• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar MU discussion

afistfulofwasabi

Smash Rookie
I just tried most of that out and I noticed that on Lylat cruise about Olimars recovery. I also imagine Olimar vs Spacies on Lylat to be like astronaut vs aliens ;p. Lol Olimar the human exploring space becoming friends with the pikmin and then having to fight off space animals.
:gova:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Alright Captains, I need your help on my MU chart.

I know that Olimar is new and largely unknown, but my buddy has been playing him for about 2 months and is pretty solid. We have an idea for some of his MUs, but I would like all of your input as well!

Any general consensus on known MUs is accepted. If you don't know the MU that is perfectly fine, but the more I can get the better!

Thank you guys for your time, I hope to get this completed by mid-summer!

The colors are basic:
Red: is really bad
Orange: kind of bad
Yellow: unfavorable
Light Green: favorable
Darker Green: good
Darkest Green: free win

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to give me a general consensus on what characters are known!

Attachments

B.W.

Smash Champion
I was preemptively expecting you to pop up here and it got my brain working but aside from Fire Emblem characters and Fox it's hard to say in my opinion

jtm94

Smash Lord
All I know is that Olimar seems to be good against DDD, Puff, Bowser, Ganon, Peach maybe, DK, Captain Falcon?, Ike, GnW, Zard
And he seems to lose to Fox, Diddy?, Link? could be neutral, Marth beats him hard, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Sonic?

Last edited:

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Alright Captains, I need your help on my MU chart.

I know that Olimar is new and largely unknown, but my buddy has been playing him for about 2 months and is pretty solid. We have an idea for some of his MUs, but I would like all of your input as well!

Any general consensus on known MUs is accepted. If you don't know the MU that is perfectly fine, but the more I can get the better!

Thank you guys for your time, I hope to get this completed by mid-summer!

The colors are basic:
Red: is really bad
Orange: kind of bad
Yellow: unfavorable
Light Green: favorable
Darker Green: good
Darkest Green: free win

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to give me a general consensus on what characters are known!

I Main Olimar and these are my thoughts.

Marking it on Olimars horizontal line:

Vs Ganondorf: Dark Green
Vs Diddy: Red
Vs DK: Orange
Vs Roy: Red
Vs Marth: Red
Vs Ike: Yellow
Vs Mario: Yellow
Vs Bowser: Dark Green
Vs Wario: Purple? (Neutral)
Vs Fox: Red
Vs Falco: Red
Vs Link: Yellow
Vs Toon Link: Yellow
Vs Zelda: Green
Vs Lucas: Green
Vs Yoshi: Orange
Vs Ness: Yellow/Purple? (Neutral)

The guys in red basically shut him down with speed and pressure. DK is Orange because he gets a lot of free death combos from grabs and his Jab/ Tilts can devistate him. The surprise for me was Lucas. I fought a really high pressure Lucas whom I know the player is better than me, but I came out on top. He has some options against Lucas and Lucas has a harder time comboing. The only one's I'm not sure about are the Link's, so take that with a grain of salt.

That's my list so far based on the experience I've had against these characters.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yes, but I haven't had a chance to get on my computer. I prefer not to type out long explanations on my phone. Takes too long and auto correct destroys my sentences.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Yes, but I haven't had a chance to get on my computer. I prefer not to type out long explanations on my phone. Takes too long and auto correct destroys my sentences.
Pshh
I do plenty of typing on my phone; no fear; for the glory!

B.W.

Smash Champion
When I'm on my phone I'm usually at work though. Lately for me it's been work and playing Smash in preparation for UFGT

B.W.

Smash Champion
Very possible. I've gone all Olimar in the past few weeklies I've entered in. I usually place 13th out of 30+ people. Placed 9th last week, though I don't feel I earned it to much since someone I was supposed to play got DQ'd.

I'm trying to be ready for UFGT but there are a few matchups I'm fairly concerned about due to inexperience.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Very possible. I've gone all Olimar in the past few weeklies I've entered in. I usually place 13th out of 30+ people. Placed 9th last week, though I don't feel I earned it to much since someone I was supposed to play got DQ'd.

I'm trying to be ready for UFGT but there are a few matchups I'm fairly concerned about due to inexperience.
Which MUs?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yoshi, Pikachu, Pit, ROB due to inexperience.

Fire Emblem characters and Fix because those matchups suck for Olimar.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Yoshi, Pikachu, Pit, ROB due to inexperience.

Fire Emblem characters and Fix because those matchups suck for Olimar.
Fix? I don't think the yoshi MU isn't harsh, just don't flinch in your shield.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Fox. Damn phone.

For UFGT, if I ever doubt the matchup I'll just bring out Pikachu. Normally I'd go all Olimar but this is UFGT.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Fox. Damn phone.

For UFGT, if I ever doubt the matchup I'll just bring out Pikachu. Normally I'd go all Olimar but this is UFGT.
It doesn't actually feel horrid to play that MU. Like, you have the mix up with d and u throw and after blues the next grab/follow up is free. The edge guards are easy, unless your trying to hit some of those side b's. I'd say, try to get as few platforms as possible, maybe aim for some high platforms so your chain grabs and your follow ups don't get messed up. Id also advise larger stages, but that's just me.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
How do you guys deal with Luigi? His down b out prioritizes all of my smashes(or so it seemed. I can't test it.)

I had a lot of trouble with early combos and late stock against weegee.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Run the opposite direction of his aerial approaches and catch his landing with pivot grab

B.W.

Smash Champion
Fox is easy to combo and kill. One you catch him he should lose a stock. It's catching him that's the pain. It's difficult to force him to make mistakes and his dash dance can be a pain to deal with if you don't have Purple Pikmin.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
This is true, but that first game will be p hard for fox since he will probably have to learn more than you :p

@ B.W. B.W. How does the good ol captain fair against Tink?

Last edited:

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Heres my reasoning for why I said what I said.

Vs Ganondorf: Dark Green
-Ganon is too slow and easy to read. Also combo fodder.
Vs Diddy: Red
-Dash attack off the edge gimps Olimar hard and often. Also has Rocket Barrel that cuts off his recovery. Monkey flip is legit agaist Olimar.
Vs DK: Orange
-Dk's fair > Jab > Grab combo often leads Olimar to an early death. Also is fantastic at edge guarding. Sure, You can rack up damage combos but if you hit with the wrong Pikmin as your kill move, expect to take at least 30%.
Vs Roy: Red
-Fast, Strong, Sword.
Vs Marth: Red
-Fast, Spacing, Sword
Vs Ike: Yellow
-He's slower than the other FE's but his Sword cuts through Pikmin. I'd say its close to a Neutral and could potentially go to green. Haven't had too much exp against him.
Vs Mario: Yellow
-Swap to the Doc and Pills are better. It's a great matchup but I fell like it swings in Marios favor.
Vs Bowser: Dark Green
-Big Body with Super armor as his only saving grace.
Vs Wario: Purple? (Neutral)
-Legit matchup.
Vs Fox: Red
Just too much to handle. A single mistake can cost you a stock.
Vs Falco: Red
Similar to Fox, just a bit slower.
Vs Link: Yellow
Haven't honestly played against link too much but if they new how to utilize the sword better, I feel like I would be at more of a disadvantage.
Vs Toon Link: Yellow
Mostly the same as Link.
Vs Zelda: Green
Can generally stall against Zelda to get Flower. Olimar is also hard to sweetspot on a lot of moves.
Vs Lucas: Green
This was a surprise for me. The opponent was clearly better than me but there were gaps and openings available to punish hard.
Vs Yoshi: Orange
Eggs ruin recovery along with the rising Neurtal Air. Also combos Olimar really well.
Vs Ness: Yellow/Purple? (Neutral)
Probably leans more toward Neutral. I should probably retract the Yellow attached to him.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Played vs a Marth the other day and gonna try and give some insight on that matchup. It's difficult as hell, but we already knew that.
Basically, all you want to do is get Marth above you. At low percents, try to get things going by crouch-cancelling obvious Fairs. Dtilt is a very good option as it's fast and put Marth in a bad position. At high percents, it gets a lot harder. If you're at a high percent as well you can try to bait Fsmashes and other kill moves so you can go for the kill. Dash attack to punish is also a pretty underrated option for racking up percent. Getting a grab vs. Marth is amazing, but a good Marth makes it very hard to do. If you get an opportunity, definitely take it. You can't afford to miss any punishes in this matchup.

Once you get Marth into the air on your terms, he gets destroyed, especially if he isn't watching his DI. On that note, DI mixups are really good when he's in a juggle position. When you know they're trying to DI out of an Uair juggle, Fair them instead. Flower Pikmin Fair + Bad DI = Early kill.

You want to avoid Marth's grab with every fiber of your being. Olimar's weight basically means if you ever mess up your DI, you'll get tippered and possibly killed. Marth can also juggle you just about as well as you can juggle him, so keep that in mind if you end up on platforms. This applies for every matchup, but always, ALWAYS have a Purple on hand that you can toss it at him when you're trying to get back on from the ledge. Also, if he Fairs a Pikmin, the hitlag leaves him pretty vulnerable, so if there's an undesirable Pikmin in your lineup, throwing him into Marth's sword kills two birds with one sword.

Marths edgeguarding is pretty absurd vs. Olimar, so try to conserve your doublejump and aerial Pikmin pluck to mix up your recovery. I'm not sure if this next bit works because I never bothered to try it, but using B-reversals to mix up your recovery even more is probably worth a shot.

Try to bring him to large stages, especially ones with high platforms. Dreamland is the best possible stage for this, I feel. I also like Battlefield because of how many Purple Pikmin you get. Low ceilings are also nice, but not that important.

It's pretty bad, but at least it's winnable. However, just because it's winnable doesn't mean we shouldn't complain about it until the PM Devs give us some anti-sword tools.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I haven't gotten the chance to try that. I feel like id get booped.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Went to a tourney recently and played a Falcon main, the only one in my pool (aside from KDJ lol) who could beat my Olimar. First round he went Falcon and holy **** everything Olimar has ruins Falcon. It's insane. Raptor boost gets devoured by Oli's grab, and Oli's up-smash combos the hell out of Falcon.

...Then he switched to Luigi and it didn't go so hot, so I switched to Wario in game 3.

Don't switch to Wario when facing Luigi.

Anyway, any tips about the Luigi matchup? It's not nearly as easy as say Falcon.

I probably should've stayed Olimar just to learn the matchup better, but I think if I switched to Falcon things might've gone even better in game 3, but idk. HOW DO BEAT LUIGI

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
You have disjointed hitboxes. Luigi doesn't. Space F-Airs and B-Airs. Use U-Air when you know Luigi is going to challenge you when he's above you. For the most part he still can't challenge U-Air.

A big mistake a lot of people make using any character vs Luigi is they try to combo Luigi. Don't try to combo Luigi. This match is all about single hits for you no matter who your character is.

B.W.

Smash Champion
This matchup pairs similarly to the Luigi Marth matchup actually. Olimar vs Luigi is in no way in Luigi's favor. The real issue with playing against Luigi half the time is matchup inexperience.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
This matchup pairs similarly to the Luigi Marth matchup actually. Olimar vs Luigi is in no way in Luigi's favor. The real issue with playing against Luigi half the time is matchup inexperience.
Tell me how to beat link and YL PLOX

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
["ez.™, post: 16756789, member: 225273"]Tell me how to beat link and YL PLOX[/quote]
Oh boy, those are fun matchups to play. And by fun I mean I hate them.

Honestly Link isn't terrible. If he zones a lot, move around while closing in and try to get him into the air either by punishing a whiffed ground attack or making him jump. Catch him with an U-Smash and follow his DI right and you may have a stock. Depends on the stage. When Link is AGTing, be ready to throw Pikmin at his bombs to keep him from bomb jumping. Also keep in mind that Purple goes straight through him Boomerang, so if you have a Purple try to stay close enough to hit with Purple Pikmin Throw because that's a free opening if you catch him throwing his boomerang.

T.Link is a different beast. If the T.Link player is good they will never do anything unsafe because the only moves T.Link has to use are his safe ones because they are also his good moves. He's faster than Olimar, has better projectiles than Olimar, and can actually easily edge guard Olimar. To make matters worse, he gets out of your U-Air juggles much sooner than you would expect and if he double jumps then he can pull a bomb out and cover his way back down. He can also challenge Olimars U-Air with his D-Air. He won't hit Olimar if the Pikmin is as high as it can be but he won't get hit either. Your Pikmin will just take damage. But once you get him to high damage and offstage things get a little better. If T. Link is recovering from far away all it takes is one snipe of a bomb to kill. T.Link depends on his bomb jump recovery so get good at hitting his bombs out of the air. For the most part though don't chase him offstage. His Up-B will kill you when he uses I to recover.

Also Purple goes through T.Link's boomerang too.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I've been having some trouble with the Mario and Mewtwo matchups. Any tips?

Mewtwo just outranges me and neutralizes my projectiles, Mario just seems to overwhelm me.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
It's funny you say that. I put the most time into both of those characters. What kinda of problems are you having against mario @ OddCrow OddCrow ?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Went to a tourney recently and played a Falcon main, the only one in my pool (aside from KDJ lol) who could beat my Olimar. First round he went Falcon and holy **** everything Olimar has ruins Falcon. It's insane. Raptor boost gets devoured by Oli's grab, and Oli's up-smash combos the hell out of Falcon.

...Then he switched to Luigi and it didn't go so hot, so I switched to Wario in game 3.

Don't switch to Wario when facing Luigi.

Anyway, any tips about the Luigi matchup? It's not nearly as easy as say Falcon.

I probably should've stayed Olimar just to learn the matchup better, but I think if I switched to Falcon things might've gone even better in game 3, but idk. HOW DO BEAT LUIGI
Still didn't get those friendlies :T

Anywho, general question to you guys: are your throws all like gaurenteed to follow into a free aerial vs Zard?

Been trying to get the Zard MU thread more active and asking for the opposing pt of view can help out :p

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Still didn't get those friendlies :T

Anywho, general question to you guys: are your throws all like gaurenteed to follow into a free aerial vs Zard?

Been trying to get the Zard MU thread more active and asking for the opposing pt of view can help out :p
Both down and up throw are free on pretty much everyone. Then Olimar also has some sorta cg on anyone who isn't really floaty. They have a Di trap on'em so that's fun :p

B.W.

Smash Champion
Olimar can extend his chaingrabs longer the more blue Pikmin he has. If you can help it, try to order your Pikmin so that Blue comes up at a reasonable time because it's basically an extra re-grab for whoever comes after Blue.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
...Maybe I should try Ganon.
He's my main next to Oli. I feel I can't go into a match with Oli because the matchup may literally screw me. I usually feel it out with Ganondorf but after the fixes he's sure to get I hope he can be a solid main (plz)

Top Bottom