. Honestly, I don't care how the Brawl Central Pikmen end up. I've tried a lot to get in contact with their leader, but no luck. I'm not going to push myself any further than I have. Regarding the Pikmen over here at Smashboards, we'll most likely be staying just the way we are. The Ness and Kirby clans requested an alliance with us-- I accepted-- though I really do not see the point. We won't be going into "war" with other clans on WiFi, or anything of the like. We'll just stay as the bunch of hippies that obsess over Olimar.

Also, Brawl Central is way into clans. Though, there was this one clan created called R.E.D. which grabbed my interest. Basically it's a clan that acts like a bounty-hunting company, and your main objective is to brawl against people who have bounties posted on their heads. It's good fun, really.

@Tru: I don't recall getting a PM from you, and I haven't received your newest-sent either. I'll just go ahead and add you onto the list; you're active, and helpful enough.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371

Bow down before DK!
But there is still one man who can stand up to him. And that man is:

PIKMIN & OLIMAR!

defno

Smash Rookie
our leader is resigning or thinking bout it he hasnt been on in a while and hes too busy thats y he hasnt replied/is resigning from leadership

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
But there is still one man who can stand up to him. And that man is:

PIKMIN & OLIMAR!
Can even Olimar's awesome stand up to that of DK? Only time will tell.....

Anyway, Ive watched some of DSF's Olimar fights in the tournament Gimpy took part in, and it looks like edge guarding wont be too much of a problem for him.

Most of the times he was edgeguarded, he was able to toss a Pikmin at the foe, and somehow grab the dge.

Maybe it was just his skill, I dunno, but his teher may not be as hindering as we thought..

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Thanks egruntz, a random gathering of friends to go see a movie took me away from my comp before i sent a second, who knows about the first, thanks again though.

@gannondorf4ever i dunno, did you watch the winners finals against Gimpy's MK? The last match of it DSF is so frustrated by tether recovery he start/quits after being gimped to a 1 stock v 3 situation. The whole winners series of games i found very interesting, you can actually see gimpy learning how to take advantage of olimers recovery, and DSF not being able to adapt well enough to make it through. My thoughts on the whole situation are still that the games way too new, I honestly feel some considerable progress will be made with Oli's recovery. We just haven't found it yet.

-True

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You may have a point there True. Although I didnt watch the last match of the finals.

I did catch most of the winners matches, but I didnt see a problem. Maybe I watched the wrong video. Oh well, either way, youre right. The game is much too new to be able to tell at this point.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Hi. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but my computer obtained a virus which was spread through MSN. Just a warning: if you have my messenger, take me off of your contact list. I've already abandoned that account, and created a new one. If you have me on your AIM contact list, you'd best be off to remove me from there as well, just to be safe. Right now I am using my mom's laptop.

Yesterday I went through the names listed on the front page, and made a lot of changes. Firstly, I've added a few more people to the "official" members list. Beyond that, you've probably noticed that the majority of gray names have been removed. All of those people were either hardly active, or not active at all. If your name was on that list, and you feel that I've made a mistake, please let me know via PM (messenger won't be available until I fix my computer).

Pikmen is fine just the way it is. Honestly, I don't care how the Brawl Central Pikmen end up. I've tried a lot to get in contact with their leader, but no luck. I'm not going to push myself any further than I have. Regarding the Pikmen over here at Smashboards, we'll most likely be staying just the way we are. The Ness and Kirby clans requested an alliance with us-- I accepted-- though I really do not see the point. We won't be going into "war" with other clans on WiFi, or anything of the like. We'll just stay as the bunch of hippies that obsess over Olimar.

Also, Brawl Central is way into clans. Though, there was this one clan created called R.E.D. which grabbed my interest. Basically it's a clan that acts like a bounty-hunting company, and your main objective is to brawl against people who have bounties posted on their heads. It's good fun, really.

@Tru: I don't recall getting a PM from you, and I haven't received your newest-sent either. I'll just go ahead and add you onto the list; you're active, and helpful enough.
`
Hooray! Hippies we shall remain!

Also, good call on removing the inactive members.

Bow down before DK!
DK is indeed awesome. In the past, I've just played him for fun - but given how Olimar seems ill suited for free for all matches (he seems better suited for 1 vs 1s) I will use the big ape as my free-for-all character while strictly maining Olimar in 1 vs 1s.

Any other Olimar mains thinking along similar lines?

IllidR

Smash Champion

Good, I really don't see any reasons we should change the Pikmen from the greatness it already is. And the Brawl Central Pikmen we can just give up on, save ourselves a whole lot of trouble just forgetting them.

That R.E.D clan though does sound really interesting. Maybe we can become bounty hunters... no, we'll become BATMEN!

Colenstien

Smash Ace
DK is indeed awesome. In the past, I've just played him for fun - but given how Olimar seems ill suited for free for all matches (he seems better suited for 1 vs 1s) I will use the big ape as my free-for-all character while strictly maining Olimar in 1 vs 1s.

Any other Olimar mains thinking along similar lines?
I already main 'im, so I will probally switch off and on...... But Olimar FTW!

That R.E.D clan though does sound really interesting. Maybe we can become bounty hunters... no, we'll become BATMEN!
Batmen? No, no, no. What we should be is.............. SPIDERMENZ!!!1!!1!!!

But R.E.D does sound really cool. I need to get my Bobba helmet out of the craw space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom