• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[OLD] Mario Style Dojo - Video & Critique Thread *Updated 10/11/2015*

Status
Not open for further replies.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Got a few more videos here to post. There's like, several Gamers gauntlet vids that will one day be uploaded, but they're always really slow with this. so heres some vids from another couple tournies.

First up is a few doubles vids, (the third dubs one in particular has a pretty insanely hype moment starting around 3:50, def worth seeing), other than that, just more vids for watching!

As always, if anyone notices anything I should be working on for gameplay, in particular in singles please let me know ^.^

Dubs:
Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Serge(Sheik) and Paramount(Diddy) [4/04/2015] [Button Mash Smash]

Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Falcon/Metaknight) vs Ksev(Fox) and Rayquaza(Rosalina) [4/04/2015] [Button Mash Smash]

Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Metaknight/Sonic) vs Serge(Sheik) and Paramount(Diddy) [4/04/2015] [Button Mash Smash]

Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Sonic) vs Coco(Olimar) and PzO(Diddy) [3/28/2015] [AmpItUp]

Singles:
Smasher1001(Mario) vs HyperCrasher(Luigi) [3/7/2015] [Rebirth II]

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Iceman(Zero Suit Samus) [4/04/2015] [Button Mash Smash]

Smasher1001(Mario) vs PzO(Diddy) [4/04/2015] [Button Mash Smash]

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Nom(Olimar/Sonic) [4/04/2015] [Button Mash Smash]

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
God, the Mario ditto is so annoying because Mario kinda screws over his own approaches really easily, but @ BoTastic! BoTastic! played it really well. Knew when to play solid defense and didn't really get desperate for kills.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Ironically Mario is my worst match up in this game. I hate the ditto (It's the most lethargic thing) and ROB gets rekt by Mario. It's also quite annoying with Peach too.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Man, watching your match Bo and seeing you play makes me want some more matches, seems like you've picked up a few new tricks since we last played. Can't wait for the next opportunity! Xeroxen I haven't played yet, but he's going head to head with Bo so clearly I need to get some matches in with him too somehow.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Man, watching your match Bo and seeing you play makes me want some more matches, seems like you've picked up a few new tricks since we last played. Can't wait for the next opportunity! Xeroxen I haven't played yet, but he's going head to head with Bo so clearly I need to get some matches in with him too somehow.

You both should come to smash and splash! And we'll have the most epic Mario reunion!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm already confirmed for that. Hopefully we can get the rematch haha. Hopefully by then I'll be good at this game.

Also @ S smasher1001 I'm going to be looking to go to a MI tournament sometime in the future. Haven't decided when yet, though.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
That was a damn good ditto set. I learn alot from a defensive standpoint, the spacing and reads where on point from both players.

:pow:

Last edited:

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
I've been getting back into Smash (thanks to the release of Mewtwo lol) and played some FG... Needless to say I lost... 10 times consecutively. So rather than putting the game down for another month, I came here and would love some advice. I apologize for the camera work, my phone has a very difficult time staying focused on the screen. Hopefully it shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Zero Meddler(Mario) vs nathan(Mario) [04/16/2015] [For Glory]

This was a very laggy game (of course it won't be reflected in the video) but I put it here anyway.

Zero Meddler(Mario) vs TemptestTim(Dr. Mario) [04/16/2015] [For Glory]

Zero Meddler(Mario) vs TemptestTim(Dr. Mario) [04/16/2015] [For Glory]

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Got a couple More Vids to post, this time from a tourny this past saturday! I managed to take a set off rayquaza in tournament(only 3 other people have done this in the last 6 months), and he's generally considered the 2nd best player in our state (#1 being zinoto lol), and then i fought him again in losers later on and got bopped by his rosalina. REALLY would like advice on the 1v1 matches I post today, as they're all against excellent players and I want to further myself against them. So, please be awesome and point out anything good/bad I'm doing in all of these games today please(the singles, i'm just posting the doubles for your guys viewing pleasure lol)

And without further ado, heres the vids!

Singles!: Again, reeaaaally would like any comments on these vids for improvement!

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Rayquaza(Sheik) [4/18/2015] [Rebirth III/winners R2]

Smasher1001(Mario) vs LouRich(Sonic) [4/182015] [Rebirth III/Winners Semis]

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Rayquaza(Rosalina) [4/18/2015] [Rebirth III/Losers Semis]

Dubs: Fun games

Smasher1001(Mario) and Techchase(MetaKnight) vs Nom(Sonic) and Hypercrasher(Luigi)[4/18/2015] [Rebirth III]

Smasher1001(Mario) and Techchase(MetaKnight) vs Ksev(Fox) and Rayquaza(Sheik)[4/18/2015] [Rebirth III]

Smasher1001(Mario) and Techchase(MetaKnight) vs PzO(Diddy) and DaVoice(Falcon/ToonLink)[4/18/2015] [Rebirth III]

Again, would reaaaaaallly appreciate any feedback on the singles matches. I've done the sonic/sheik matchups before, but this is literally the first time I've fought a rosaline in tourny, and im sure it shows, so help me out guys! :D

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Some sets I had at a local tournament. This was all pre-patch. Recorded off-screen with a digital camera.

FredGido (Sonic) vs Xeze (Mario) [4/11/2015] [Anicomics 2015/Winners R3]

Xeze (Mario) vs Lu (Villager) [4/11/2015] [Anicomics 2015/Losers Quarters] (the first stock of the first match wasn't recorded)

FredGido (Sonic) vs Xeze (Mario) [4/11/2015] [Anicomics 2015/Losers Semis]

Soren5 (Sheik, C. Falcon) vs Xeze (Mario) [4/11/2015] [Anicomics 2015/Losers Finals]

BigLord (C. Falcon, Bowser) vs Xeze (Mario) [4/11/2015] [Anicomics 2015/Grand Finals]

The first one I derped very hard, but then I got my "revenge" in Losers Semis. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Not much time here so I'll make it quick.

Generally your problem with this MU is catching Rosalina when Luma is gone. The majority of Rosalinas (if not all of them) will run away from you. The most optimal way for Rosalina to "buy time" is grab and throw you off the stage. This is why it's very important for Mario to cover Rosalina's options with fireballs and FLUDD and just force her to react to your safe options.

Edgeguarding Rosalina is the #1 priority for Mario. Rosalina's forward options in the air are pretty bad, and recovering low vs Mario is generally a bad idea (easy cape). You want to force Rosalina to use her double jump and then force her in a situation where she has to Up-B. Aggressive edgeguarding is key for this Match-up since Rosalina's D-air keeps Mario's juggles very frame tight and she's pretty dominant on the ground while Luma exists.

You played Game 1 pretty poorly, but Game 2 was much better. This is a MU where Mario has to play patiently. Optimally speaking, expect this MU to go to time a lot.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Not much time here so I'll make it quick.

Generally your problem with this MU is catching Rosalina when Luma is gone. The majority of Rosalinas (if not all of them) will run away from you. The most optimal way for Rosalina to "buy time" is grab and throw you off the stage. This is why it's very important for Mario to cover Rosalina's options with fireballs and FLUDD and just force her to react to your safe options.

Edgeguarding Rosalina is the #1 priority for Mario. Rosalina's forward options in the air are pretty bad, and recovering low vs Mario is generally a bad idea (easy cape). You want to force Rosalina to use her double jump and then force her in a situation where she has to Up-B. Aggressive edgeguarding is key for this Match-up since Rosalina's D-air keeps Mario's juggles very frame tight and she's pretty dominant on the ground while Luma exists.

You played Game 1 pretty poorly, but Game 2 was much better. This is a MU where Mario has to play patiently. Optimally speaking, expect this MU to go to time a lot.
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind next time I play him, it's a shame he never plays his serious chars outside of tourny to avoid having peops learn him, otherwise I really feel I could learn the matchup much faster! I personally always let anyone who wants to play my mario play, I figure if they find a way to counter me and I then find a counter to that then both players grow as a result.

So just play very cautious and nonagressive vs rosa for the most part. I'll do my best on it(though I'm known in my state for being the one money placing player whos ultra agressive XD)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So just play very cautious and nonagressive vs rosa for the most part. I'll do my best on it(though I'm known in my state for being the one money placing player whos ultra agressive XD)
Same here. It's the main reason why I absolutely despise this match-up.

However, if you get in your opponent's head you can manipulate them into allowing you to play a riskier style.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Same here. It's the main reason why I absolutely despise this match-up.

However, if you get in your opponent's head you can manipulate them into allowing you to play a riskier style.
Dood, that is what I try to do, condition and punish. That moment when you have the flow and are controlling the pace while being aggressive always feel so great ^.^

Man, I want to smash so much right now. Just reviewing my posted vids right now at work, trying to pick apart everything good and bad i did.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
So here's the most recent tourny I was in, was made just after the ending of michigans first state PR decision(I placed 8th in the state ^.^! ) As usual, trying to post all my vids for you guys to watch, hope you enjoy!

Dubs: For sweet justice!

Smasher1001(Mario) and Technology(MetaKnight) vs LouRich(Sonic) and Stewyian(Sonic)[5/2/2015] [SPAU 4/Winners Semis]

Smasher1001(Mario) and Technology(MetaKnight) vsPulse|Ori (Sheik) and Loe1(Luigi)[5/2/2015] [SPAU 4/Losers Semis]

Smasher1001(Mario) and Technology(MetaKnight) vs LouRich(Sonic) and Stewyian(Sonic)[5/2/2015] [SPAU 4/Losers Finals]

Singles: Honestly, very little singles matches, as i fought ksev in round 2 due to silly seeding(he won the tourny lol) but i made a huge comeback through losers ending with placing 4th, so heres all 3 of my recorded matches.

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Ksev(Fox) [5/2/2015] [SPAU 4/winners R1]

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Technology(Metaknight) [5/2/2015] [SPAU 4/losers R2]

Smasher1001(Mario) vs *****(Toon Link) [5/2/2015] [SPAU 4/Losers Semis R7]

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Played some 1v1s against a friend and would love to know what you all think of my mario. Please let me know : ) Enjoy!

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, fatal here!
I have been on hiatus with regards to the Mario breakdown series, due to the disc actually breaking lol. So after a few months I'm back and will start my series with episode 3 very soon!

PrimeKing

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm new this forum but I would *really* appreciate some feedback!
I played a best of 3 ranked match on Anthers Ladder against another Mario (so Mario vs Mario dittos), I'm the black costume Mario with the tag "32Q".
Anyways, here are the videos, looking for feedback/constructive criticism here please and thanks! :)

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
Anyways, here are the videos, looking for feedback/constructive criticism here please and thanks! :)
First of all, congratulations for winning the match. I focused mainly on the second video for the following notes.

Possible Areas of Improvement
  • 0:08 - Excessive use of smashes at some points of the video. A few of his punishes came from the forward smashes you would throw out. F-Smash is one of Mario's earliest kill moves, but can be very laggy and easy to punish at times. so use it with caution. However, it can put fear into the opponent.
  • 0:24 - The opponent stuffed your approach a few times in the video with a back air. One of the safer options to try for approaches is to run up and shield. It shouldn't be abused, but just keep it in mind.
  • 1:53 - Neutral air approaches can be dangerous, especially when the opponent is at low percents. However, it can also be rewarding at mid to high percents with various combos available. You may want to mix it up with a d-air approach, which many people note is a fairly safe move when it is not predicted.
  • 2:04 - Dash attacks are used frequently in the video. When used sparingly, dash attacks can be a healthy mix up to catch the opponent off guard, but be careful. From my understanding, Mario has a difficult time responding to another Mario's dash attack. This may not be true depending on the challenger.
  • 2:05 - N-air (and I think up-b) would have stopped this string. I don't know if you were attempting to avoid a read on his part, but I'm just making sure you are aware.
  • 2:18 - Forward air is a dangerous move when the opponent is not at a disadvantage. I wouldn't make a habit out of using it when attempting to get back on stage or in the neutral game.
  • 2:31 - I notice a lot of whiffs when using up smash in this matchup. Small characters, and characters that are temporarily smaller than normal can potentially avoid the head on up-smash. If I am correct, it is much harder for the character to avoid backwards up-smashes. Consider looking into backwards jump-cancelled up-smashes.
  • 2:45 - Unless you expect the opponent to approach in this situation, I wouldn't roll right into him.
  • 3:57 - Get up attacks are easily punishable when read.
Overall good job. I wish I had more time to point out the positives, but I hoped this helped you in some way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom