• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[OLD] Mario Style Dojo - Video & Critique Thread *Updated 10/11/2015*

Status
Not open for further replies.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
I've decided that every Tuesday JST (Monday for everyone else), I'll drop a new video on Mario. The new video will showcase Aiba (one of Japans best Yoshi players) defeating me, but I will break down in more detail throughout the video.

See you then!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've decided that every Tuesday JST (Monday for everyone else), I'll drop a new video on Mario. The new video will showcase Aiba (one of Japans best Yoshi players) defeating me, but I will break down in more detail throughout the video.

See you then!
Do you have a playlist on your channel? If so, I can drop it on the front page.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Just got done with shuffle yesterday, will post the vids that got recorded once I find out where they got uploaded. Sadly none of my losses were recorded (you know, the ones where i can ask for what i screwed up on? lol) but the ones i do have showcase some fun stuff i did. Also got to play xeroxen. No recordings sadly, but they were fun matches, both in and out of tourney!

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

PrimeKing

Smash Rookie
First of all, congratulations for winning the match. I focused mainly on the second video for the following notes.

Possible Areas of Improvement
  • 0:08 - Excessive use of smashes at some points of the video. A few of his punishes came from the forward smashes you would throw out. F-Smash is one of Mario's earliest kill moves, but can be very laggy and easy to punish at times. so use it with caution. However, it can put fear into the opponent.
  • 0:24 - The opponent stuffed your approach a few times in the video with a back air. One of the safer options to try for approaches is to run up and shield. It shouldn't be abused, but just keep it in mind.
  • 1:53 - Neutral air approaches can be dangerous, especially when the opponent is at low percents. However, it can also be rewarding at mid to high percents with various combos available. You may want to mix it up with a d-air approach, which many people note is a fairly safe move when it is not predicted.
  • 2:04 - Dash attacks are used frequently in the video. When used sparingly, dash attacks can be a healthy mix up to catch the opponent off guard, but be careful. From my understanding, Mario has a difficult time responding to another Mario's dash attack. This may not be true depending on the challenger.
  • 2:05 - N-air (and I think up-b) would have stopped this string. I don't know if you were attempting to avoid a read on his part, but I'm just making sure you are aware.
  • 2:18 - Forward air is a dangerous move when the opponent is not at a disadvantage. I wouldn't make a habit out of using it when attempting to get back on stage or in the neutral game.
  • 2:31 - I notice a lot of whiffs when using up smash in this matchup. Small characters, and characters that are temporarily smaller than normal can potentially avoid the head on up-smash. If I am correct, it is much harder for the character to avoid backwards up-smashes. Consider looking into backwards jump-cancelled up-smashes.
  • 2:45 - Unless you expect the opponent to approach in this situation, I wouldn't roll right into him.
  • 3:57 - Get up attacks are easily punishable when read.
Overall good job. I wish I had more time to point out the positives, but I hoped this helped you in some way.
Hey, thanks! I appreciate the feedback, I will try to take all of this into consideration in the future. I always find it difficult to choose how I should get back on stage from the ledge. Also you said to look into "backwards jump-cancelled up-smashes," how would I go about doing that?

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
Hey, thanks! I appreciate the feedback, I will try to take all of this into consideration in the future. I always find it difficult to choose how I should get back on stage from the ledge. Also you said to look into "backwards jump-cancelled up-smashes," how would I go about doing that?
Jump-cancelled up smash

While moving one direction, turn the other direction. Then press jump and immediately perform an up smash to cancel the turn around animation.

This is what is should look like except with Mario instead of Fox.

By the way, that first video I posted had some out of shield information that I didn't know about. I suggest everyone check it out just in case they don't know it.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone!
Fatal here back again, with yet another episode in the weekly smash fundamentals series. In this episode I discuss the importance of matchup knowledge and frame data understanding. I hope you all find it informative and motivates you to level up your game!

Below is the entire playlist so far.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW3zvNB_3xYADV5LNixW4Tkvl3HsAKBPA

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey, sadly only got 1 vid on stream for singles for this past event, though it was a hype set. I wanted my match vs ally streamed but they were tight on time and told us to do it off stream to speed up the tourney. had 111 entrants for singles and 36 teams at this one.

Dubs:
Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Stewy(sheik) and SpartaKick(Shulk) [6/08/2015] [Rebirth IV]
Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Rayquaza(Rosaluma) and Ryuga(Ike) [6/08/2015] [Rebirth IV]
Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs LouRich(Sonic) and Loe1(Luigi) [6/08/2015] [Rebirth IV]

Singles:

Smasher1001(Mario) vs JJRocket(Diddy) [6/08/2015] [Rebirth IV]

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
And here we are at episode 5 of the smash fundamentals series. This time we focus a lot on making the right adjustments to your opponent, and capitalizing when possible.

BSP

Smash Legend
BSP (Mario) and Bman1K (Sonic) vs Astro! (Luigi/Falcon) and Matthew Combo (Mario/Falcon) [6/06/15] [LUST II]
http://www.twitch.tv/gzlrgzlr/b/666503505

At around 1:57:09.

I've been focusing on Pac-Man for singles, but I still use Mario in teams. Got a few Fair confirms off of Sonic's throws.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet

This video is merely a discussion, but more importantly discuss the core fundamental aspect of any fighting game: Training mode. I go into detail as to why its extremely useful, and why more smash content should be focused more around it, and not just matches..

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli

I apologize in advanced for sluggish games. I haven't adapted to playing faster while playing smarter.

The focus here was on spacing against people with greater ranges.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Seems like Shuffle VI will never post thier vids which is lame as all hell, there was some awesome matches I'd been on stream for. I went to smash n splash awhile back june 13-14(customs were on so i used them in singles, im nowhere near practiced with them enough though) For Dubs I did full default mario as me and Techs metaknights Fluddnado combo is actually worse with high pressure fludd and can't be used at all if I used scalding fludd.

Dubs:
Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Chibo(Rob) and Gunblade(D.Pit/Ganon) [6/14/2015] [Smash N Splash]
Smasher1001(Mario) and ZTD | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Ganon The Beast(Ganon) and Prince Kirby(Kirby) [6/14/2015] [Smash N Splash]

Singles:
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Zstorm(Sonic) [6/14/2015] [Smash N Splash]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs JJRocket(Diddy) [6/14/2015] [Smash N Splash]

BSP

Smash Legend
All of these matches are from The People's Tournament II, 7/4/15 - 7/5/15

http://www.twitch.tv/lsusmash/b/675397587

BSP (Mario) and Bman1K (Sonic) vs Astro=! (Luigi) and Matthew Combo (Mario) [07/04/2015][Tournament] : ~22:00

Nice set. I SD going for a spike and it almost cost us the game. I need to work on my Mario control.

BSP (Mario/Pac-Man) and Bman1K (Sonic) vs Samsora (Peach) and Captain Zack (Peach) [07/04/2015][Tournament] : ~50:00

That set was destruction :( . Both Brawlman and myself has expressed concerns over fighting peach in singles, so imagine our annoyance when we ran into double peach in teams lol. Could use some advice on this one. Actually, game 1 was pretty close. 2 was a 3 stock. 3 was down to the wire....hmm, maybe if we made it back to grands, we could've taken it.

BSP (Mario) and Bman1K (Sonic) vs Sethlon (Roy) and Denti (Yoshi) [07/04/2015][Tournament] : ~1:45:00

This was a nice set. Some key mistakes on our part prevented us from taking it though. I almost made that comeback, and upon looking at the match from spectator perspective, I think I could've Dsmashed or Dash attacked Denti while he was sitting on the ledge for the win. Oh well.

I only used Mario in one game in singles vs. Sheik. My Mario was way too rusty to stand a chance unfortunately. I may go back to him as a primary main because I don't think Pac-Man can handle Sheik at all.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Went to Canadas Exp 2015 event(first time in canada too). Ended up taking 7th in singles and 4th in doubles here. Had some really good games while here. Had a hype ditto set with blacktwins in tournament, along with some other matches including one vs M2K. Doubles sets were also awesome and worth watching if you're into those :p I feel like I often over-respect diddys options, and with rosa its just our only good rosa never plays friendlies with her, only tourny matches so my matchup exp is pretty limited there.

Order of matches is from top to bottom, top being earlier and bottom being furthest in singes and dubs.

Dubs:
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Dreamm(Rosaluma) and Chance(Megaman) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs EMG Blacktwins(Mario) and Astro(Lucario) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs DFS Hammond(Peach) and Afrodesiak(Donkey Kong) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Blitz(Mario/Ike) and LoF Xatic(C.falcon/Fox) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Culex(Falcon) and Meekspeedy(Sonic) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Chrim Foish(Diddy) and Poke(Luigi) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]

Singles:
Smasher1001(Mario) vs EMG Blacktwins(Mario) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs EGE Chrim Foish(Diddy) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs PhillyCheeze(Diddy) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Mew2King(Rosalina) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Went to Canadas Exp 2015 event(first time in canada too). Ended up taking 7th in singles and 4th in doubles here. Had some really good games while here. Had a hype ditto set with blacktwins in tournament, along with some other matches including one vs M2K. Doubles sets were also awesome and worth watching if you're into those :p I feel like I often over-respect diddys options, and with rosa its just our only good rosa never plays friendlies with her, only tourny matches so my matchup exp is pretty limited there.

Order of matches is from top to bottom, top being earlier and bottom being furthest in singes and dubs.

Dubs:
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Dreamm(Rosaluma) and Chance(Megaman) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs EMG Blacktwins(Mario) and Astro(Lucario) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs DFS Hammond(Peach) and Afrodesiak(Donkey Kong) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Blitz(Mario/Ike) and LoF Xatic(C.falcon/Fox) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Culex(Falcon) and Meekspeedy(Sonic) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) and Pulse | TECHnology(Metaknight) vs Chrim Foish(Diddy) and Poke(Luigi) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]

Singles:
Smasher1001(Mario) vs EMG Blacktwins(Mario) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs EGE Chrim Foish(Diddy) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs PhillyCheeze(Diddy) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Mew2King(Rosalina) [7/04/2015] [Exp 2015]
Will comment on vs Rosalina.

First mistake: you probably shouldn't have gone to Battlefield. Especially not against someone like Rosalina who has really good coverage above her.

Your next critical mistake was you went for a fireball rather than getting to the ground. This put you in a really bad position as M2K was ready to powershield this and get under you to put pressure. You also messed up jumping out of shield on the platform as you tried to escape.

You needed to pay better attention to M2K's movements when you were recovering. Take 0:48 for instance. When M2K jumped, your best option at this point was to quickly jump and go for a higher recovery to intercept him with Up-B. 1:57 you wasted your midair jump for no reason to recover high while M2K was still sitting on the stage, and got gimped for it. Things like that you just can't be careless about.

Your approach is a bit telegraphed and too aggressive, which M2K was ready to punish most of the time. To give an obvious example of a situation you could have played very differently on reaction, at around 1:08, you were approaching with fullhop B-air, but you had time to observe M2K was retreating with a short hop facing backwards. You could for instance B reverse Fireball completely safely, which would likely punish M2K's landing for some chip damage. Just in general, I felt like you were rushing in too much, and M2K was generally ready to respond to this. He's historically a defensive player, and rushing in predictably is what he wants you to do.

Around 1:48 was an ideal position to attempt F-air (M2K's only option to survive this would be to airdodge, but he doesn't have the same reaction time as other professional level players). Around 1:51, why did you get up from the ledge? Even with his jump, M2K couldn't really reach you with any aerials, and staying on the ledge could have given you an opportunity to at least try to N-air M2K.

Other random thing I felt in this match is in XeroXen's words, use more Up-B. The way M2K spaced in general with aerials left him open to being punished by Up-B in a fair number of situations, and on BF especially this is something you want to try to abuse here and there. By forcing M2K to play more of a grounded game, you would have more opportunities to properly get in with either D-air or B-throw to secure some control in the matchup.

Now game 2, I don't completely agree with landing with D-air, but it worked so props. 3:31, you really just got cheesed because you just seemed to not be aware of that shenanigan. You really just gotta pay attention to movements, and know that sometimes when recovering you gotta react with Up-B to anti-air someone when they move in position. Especially against Rosalina who is floaty, she's less likely to punish you on hit for landing Up-B at low percents. As a player, I also hate spotdodging, and given that U-smash read M2K did around 5:37, I suggest you ask yourself if you really had any reason to consider spotdodging (obviously to avoid grab, but considering how much damage you had, was it really a wise choice in the first place?). And you lost your last stock with an apparently panicked fullhop (fullhops aren't bad vs Rosa, but I felt like for much of the set you made fairly poor use of them).

Don't have much to comment on game 3 given you still lost to offstage shenanigans. Anyhow in summation, you really have to play your recovery better and be more patient in neutral.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Will comment on vs Rosalina.

First mistake: you probably shouldn't have gone to Battlefield. Especially not against someone like Rosalina who has really good coverage above her.

Your next critical mistake was you went for a fireball rather than getting to the ground. This put you in a really bad position as M2K was ready to powershield this and get under you to put pressure. You also messed up jumping out of shield on the platform as you tried to escape.

You needed to pay better attention to M2K's movements when you were recovering. Take 0:48 for instance. When M2K jumped, your best option at this point was to quickly jump and go for a higher recovery to intercept him with Up-B. 1:57 you wasted your midair jump for no reason to recover high while M2K was still sitting on the stage, and got gimped for it. Things like that you just can't be careless about.

Your approach is a bit telegraphed and too aggressive, which M2K was ready to punish most of the time. To give an obvious example of a situation you could have played very differently on reaction, at around 1:08, you were approaching with fullhop B-air, but you had time to observe M2K was retreating with a short hop facing backwards. You could for instance B reverse Fireball completely safely, which would likely punish M2K's landing for some chip damage. Just in general, I felt like you were rushing in too much, and M2K was generally ready to respond to this. He's historically a defensive player, and rushing in predictably is what he wants you to do.

Around 1:48 was an ideal position to attempt F-air (M2K's only option to survive this would be to airdodge, but he doesn't have the same reaction time as other professional level players). Around 1:51, why did you get up from the ledge? Even with his jump, M2K couldn't really reach you with any aerials, and staying on the ledge could have given you an opportunity to at least try to N-air M2K.

Other random thing I felt in this match is in XeroXen's words, use more Up-B. The way M2K spaced in general with aerials left him open to being punished by Up-B in a fair number of situations, and on BF especially this is something you want to try to abuse here and there. By forcing M2K to play more of a grounded game, you would have more opportunities to properly get in with either D-air or B-throw to secure some control in the matchup.

Now game 2, I don't completely agree with landing with D-air, but it worked so props. 3:31, you really just got cheesed because you just seemed to not be aware of that shenanigan. You really just gotta pay attention to movements, and know that sometimes when recovering you gotta react with Up-B to anti-air someone when they move in position. Especially against Rosalina who is floaty, she's less likely to punish you on hit for landing Up-B at low percents. As a player, I also hate spotdodging, and given that U-smash read M2K did around 5:37, I suggest you ask yourself if you really had any reason to consider spotdodging (obviously to avoid grab, but considering how much damage you had, was it really a wise choice in the first place?). And you lost your last stock with an apparently panicked fullhop (fullhops aren't bad vs Rosa, but I felt like for much of the set you made fairly poor use of them).

Don't have much to comment on game 3 given you still lost to offstage shenanigans. Anyhow in summation, you really have to play your recovery better and be more patient in neutral.
Yeah, really just need to get someone who can give me some consistent top level rosaluma practice so i can put what you've pointed out into practice, thanks for the analysis! I do tend to be extremely aggressive normally for some reason, i know it's not ideal though. Usually im able to do so and find ways to work around it. But a few chars such as rosa, luigi and diddy for some reason I just cannot wrap my head around. I do think you're right with me just needing to work on my patience though. I do tend to play moderate level players alot rather than top level players who can punish me properly, so I think that it leads to be a bit of an opening from me on a subconscious autopilot level.

Thanks again though for the advice ^.^

Last edited:

gimpleader

Smash Cadet
A Montage video that I made. It does feature Mario a couple of times. I do play quite a bit of Mario, so feel free to sub to my channel to see when those videos come out!

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
I uploaded this using the Youtube upload feature. As you can see, it's just me and my friends having fun, nothing tournament-level here.

FarsiX

Smash Rookie

My quick mario troll montage. ( ͡◉ ͜ʖ ͡◉) I got to play with Mario for the past few days, I definitely agree that Mario isn't flashy flash but he has a ton of untapped potential.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Been a while since I been on here but i figured i should drop a major dump with my sets on here showing me doing good, getting bopped, and all that other good stuff.
Some of these are old (Customs On) but these are all throughout the 2015 summer till now

JUNE 13TH BLOODMOON (NorCal Regional):
Teb vs 6WX :4sonic: - https://youtu.be/XST1XKkgGHU?t=1h27m56s

Teb vs Plz! Info :4luigi: - https://youtu.be/qsEDmo3lZsM?t=1h11m34s

Teb vs Swarm | DSS :4ness:/:4diddy: - https://youtu.be/qsEDmo3lZsM?t=1h18m41s

JULY 28TH SMASH ODYSSEY W7 (Local):
Teb vs BKO | Legit :4diddy: - https://youtu.be/nujfzFMU2Ao?t=1h27m7s

Teb vs Soulimar :4olimar: - https://youtu.be/nujfzFMU2Ao?t=1h41m19s

Teb vs Shaky :4ness: - https://youtu.be/nujfzFMU2Ao?t=1h53m24s

Teb vs BKO | Boringman :4fox: - https://youtu.be/nujfzFMU2Ao?t=3h12m12s

AUGUST 4TH SMASH ODYSSEY W8 (Local):

Teb vs BKO | Legit :4diddy: - https://youtu.be/HA2P0duQ3xM?t=15m11s

Teb vs SiN | Trevonte:4sheik: - https://youtu.be/HA2P0duQ3xM?t=43m37s (Winners Semis)

Teb vs BKO Virus :4rob: - https://youtu.be/HA2P0duQ3xM?t=1h6m10s

Teb vs SiN | Trevonte :4sheik: - https://youtu.be/HA2P0duQ3xM?t=2h15s (Losers Finals)

I have more A BUNCH more matches that I can't find on YT/Streamed but this will do. Sorry for the spam lol

Last edited:

TheSteveEngine

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSteveEngine
3DS FC
3909-7548-2082
Hello. This thread seems to be a bit more on the serious side, but I do hope you enjoy a goofy Mario montage I put together.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
An awesome Mario montage I found on youtube.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Posted this on the general video thread, no one replied.
I want critique for my :4mario:, and I'll see if I can get any other videos up.

Steroidism

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! This is Zenyou! The guy who plays on twitch.tv/fadgames ! I'm here to tell you guys that a huuuuge Mario montage/combo video is incoming! It's intended as being the next big thing for our famous plumber, being the successor to the "Do the Mario" series in Brawl. Although it's pretty short, I really hope you guys enjoy it. I'm planning on releasing the real thing in the upcoming months.
I really hope to have Mario players who do well in their own region have an appearance in my video. The intent is to highlight what Mario is capable of and to keep breaking the bar on what he can do with all his buffed tools in Smash 4. To me, representing this character as much as possible and making the video the best it could possibly be would give me, and certainly many others much joy. Those of you who are interested in supporting, I absolutely appreciate it all! <3

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Zenyou in the house! Welcome to the boards. Nice to have more top caliber Mario players here :D
You earned yourself a sub. Looking forward for that montage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom