• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[OLD] Mario Style Dojo - Video & Critique Thread *Updated 10/11/2015*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haahp

Smash Rookie
Duuuuuude. That was awesome! Shoutout to Rice.

Playing that cotton candy Mario cuz his game is so sweet.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
My god...

How in the world did I miss this?

Just... good lord.
Those super low recoveries that Silentspectre started doing are prime targets to FLUDD underneath the stage.

Otherwise good stuff from Rice. He did miss a FLUDD KO though.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
That Mario was sick! Those u-air strings are sexy

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Got a few more of my videos to post here. These are from Gamers Gauntlet # 4, which is awhile ago, and I've def improved since then I feel, but still, more vids for you guys to watch! Gamers Gauntlet 4 was also the first time I fought LOE1 and you can see how i improved vs him in the gamers for giving video vs LOE1(though the vid was mislabled as rog), though I still lost and felt sloppy that day from lack of sleep =.= I'll post Gamers Gauntlet 5 and 6 videos once they're each fully uploaded as well, and then you guys can see my progress in motion, hope you enjoy these/those when i post them!

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Rog(Diddy/Villager) [1/25/2015] [Tournament:Gamers Gauntlet # 4 Winners Round 2]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Nom(Lucario) [1/25/2015] [Tournament:Gamers Gauntlet # 4 Winners Round 4]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Ksev(Fox) [1/25/2015] [Tournament:Gamers Gauntlet # 4 Winners Finals]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Loe1(Pit) [1/25/2015] [Tournament:Gamers Gauntlet # 4 Grand Finals]

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Pit is interesting to fight because he's kinda like Mario in a couple ways.
I'll defer to better players for criticism

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I played a match in an online tournament yesterday on Max Ketchum's channel. Twitch vod link is below
www.twitch.tv/maxketchum/b/635269936?t=1h18m44s

Lag was super bad so you're not going to see too much revolutionary stuff here but I'm always happy to post and watch Mario play. I thought I did a good job of camping out a Pac-Man with Fireball 1 but my ability to use cape properly was pretty limited because of the connection. Also it was a customs tournament but I went all default. (I actually beat Mario who used Gust Cape and HP Fludd off stream in a later match).

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, fatal here :)
I've created a youtube series focusing on a variety of different philosophies that will help players level up their game! Here's my Mario in action! I fight with Amsa, and TANI neko from time to time online so hopefully you guys can stop by the stream and check out the training sessions :)

I do live in Japan as well, so if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message anytime!

Fataldmg

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@ NualphaJPN NualphaJPN

That's actually a pretty good video and helpful for many beginners. I'll add that to the Misc. list. If you talk about Mario some more in your videos, feel free to drop it here.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Hey everyone, fatal here :)
I've created a youtube series focusing on a variety of different philosophies that will help players level up their game! Here's my Mario in action! I fight with Amsa, and TANI neko from time to time online so hopefully you guys can stop by the stream and check out the training sessions :)

I do live in Japan as well, so if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message anytime!

Fataldmg

Good stuff, I've seen you on Retrogaijin's stream as well.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Double Posts merged
Good stuff, I've seen you on Retrogaijin's stream as well.
Thank you padwarrior :). I'll continue to make more videos which demonstrate more fundamental principles with Mario (and other chars), while implementing some more advanced strategies to boost up the mind games.

@ NualphaJPN NualphaJPN

That's actually a pretty good video and helpful for many beginners. I'll add that to the Misc. list. If you talk about Mario some more in your videos, feel free to drop it here.
Absolutely Hero :). I will be making a lot more videos once I sit down and analyze more of my gameplay throughout the sets I play. Quality is important, so I want to make sure that what I present is thorough and most importantly accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Got 2 more vids, this time from Gamers Gauntlet # 5. One is vs Anther(oh my, a recognizable name!) and the other is vs a luigi named hypercrasher. for reference, we just did GG#7 this past weekend, so the uploader is finally catching up to more currentish stuff(2 GG tournies a month).

Smasher1001(Mario) vs Anther(Pikachu) [2/08/2015] [GGSS#5 Winners Finals]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs HyperCrasher(Luigi) [2/08/2015] [GGSS#5 Grand Finals]

On a seperate note, I just decided to swap some of my controls around(making L jump, R shield and X/Y grab, from using L for shield, X for jump and R for nothing really) so that I could abuse Up-B/Upsmash OOS options, which I've completely and fully 100% ignored until...3 days ago? lol. So I look forward to implementing those as i try to readjust to my new controls(which would be from GG# 8 and onward)

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
So Ally won against Nairo in this tournament's Grand Finals. Too bad he had to use Diddy in the very last game. Still, in the first 3 games he crushed Nairo.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Okay so.

Despite me being totally embarassed by my videos I'mma post them here. These are in the span of the beginning to Feb to now, and I just haven't posted them because I'm scared I wanted enough material to look at. I'm sure a decent amount of people have wanted to look at my Mario so here it is. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

HeroMystic(Mario) vs RatHerder(Link/ROB) [2/12/2015] [LOS #5]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs Valdens(Luigi) [2/12/2015] [LOS #5]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs Jopan(Sheik/Rosalina) [2/16/2015] [Ultra Arcade Weekly #5]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs Castro(Bowser Jr/Peach) [2/19/2015] [LOS #6]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs Speedy(Shiek) [3/8/2015] [Ultra Arcade Weekly #8]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs Megafox(Fox) [3/8/2015] [Ultra Arcade Weekly #8] [Customs]

I really want critique on my Mario, so I hope everyone can pitch in. I mostly recommend vs Jopan and vs Castro.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I paid special attention to the one with customs, since they are a hot topic right now. And based on your matches, plus my recent experience with customs, I'm starting to see a turnoff in using EJP. The landing is not as controllable as with the regular SJP, which leaves a big opening for punishes. It's a great kill move and all that, but I don't know if the pros outweigh the cons.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Gonna be honest, I was mostly screwing around with Megafox that match because I knew I wasn't going to win.

That said, EJP has it's place but outside of early kills, SJP is superior in every way. If you're taking EJP you're planning on killing very early, otherwise you've just wasted a customs slot.

It is a fun move though.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
So Ally won against Nairo in this tournament's Grand Finals. Too bad he had to use Diddy in the very last game. Still, in the first 3 games he crushed Nairo.
Saw this yesterday! Ally is my current Mario inspiration in this game (alongside Jumpman and Nyani) he makes nearly unbelievable things and I try to do my best.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! Fatal here dropping another episode of Layin' the sm4shdown!
I hope this second video gives new mario players some detail on how to develop a strong game plan before hopping into matches, etc. I was playing a game and watch, which after some time fell into a pattern, then I punched him off the screen.
Check me out on twitch sometime :).
Enjoy!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ultra Arcade doesn't have a youtube so I'm forced to timestamp twitch.

These just happened [3/15/2015], and I really, really want critique on these. I'm pretty much begging everyone for input because I really want to improve.

HeroMystic(Mario) vs MegaFox(Fox) [3/15/2015] [Ultra Arcade #9] [Customs]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs Jax(Sonic) [3/15/2015] [Ultra Arcade #9] [Customs]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs HTK Krebs(Shulk/Villager) [3/15/2015] [Ultra Arcade #9] [Customs]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs MikEffect(Ness) [3/15/2015] [Ultra Arcade #9] [Customs]
HeroMystic(Mario) vs BC(Villager) [3/15/2015] [Ultra Arcade #9] [Customs]

The most important one is vs MegaFox imo. Almost, mute the stream unless you watch me vs BC. The commentary is horrible because they were also calling out matches and talking about irrelevant stuff.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I think you should try to improve more your off-stage game. There were some situations where you could've either caped or hit Fox with b-air when he uses Fire Fox to recover. Mario has some degrees of freedom when going offstage, don't be afraid of doing so.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Guys, if you're looking to see some super-solid Mario play, I do suggest you look at XeroXen's videos. If you thought Rice's Mario was impressive, Xero's makes him pale in comparison.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Yo XeroXen, those were some impressive matches. Your Mario is spot on!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
XeroXen(Mario) vs Bajef(Ganondorf/G&W) [3/7/2015] [The Early Bird Special]
XeroXen(Mario) vs SofaKing(Luigi) [3/7/2015] [The Early Bird Special]
XeroXen(Mario) vs VillageMascot(Luigi) [3/7/2015] [The Early Bird Special]

These were the only videos I got recorded at the tournament a few weeks ago. Any comments/critique on my play would be much appreciated.
I didn't completely understand the spotdodges against Luigi. Then again, I almost never spotdodge in my own playstyle.

I'm pretty sure though you're already aware the good conservative ways to cover opposing spotdodges are generally D-air, N-air (if they're not really short) and autoJab, and on harder reads you can simply run up and charge U-smash for a bit. I felt like you were too afraid at times to punish VillageMascot for committing to spotdodge when he clearly was conditioned to avoid your grab that way.

I still can't get over how borderline troll your playstyle is though. It's super hilarious to watch and play against.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The spotdodge habit probably came from melee pools. They had me transitioning between games which really hurt my play, and running up spotdodge isn't something I often do either so I actually did cringe when I watched that set.

I think by game 3 of that set I had stopped doing it as much (as far as I remember). I probably would have sooner had I really been afraid at any point in that set.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
OP has been updated with all the videos that have been posted here.

Blacktwins, HeroMystic(myself), Incendiary, Rice, and XeroXen has been added to the Tournament videos page.

NualphaJPN's videos has been added under the Combo/Tutorial section.

Also on the OP, if you check the character list, it now states whether or not it has been updated.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've been video hunting. Expect the list update tonight.

Nyani(Mii Swordsman/Mario) vs Fiend(G&W) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]
Nyani(Mario) vs THT(Little Mac) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]
Nyani(Mario) vs James(Luigi) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]
Nyani(Mario) vs Vexatious(Sonic) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]

Ally(Mario) vs 6WX(Sonic) [WSF] [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario) vs Max Ketchum(Captain Falcon) [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario/Diddy) vs Mew2King(Diddy) [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario/Diddy) vs 6WX(Sonic) [LF] [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario/Diddy) vs Nairo(ZSS/Robin/Dark Pit) [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]

More to come.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've been video hunting. Expect the list update tonight.

Nyani(Mii Swordsman/Mario) vs Fiend(G&W) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]
Nyani(Mario) vs THT(Little Mac) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]
Nyani(Mario) vs James(Luigi) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]
Nyani(Mario) vs Vexatious(Sonic) [3/20/2015] [Tri-Smash 3]

Ally(Mario) vs 6WX(Sonic) [WSF] [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario) vs Max Ketchum(Captain Falcon) [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario/Diddy) vs Mew2King(Diddy) [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario/Diddy) vs 6WX(Sonic) [LF] [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]
Ally(Mario/Diddy) vs Nairo(ZSS/Robin/Dark Pit) [3/06/2015] [Shots Fired]

More to come.
I hate Clash Tournaments. Among virtually all of the Smash hosting channels I'm aware of, they have some of the worst commentary, and also probably the worst viewer base. It reeks of ignorance and bad information, even several months into the Wii-U version. I'm honestly baffled how they've consistently remained this terrible.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I hate Clash Tournaments. Among virtually all of the Smash hosting channels I'm aware of, they have some of the worst commentary, and also probably the worst viewer base. It reeks of ignorance and bad information, even several months into the Wii-U version. I'm honestly baffled how they've consistently remained this terrible.
I'd tag the worst viewer base to VGBC, though CT isn't far behind in that regard. Comes with the price of being popular I guess.

I personally prefer TeamSp00ky, as they do a lot to keep everything running smoothly and informed. Unfortunately, much like TourneyLocator (which is the only stream people cares about that isn't in the Northeast), they don't have many top/high players using Mario.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'd tag the worst viewer base to VGBC, though CT isn't far behind in that regard. Comes with the price of being popular I guess.

I personally prefer TeamSp00ky, as they do a lot to keep everything running smoothly and informed. Unfortunately, much like TourneyLocator (which is the only stream people cares about that isn't in the Northeast), they don't have many top/high players using Mario.
I guess I tolerate VGBC a bit more because of their few actually useful informational videos and because when they do commentary, it hasn't been as awful.

TeamSp00ky to my recollection has been quite good for many games, so I generally have a favorable impression of them.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I guess I tolerate VGBC a bit more because of their few actually useful informational videos and because when they do commentary, it hasn't been as awful.

TeamSp00ky to my recollection has been quite good for many games, so I generally have a favorable impression of them.
VGBC is like the only place with a regular Falco, GimR, so I don't mind. :)

Also, EE is fun and funny to me, but yeah, misinformation and ignorant commentary is annoying. There was a recent Shockwave where a commentator said Falco had nothing good, but his Bair and as he said that, the Falco proceeds to win a match against Sheik who supposedly had the clear advantage. Then there was that one match a while back where Keitaro decided to go Falco and the commentator said they - I don't remember if it was a she or he and I don't remember what stream it was from - wanted Keitaro to win and questioned Keitaro's reasoning. Seriously, just let the man play.

It frustrates me so much since unlike Marth and Meta Knight who people justified and still had hope for them, Falco just got **** on whenever possible and still does to this day. The KiT videos uploaded on VGBC were the worst since commentators kept saying Ganondorf was absolute crap, Falco had no edgeguarding tools, and other misinformation.

Edit: From terminalkai, Mario vs. Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9bSSixfmI.

vs. DK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NC0lPHOWwA.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Mario vs. Falco and later, ZSS vs. Dark Pit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjh36vCX2eM.

Edit 3: With a Vengeance: PhoenixD's Mario vs. Crispy Tacoz's Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hWqKDsSYAk.

Edit 4: A Good Day to Edit: From Teremi's channel, Mario vs. Falco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mumfjDYi-Ak.

Another Mario vs. Falco from er... this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCSCIi4lFthKaxp6QgWAhCQ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom