• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar MU discussion

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
How do you guys deal with Luigi? His down b out prioritizes all of my smashes(or so it seemed. I can't test it.)

I had a lot of trouble with early combos and late stock against weegee.

Any advice would be appreciated.

.fube

Smash Cadet
How do you guys deal with Luigi? His down b out prioritizes all of my smashes(or so it seemed. I can't test it.)

I had a lot of trouble with early combos and late stock against weegee.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I was playing this matchup a few days ago. It is definitely a bit tricky. Floaties are starting to seem like oli's worst matchups. I did not experience the problems that you had with luigis down-b, but here are a few general tips for the mu:

-the best place that you can be is below luigi. Your u-smash and u-air can beat out any aerial that he tries to come down on you with, and on most stages he dies pretty early through the ceiling.

-be aware of whether or not he has a misfire and do not let him camp you out. Your pikmin > his fireballs

-CC his aerial approaches. This is very important. You can easily outrange him on the ground so he may get a bit air-happy. Punishing CC'd aerials with u-tilt at lower percents works great and has a lot of followup options. U-tilt in general is very good in his matchup.

I will add more to this later when i think of things.

Last edited:

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
I was recently playing as an Olimar versus an Ike and I realized that if Olimar forces Ike to use his normal attacks than Olimar has the ability to out prioritize the Ike with a short hop fair. I also learned that if Olimar is allowed to develop his pikimn Olimar can use nairs and fairs to get in close on Ike, to where Ike is unable to use many of his options. Also, Olimar can chase Ike very far offstage if Olimar saves his pikmin pluck ability for getting close enough to tether back to the stage. This mu can quickly sway into Ike's favor if he prevents Olimar from developing his pikmin. If an Ike begins to do this to Olimar, use movement options to stall Ike while pikmin develop and wait for Ike to use an attack option that leaves him vulnerable.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Back on the topic of DK. He's not too hard to deal with once you really know how. Stay out of his range, it's bigger than yours. Try to bait attacks from him, not too hard to do usually because you can use Pikmin Throw and most people will attack to get Pikmin off.

DKs hurtbox extends pretty far on a lot of his moves. Hit his attacks with F-Air/B-Air and you will go through his attacks.

After connecting, if possible, go for bigger damage. If he tries to attack out of your combos to break them he's usually going to be in for a rough time because you have disjointed attacks.

Absolutely do not get caught in your shield though. If he grabs you its gonna hurt.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
how the **** do you fight MK as Olimar

tips plz
I haven't had the chance to try the MU. But he is rather easy to combo if remember correctly, that, and he is a little heavy. You should have some free CG on him that will lead to utilts, usmash, uairs and fair/bairs. His dthrow tech chase options aren't great on Olimar because of his weight, so he won't be able to use that very much or at least nearly effective as he could on other characters. If there are low platforms, you could probably Di up and onto them. Purple pikmin tosses are great for taking away his jumps and fairs can keep him off your stage. The same applies to bair. If he is putting the pressure on, usmash OoS might be a viable option. He can kill any where, so pick a stage that's comfortable with you. I think he does worse on stages with high cellings(I'm not sure, NEED CLARIFACTION)

So yea, not a lot of info on the MU, but yea. If you happen to have a video or something, that would be cool.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
I've played MK, and I must say, it's not an easy match imo.

Main reason being he has a sword, and in my experience, Olimar hates swords. MK is also really fast and has some pretty good recovery. He does get combo'd fairly easy though being a fast faller, and he's the second or third lightest character in the game, or so I'm told. So killing him isn't too hard. Just don't be predictable with your recovery because he's got the gimps.

If you're going to take him to anywhere, I'd recommend the stages Fountain of Dreams and Battlefield mostly, because it's very true he can kill you off the top. Dreamland 64 probably isn't terrible either, but I don't like having to deal with MK's recovery and Olimar only really has D-Smash and F-Tilt (at higher percents) to take out MK off the side in DL64. Usually FoD and BF let him be killed fairly easy toward the side with moves like F-Air and B-Air as well.

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering how the Olimar Kirby MU would play out. Does anyone have any experience with this MU so I don't have to go grind versus Kirby players at tourneys?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Kirby's not too hard if you outspace him. Also watchout for his Dash-Attack cause it's good. You can punish it pretty easy though.

He's another character that can take you off stage and keep you off pretty easy though.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
This might sould like an odd question, but how do you up smash out of shield with Olimar? I have tap jump off and the C-stick just makes him jump.
Just do a JCUsmash the way you usually do, just shield before hand.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
If you have Tap Jump off then you'll need to hit a jump button and then up+A or up on the C-Stick immediately.

With default controls, this is probably easiest to achieve by pressing Y+Up+A, but I know a lot of people with tap jump off also map a shoulder button to Jump to so they can use the C-Stick instead.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
With tap jump on tho
I just flick both sticks up ezez

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
This might sould like an odd question, but how do you up smash out of shield with Olimar? I have tap jump off and the C-stick just makes him jump.
Try setting a shield button that you don't use to jump. I play with tap jump off and don't use R at all, so I set it to jump specifically for OoS up-smash and up-b.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Kay we need to talk about Olimar's potential worst matchup. Marth.

Out of every matchup I've played Marth is the one I have to revisit the most. His range is better, his dash is better and he's really hard to combo. Once he's offstage he's not as big of a problem but getting him there is difficult.

So far I've found that well timed F-smash can be useful against his approach, as can Purple Toss. But its hard to get passed that.

Any ideas guys?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Can't really help you out there. I really only pull Oli against big bodies or people as fast or slower than him. I might use him against more characters if we get more knowledge on him.

Idk how you play or how the others play, but I guess, go to those anti-marth stages, try using the pikmin slide to your advantage, let marth unsafely hit your shield and try to wd OoS and punish him. Typical anti-Marth strats. You could also try to pikmin toss after you finish a combo and a landed one usually forces some type of reaction. If you can find a way to open him up, the combos are free though.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yeah this is normal stuff I try, but a good spacing Marth is really hard. His F-Air is a pain against all that is Olimar.

I'm calling it now, this match up is like 75-25 Marth.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Yeah this is normal stuff I try, but a good spacing Marth is really hard. His F-Air is a pain against all that is Olimar.

Better go get some real projectiles, lol.

Smash Apprentice
I have an idea to who oli's worst match up and if your playing this bud, who will not be mentioned, character limit the number of your pikmin.
P.S.
The character is ivysaur

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice

Only thing I can think of is Dash attack canceled grabs to get in, otherwise wait till Marth overextends to approach

B.W.

Smash Champion
Is this the Dash Attack Cancel where the Dash Attack hitbox comes out then a grab comes out or is this what some people call a Boost Grab? I'm pretty sure he can Boost Grab, but I dunno about the other.

Smash Apprentice
you dash attack and grab and same time, pushes you forward as the grab hit box is coming out, extending it.

Soniv

Smash Cadet
How are people dealing with the fatties (DK/Bowser/Charizard/Ganon to an extent)?

I'm finding myself really struggling against the hard hitting guys that can outrange me just by their sheer size and seem to have higher priority than me.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I got some tips on Dk, although I still have trouble. It's probably my most versed matchup besides Falcon.

You need to take him anywhere with platforms. You can't really go on the attack because he outranges your moves (D--tilt, Down-B, Tilt) not to mention they're really quick. However, once you got him in a combo, he can't do much. DK is easiest when he's above you I find, but other than that you have to play really defensively, make hard reads to get grabs or you'll end up grabbing him but he'll break out with an attack causing you to get knocked back. However, he is extremely easy to spike (with Ganondorf I can get a meteor smash when he's trying to recover). It's just that Olimars dair is awkward so you've got to time it correctly with the right Pikmin.

Bascially, above all else, you need to be patient or he'll totally ruin you.

Atleast, that's what I understand? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Soniv

Smash Cadet
That sounds right Lack, I just wanted confirmation (and to know if there were any special tricks). I don't struggle against the small guys I can be aggressive on, but I fail to change up my play style against the bigguns.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Pretty much, Lackadaisy.

To add to it though, a big part of winning vs bigger characters, DK especially, is out spacing them. These characters don't have much for disjoints, at least not like Olimar.

DK has a lot of fast aerials, which makes the end lag hard to punish. The real way to punish these attacks is to hit him during them with F-Air/B-Air/U-Air (preferably U-Air since that's where all your big damage comes from but don't go for it if it won't land).

Also avoid small stages for the most part. It makes you harder to kill and they're big targets which makes them easy to smack with a D-Air. Bowser and DK especially.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
You can refer to me by Alax lol, thats usually my internet alias haha

But yes, Olimar is a patient oriented character. Basically, the more time you have spacing, the more time you have to pluck and flower. When they rush you it becomes an issue so you want to avoid it before it starts. Thankfully DKs ledgegaurd isn't so bad on Oli, I can make it back most of the time. Other than that, I've noticed pikmin throw (Side b) is useless in alot of cases, as he'll take all of them and just come and get you. You wanna take advantage of aerials and downsmash.

I know what you mean, when I play Falcon it's a different ballpark.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
The PMBR kinda stressed in their first video introduction to Oli that flowered Pikmin are much stronger than leaf, but it didn't really click with me until recently. I've realized how actually important it is to wait for your Pikmin to bloom. Even practicing with ****ty computer players, his combo game is so much better with flower-only Pikmin. It's awesome.

Not to say that his moves are trash when he's using leaf Pikmin, but seriously waiting for them to flower is super helpful for his game.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Use Pikmin Throw for extra guarenteed damage more than an actual projectile.

If you manage to get a Pikmin stuck on an opponent, then get that opponent in a combo with the Pikmin still on them, that's 14%+ extra damage you do during that combo.

Pikmin who are latched on to opponents also tend to make them use an attack to get the Pikmin off. Use this to your advantage. A lot of times this will make openings for you, because you can just punish whatever they do. There are some characters that have safe ways of getting Pikmin off though.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Use Pikmin Throw for extra guarenteed damage more than an actual projectile.

If you manage to get a Pikmin stuck on an opponent, then get that opponent in a combo with the Pikmin still on them, that's 14%+ extra damage you do during that combo.

Pikmin who are latched on to opponents also tend to make them use an attack to get the Pikmin off. Use this to your advantage. A lot of times this will make openings for you, because you can just punish whatever they do. There are some characters that have safe ways of getting Pikmin off though.
I really like this post because I've been trying to somehow incorporate Pikmin throw into my game, but I'm always in the projectile mindset and it never works. Gonna have to look at it in a different way.

afistfulofwasabi

Smash Rookie
What chance does Olimar stand against spacies, Wolf in particular? And if he does stand a chance what can I do?

B.W.

Smash Champion
U-Air the bejeezus out of them.

Really though, keep spacies above you. There is nothing they can do about it. For Falco and Wolf you can literally 0-death combo them. Fox too actually but his better recovery can make it a little harder. But yeah rack up damage with U-Smash and U-Air and that will usually combo into a F-Air or B-Air and on stages with low ceilings you can even kill with U-Air combos.

Fox is by far the hardest matchup since he's the most mobile. Add to that, the fact that his U-Smash and U-Air can kill Olimar early. Its hard to stage CP Fox because giving him space to move is bad but you want a stage with a high ceiling.

Priority stages IMO are Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Lylat Cruise. In that order.

Falco can be a pain to deal with cause of his lasers. But having a far worse recovery than Fox makes him a little easier to deal with. Pikmin can block lasers if you want to throw them at the lasers. Smart Pikmin Throws at lasers can create openings but don't be reckless. Falco can have trouble starting his combos on Olimar due to Olimar's size and his floatiness. Top it off with Olimar being kind of hard to kill and you've got a great matchup on big stages. Just make sure you have platforms.

Priority stages imo: Dreamland 64, Lylat Cruise, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2

Wolf is probably the second hardest to play against IMO. His laser is great, (though keep in mind that Purple plows through it and will hit Wolf if you get the chance to throw it) and he has a much easier time comboing into his kill moves on Olimar than Falco. He can also go deeper off the ledge to keep Olimar dead and still make it back to the stage. But he is also the fastest faller in the game. You should be able to juggle him with U-Air easily. Stages for this character is weird. He can move so you want them smaller but he has great horizontal KO power with a lot of his moves, add to that the fact he can edgeguard you more reliably than the other two so its hard to say whether or not you want closer or farther blast zones as they both offer advantages and disadvantages for this character since Wolf also has decent recovery.

Priority stages: I dunno but I like Lylat Cruise.

So you'll notice I say Lylat Cruise a lot. Reason for this is because a lot of characters have trouble recovering there, but Olimar does not. The platforms also help Olimar keep his opponents above him, making it easier to hit with U-Airs. I tend to take a lot of characters to Lylat for these reasons

Last edited:
Top Bottom