• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Olimar Q&A thread.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
You should be using F-Smash a lot of the time to be honest! It's one of the safest smashes in the game. As an out of Shield option, smashes are generally a bad choice unless you know they'll have a LOT of lag after their hit.

Drippy

Smash Ace
You should be using F-Smash a lot of the time to be honest! It's one of the safest smashes in the game. As an out of Shield option, smashes are generally a bad choice unless you know they'll have a LOT of lag after their hit.
Yeah after practicing some with Olimar, I noticed that I started to use it more because I realized how useful it was but I still **** up a lot. I got into this bad habit where I like to charge it up fully even though there a billion feet away from me and than there are times when I forget the range and I'm just barely off with that smash. I've been able to successfully use it as a edgeguard (I think that's a correct term) and for people who dash into me like careless silly goose.

RtMbot

Smash Rookie
NNID
RtMbot
Hello, fellow carrot lovers. I just picked up Olimar a few days ago, and I have been really enjoying my time with him. I messed around with him a bit a while ago, but everybody told me that he was bottom tier, so I didn't really take him seriously and I didn't play him. However, I decided to give him another shot because I always thought that he was fun to play, and I don't feel like I should just give up on such an enjoyable character like that (I mean, I already main DK). Honestly, the more I play him, the more I get the impression that people are sleeping on him, though I can't quite confirm that.

I've been having fairly good results with him practicing in the vacuum that is For Glory, but I'm not entirely sure if that's me playing properly, or people's lack of knowledge of what he does, what to look out for, and how to counter him. I haven't actually been able to fight anybody that I know is good, so I haven't really been able to test myself or the character properly. I just believe that the environment I'm in could potentially be giving me false ideas of what actually works and what doesn't, meaning tactics that I've won with against most FG players aren't tactics actual Olimar players would use against good players. The lack of good Olimar videos also makes it hard to tell. Anyways, as for the questions I have...

1. First off, exactly what playstyle should I adopt with Olimar, and what are the playstyles that he struggles against most (guess that also means what are some of his worst matchups)? I'd like to say I use side-B and camp like I'm supposed, but I find myself going in and just fighting a lot.

2. How much adaptability does Olimar have? As in, how often does he get put in situations where he has no real tools or options to work with? What are those situations? Aside from having no Pikmin at hand, of course.

3. Some of the smarter players on For Glory I've met tended to stay at a range where I couldn't safely use my side-B (unless I had a purple), and where I couldn't just go up and attack them without them being able to react. Typically I actually like to fight up close with Olimar because I feel like his moves can string together pretty well and he can tack on damage, but some characters just create situations where I can't approach them without taking risks, yet I can't run and camp either (Yoshi/Link would be a good example). What should I be going for in situations like that? Should I try to knock them away with purple, keep going for a grab or a jab, or just go up close and personal and brawl with them?

4. I know that red pikmin are immune to fire, but are they immune to explosions? Occasionally I've had pikmin collide with Link's bombs, but I'm not sure if they actually get damaged by them or not.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Maybe I should not be asking this (because I'm ashamed), but I'm really worry about my lack of awareness of the Pikmin in line.
I've been punished thousands of times for failing a grab using a Purple, doing a Fsmash with a White or because I failed throwing a Yellow, thinking I'm throwing a Red/Blue one.
Millions of times they grab release because I need to think/see which Pikmin is in use and it's already too late.
I really, really have serious problems with this. When I focus on the Pikmin in line, I do a lot of mistakes and my game tends to be very silly and predictable. I use to run anywhere to see clearly the Line and I became to have the slowest reaction, they run-attack me, etc. It's awful and makes me see like a stupid.

How do you do it? Do you keep in mind the line? Do you see it before attacking and decide it in how much time? Do you memorize the line?
Can you give me some advice about this?

I would really need a good advice, not the kind of "you should see the line" or something obviously. You know, there is always a little good advice that tends to save lives :).

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Hello, fellow carrot lovers. I just picked up Olimar a few days ago, and I have been really enjoying my time with him. I messed around with him a bit a while ago, but everybody told me that he was bottom tier, so I didn't really take him seriously and I didn't play him. However, I decided to give him another shot because I always thought that he was fun to play, and I don't feel like I should just give up on such an enjoyable character like that (I mean, I already main DK). Honestly, the more I play him, the more I get the impression that people are sleeping on him, though I can't quite confirm that.

I've been having fairly good results with him practicing in the vacuum that is For Glory, but I'm not entirely sure if that's me playing properly, or people's lack of knowledge of what he does, what to look out for, and how to counter him. I haven't actually been able to fight anybody that I know is good, so I haven't really been able to test myself or the character properly. I just believe that the environment I'm in could potentially be giving me false ideas of what actually works and what doesn't, meaning tactics that I've won with against most FG players aren't tactics actual Olimar players would use against good players. The lack of good Olimar videos also makes it hard to tell. Anyways, as for the questions I have...

1. First off, exactly what playstyle should I adopt with Olimar, and what are the playstyles that he struggles against most (guess that also means what are some of his worst matchups)? I'd like to say I use side-B and camp like I'm supposed, but I find myself going in and just fighting a lot.

2. How much adaptability does Olimar have? As in, how often does he get put in situations where he has no real tools or options to work with? What are those situations? Aside from having no Pikmin at hand, of course.

3. Some of the smarter players on For Glory I've met tended to stay at a range where I couldn't safely use my side-B (unless I had a purple), and where I couldn't just go up and attack them without them being able to react. Typically I actually like to fight up close with Olimar because I feel like his moves can string together pretty well and he can tack on damage, but some characters just create situations where I can't approach them without taking risks, yet I can't run and camp either (Yoshi/Link would be a good example). What should I be going for in situations like that? Should I try to knock them away with purple, keep going for a grab or a jab, or just go up close and personal and brawl with them?

4. I know that red pikmin are immune to fire, but are they immune to explosions? Occasionally I've had pikmin collide with Link's bombs, but I'm not sure if they actually get damaged by them or not.
1. You shouldn't have one playstyle, you should be able to adapt to certain mu's, but with that said you need to control the ground and punish all landings and force them to approach.

2. There will be times when you really have to rely on getting a good airdodge or down b. Which is pretty much whenever you're up in the air. You should be fighting to get back on the ground asap. Whether through b-reversal mix-ups or airdodges or down-b's. it is usually pretty risky to try and go for an aerial that beats your opponents aerial while falling down. Almost everyone's up air beats all of our aerials, we have really bad priority in the air.

3. I have the same issues as you do. You just have to either outcamp them in the long run, or figure out a way to get in. It varies depending on the person you're playing really. You just have to be smart as an olimar player.

4. I'm not sure, but I think that red's aren't affected by explosions.

Maybe I should not be asking this (because I'm ashamed), but I'm really worry about my lack of awareness of the Pikmin in line.
I've been punished thousands of times for failing a grab using a Purple, doing a Fsmash with a White or because I failed throwing a Yellow, thinking I'm throwing a Red/Blue one.
Millions of times they grab release because I need to think/see which Pikmin is in use and it's already too late.
I really, really have serious problems with this. When I focus on the Pikmin in line, I do a lot of mistakes and my game tends to be very silly and predictable. I use to run anywhere to see clearly the Line and I became to have the slowest reaction, they run-attack me, etc. It's awful and makes me see like a stupid.

How do you do it? Do you keep in mind the line? Do you see it before attacking and decide it in how much time? Do you memorize the line?
Can you give me some advice about this?

I would really need a good advice, not the kind of "you should see the line" or something obviously. You know, there is always a little good advice that tends to save lives :).

Knowing your line will just be something that happens in time. You should always know which pikmin is next. Knowing the order you picked them and which pikmin you used last helps. There's really no "trick" to it you just need to practice and pay attention. It's one of the most vital parts of playing as olimar.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I just believe that the environment I'm in could potentially be giving me false ideas of what actually works and what doesn't, meaning tactics that I've won with against most FG players aren't tactics actual Olimar players would use against good players. The lack of good Olimar videos also makes it hard to tell.
If you need videos on how Olimar would work in a competitive setting, CLASH Tournaments recorded two videos on their Twitch channel a few days ago that display that.
http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/v/3657713 (Collision XI: 10:51:25 vs. Diddy)
http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/v/3661093 (Online Invitational Qualifiers: 31:45 - 37:43 vs. Shulk, 39:35 - 47:50 and 01:01:25 - 01:07:05 vs. ZSS, 01:11:10 - 01:19:03 vs. Meta Knight, 01:33:00 - 01:44:10 vs. WFT/Luigi/Lucario, 01:48:00 - 01:53:41 vs. Falcon, 01:55:33 - 02:02:02 Oli dittos)

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Knowing your line will just be something that happens in time. You should always know which pikmin is next. Knowing the order you picked them and which pikmin you used last helps. There's really no "trick" to it you just need to practice and pay attention. It's one of the most vital parts of playing as olimar.
Yesterday was a huge day for me, I was defeated a couple times and mostly had victories in all my matches in around 2 to 3 hours online.
It happened to me that I drop off thinking about a "secret tip" and started to do hard efforts on keep track on the line, it worked A LOT. At first I was very silly because I lost the track of my enemy, but then everything got better and was very fluid.
I found myself choosing and making my decision by the next pikmin and paying attention to the line when I was rolling or running, this moments helped me to clear my mind too. It was a TREMENDOUS advance as I could see, first time that I could get a KO by using a Blue Grab. Though I know that I need to keep improving this because sometimes I keep failing a grab with purple.

Now I think that I need to pummel correctly (I always lose the grab because of 1 more) and using the Tilt a lot more, I never use those besides of the Dtilt.

Thanks for make things clear to me =D, it really helped me a lot. And it helped me a lot too by changing the Smashes from the Right Circle to attack.

Now I have more questions :p.
1) Should I try to do Bair when I'm approaching or EdgeGuarding because of the biggest damage?
2) Where can I post my videos for you people can advice me about it? You may say "Thread Videos" but, they aren't just tournament and pro players's videos?

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Yesterday was a huge day for me, I was defeated a couple times and mostly had victories in all my matches in around 2 to 3 hours online.
It happened to me that I drop off thinking about a "secret tip" and started to do hard efforts on keep track on the line, it worked A LOT. At first I was very silly because I lost the track of my enemy, but then everything got better and was very fluid.
I found myself choosing and making my decision by the next pikmin and paying attention to the line when I was rolling or running, this moments helped me to clear my mind too. It was a TREMENDOUS advance as I could see, first time that I could get a KO by using a Blue Grab. Though I know that I need to keep improving this because sometimes I keep failing a grab with purple.

Now I think that I need to pummel correctly (I always lose the grab because of 1 more) and using the Tilt a lot more, I never use those besides of the Dtilt.

Thanks for make things clear to me =D, it really helped me a lot. And it helped me a lot too by changing the Smashes from the Right Circle to attack.

Now I have more questions :p.
1) Should I try to do Bair when I'm approaching or EdgeGuarding because of the biggest damage?
2) Where can I post my videos for you people can advice me about it? You may say "Thread Videos" but, they aren't just tournament and pro players's videos?

1) You shouldn't really ever try to approach with Bair. That's very hard to pull off and pretty easy to punish on shield. Using it for edgeguarding isn't a bad choice, but it may be easier to land a Fair. It really depends on what Match Up you're playing.

2) Go ahead and post it in the Video thread! It's for everyone to get feedback. Or even in the competitive discussion thread if you'd rather.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Is there some easy way to do it? I have been saving the match to upload but I don't know an easy way.
If there isn't, I will do it with my cellphone and then upload that.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Is there some easy way to do it? I have been saving the match to upload but I don't know an easy way.
If there isn't, I will do it with my cellphone and then upload that.
You can do it on your cellphone if you need to. That's what I did when I posted some of my 3DS videos in the thread.

crazyninjagod

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5215-0713-5279
hello im brand new to olimar because i never played him in brawl because i just played wario and game and watch but i have a few questions
1. How do i approach using olimar? i can't seem to find any good approaches for him
2. How would you deal with fast characters the senic and sheik?
3. how do you go up against people like samus who rolls around and charges to kill you
thanks whoever replies :D

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
hello im brand new to olimar because i never played him in brawl because i just played wario and game and watch but i have a few questions
1. How do i approach using olimar? i can't seem to find any good approaches for him
2. How would you deal with fast characters the senic and sheik?
3. how do you go up against people like samus who rolls around and charges to kill you
thanks whoever replies :D
1) You don't. You zone people out, pressuring them with Side B, FSmash and spaced aerials until they make a mistake and then you go for the grab.

2) Be patient and read their approaches. Make sure they don't close the gap against you. Mid range is the best range. Sheik is more of an issue than Sonic in my opinion as Sheik has the needles to also fight you at mid/long range. Sonic doesn't have a projectile so he'll always be forced to try to close the gap against you. Also against Sonic, timed FSmashes are amazing as they beat his spindashes.

3) If the Samus is rolling a lot just read it and punish them. Samus' roll is still awful due to how slow and telegraphed it is and charge shot trades with Pikmin Side B and Smashes regardless of charge (it's beaten entirely by Yellows due to their immunity to electricity). Olimar can zone much better than Samus can, and Samus is kinda rubbish in neutral as well.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
1) You don't. You zone people out, pressuring them with Side B, FSmash and spaced aerials until they make a mistake and then you go for the grab.

2) Be patient and read their approaches. Make sure they don't close the gap against you. Mid range is the best range. Sheik is more of an issue than Sonic in my opinion as Sheik has the needles to also fight you at mid/long range. Sonic doesn't have a projectile so he'll always be forced to try to close the gap against you. Also against Sonic, timed FSmashes are amazing as they beat his spindashes.

3) If the Samus is rolling a lot just read it and punish them. Samus' roll is still awful due to how slow and telegraphed it is and charge shot trades with Pikmin Side B and Smashes regardless of charge (it's beaten entirely by Yellows due to their immunity to electricity). Olimar can zone much better than Samus can, and Samus is kinda rubbish in neutral as well.
That being said, I did take a lot of your advice's. Now that I have learned a lot from the forum, I don't find myself useless against a Sonic =D.
But I have to ask, did I fought against you yesterday?

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
How do you guys normally start matches?

I really enjoy how each Pikmin can be pretty potent in most situations, but I find myself whistling twice and throwing my first yellow away immediately because I prefer white Pikmin toss.

I basically play a PM Olimar for those who are wondering, so I'm very aggro with tosses into grab pressure. xD

Just wondering if anyone else has cool tips for the best ways to start off with Oli!

Also, hey everyone! Shulk/DK main here, nice to meet ya's! Me likely the online practice. :)

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
That being said, I did take a lot of your advice's. Now that I have learned a lot from the forum, I don't find myself useless against a Sonic =D.
But I have to ask, did I fought against you yesterday?
I believe we did XD Those were some good matches barring my stupid SDs as Shulk lol. Your Olimar is very solid.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I believe we did XD Those were some good matches barring my stupid SDs as Shulk lol. Your Olimar is very solid.
You have a very strong Shulk too. My typical strategy was destroyed by you, have talent on reading the next move. I had a very good time playing with you but I don't know why I have the feeling that we have played before with only victories for you.
Can you give me some advices about what you saw? I need to keep improving and you could help me a lot :D!

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
My favorite move with Oli is his dash attack. (The cartwheel). If your juggling combo ends and your opponent his the ground, a cartwheel move will throw him back into the air. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Yeah but then he just chomps them away with his pellet attack or the other one. They always die instantly. It's like sonics spin dash.
You can grab him in the middle of his attack. It's not expected! This also works agains Super Armor, shields, counters, and other moves that involve the entire body in motion,

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
You have a very strong Shulk too. My typical strategy was destroyed by you, have talent on reading the next move. I had a very good time playing with you but I don't know why I have the feeling that we have played before with only victories for you.
Can you give me some advices about what you saw? I need to keep improving and you could help me a lot :D!
Honestly your Olimar is super solid. I'd say the one of the main things would be to maybe try to make more use of DTilt to close the gap. Shulk actually has some similar weaknesses to Olimar. He doesn't do well when he's put into the air and he lacks anti-pressure options when people are pressuring his shield. If you can edge your way in and close the gap Shulk will struggle, though it can be difficult as a good Shulk will try to use his aerials to cover various angles of approach. Another thing would be to be a little more careful when you're on the ledge. Don't always get up immediately. Sometimes it's good to wait a bit to throw off your opponent's read timing. Though honestly apart from that your Olimar is very good.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Honestly your Olimar is super solid. I'd say the one of the main things would be to maybe try to make more use of DTilt to close the gap. Shulk actually has some similar weaknesses to Olimar. He doesn't do well when he's put into the air and he lacks anti-pressure options when people are pressuring his shield. If you can edge your way in and close the gap Shulk will struggle, though it can be difficult as a good Shulk will try to use his aerials to cover various angles of approach. Another thing would be to be a little more careful when you're on the ledge. Don't always get up immediately. Sometimes it's good to wait a bit to throw off your opponent's read timing. Though honestly apart from that your Olimar is very good.
Thanks a lot for your advices, I really appreciate it ^^. I hope we can fight again soon, I had a great time playing with you.

In order to continue the reason of this thread, I will do a question.
I have been noticing that I can't tech against the floor/wall very well. I do it well against Ganondorf, lets say 3 of 5 times I am successful.
Is there a way of improve this weakness? and so, it is advisable to tech & roll when you are falling from an air combo?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Okay so I checked the Oli guide and this entire thread and I haven't seen this mentioned at all but was anyone aware that Oli's smashes can be reflected? I found out during a Reflect battle (either at the end of Smash Run on 3DS or during Smash Tour on Wii U, I honestly forget) and when I tried to smash the ai the Pikmin got reflected and the ai weren't harmed at all. I specifically remember cuz I lost that match due to that since I don't use Oli and I didn't know what to do without his smashes. I feel like it was on the 3DS version since I had to go through Smash Run all over again with Oli because of the loss (was working towards the challenge where you beat Smash Run with all characters).

Assuming this works for more than just the Franklin Badge, any character with a reflector could potentially reflect a smash back at Oli. :4darkpit::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4mario::4megaman::4miigun::4miisword::4ness::4palutena::4pit::4rob::4zelda: I'm pretty sure those are all of the characters who can have reflectors (some require specific customs) and that's not even considering the characters who can counter or simply kill the Pikmin (which is probably everyone. I doubt there's a character with no move powerful enough to kill a Pikmin during a smash.)

I'm also curious if Rosa's Gravitational Pull and Villager's Pocket have any effect on Pikmin, either thrown by side b or used in a smash. I'd also imagine Link and Tink could simply shield (Link would have to crouch) the Pikmin.

I'm gonna test all of this with my cousin this weekend just to be sure I'm not going insane.

On a completely separate note, does anyone know what moves blue Pikmin are immune to? Greninja has quite a few moves that use water (jab, all smashes, shuriken, hydro pump, fair and nair), Mario has his 3 FLUDD variations (Scalding might be treated as fire if anything) and Pac-Man has his fire hydrant's water.

tl;dr Pikmin can be reflected? Rosa's Gravitational Pull and Villager's Pocket have any effect on Pikmin? Moves blue Pikmin are immune to?

RtMbot

Smash Rookie
NNID
RtMbot
Okay so I checked the Oli guide and this entire thread and I haven't seen this mentioned at all but was anyone aware that Oli's smashes can be reflected? I found out during a Reflect battle (either at the end of Smash Run on 3DS or during Smash Tour on Wii U, I honestly forget) and when I tried to smash the ai the Pikmin got reflected and the ai weren't harmed at all. I specifically remember cuz I lost that match due to that since I don't use Oli and I didn't know what to do without his smashes. I feel like it was on the 3DS version since I had to go through Smash Run all over again with Oli because of the loss (was working towards the challenge where you beat Smash Run with all characters).

Assuming this works for more than just the Franklin Badge, any character with a reflector could potentially reflect a smash back at Oli. :4darkpit::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4mario::4megaman::4miigun::4miisword::4ness::4palutena::4pit::4rob::4zelda: I'm pretty sure those are all of the characters who can have reflectors (some require specific customs) and that's not even considering the characters who can counter or simply kill the Pikmin (which is probably everyone. I doubt there's a character with no move powerful enough to kill a Pikmin during a smash.)

I'm also curious if Rosa's Gravitational Pull and Villager's Pocket have any effect on Pikmin, either thrown by side b or used in a smash. I'd also imagine Link and Tink could simply shield (Link would have to crouch) the Pikmin.

I'm gonna test all of this with my cousin this weekend just to be sure I'm not going insane.

On a completely separate note, does anyone know what moves blue Pikmin are immune to? Greninja has quite a few moves that use water (jab, all smashes, shuriken, hydro pump, fair and nair), Mario has his 3 FLUDD variations (Scalding might be treated as fire if anything) and Pac-Man has his fire hydrant's water.

tl;dr Pikmin can be reflected? Rosa's Gravitational Pull and Villager's Pocket have any effect on Pikmin? Moves blue Pikmin are immune to?
Unfortunately, yes, Pikmin are treated as projectiles, and as such they can be reflected back at you. I know because I've been killed several times by reflectors. Fortunately, most characters can't spam their reflects all that easily without opening themselves up to punish opportunities, so it's pretty much a mix-up game. Still, it can be pretty brutal when it happens, so make sure not to be too predictable with your smash attacks. Reflected side-B's aren't that big of an issue.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Do you have to tap B or hold it to rise with Winged Pikmin? I keep accidentally doing
a ledge attack when grabbing because of tapping...

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Do you have to tap B or hold it to rise with Winged Pikmin? I keep accidentally doing
a ledge attack when grabbing because of tapping...
Just hold the control stick in the direction you want to fly in. Tapping or holding B is unnecessary.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
So when I fall even when pressing up, it's because I'm holding too many purples?
Even if Olimar has 3 purples on him, he should still be able to move up very slowly.

If you get into special fall very quickly after the Pikmin appear, it may be because the winged Pikmin are still tired from using Up B before. Their stamina will regenerate the longer you don't use Up B again.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Even if Olimar has 3 purples on him, he should still be able to move up very slowly.

If you get into special fall very quickly after the Pikmin appear, it may be because the winged Pikmin are still tired from using Up B before. Their stamina will regenerate the longer you don't use Up B again.
Haha I had no idea this was a thing? thanks

LinedPlayer

Smash Rookie
Hi, this is my first post and I was wondering how people decide which Pikmin to use with Olimar. I know that blues are good for grabbing, white's for throwing, purples have a short range but are powerful, yellows have high knockback smashes with good range, and reds are best for ariels. However, whenever I play Olimar I just throw random Pikmin and sometimes throwing the wrong ones punish me greatly (such as not reaching a f-smash with a purple pikmin). Is there anyway to decide which pikmin I throw? Is it completely random? Or is there some sort of set order?

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Is there anyway to decide which pikmin I throw?
The decision is up to you. You showed you know what Pikmin is better for, it would depend on the situation and what you want to acomplish.
Is it completely random?
No, is not random. They have a mark over their head which tell you which one you will use and you can see the line of Pikmins.
Or is there some sort of set order?
The default order is Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Purple.
You can arrange them in default order with the first whistle (Down B) and for the next ones they changes as a queue, with the first Pikmin going last place.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
How's Olimar's combo game? The only one I've found is dthrow to double fair at certain %s among others that look like like they can be DI'd to avoid since I've only practiced combos on training cpu's (My friend never likes testing with characters that aren't his mains.)

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
alright so i have so much trouble against olimar, that im considering just picking up someone for the soul purpose of countering him. what are olimars worst MU's?

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
How's Olimar's combo game? The only one I've found is dthrow to double fair at certain %s among others that look like like they can be DI'd to avoid since I've only practiced combos on training cpu's (My friend never likes testing with characters that aren't his mains.)
Dthrow to Fair or Uair depending on DI at low percents, or at mid-low percents with red dthrow. Dthrow can also lead into Usmash at low percents if you quickly dash and input Usmash. Jab combo can lead into dthrow combos at low percents.
Dtilt can string into itself or utilt depending on percent, character, or DI. Falling nair w/o the final hit can combo into utilt. Utilt can combo into uair at low percents. Nair can string into Usmash but can be shielded if opponent is on the ground, so it's unsafe most of the time.

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Dthrow to Fair or Uair depending on DI at low percents, or at mid-low percents with red dthrow. Dthrow can also lead into Usmash at low percents if you quickly dash and input Usmash. Jab combo can lead into dthrow combos at low percents.
Dtilt can string into itself or utilt depending on percent, character, or DI. Falling nair w/o the final hit can combo into utilt. Utilt can combo into uair at low percents. Nair can string into Usmash but can be shielded if opponent is on the ground, so it's unsafe most of the time.
Thanks for your help.

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
Is there any way to use d-air effectively (besides edge-guarding)? Is it practical to short hop into it just for the sake of mixing it up?

Since I asked a Q, I'll give a tip in return:

Grab, pummel until it's released, then WHAM them with that ftilt!

You can also do dtilt, fsmash or anything else your heart desires.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Is there any way to use d-air effectively (besides edge-guarding)? Is it practical to short hop into it just for the sake of mixing it up?

Since I asked a Q, I'll give a tip in return:

Grab, pummel until it's released, then WHAM them with that ftilt!

You can also do dtilt, fsmash or anything else your heart desires.
I have seen that it works well countering some Uair of other characters, but it's a very risky move. If you don't execute it properly and carefuly, you won't be able to escape the punishment after that.
The BEST time I have found to use Dair are against:
  • Sonic: when is rolling-faster (I don't know the real name) towards to you, but you have to be very focused to do it.
  • Villager: The most secure and hurting punishment is against Villager. When is mounting the rocket at ground level or near. It never fail and hits very hard (even though you can do a Fair or Bair instead).
  • Ness: If you are brave, you can do it when is running to grab you. Ness has a lot of ending lag so you may use it there but I wouldn't recommend that.
  • Yoshi and Fox: It's some way very difficult to accomplish, but has saved my life against his Uair a couple of times. Even though I highly recommend to dodge instead of Dair.

About the tip, you missed the part saying that it only works on low % ^^.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
His D-air is a meteor smash, of course it effective, im a solid olimar main (placing top 50 at apex 2015) , its definitely super effective away from the edge (baiting characters in) I use it alot, feel free to ask me anything also, I've been maining the Capt since 08 so I'm a huge book of knowledge on him

Top Bottom