• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I did it with Captain Falcon in Brawl, except i threw away the technique since I kept tripping.

And pablo, $1 money matches whenever we meet from now on. RANDOM CHARACTERS!

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Lol, Yawara. You sure like to bash brawl. It's pretty comical when you do, in my opinion that is. I think brawl is alright, though last time I played it, I got bored quickly :-/.
I would love for a tournament to take place, especially with all of those different games. It makes me want to learn at least one other game and try to compete :-O. Go Pablo! If you can get special rates as an OU student...yea...I'm one..so yea. Call me, message me, or something...I can try to help you set it up?
I'm working on a paper due tomorrow...sucks...I should be working, but the boards called to me.
Remember, DD DS and don't trip.

Norman smashers....hang out sometime this week? Maybe friday?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So I'm trying to pick up writing poetry again . . .

Anyone want to help critique me? I'd post it here, but I'm sure someone will run along and call me a *** >_>;;;

And I only bash Brawl just because I don't see it as being competitive. The game is straight up a party game. It's something you put in to waste time with, nothing more afterwards. Standing alone as that, I'm willing to play it. Like when Andy and I just basically fooled around on target test, that's really the most I like do . . . Anything else is just . . . boring.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really much of a critic, but I can read it and tell you what I think. I'm not for sure how useful I could be at that lol.
Techno rocks my socks right now. Andy I want you. We still didn't transfer files or whatever we were going to do. More stepmania songs, more techno? Yea, you should show me how to get fuity loops too....even though I'll suck at making songs, not to say yours were amazing, but at least they were comical :p. What do people think of another smashfest friday?

Just saw a pretty sweet brawl vid and I thought I would share it in case you havn't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGg7Ip09Tc

Enjoy :)

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
so...why is it that for smash to be "competitive" it has to have so many glitches to make it seem more enhanced...?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
it's that the brawl metagame was purposefully nerfed by nintendo that makes it less competitive. a game is competitive because of its metagame. that rule has applied since chess was a world spectacle in the mid 20th century. whether these developments are intrinsically part of the game's functioning (l-cancelling), or a complete exploit (wavedashing), the game's community will attempt to perfect it and create strats around it.

you can even take a game like street fighter 3: TS, or tekken 5: DR, and see that even though there really aren't any glitches (neglecting brian's punch), capcom and namco supplied the game with sufficient complexity that allowed it to evolve in tactics, techniques, and strategy for years on end.

I'm definitely not saying that brawl will not be competitive. but as of now, it's not. i'll keep playing it for fun, since it's one of the best games i've ever played. however, until the community stems a major metagame for it, it will continue to be inferior to melee in terms of a competitive sphere.

aaaaaanyway.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Wavedashing was discovered: December 2001.
Melee came out in America: December 2001.

Things also discovered at that time: SWD, Link's bomb jump, Sheik's chain grab, Marth's spike, Fox's up-smash, Falco's spike, things that actually break the game.

Melee came out in Europe: 5/24/2002
Of all the things that Nintendo decided to take out of the game, here's what they didn't take out:
L-cancelling, Wavedashing. Things they did take out were actual glitches or imbalances that Nintendo recognized as being counter-intuitive to the competitive scene. (Yes, Nintendo recognized the competitive scene which is exactly why L-cancelling was still in).

And it's not that you need glitches seeing as how Melee also evolved in Europe, and it looks exactly the same as it does here except Sheik is actually higher up in their tier list.

And can you name exactly what glitches you're talking about too? Cause unless it's the ones that Nintendo decided they needed to remove, I don't exactly see what argument your'e trying to make here. And like Alex said, you do realize Nintendo admitted that they wanted to create a game where they didn't want people to get lose badly because they suck and instead wanted a game where (I think the quote is) "a 7 year old could push buttons and still have fun."

That alone should basically break everyone else's argument that Brawl is more competitive or equally competitive as melee. And I don't understand why you said it seems enhanced. It is. There's no doubt about that among anyone in this community.

/late to class

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
WDing was discovered prior to launch. had to keep it in due to time constraints.
but who cares, anyway, it's all about application. there's more to apply in melee AS OF NOW. thankfully you can still apply both mindgames and pure silliness to brawl, making it loltacular and amazing.

more importantly, WoW time...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I'm not actually sure about that. I think that's more of a rumor, the whole landslide special thing that's supposed to be discoverable in AR. I'm actually certain it is because people have combed through the game with AR where it was supposedly discovered and couldn't find a trace of it.

Regardless, Nintendo realized it wasn't anything bad and kept it in and allowed players to use it competitively .

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
It's funny, because when I first found out that Toon Link was in Brawl, I was kind of disappointed, but now he's one of my favorite characters.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
toon link can die.....

anyways im online and s.kat wont fight...

im taking melee to school tomorrow...some kids there that have "never been beat" want to fight me... we will see how long that undefeated streak lasts....

so ya im online others should b as well

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Once you start infinite grabbing with your Ice Climbers, I am going to wet my pants scared. I know a very good player (who beats me with anyone, including Donkey Kong) who does that, and he can chain grab you across the stage and spike you... All after you spawn fresh from 0%.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Okay, is the Brawl/Melee debate over for now?
They both rock on their own terms...
Problem solved, now quit *****ing and get back to what this thread is about
Spam

im taking melee to school tomorrow...some kids there that have "never been beat" want to fight me... we will see how long that undefeated streak lasts....
Josh, bringing wobbles to annoying *** mother ****ers all across america.
E-High Five lol
I'm not gonna lie, that's gonna crush their life,
At least when I was introduced to wobbles, I had some experience and whatnot
You're bringing it to pure nubs...
The poor *******s

You should record it. :p

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
Babac is done with smash unless jeff comes over and plays, I can always beat him.

I got owned pretty **** hard by chris, which is why he is NO LONGER able to come to my house. Chris, if you are reading this, drop off paemon's controller the get the **** outta here. I wasnt lieing when I said I dont want to see you again, this **** is done my old friend, you ****ed up big time.

I want to go to more smashfests with you guys, I do! But since I know chris will also be attending them, I dont even want to be in the same house with chris, let alone on the same cube. The last time I saw you guys was and probably will be the last time I see you, unless the occassional accidental meeting at walmart or something.

For real guys, it was tight, best times of my life, sucks that this is how it had to end. I actually wanted to throw OHSNAP4 right after school, but there is just no way I can do this now. Too many mistakes have been made and chris should have learned how to shut his ****ing mouth, but I guess he still has things to learn.

Ill see you guys, Ill rarely check this forum. Oh, and I realize I havent played anybody but chris (because he just thought it was ok to be in my house while I was still at school) but I would constantly get chris to one stock with my jiggs, just to let you know my skill level.

Brandon, I still have your controller, you are more than welcome to get it anytime during this week, saturday and sunday I have to work though.

One more thing. Becareful what all you mention to Chris, he has a habit of not knowing when to shut the **** up.

This is NOT an april fool's joke, its very important that you guys understand that.
no...johns?

Guys, i've gotten pretty out of it lately. My computer runs pretty slow, especially on smash boards. It doesn't really help that we cover a page a day in this thread. That's alright though, i try to look through and see what i missed.

Haven't played brawl in a cool minute, last time was against chris at babac's, so it was a while ago. Melee has been even longer, i've basically dropped it altogether. I was tired of marth.

keep in touch.

plasman

Smash Apprentice
So I just beat FFVI. Pretty cool game. Kefka was suitably evil, even though I would have liked to see more of him during the second half. A couple things I didn't like though: After the awesome part where the world completely changes, the game seemed to drift after Celes makes it off her island. I guess it was to show how the events affected everyone but to me it felt a bit repetitive. That and the battles were kind of tedious. I don't mind random battles but for a large part of the game it was "Locke: Steal, Terra: Attack, Sabin: Blitz-Raging Fist/Rising Phoenix, Edgar: Tools - Flash/Drill" and even bosses were done in quick time. All in all I don't know why it took me this long to actually sit down and finish this game, it was enjoyable. Haven't played anything other than a fighting game in a long while. Makes me want to go back and finish VIII which I haven't beaten either.

And to avoid spamming (too late?). I've decided to add Snake to my stable in Brawl and Sheik for Melee. I enjoy Snake's upsmash for some reason, probably too much : ).

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Currently, I'm still discussing details with SWF and SRK collaborators. The tournament will take place anywhere between early June and late July, and more than likely to be held in the Memorial Union building at OU. Personally, I prefer the Sooner Room since it's cheap, but if there's enough demand for it, then I'll reserve a spacier one.

No different from past tournaments, equipment volunteering is highly encouraged.

The line-up is shaping up to be:

1) Brawl 2v2
2) Third Strike
3) Melee
4) Arcana Heart
5) Brawl 1v1

It's not final, but it really depends on the feedback. If we have time, I'd like to see some side-tourneys as well... Accent Core, Marvel, Super Turbo, Chess, cage fighting, whatever.

I'll announce more shortly after Trashday4.

And pablo, $1 money matches whenever we meet from now on. RANDOM CHARACTERS!
Haha, you're on, just don't SD anymore :p

I would love for a tournament to take place, especially with all of those different games. It makes me want to learn at least one other game and try to compete :-O. Go Pablo! If you can get special rates as an OU student...yea...I'm one..so yea. Call me, message me, or something...I can try to help you set it up?
I'll talk to you about that soon, thx Brett!

Plasman: I'll take your suggestions into consideration. It's good to hear I have your support in multiple tournament games.

King GT: Cool man, Sonic FTW! Maybe you and Po can set up a MM to settle who's the best Sonic in OK once and for all.

Zinth: We can't let KOS-MOS waltz to all the way to 1st this time!

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
So that tourneyfest seems to be coming together nicely, you should start a thread,
I could bring equipment and whatnot.

King GT: Cool man, Sonic FTW! Maybe you and Po can set up a MM to settle who's the best Sonic in OK once and for all.
lol I thought we already did that, only without the money... :p
Don't mean to toot my own horn but it's me... toot toot

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
So I just beat FFVI. Pretty cool game. Kefka was suitably evil, even though I would have liked to see more of him during the second half. A couple things I didn't like though: After the awesome part where the world completely changes, the game seemed to drift after Celes makes it off her island. I guess it was to show how the events affected everyone but to me it felt a bit repetitive. That and the battles were kind of tedious. I don't mind random battles but for a large part of the game it was "Locke: Steal, Terra: Attack, Sabin: Blitz-Raging Fist/Rising Phoenix, Edgar: Tools - Flash/Drill" and even bosses were done in quick time. All in all I don't know why it took me this long to actually sit down and finish this game, it was enjoyable. Haven't played anything other than a fighting game in a long while. Makes me want to go back and finish VIII which I haven't beaten either.
FFVI is surely a great game with a great story and artwork, but yes, it was definitely too easy towards the end (and you can make it even easier if you abuse Vanish + Death). If I ever play it again (I am playing Phantasy Star 2-3, after finishing 4), I am going to do a "Natural Magic" game, where you don't use Espers to learn magic and instead rely on characters' natural abilities and equipment.

Also, if the upcoming tournament is at OU and not some guy's house, I may try to go. I hope I can, because that would be awesome.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Oh, there's no melee 2 vs 2? I wanted to team with Andy >.>

And if you want, I can get the word out on Brawl at least to OU. That way whoever wins will at least get a huge pot and hopefully some scrubs will move over to Melee. Also, be sure to pick a definite time. I wanna get Dallas in on this too :p

And: http://www.poetrysoup.com/search_results_poet.asp?PoetID=11497

Help? Trying to get published is a *****.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Wavedashing was discovered: December 2001.
Melee came out in America: December 2001.

Things also discovered at that time: SWD, Link's bomb jump, Sheik's chain grab, Marth's spike, Fox's up-smash, Falco's spike, things that actually break the game.

Melee came out in Europe: 5/24/2002
Of all the things that Nintendo decided to take out of the game, here's what they didn't take out:
L-cancelling, Wavedashing. Things they did take out were actual glitches or imbalances that Nintendo recognized as being counter-intuitive to the competitive scene. (Yes, Nintendo recognized the competitive scene which is exactly why L-cancelling was still in).
Dear god son. you dont know ****

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
If you'd care to elaborate, go ahead but that's proven as fact. Weren't you on gfaqs at one time? Remember a kid named TID?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Actually, it's since my gamefaqs name is associated with being 100% correct as well as my smashboards name, that would imply that I am, in fact, 100% correct.

The thing with reputation is this. You are known, now, for jumping between boards telling people about the TGM combo and basically trying to be a forum ***** to build up your reputation. Which amounts to absolutely nothing at this point. Agreed? It doesn't matter who you beat or what you say anymore because that's all you amount to. You are basically a fad that has passed long ago. As for your pro-brawl arguments, the only thing you manage to do is tell everyone like some faux-prophet in an ominous voice that MELEE WILL COME TO AN END *insert scary sound effect here* Unlike other users who actually are capable of arguing points, you just say "OMG NO" and hope that nobody else posts anything remotely intelligent afterwards. Problem is with intelligent users, that doesn't work.

I on the other hand am respected cross boards. People in your own region will recognize my name and attest to my smash knowledge and won't be shy to point out your inaccuracies. Like just now when you crashed into a topic and said "OMG NO!" without posting any relevant information that points to counter what I've posted which, last time I checked, aren't at all false.

If you want to post counter to that, go ahead. But next time, don't embarrass yourself by hopping between topics and then posting about how inaccurate another user, actually think if the other guy has half the mind to call you out.

Gravity

Smash Ace
in light of that, i fully support and will go to a multi game tournament, and i recommened stepmania if that is viable(probably not).

ill haul people from edmond/okc down there, ive got plenty of room in the back. but gas, so yeah.

also yawara, no time right now, but ill read that later. i doubt ill have anything contructive since im a terrible poet and am not a huge fan of poetry, but ill try.

im going to stay out of this though, since i think both parties are cool.

anyway, brett, i dont know if ic an come down firday but ill try. might have to wait for next week.

also, melee 2v2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>brawl 2v2

and im down for a chess tourny

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Ah man that game is so awesome! There was a bit of a lack of Kefka and structure in the second half of the game, but it kind of built upon a theme, and it did get too easy because ultima was broken. But did you listen to Dancing Mad??!?!?!

Zinth: We can't let KOS-MOS waltz to all the way to 1st this time!
Haha, you know there's no way I'm going to let that happen ;)

Also, there should be a 2v2 Melee tournament.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Meh, I'm content to leave it as it is with TGM.

I'm kinda sorry how I've sort of taken over this thread with my agendas. It's just a lot of the people who argue just don't have any basis for doing so. And by that I mean they're either bad players or have no evidence to back up their claims.

But yeah, Pablo tourney from here on out.

I've still got no hate for Texas smashers, I just like telling off people who try to rile me up.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Once you start infinite grabbing with your Ice Climbers, I am going to wet my pants scared. I know a very good player (who beats me with anyone, including Donkey Kong) who does that, and he can chain grab you across the stage and spike you... All after you spawn fresh from 0%.
lol ya... i guess its a good thing you cant IG in brawl then huh? well i can still IG just leagaly...

GT you were right they never stood a chance. after i 4stocked them with the IG i played fair and still 4stocked them. i even used my doc and puff....sad story

s.kat and i played and he beat me but the last match we had i got disconnected :(

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
s.kat and i played and he beat me but the last match we had i got disconnected
My internet connection has been screwed up anyhow, so it could have been my fault.

And even if they are not infinites, a chain grab with Ice Climbers is a lot better than just a single grab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4

And I'm sure after you get used to Brawl, you will able to own me left and right. I am actually average at best, especially when I look at my Win/Loss record at Gamebattles.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Actually, it's since my gamefaqs name is associated with being 100% correct as well as my smashboards name, that would imply that I am, in fact, 100% correct.

The thing with reputation is this. You are known, now, for jumping between boards telling people about the TGM combo and basically trying to be a forum ***** to build up your reputation. Which amounts to absolutely nothing at this point. Agreed? It doesn't matter who you beat or what you say anymore because that's all you amount to. You are basically a fad that has passed long ago. As for your pro-brawl arguments, the only thing you manage to do is tell everyone like some faux-prophet in an ominous voice that MELEE WILL COME TO AN END *insert scary sound effect here* Unlike other users who actually are capable of arguing points, you just say "OMG NO" and hope that nobody else posts anything remotely intelligent afterwards. Problem is with intelligent users, that doesn't work.

I on the other hand am respected cross boards. People in your own region will recognize my name and attest to my smash knowledge and won't be shy to point out your inaccuracies. Like just now when you crashed into a topic and said "OMG NO!" without posting any relevant information that points to counter what I've posted which, last time I checked, aren't at all false.

If you want to post counter to that, go ahead. But next time, don't embarrass yourself by hopping between topics and then posting about how inaccurate another user, actually think if the other guy has half the mind to call you out.
I dont need to correct you when you honestly belive in what you just said no matter how wrong it is.. 2ndly, TGM combo is not fad. Its a legendary attack that has beaten you and countless others. 3rdly, MELEE WILL COME TO AN END(it already did). 4thish, i like SHADE.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Melee will die so quickly. Too many people attempting to kill off Brawl's competitive scene and getting to get people to return to Melee. The reason people are mocking Brawl's decreased depth and decreased speed is because they want people to migrate away from Brawl to the faster, more complex game in order to revive the competitive scene it has.

While every single argument a Melee player has is correct, but I doubt Brawl will die either. People can say that WiFi is garbage all they want, but WiFi has brought an internet community into competitive play. Mario Kart DS... Metroid Prime Hunters... Still the same garbage WiFi that Smash Bros. uses (Mario Kart DS' WiFi actually being worse than SSBB's and MPH's), but they still had online competitive players because people enjoyed the games.

I am not sure if Star Fox Command had a competitive scene, because WiFi was so bare bones that it was disappointed many. Star Fox Command's WiFi is "Fox Only, Items, Final Destination" because that was actually all that WiFi was: You only get to play as Fox and his arwing in a game with a large variety of Arwings, and the stage you play on had no obstacles. Whoever got the best laser power-up had a much greater chance of winning (and I think items were randomly scattered so that one player could get to the best power-up more easily.) So yeah, Star Fox Command's WiFi was actually one that was a turn off to even casual players because of its sheer lack of depth and variety, despite being so much fun to play.

Compare this to Brawl where you have 30+ characters to play as, any stage you want, ability to customize items and other settings, and a game that is immensely popular. Boom, people are going to play it, despite WiFi's natural downsides.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
1) It's not wrong. It's 100% fact meaning there's no chance it's wrong.
2) lol I'll take that as a rebuttal, can't exactly argue against that.
3) No.

Compared to every other competitive fighting game, melee is a young game. People aren't mocking brawl's lack of depth. They're pointing it out because there's a lack of depth. Sakurai and Nintendo wanted a depthless game, they marketed it as a depthless game, the game is supposed to be a depthless party game. Not a fighter.

People aren't migrating back to Melee. They never chose to migrate towards Brawl at all. People don't switch to a game they don't like to play or get bored of within 30 minutes of playing which is where the majority of the Melee proponents stand at this point. The game's not fun to play compared to the way we've all played Melee. That's just it. Nothing else you can say will change that fact.

All of the people who said Melee will die even admit that. Chillindude829 lashed out against Gimpyfish and called him an *** for switching. Within that same week, he told M2K that he hates playing Brawl and Melee was more fun. Brolly is a huge SW Brawl proponent. He said melee was more fun.

Only reason why Brawl will have a competitive scene is because people all think they're pro at the game and are at the same level as the top players in the world. Probably true but not because they're good at the game.

And in the competitive scene, nobody cares about varied stages, items, or other settings. Nobody even cares about wifi. And even though I hold to it that all character metagames are growing, everyone else will argue against me and say only a select number of characters will be used.

For Brawl it's worse. Certain characters will have greater advantages and those will be the ones to dominate. Especially cause there isn't anything to give every character universal advantages.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Sorry fellas, but Melee 2v2 may have to settle for side-tourney status this time. But if it goes down, you can count me in, haha. Brawl is just much more inviting than Melee to the newer players, and will most likely yield a higher turnout.

Brett, Chris approves a legit smashfest this Friday, what do you say?

po pimpus

Smash Ace
SIGH... parte deux

I am going to refrain from the Brawl vs. Melee debate as that has been done to death, and leads us nowhere...

Pablo, as I have told you already, I am definitely down for that tourney. Even though I am "retired" from competitive play, I am always up for an opportunity to play with the best, even if that means getting my butt handed to me in six or seven fighters all in one day.

I am only concerned with how we would handle multiple games going on at once... as I for one would like to actually partake in ALL of the events, but know that there would be limited time to do so... having to hunt down dozens of players all involved in various tourneys would get quite hectic, to say the least.

Also, I officially nominate myself "Ofishal Smash Tournament ****-Talker, Commentator, and Emcee" for I will be spouting all kinds of non-sensical and hilarious insults, color-commentary, and off-hand remarks regarding the various games of Smash going on.

Prepare to be quite annoyed and have your concentration broken by my humorous take on Smash... :chuckle:

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I will try to announce tomorrow if I am having the smashfest. I want to, but again I didn't ask my parents still :-/. Don't come until I post saying yes plz lol.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Debates stop when points stop getting brought up. That's just it. You may not know this, but I like to argue, and I like to make sure my arguments come out on top and try to leave as little room for rebuttal as possible. Most of the time people give up and just drop the subject. But I won't exactly stop just because the main consensus wants me to. :/

As for the tournament, I can hit up Hanson and see if the two of us can pull in TKO (asian frat) to help host this tournament. They already had a brawl tournament apparently. That'll bring in a bigger pot for you guys. Also, some other dudes in Norman could be hit up to help run the traditional fighters. That should be the easiest part of it all. The hard part, really, is just getting things set up so we can have enough tvs to run the games on. We'll need lots of Television donations for this one guys meaning people other than Po, Bryan, and Myself will have to lug something over.

Pablo, I suggest we try to remedy that by making the entrance fee like 5 dollars and tournaments themselves be 10. That way if people bring in a television or a system, they enter for free. Also, all television are to be run by the people who brought them so if they want to friendly on them when no tourneys are going about, they can. That's the best I can think of to remedy that. OH! And same with power stripes. We'll probably be in need of those as well.

Main thing we should focus on though is organizing a good date so everyone can come in and play. With this many events, I'd like to start it around 10 if that's fine with you. Just have the Third Strike and Brawl 2 vs 2 go on early and then we'll trickle down from there. Melee 1 vs 1 pools should start about 1/2 (hopefully) and we can run along side with Arcana Hart. That or we just run Brawl 1 vs 1s much earlier on in the day and let that business settle itself cause that'll run a lot of the time in the tournament. In fact, I think it's better to do Third Strike and Brawl 1 vs 1s as early as possible. Then transition by dropping a traditional fighting game into another one and when Brawl 1 vs 1s are done, go to Melee 1 vs 1s.

Brawl teams, though better than brawl singles, will be quicker to tie up and won't be as time consuming. Most tourneys do run 2 vs 2s first, but I think we should focus on getting the bigger events out the quickest. That way the n00bs will run out at like 5 instead of staying around till 12 and you being stuck there watching over them.

Also, we might get some Dallas peeps up to play with us depending on our timing for Melee 1 vs 1s. Dallas isn't the most pro-brawl city at the moment (With the exception of Drew, but he got 3 stocked by Sethlon's Falco or something lol) and it'd be nice to show people what competitive melee is all about. Plus we could do crews battles and all of that other random jazz that's so much fun in smash tournaments.

Oh, and depending on if TKO would help sponsor it or not, we might get them to offer us useage of their house which would automatically mean more space. We should also organize the time frame for this tourney EARLY! and try to get pre-registration so we can figure out time constraints. That'll not only help the operation go better, but it'll also help us let people know when they can get out and get food :p Hate to see kids disqualified cause of that. And finally, we need kids with laptops to help run the tournament by pre-installing tournament making programs. I'll probably use mine to help record matches and if anyone has a VCR, bring it. It'd be great to get this stuff on tape.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone supporting this event as much as they can. I appreciate the suggestions, volunteering, and advice very much, as we will need all the help we can get!

I am only concerned with how we would handle multiple games going on at once... as I for one would like to actually partake in ALL of the events, but know that there would be limited time to do so... having to hunt down dozens of players all involved in various tourneys would get quite hectic, to say the least.
Heh, I actually prefer running one at a time, that way we arguably have an easier grasp on coordinating the whole ordeal and getting each event done at a faster pace. Not only that, but it may also help promote people's interests in other fighting games since they'll have the luxury of comfortably being a spectator, or even entering for the heck of it. This may seem like crazy talk to the lot of you, people might grow bored, we might not finish on time, etc., but it's a risk I'm willing to take.
Prepare to be quite annoyed and have your concentration broken by my humorous take on Smash... :chuckle:
Rush that **** down. "He's so pringles!"
As for the tournament, I can hit up Hanson and see if the two of us can pull in TKO (asian frat) to help host this tournament. They already had a brawl tournament apparently. That'll bring in a bigger pot for you guys. Also, some other dudes in Norman could be hit up to help run the traditional fighters. That should be the easiest part of it all. The hard part, really, is just getting things set up so we can have enough tvs to run the games on. We'll need lots of Television donations for this one guys meaning people other than Po, Bryan, and Myself will have to lug something over.
That'll be really helpful, Yawara :) I'll get back to you on this.

Also, do you know what it takes to get discounts for room rentals? I'm not sure if simply being an OU student grants you this privilege.
Pablo, I suggest we try to remedy that by making the entrance fee like 5 dollars and tournaments themselves be 10. That way if people bring in a television or a system, they enter for free. Also, all television are to be run by the people who brought them so if they want to friendly on them when no tourneys are going about, they can. That's the best I can think of to remedy that. OH! And same with power stripes. We'll probably be in need of those as well.
When it was originally announced, OSC '07 was planned to have an entry fee system similar to this. The feedback was... not so positive... and IIRC, Chibi was forced to get rid of it. I'll include the entry fee anyways, in case things are different this time around.
Main thing we should focus on though is organizing a good date so everyone can come in and play. With this many events, I'd like to start it around 10 if that's fine with you. Just have the Third Strike and Brawl 2 vs 2 go on early and then we'll trickle down from there. Melee 1 vs 1 pools should start about 1/2 (hopefully) and we can run along side with Arcana Hart. That or we just run Brawl 1 vs 1s much earlier on in the day and let that business settle itself cause that'll run a lot of the time in the tournament. In fact, I think it's better to do Third Strike and Brawl 1 vs 1s as early as possible. Then transition by dropping a traditional fighting game into another one and when Brawl 1 vs 1s are done, go to Melee 1 vs 1s.
Concerning dates, I'll collect the input from both SRK and SWF and compare them along with dates for other events such as MGC, holidays, and whatever else that can collide with the tournament. I'll try to reserve the room for the entire day, and have it on a weekend. As soon as the room is open, we'll spare 1-hour for set-up/registration prior to the first event.

I'll consider your suggestion for the flow of events, but I'll have to wait for more responses to make anything final. Obviously we have to acknowledge the popularity of Brawl, but if it's a little too well-received, the entire event will need to be re-evaluated.
Brawl teams, though better than brawl singles, will be quicker to tie up and won't be as time consuming. Most tourneys do run 2 vs 2s first, but I think we should focus on getting the bigger events out the quickest. That way the n00bs will run out at like 5 instead of staying around till 12 and you being stuck there watching over them.
It's wishful thinking, but I was hoping that having people stick around will build hype for the "main event" and encourage them to get involved in other events in the mean time. Though, I can see the benefits in getting Brawl 1v1 done first.
Also, we might get some Dallas peeps up to play with us depending on our timing for Melee 1 vs 1s. Dallas isn't the most pro-brawl city at the moment (With the exception of Drew, but he got 3 stocked by Sethlon's Falco or something lol) and it'd be nice to show people what competitive melee is all about. Plus we could do crews battles and all of that other random jazz that's so much fun in smash tournaments.

Oh, and depending on if TKO would help sponsor it or not, we might get them to offer us useage of their house which would automatically mean more space. We should also organize the time frame for this tourney EARLY! and try to get pre-registration so we can figure out time constraints. That'll not only help the operation go better, but it'll also help us let people know when they can get out and get food :p Hate to see kids disqualified cause of that. And finally, we need kids with laptops to help run the tournament by pre-installing tournament making programs. I'll probably use mine to help record matches and if anyone has a VCR, bring it. It'd be great to get this stuff on tape.
I'm in favor of this, it'll make planning, running, and ENJOYING the tournament much, much easier. Like I mentioned earlier, I'll get back to you on this :chuckle:

Oh, and having OOSers attend will be good, since I'll take their money.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Debates stop when points stop getting brought up. That's just it. You may not know this, but I like to argue, and I like to make sure my arguments come out on top and try to leave as little room for rebuttal as possible. Most of the time people give up and just drop the subject. But I won't exactly stop just because the main consensus wants me to. :/
It's this easy yawara, it's how I am able to accept you guys' opinions
Ever heard of the Beatles?
Let it Be...
Of course the opinions have been in larger-than-necessary for this thread lol
So it's a little annoying
How about those games?
Melee and Brawl, pretty awesome, huh?

Top Bottom