• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar MU discussion

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I mean the eventual 3.1 or whatever we'll be getting at some point during the year. They're in no rush, but hopefully will still make fixes. I'll give it to November.

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, Oli's grab is gahlike and hard to see on some stages. What are it's weaknesses? Like, is the Marth MU hard because he can swat your grab away?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
So, Oli's grab is gahlike and hard to see on some stages. What are it's weaknesses? Like, is the Marth MU hard because he can swat your grab away?
Well, if he missed you can punish .-. I think if he is to close it'll Roy zone people an I don't think it comes out fast? You'd have to check the frame data thread for that one.

I haven't been able to play some of the higher Lv marth's in my state so I can't give a lot of input on that. I usually beat Marth tho, especially if I get a grab. I think the best thing to do against Olimar is not get grabbed at low %.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Right, but I was asking more like: is it possible to smack the pikmin who is sent out for the grab?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Right, but I was asking more like: is it possible to smack the pikmin who is sent out for the grab?
You can smack his pikmin at anytime. If their out trying to grab, if he is doing a fair, while you're combo'ing him, while he is just standing there etc. There is no time you can't hit them. You also don't have to worry about clashing with him. His move ether beats yours, or yours beats his.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
So like, any disjoint will just straight up defeat his grab
Yup
I'm sure a lot of disjoints will st8 up beat his everything. That's probably one of the reasons people say Marth is hard for Olimar.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hm, Zard and DDD should be weird for him too...

Like, sure he can combo them HARD, but then if they play it right they have pretty impressive disjoint to keep pikmin at bay as well. Also, Can DDD eat pikmin? lol

B.W.

Smash Champion
Pretty sure the Pikmin doing the grab is intangible actually. Marth can out range Olimars grab with normal attacks though.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
In regards to the Marth matchup, it's not just that. I played a tourney game with Dazwa, and he used only Marth against me and 2-0'd me super easy. I have trouble against Marth as any character I play as, but I understand why Oli specifically has such a hard time against him. You can't use distractions against Marth. Marth's whole game (when played right) is smart and patient. Olimar typically has the same style. Using that style against Marth is just asking for trouble because Marth can do it so much better. Plus, in every moment I felt like I was being outclassed. Every option Olimar has in any given situation (aside from recovery, which doesn't even matter in the matchup because Marth can gimp the **** out of it) is completely overshadowed by Marth's everything. Probably the hardest matchup I've ever played in this game. Honestly, at least in that matchup, it feels like Marth has equal game if not better from almost every angle except for being right in front of Olimar, in which his game is hilariously better than Olimar's. Oli can send Marth up and follow up well, but landing a grab is really hard, plus if you miss a grab Marth gets a free punish with his amazing grab. Oli's crazy platform advantages don't really work against Marth either because Marth can handle the platforms just as well. Idk I'm just salty.

That being said, Dazwa's really good lol

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Glad i'm not alone on this. I faced a Marth last week and got wrecked and felt like crap. But luckily it's actually a very bad matchup ... confidence regained.

B.W.

Smash Champion
And now you know why I think Marth is his worst matchup. Followed by Roy, but Roy gets combo'd and you can do big damage into kills. You can't do that to Marth. He's too floaty for it.

Then probably Fox then Ike/T.Link

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
And now you know why I think Marth is his worst matchup. Followed by Roy, but Roy gets combo'd and you can do big damage into kills. You can't do that to Marth. He's too floaty for it.

Then probably Fox then Ike/T.Link
Fox is hard, the Ike matchup is surprisingly not that bad though. Sure he can outrange you, but most of his high-range moves are slow enough to break it with a nair or something.

I love Olimar's nair dude it's like my favorite option in any situation as Olimar lol

Never done the Oli vs Tink MU though. I'd imagine it's not super hard though, especially where Oli can (kinda) throw projectiles out as distractingly as Tink can.

Link is a whole other issue though. Link is really really really hard. Not even because of the projectiles. That sword tho.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Well Jesus, thank god I can play pit x3
I don't think the fox MU is horrid, but I haven't played foxes that felt are right at my level or above me just get, so I can't give the best input yet.

I'd love to be able to destroy Tink with Olimar tho. I don't know how to go about that tho.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
I've played the new and great Lazarond. He places top 5 with T.Link every week at our weekly and last Exposure (IL Monthly gets like 45+ people) he placed I think 4th.

T.Link has more range with his projectiles, is faster than Olimar, and he's actually really hard to edgeguard. Link is a cakewalk in comparison. Honestly, Link isn't too hard to me anymore. IL = The Link Army after all. Olimar is more mobile than Link and he has less guarenteed stuff on Olimar than T.Link. His projectiles go farther than T.Link, save for the stupidly safe boomerang he throws, but they're not that hard to avoid. If you have Purples then you can just cut right through his projectiles anyway. You can also juggle Link for daaaayyyys. T.Link, not so much thanks to being floatier.

Ike is somewhat hard when your opponent likes to space N-Air and not go all in vs Olimar. Ike also has suprisingly good combos on Olimar kind of and they kill him.

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
So far I've only played against one person as olimar, and he only plays Ike. so I'll give my thoughts on that match up for now till 3.0's been out longer and can speculate on how he fares against the majorly changed characters + new characters.

Ike- good god the first few matches were hell. this goes for any character that can put on pressure well, but olimar can get crushed if you don't have a good handle on your pikmin. And even when you have your head in the game, i was never rushing down, but running away and baiting for punishes and staying in the air for on the offensive. Anyways back to Ike, one wrong move at around 70% and you're done, you're forward smash reaches far and you can use it to stuff quick draw approaches. Ike isn't a fast faller so he's pretty easy to combo once you get it going. watch out for that sword's priority and range though or you'll lose some valuable pikmin and then have to restock. Now this should be obvious that this is Olimar's weakest state, but in those few matches, I got bodied most, because Ike can apply enough pressure and keep up fast enough to try and keep you from pulling your little helpers out. Nair and dash attack get him to back off quickly, and dash attack keeps you grounded, regardless they both buy you time to pull pikmin, provided Ike is at the right percent.

Mario: (speculation, i play against mario with my other friend who mains him, but haven't specifically played as olimar yet.) fireballs will bring trouble to the table as usual, like any other character without an easy way to deal, we'll have to rely on powersheilding. Olimar's roughly the same, maybe more heavier than Toonlink (my main) so mario's combo potential on us should still be pretty good. the good news is that road goes both ways. the biggest problem with this one is going to be the cape. the pikmin throws are only gonna work if comboed into or if mario is caught off guard. this may be worse still, I'm not sure how Fsmash reacts to cape yet but it could be very big trouble.

Falco: (again, speculation.) oh boy, ok well falco can throw out hitboxes fast enough that provided you land a pikmin throw, they'll be booted off quickly.And even still, he has shine to easily reflect the pikmin back. the sheild pressure he can exert is going to be rough to deal with, as olimars grab is way to slow to catch anything falco may be doing. I suggest learning to wavedash Oos. Upsmash Oos could work well too depending on the timing.
as for lasers? well, same as fireballs really, you're gonna hate it, but you're gonna have to deal with them. Again, wavedash Oos could help approach.

well that's all for now folks.
I have been playing Olimar for a while in PM and I can tell you that the Ike v Olimar matchup is horrible for Olimar. Yes, Ike is pretty easy to combo with Olimar, but big part of Olimar's metageme are his great aerials, and when they get out prioritized by Ike's sword, it is a huge problem for Olimar. Olimar suffers against Marth for the same reason.

steelguttey

mei is bei
you should be playing completely different against sword characters than normals characters. with ike, mostly, you have to outspace him and find parts where he does unsafe moves and punish him. always end combos with him above you for resets.

Top Bottom