• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Olimar Q&A thread.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
How do you land with Olimar? I've been zero to deathbed quite a few times just because if being unable to return to the stage.

Also, how is the Luigi matchup? I seem to struggle against Mario characters in general.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
How do you land with Olimar? I've been zero to deathbed quite a few times just because if being unable to return to the stage.

Also, how is the Luigi matchup? I seem to struggle against Mario characters in general.
Try using winged pikmin to bait an attack. You can then counterattack swiftly. Or just go to the ledge.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

If down throw down b wasn't a thing, I think we win the Luigi match up. But because it is its probably 60/40 or 55/45 mu

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Thanks for the help! One more thing, what's the best option when you have no Pikmin? I usually try to knock them away with a jab so I can get at least one but I'm not sure if that's optimal, especially considering Solimar's lack of range.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Thanks for the help! One more thing, what's the best option when you have no Pikmin? I usually try to knock them away with a jab so I can get at least one but I'm not sure if that's optimal, especially considering Solimar's lack of range.
Pluck one, the Pikmin comes out on frame one, and you can cancel the animation. Dtilt/Utilt can be good alternatives though.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Pluck one, the Pikmin comes out on frame one, and you can cancel the animation. Dtilt/Utilt can be good alternatives though.
Just to clarify, cancel the full animation by performing a Fsmash as soon as possible when the pikmin it's plucked

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
As long as you pluck a Pikmin you can cancel the animation so you can have 0, 1, or 2 before you do the pluck.
No kidding?! Damn I feel so noob and stupid right now, I only cancel the animation when I have 0 pikmin in line, didn't knew this was working every time T________T

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
I want to pick up Olimar. But hes such a hard character to play. Any tips on how I can use him?

Blasterman4

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0061-1501-7948
So, thinking about things in my half asleep state i've decided that i want to actually learn olimar since he and kirby were my go to characters in brawl back when i was a filthy casual...

And in the middle of that thinking i started wondering what Pikmin were immune to what attacks throughout the entire cast, is there any sort of data dump on this?

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
So, thinking about things in my half asleep state i've decided that i want to actually learn olimar since he and kirby were my go to characters in brawl back when i was a filthy casual...

And in the middle of that thinking i started wondering what Pikmin were immune to what attacks throughout the entire cast, is there any sort of data dump on this?
Hi. Your source for where most things are on olimar boards http://smashboards.com/threads/quicklinks-knowledge-is-important.393805/ credits to koken for putting this together.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I want to pick up Olimar. But hes such a hard character to play. Any tips on how I can use him?
I made a list of what I think I should be doing with Olimar. A few things may not be accurate, but I think it covers the basics well enough.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
What's the most optimal Pikmin lineup?
It depends on what you're planning to do. If you're aiming to fish for KOs, you want either 2 purples and a blue or a red, blue, and a purple. You either have powerful smashes, 2 fast projectiles for stage control, and the KO throw, or you give up a purple for slightly less powerful smashes with better range.
In general, you want to keep a purple in line often to have an actual projectile handy with side B. If you looking to build up damage quickly, keep a white and red when your opponent is at low to mid percentages for damage pressure with side B and reliable Dthrow strings, respectively. Yellows could be useful for followup aerials from Dthrow at higher percentages and maybe Dair spikes because of the larger hitbox, but I feel it has the least benefits compared to other colors.

Last edited:

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
It depends on what you're planning to do. If you're aiming to fish for KOs, you want either 2 purples and a blue or a red, blue, and a purple. You either have powerful smashes, 2 fast projectiles for stage control, and the KO throw, or you give up a purple for slightly less powerful smashes with better range.
In general, you want to keep a purple in line often to have an actual projectile handy with side B. If you looking to build up damage quickly, keep a white and red when your opponent is at low to mid percentages for damage pressure with side B and reliable Dthrow strings, respectively. Yellows could be useful for followup aerials from Dthrow at higher percentages and maybe Dair spikes because of the larger hitbox, but I feel it has the least benefits compared to other colors.
Yellows have larger hit boxes for aerials and have a better window of opportunity hitting people before they auto connect to the ledge aslo for onstage edgeguarding. And they have a throw arc that makes it a little bit easier for them to land on people, which situationally could be good so when characters with good frame data hurtbox gets extended by killing the pikmin punish present themselves. (yes this can happen with all pikmin its just yellows are easiest to throw)

Last edited:

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
How do you guys feel about neutral B reversal? It seems to be a decent way to get back safely onto the ground when someone is going for a hard read. I also try to fake people out with it, then proceeding to land an attack. For example, short hopping towards an opponent recovering to the stage only to b reversal quickly back to the ground and hit them with a F-Smash.

Also, does anyone bother using side b reversal to gain more distance on a pikmin throw?

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
How do you guys feel about neutral B reversal? It seems to be a decent way to get back safely onto the ground when someone is going for a hard read. I also try to fake people out with it, then proceeding to land an attack. For example, short hopping towards an opponent recovering to the stage only to b reversal quickly back to the ground and hit them with a F-Smash.

Also, does anyone bother using side b reversal to gain more distance on a pikmin throw?
is it possible to upload a video doing that? I have heard about B reversal but never have saw it. Now I'm curious :).

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55

Don't think you can b reverse side B, however neutral b reversals and its implementation as well as using up b to bait moves and then punish is absolutely essential for when olimar is trying to recover back on stage.

D

Deleted member

Don't think you can b reverse side B, however neutral b reversals and its implementation as well as using up b to bait moves and then punish is absolutely essential for when olimar is trying to recover back on stage.
Can totally b-reverse side b. You can act out of it faster than aerial neutral b as well, so it could be used as a safer alternative if you have no pikmin or want to chuck some away. This also means side b-reverses are more spam-able which makes for faster aerial double-backs. Of course aerial neutral b's animation can be canceled into anything as soon as you land so it would be safer if you are close to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Can totally b-reverse side b. You can act out of it faster than aerial neutral b as well, so it could be used as a safer alternative if you have no pikmin or want to chuck some away. This also means side b-reverses are more spam-able which makes for faster aerial double-backs. Of course aerial neutral b's animation can be canceled into anything as soon as you land so it would be safer if you are close to the ground.
From experience, I am quite sure dont believe B-reversing Side B doesnt have as much of a signficiant momentum change in comparison to the recovery properties of B reversing neutral B. That account to the fact that labbing out side B, perhaps I misworded my reply, and more specifically I referred to b reversing side b as not being able to cause a significant change in momentum(if any) while recovering on stage, yes you can act out of side b faster but the whole point for olimar's b reverse is that it really gives him a nice bounce to mess with enemies, it is unsafe since you cant act out of it fast but the point is simply mindgames and landing. You are right it is possible to b reverse side B in general however. One thing tho, if you don't mind me asking but can you define what you mean by " faster aerial double backs"?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From experience, I am quite sure dont believe B-reversing Side B doesnt have as much of a signficiant momentum change in comparison to the recovery properties of B reversing neutral B. That account to the fact that labbing out side B, perhaps I misworded my reply, and more specifically I referred to b reversing side b as not being able to cause a significant change in momentum(if any) while recovering on stage, yes you can act out of side b faster but the whole point for olimar's b reverse is that it really gives him a nice bounce to mess with enemies, it is unsafe since you cant act out of it fast but the point is simply mindgames and landing. You are right it is possible to b reverse side B in general however. One thing tho, if you don't mind me asking but can you define what you mean by " faster aerial double backs"?
Hmm, maybe b-reversing side b does slow you down a bit when it reverses, I never really looked closely. I would say it still conserves enough momentum to be useful for landing, though.
When I said "faster aerial double backs" I meant that you could in theory b-reverse once, then once or even twice after that to throw off opponents who catch on to your b-reversing, though that would only be possible when you are high enough in the air. Doing that with neutral b would give your opponent more time to catch up and punish you during the end lag, that's where the "faster" part comes from.
It's not often I find the opportunity to do that though as generally just the one well timed neutral b-reverse is enough so it really is just theory.:roll:

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Can the Yellow Pikmin's throw hit a Little mac when he's performing Jolt Haymaker? I can't test this myself because my Smash Bros. 4 disc is currently undergoing repairs...

Last edited:

D1sastermagnet

Smash Rookie
Hi, not really into 4 but wanted to see how olimar is doing.
I read in the wiki that against fast characters you should play safe. What does that mean? (Keep a Pikmin at your side, don't PT at all?)
And what do they mean by confuse and disorient?
Sorry if I repeated a question asked before, or if I asked a stupid one. I just feel like I don't know how to olimar (though played him in brawl), so I'm just starting with these. Thanks!

Last edited:

D1sastermagnet

Smash Rookie
Also, what are olimar's reliable kill moves? I'm a bit confused, are his throws suitable, or do I have to rely on Bair?

D1sastermagnet

Smash Rookie
Whoo, thanks.
So (confirming) oli's best kill moves are bair, blue uthrow, and uair? (Discounting smashes cuz of reliability. Or should I include them?)

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Can someone tell me if this is something new or is it old? I don't remember the Pikmin being switched when you get hit.
https://youtu.be/WipaPMBBjuo?t=2m16s

The pikmin are in this order: Blue, White and Purple.
At 2:22~23 ROB hits me with a Bair and then the next pikmin to be used is a white.
At 2:31 before ROB KO'd me with an Usmash, the next pikmin is Purple but after the hit the arrow points the Blue.

What the $%&$%& happened there?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Hey, I have been rotating a few characters in order to find the play style I enjoy the most and Olimar/Alph is one of the characters I have the most fun with. I have a few questions for long time Olimar/Alph players. Thank you in advance!

1. What would you say are Olimar/Alph pros and cons?

2. Is Olimar/Alph supposed to excel at zoning/keeping the opponents away from them?

3. What does one need to have to be a good Olimar/Alph player, other than lacking a heart (because of the countless cute Pikmin who die during matches)?

Top Bottom