• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Support [Pikmen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Think about it...for standard special, the control stick has to be in neutral position. So, putting Pikmin pluck as this is ideal, since you can't move anyway, as you said. But, you can hold down B and the control stick down and slightly to one direction, and he'll likely be able to move in that direction while still whistling. They way they have it set up makes a lot more sense and is a lot more useful.

Florida

イーグランツ
Think about it...for standard special, the control stick has to be in neutral position. So, putting Pikmin pluck as this is ideal, since you can't move anyway, as you said. But, you can hold down B and the control stick down and slightly to one direction, and he'll likely be able to move in that direction while still whistling. They way they have it set up makes a lot more sense and is a lot more useful.
No...I still disagree, though I reckon' they had it this way due to the whole Kirby issue. Moving on:

Holy crap! Look at how fast he's pulling 'em out!

I am very pleased :). Good night, all.

Dargarian

Smash Cadet
Epic update! Olimar is officially the deepest character in smash yet...

Only thing is...I wish Sakurai would have elaborated on this line a bit: "be aware that certain Pikmin are more likely to appear in specific types of flooring."

That'd be like in the last Screenshot of the update, there's lots of yellow and purples, it'd be like in Norfair, lots of reds, or in Delfino, lots of blue, think about the Pokemon Stadiums too, there's Ice, Electricity, Ground, Fire, Water and Jungle

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
No...I still disagree, though I reckon' they had it this way due to the whole Kirby issue.
What's do disagree about? You can't move when using your standard special, and you can move while performing a down special. Pluck is a move that doesn't require moving, whistle is one that might. There's nothing to discuss or agree/disagree on...

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I love the grapple. I was hoping that if the grapple failed, that the Pikmin would throw Olimar for the extra distance :laugh:
Also, the different properties are really going to evolve Olimar gameplay. Racking up damage and KOing will all be in preparing the right Pikmin at the right moment. He looks very fun to play and very difficult to reach the highest level with. Extreemly happy with the way they have presented the little guys :)

IllidR

Smash Champion
Oh God, this was an amazing update. We got alternate costumes, confirmations of how the Pikmin will be used and their stats, and Olimar's moves, which were almost exactly what I wanted them to be! Olimar for the greater good!

IllidR

Smash Champion
Yeah Illi, Olimar is going to be great.
I'm going to see if he's starting roster and jump right into practice to see what I can do on February 10th.

Then try to master Diddy!
If he's starting roster that'd be great, I'd be able to start with him right from the beginning and keep with him like I plan to. No trouble of unlocking him, and I'll have an advantage of playing more with my character then my friends who will have had to unlock their mains! Mwuahahahaa!

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
Us members of the Pikmen ought to share friend codes when brawl comes out. A 4 Olimar match would be insane, but sadly none of my friends share the love for Pikmin that I do so I doubt they'd be up to it (or any good with Olimar since they probably won't use him)

Vali

Smash Ace
Is it time to call in the lawsuit for Sakurai stealing my moveset or what? :grin:

Appreciate the mention on the first post too ^^. Really happy for all us Pikmin fans that he's in and faith in a non-botched moveset seems to have paid off.

Also cheers Wiseguy for remembering me ;D Sorry haven't really visited in a while.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
Wow, his moveset is INCREDIBLY close to the series!

I think its perfect... so many oppertunities for mindgames :D

Plus, he pulls them out REALLY fast and can order them. Its just perfect.

Anyone who thinks he is low tier must have some kind of illness or something... just look at him!

Oh, and BTW, when I was on the dojo, one of my friends pointed out that there isnt much thats unique about the blue, and that the blues are also the least true to the series. I thought about this, and I think he's wrong. If you think about what he CAN do (strong when thrown; more durable than average), you will see that he will not be knocked back as far as most pikmin, maybe not at all on some occasions. It also seems like he could be used as an initial atack to get through to your opponent to attack them and get the rest in, OR as a final resort, as due to their durabilty, you will have time to pluck more pikmin and get orginised!

I love P&O. Absolutely legendary. Ive said it before (yesturday and wednesday XP), but I'll say it again... he is exactly what I wanted in Brawl... I dont think I nned anything else now... (except MAYBE Sukapon XD).

ONE LAST THING! Is anyone making a new Pikmen sig using the new images? Ive started on my own, but im not uber-fantastic (im just "relatively good"), so I was wondering if any PROPER god sig-makers have made one/started one...

Drake3

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was definitely about to say how extremely similar the invented moveset was to the real one. Very nice job.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
yeah, i kinda figured this would be his moveset. because of the tether recovery update, i assumed this is what olimar would do with his moveset.

although i would of switched Pluck to VB and the whistle to B, but i guess Sakurai thinks differently. maybe it's for the better

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Yhea I thought he might use his Pikmin like that (As a joke because it would look so funny) after Olimar was updated, but bleg, I will only give my FC to egruntz, cold and Gr- Sinister Lizard...

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Another time I'm actually glad Sakurai is planning the game instead of any of us. Not only did he make him just like he should (unlike all of those noobs out there who either didn't want him or gave him a bogus moveset), but he also out-thought us as to what would fit better in gameplay as far as which button combo did what. Cheers, Sakurai.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
But I really wanted Sakurai to go more in-depth on what happens when a Pikmin is on another payer. How do they get him off? How much damage do they do? How long do they stay on? Do they add aditional weight? Do they cause flinching at all? And such...

Stryks

Smash Hero
I dont know if this was mentioned but, when kirby swallos olimar, he gets his B move which is pluc... what good will that do if he cant throw them or anything...

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Great Update! The moveset is exactly what I thought it would be, even the upb.

Also I have been thinking, and I'm pretty sure that olimar will be a great edgeguarder. Think of this, you have a pikmin line of yellow, yellow, red, purple, yellow, white. he dodges the first yellow and gets hit by the second. then he dodges the red one and gets hit by the purple, which knocks him back more. then you throw the yellow one at him if he still has a chance of making it. if he dodges THAT then throw the white one. If he somehow dosn't die then you will have done massive damage. Also I have been wondering what will happen if you hit someone with olimars upb. I think it should make them fall down in front of you, stuning them and your pikmin for a second. Plus I wonder if the purple pikmin can be used as a spike/ meteor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom