• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[OLD] Mario Style Dojo - Video & Critique Thread *Updated 10/11/2015*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Still down to play every once and a while. If anyone is down for some matches, I'm down!

CleanOgre

Smash Cadet
NNID
CleanOgre

Here's an edgeguard I got while playing on Smash Ladder, I would say I went pretty deep for it.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's that time again to make a huge update.

With the new patch, I'll be reorganizing the list to archive everything pre 1.1.1. Due to my recently ended hiatus, there's a huge list of videos that would have to be added to the OP and frankly that's more work than necessary.

In about a week I'll be locking this thread and making a new thread that'll be for 1.1.1 and onwards. If anyone wants their 1.1.0 videos on the front page, now would be the time to post them so I can add it the archive.

bwc

Smash Rookie
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some critique and advice to help me improve. Unfortunately I only have one video of my play that I can post, which was streamed for a tournament that I went to recently where I got 17th place. The link is http://www.twitch.tv/datteamlive/v/18917773 (my game starts 3 hours and 49 minutes into the stream).

Other than when I choked and threw away my last stock on game 2, is there anything that I obviously did wrong and is there anything that I should add or remove from my play? I feel like I'm fundamentally lacking something or doing something wrong that keeps me from getting better placings. Thanks in advance.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Highlights:

B bwc I'll look at your match later, hopefully next morning.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
So Hero, you don't plan on arching all of the 1.1.0 vids in an archive on the vid post you'll be making, just the one people want? If it's just specific ones people want, then can you include the vid i'm posting below vs esam?(I'd look for a couple other good ones to add as well later)

On a seperate note, I've 2 more vids!

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Carbuncle(Rosalina) [10/2/2015-10/4/2015] [Big House 5]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs ESAM(Pikachu) [10/2/2015-10/4/2015] [Big House 5]

Would love any and all commentary, in particular vs esam since that was a high profile match!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The link is http://www.twitch.tv/datteamlive/v/18917773 (my game starts 3 hours and 49 minutes into the stream).

Other than when I choked and threw away my last stock on game 2, is there anything that I obviously did wrong and is there anything that I should add or remove from my play? I feel like I'm fundamentally lacking something or doing something wrong that keeps me from getting better placings. Thanks in advance.
Generally you need to improve on your spacing, and your decision-making while in a negative state. The Pit player got an overwhelming majority of his damage while you were off stage or while you were above him. To me, it seems you were trying too hard to land a hit, instead of prioritizing getting back stage control and resetting to neutral.

In simpler terms, you need to take your time. You and the Pit player were knocking each other silly the entire time, and that typically falls into Pit's favor because he has the better range, and the better damage per hit. It's okay to sit back and assess the player.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So Hero, you don't plan on arching all of the 1.1.0 vids in an archive on the vid post you'll be making, just the one people want?
This is correct. I'll add your vs ESAM fight to this list. Just tag me if you want any more archived.

bwc

Smash Rookie
Generally you need to improve on your spacing, and your decision-making while in a negative state. The Pit player got an overwhelming majority of his damage while you were off stage or while you were above him. To me, it seems you were trying too hard to land a hit, instead of prioritizing getting back stage control and resetting to neutral.

In simpler terms, you need to take your time. You and the Pit player were knocking each other silly the entire time, and that typically falls into Pit's favor because he has the better range, and the better damage per hit. It's okay to sit back and assess the player.
Thanks! I have been told that I'm a bit too aggressive when I play... I guess I prefer to counter-attack rather than passively returning to neutral, and that only works if my opponent spaces incorrectly or I make a read.
I have a couple of questions; in the situation where a fast character is trying to land an USmash or a grab for the KO and he pops me up in the air, how do I land safely - are there any mixups or tools that I should know about? Also, I find myself getting punished for my choice of ledge getup options fairly regularly, should I be trying to out-read my opponent in this situation as or is there something more that I can do?
Thanks again :)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
in the situation where a fast character is trying to land an USmash or a grab for the KO and he pops me up in the air, how do I land safely - are there any mixups or tools that I should know about?
There are three "basic" options.

-Save your double jump, and when you see your opponent commit to an option, use your double jump to juke around them.
-Air dodge when you see your opponent commit to an attack.
-Go for the ledge.

Going for the ledge is the safest option, but it still puts you in a disadvantaged state. The former two options gives you immediate control when you land.

On top of this, you can B-reverse fireballs to shift momentum, cape stall, and use D-air to punish poorly spaced attacks. Overall you have to study what options your opponent has and decide which option is the best to take.

Also, I find myself getting punished for my choice of ledge getup options fairly regularly, should I be trying to out-read my opponent in this situation as or is there something more that I can do?
Thanks again :)
Out-reading your opponent is all you can really do. Being on the ledge is a disadvantageous position for any character that isn't Wii Fit Trainer due to your limited options. For Mario, you can ledge-drop > D-air cross-up if your opponent is too close to the edge, and that can give you immediate stage control. Just keep in mind if they see it coming, they can still punish it.

Just try to mix up all the options you have to keep your opponent guessing.

bwc

Smash Rookie
OK thanks for all of your advice HeroMystic, I'll take away everything you've told me and watch through some of my games to see where I can apply it. Hopefully next time I appear on stream I'll play much better and maybe even win, and then I can post the video here again to see if it's good enough for the front page :)

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
ANTi(Mario/WFT) vs ZeRo(Shiek) [The Big House 5] [10/4/2015]

Anyone who hasn't seen this on stream needs to watch this ASAP.

Has some of the greatest Mario play I've ever seen, and there is a lot to learn. Do not miss this.
You said it yourself, months ago, that if Anti would play Smash 4 regularly he would be the best Mario. This set is the proof.

Steroidism

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Zenyou here! I have another video to show you guys. It's my video showcasing some unique Mario combos and kill confirms that I found out in the lab! Check it out and improve your game even more! <3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom