• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar MU discussion

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
So far I've only played against one person as olimar, and he only plays Ike. so I'll give my thoughts on that match up for now till 3.0's been out longer and can speculate on how he fares against the majorly changed characters + new characters.

Ike- good god the first few matches were hell. this goes for any character that can put on pressure well, but olimar can get crushed if you don't have a good handle on your pikmin. And even when you have your head in the game, i was never rushing down, but running away and baiting for punishes and staying in the air for on the offensive. Anyways back to Ike, one wrong move at around 70% and you're done, you're forward smash reaches far and you can use it to stuff quick draw approaches. Ike isn't a fast faller so he's pretty easy to combo once you get it going. watch out for that sword's priority and range though or you'll lose some valuable pikmin and then have to restock. Now this should be obvious that this is Olimar's weakest state, but in those few matches, I got bodied most, because Ike can apply enough pressure and keep up fast enough to try and keep you from pulling your little helpers out. Nair and dash attack get him to back off quickly, and dash attack keeps you grounded, regardless they both buy you time to pull pikmin, provided Ike is at the right percent.

Mario: (speculation, i play against mario with my other friend who mains him, but haven't specifically played as olimar yet.) fireballs will bring trouble to the table as usual, like any other character without an easy way to deal, we'll have to rely on powersheilding. Olimar's roughly the same, maybe more heavier than Toonlink (my main) so mario's combo potential on us should still be pretty good. the good news is that road goes both ways. the biggest problem with this one is going to be the cape. the pikmin throws are only gonna work if comboed into or if mario is caught off guard. this may be worse still, I'm not sure how Fsmash reacts to cape yet but it could be very big trouble.

Falco: (again, speculation.) oh boy, ok well falco can throw out hitboxes fast enough that provided you land a pikmin throw, they'll be booted off quickly.And even still, he has shine to easily reflect the pikmin back. the sheild pressure he can exert is going to be rough to deal with, as olimars grab is way to slow to catch anything falco may be doing. I suggest learning to wavedash Oos. Upsmash Oos could work well too depending on the timing.
as for lasers? well, same as fireballs really, you're gonna hate it, but you're gonna have to deal with them. Again, wavedash Oos could help approach.

well that's all for now folks.

Nido

ily Sebby
Well I've been playing Olimar against a guy who uses Roy and Wolf.

Roy seems pretty tough when he gets in on you and with the damage output Roy has he's going to be killing you pretty early, but on the other hand he's pretty easy to combo and gimp, red pikmin Dair beats his UpB I'm fairly certain.

Wolf can be annoying and watch out if he reflects white pikmin back at you, purple and yellow pikmin go through his blaster shot so those pikmin will be useful for defending against and approaching him.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head I'll play him more later and get more information.

jtm94

Smash Lord
The only tidbit I have to offer is that against combo characters like Marth, Captain Falcon and the like, Purple Pikmin are amazing because the hit is super disorienting to them and stuffs their approaches completely. Throwing pikmin into attacks also registers normal hitlage for them as though they are hitting a character so take advantage of that.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Wolf can be annoying and watch out if he reflects white pikmin back at you, purple and yellow pikmin go through his blaster shot so those pikmin will be useful for defending against and approaching him.

the yellow pikmin make pretty good anti-airs, so if your bud can SH waveland wolf's lasers i imagine those would be perfect.

Throwing pikmin into attacks also registers normal hitlage for them as though they are hitting a character so take advantage of that.

AHA, i did the same thing against my ike player, and got a free grab off him. i wasn't sure if it was a reliable technique (if you could call it that) but yeah, it's pretty much a free whatever.

Nido

ily Sebby
Purple pikmin reliably lead into grabs at low% and are really good momentum breakers against your opponents so it's always good to have one in your lineup.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Always keep a purple, you are gonna want that kill potential.

Anyway, Mewtwo vs Olimar is terrible. Mewtwo's sideb negates all of olimar's attacks where he tosses pikmin. (Fsmash and the like)

The neutral game is kind of a joke I feel, Olimar just gets outclassed in everything except brute force.

Any advice going into this would be appreciated.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman

Anyway, Mewtwo vs Olimar is terrible. Mewtwo's sideb negates all of olimar's attacks where he tosses pikmin. (Fsmash and the like)

The neutral game is kind of a joke I feel, Olimar just gets outclassed in everything except brute force.

first and foremost.
greetings voidbrother.

secondmost, this would confirm my beliefs that mario can probably cape fsmash. fantastic.
anyways, i played with him a little bit myself, while i'm no expert with mewtwo or trying to become one. I can honestly say, you wanna play super defensive. like, ignore mewtwo like a nobleman ignores a plebian. don't bother going in period till your pikmin are flowered. and only swat him away when necessary. on the ground and at short hop height? that teleport is scary.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
MK's ftilt destroys Oli, imo. Also, MK's bair is amazing for edgeguarding Oli's recovery.

Then again, his meta is so young that I don't wanna speculate too much on MU's till I get more used to the character.

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP

Wat

mewtwo gets camped out pretty hard. mewtwo's side b is pretty laggy, reflected pikmin can just be whistled off, you should never use fsmash in the neutral game. just make sure you're always throwing out hitboxes amongst your side-b's, mewtwos like to up-b into you because it seems cool and instant but the teleport is much more vulnerable than it might look

onionchowder and I played it quite a bit this week and we agree its tough for mewtwo

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
And then he does it again. It's really hard to deal with, lol.
cc-> up smash/jab combo might be able to help you out.
well the point of crouch canceling would be so you can shield in between the hits. give it a shot. though meta may be fast, i don't think he's faster than a shield.
Most of his moves are positive on shield if I remember correctly, so punishing him in that manor, isn't the best option, from my experience anyway.

I'll probably be playing a MK player later this week. When that time comes, I will ether upload some videos or at the very least, I'll have some useful information to post.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Here's something I noticed, pikmin beat all projectiles and continue going the path they are thrown. Also, after you throw them, while they are coming back to you, any projectiles coming at you, that happens to touch one of them, will be destroyed. Even Samus's fully charged neutral B will be reduced to nothing. Just as a FYI, this applies to ALL of his pikmin.

All Olimar needs, is the ability to effect the arc at which they are thrown and he undisputedly, have the best projectile in the game.

EDIT: they do lose to falcos/foxs lasers :/

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Any advice vs. Samus and Marth would be greatly appreciated.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Any advice vs. Samus and Marth would be greatly appreciated.
My above post covers all of Samus's projectiles. What kind of problems do you have against her? I can't say to much on Marth at the moment.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
My above post covers all of Samus's projectiles. What kind of problems do you have against her? I can't say to much on Marth at the moment.

I'm just wondering what the general gameplan vs Samus would be.

My friend who plays Samus knows how to missile cancel near perfectly (and I don't know how to fight Samus too well with any character to be honest), so I try to go in, avoiding the barrage of missiles, go for throws and dtilts and such to start comboing her. Although I tend to get hit by sudden Nairs alot during my combos.

But, I'm mainly asking what range I should be playing her at. Should I play midrange with my smashes, throws, and Side B, or should I close in to try to keep the pressure on her?

SSS

Smash Ace

My friend who plays Samus knows how to missile cancel near perfectly (and I don't know how to fight Samus too well with any character to be honest), so I try to go in, avoiding the barrage of missiles, go for throws and dtilts and such to start comboing her. Although I tend to get hit by sudden Nairs alot during my combos.

But, I'm mainly asking what range I should be playing her at. Should I play midrange with my smashes, throws, and Side B, or should I close in to try to keep the pressure on her?
I don't know enough about Olimar yet to say anything regarding range, but the reason why you're getting Naired so much is because Samus is too floaty to combo extensively, with any character. You're probaby overextending yourself and going for combos that work on heavier characters.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542

I think you should try playing a mid range/defensive game. Your pikmin can beat all of her projectiles, so once they figure that out, they will have no choice but to stop shooting and start punching. Once she comes in, you'll have a new problem to face, her cc game. In melee it was one of the better cc in the game. This was mainly because of her damash. I'm not sure if the dsmash is as good as it was in melee, but it seems to be pretty good in PM. Remember, your pikmin can beat even her strongest projectile, so use that to your advantage.

What SSS says is right. Her weight is weird so trying to go crazy on that ***** isn't gonna happen. Try to keep what you do short and sweet. At low prevents you can do some combos but not to much.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
I think you should try playing a mid range/defensive game. Your pikmin can beat all of her projectiles, so once they figure that out, they will have no choice but to stop shooting and start punching. Once she comes in, you'll have a new problem to face, her cc game. In melee it was one of the better cc in the game. This was mainly because of her damash. I'm not sure if the dsmash is as good as it was in melee, but it seems to be pretty good in PM. Remember, your pikmin can beat even her strongest projectile, so use that to your advantage.

What SSS says is right. Her weight is weird so trying to go crazy on that ***** isn't gonna happen. Try to keep what you do short and sweet. At low prevents you can do some combos but not to much.

Alright, I'll keep these things in mind next time I fight her. Thank you for the help!

Hopefully soon I'll be able to contribute my own info to this thread. I was an Oli main back in Brawl, but I haven't played Brawl in a few years and my Oli is very rusty (and while adjusting to his new P:M form. I was extremely excited to see he finally made it in, and I'm loving him in P:M so far).

OMalley

Smash Cadet
i've been playing a bunch of wifi matches and i can't say too much but these are some initial observations:

Olimar v Sonic is a pian due to almost all of sonic's attacks by default knocking off pikmin. makes damage racking hard.

Olimar v G-Dorf isn't bad, G-dorf is a big target, and i've found that most characters that have hotboxes that don't cover their whole bodies are easy to rack damage on and work around.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
i've been playing a bunch of wifi matches and i can't say too much but these are some initial observations:

Olimar v Sonic is a pian due to almost all of sonic's attacks by default knocking off pikmin. makes damage racking hard.
I don't think you should rely on pikmin toss doing a lot of DMG in this game or at least against sonic. SHFL'ing pretty much negates it, since you could nair, SHFL and remove them with ez. Against sonic tho, the MU should be in our favor since he lost a lot of priority due to nerfs.

imo, I think Olimar can really get off on big body enemies.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Ftilt>Ike's UpB lool
Ones ike goes off the stages vs us, he is as good as dead, his ass is grass, he will be come one, with the blastzone, he will become an example for society. DESTRUCTION

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
So I played a zard and sonic today!
Here's some knowledge thy whilst slap upon you
Sonic~
Whenever he down B you can get a free grab on him. If you time it right of course. You can also get spaced fairs, dtilts etc
You can wait for him to get close to usmash OoS.
If he passes you while doing his down b and starts to come back while you're shielding, you can just ez mode nair OoS.
If he ever tries to do somethin above you, usmash his sketchers off or you can try to get some combos off with uair.
Dsmash, ftilt and off stage fairs are still amazing against him. IMO those and dairs are all you need to guard everyone.
I didn't get to try dtilt to dair on him tho
Zard~
He's combo food
Like at one point, I got a falling uair>utilt he di'd away so I got a bair> he DI like down and away> I went for a yolo dash atk and then I fair'd him and he SD lol
You can punish a lot of his ground moves. Grabs are pretty free against him. At low % you can mind game with uthrow/dthrow mix ups. I can usually get some sorta chain grabs going on.
He can be easy to gimp(at times) and even spike
I find, once you bait'em/waste some of his jumps, you can just go off the ledge and then jump right above him and #FreeEZ(dair him)
Pikmin toss puts a lot of pressure on him
Removing pikmin can be dangerous for him
All our B&B edge guard tools work well and or set up for better situations.
Purple pikmin toss options all work
So you can PT(pikmin toss) into jab combo, dtilt, ftilt, grabs, usmash and maybe some others. Trying to do some smash like fsmash and down smash can be situational. I don't know the frame data so meh.
Uthrow kills around the low 100% If I remember correctly, I'm not sure what the best DI for this is. I usually DI towards him and sometimes ill do that but slightly downward.
Not sure if there is much left to say, aside from zard knowledge like, utilt godlike vertical range.

Last edited:

Metà

Smash Master
i feel like olimar may be one of those characters that does ok against the entire cast. his best combos are basically just hitting them with flowered pikmin side b's (especially whites) and pummelling. i've racked up zero to deaths that ended with the opponent dying at over 120%, with almost exclusively throws and side b. this works on every character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
^^^

If you get a white pikmin on someone, or multiple pikmin on a person regardless, and grab them, pummel/keep them held for awhile and then toss. You will do 50+ damage for free

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
i feel like olimar may be one of those characters that does ok against the entire cast. his best combos are basically just hitting them with flowered pikmin side b's (especially whites) and pummelling. i've racked up zero to deaths that ended with the opponent dying at over 120%, with almost exclusively throws and side b. this works on every character.
how2zERoDEath
^^^

If you get a white pikmin on someone, or multiple pikmin on a person regardless, and grab them, pummel/keep them held for awhile and then toss. You will do 50+ damage for free
How good is that, if said person is good at mashing?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well I'm not too sure, but because the Pikmin are adding damage you would figure this should increase the amount of mashing they have to do to get out. You don't have to pummel them a ton, but try to get one-two in and then do a long throw like Uthrow to try and maximize how long your Pikmin are laying the smackdown

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
I agree with DMG about grabbing while the pikmin are latched, but arguably white pikmin might be better for pummeling than latching especially when at higher %'s (70+). If flowered, pummeling with a flowered white pikmin will do a ridiculous amount of damage (I think around 7%) per hit. Also, it won't kamikaze itself or be hit off in a few seconds and you can regrab with the same pikmin.
This, of course, requires you to cradle your white pikmin for a bit which should pay off in the long run

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The downside for that, is you commit to using the white pikmin for your grab. It might be better to throw a White Pikmin, then get a grab with a purp/blue one, and have a decent chance to kill them. Somebody light at 70% before the grab, just might be screwed when they get Uthrown by Purp and are over 100%

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Would having a few flowered Yellows in the lineup help against characters who can easily mash Nair in the middle of combos, like Luigi, Samus, etc?

Also, does anyone have any advice for the Link matchup? I hate fighting this character with a passion.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Would having a few flowered Yellows in the lineup help against characters who can easily mash Nair in the middle of combos, like Luigi, Samus, etc?

Also, does anyone have any advice for the Link matchup? I hate fighting this character with a passion.
Yellows might be able to stop them from nairing if their % is high enough, since it does offer more hit lag.

What's the link doing? Oh and for starters, if he omits to use his tether, make sure to punish him for it.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Yellows might be able to stop them from nairing if their % is high enough, since it does offer more hit lag.

What's the link doing? Oh and for starters, if he omits to use his tether, make sure to punish him for it.
My problem is dealing with the boomerang.

If I block it, I'll just get grabbed.
If I get hit by it, I get combo'd.
If I throw a Pikmin at it, it doesn't matter, as I'll probably get hit during the lag of Pikmin Throw.

My friend who plays Link jumps and throws the 'rang at a downward angle, and it seems to cover a space that is really annoying to deal with.

I can't seem to find a good range to fight against this character with.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Welcome to the Club. Nobody enjoys fighting Link

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
My problem is dealing with the boomerang.

If I block it, I'll just get grabbed.
If I get hit by it, I get combo'd.
If I throw a Pikmin at it, it doesn't matter, as I'll probably get hit during the lag of Pikmin Throw.

My friend who plays Link jumps and throws the 'rang at a downward angle, and it seems to cover a space that is really annoying to deal with.

I can't seem to find a good range to fight against this character with.
If he's doing a full hop, you can try moving towards him in an aggressive manor. I suggest trying to close the distance between you two at this time and possible getting behind, so you don't have to worry about the rang doing something sneaky.
At what range is he throwing the rang more often than not? You could try being at a range he doesn't usually throw it.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
DK > Olimar

DK is a beast vs Olimar. He has an incredible jab combo that links into a grab and getting cargo thrown off the edge is usually a kill since Olimars floatyness allows for a fairly easy connectable fair. Nair is another great option if he DI's away, although the fair can connect there too. DK is also fantastic at edge guarding with his new Up B recovery. He is able to crouch cancel all of Olimars tilts, jab, and nair. DK also has a great aggro game against him.

Solutions I have found:
Basically wait for a mistake and punish hard. Retreating Fairs and Bairs are good when dash dancing. Wavedashing doesn't seem to be super great for him but I'm no pro with it yet. Going on the offence with olimar will get him into trouble since DK can crouch cancel most of his set up moves. Grabs are super effective but DK has a good short hop game. In closing, run away and punish when he makes a mistake.

Top Bottom