• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Scuddlefish

Smash Rookie
I had fun playing for the little time that I did.
Had fun in teams, but wish I could have had more singles :).

Hope to see you all soon enough!!

I still don't understand the difference in how people talk about Starcraft (but not limited to just that) and how they talk about Melee.
You hear commentators talk about lots of cool things in SC and they make sense...talking about how the metagame changes and how what strategies are good, but when it comes to melee it just sounds like people don't have things figured out. Why would upthrow to upair be so scary with Falco if it is so simple and was being done a long time ago. How can these things just not be known. I know people can have different strategies that are good in Melee, but things don't seem very figured out. Thoughts?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I love everyone who went yesterday <3

Also, I think cause it's just 2 different games. Starcraft, a lot of opening commentary is just like BS, history, and BO talk. And everything afterwards is kinda easy too cause all you have to do is just watch for tech + micro and then comment on like how good their micro is, how aggressive their expansions are, or what tech they'll get soon and stuff. Melee/Brawl is like super fast, can't really explain a lot cause you don't have the time to, so you just offer up tidbit fill in the blank theory statements cause **** happens so fast, if you explain why a marth Faired at 0:02 by the time your'e done explaining, it's like 30 seconds later and a lot has already happened.

DualCats

Smash Ace
had a lot of fun playing tonight. did significantly better in melee than expected.
You are honestly one of the smartest and most perceptive players I've ever encountered, sir. That alone is just as useful as practical tech skill. more or less.

Scuddlefish

Smash Rookie
I love everyone who went yesterday <3

Also, I think cause it's just 2 different games. Starcraft, a lot of opening commentary is just like BS, history, and BO talk. And everything afterwards is kinda easy too cause all you have to do is just watch for tech + micro and then comment on like how good their micro is, how aggressive their expansions are, or what tech they'll get soon and stuff. Melee/Brawl is like super fast, can't really explain a lot cause you don't have the time to, so you just offer up tidbit fill in the blank theory statements cause **** happens so fast, if you explain why a marth Faired at 0:02 by the time your'e done explaining, it's like 30 seconds later and a lot has already happened.
what about the development of the metagame and why it seems so little is figured out or why good things just stop being used?

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
thats the thing though. i figured it was a muscle memory thing and the timing would always be the same. however, i forgot that if you hit somebody it will take a little longer than if you missed. oh well, maybe next tiem.

DualCats

Smash Ace
thats the thing though. i figured it was a muscle memory thing and the timing would always be the same. however, i forgot that if you hit somebody it will take a little longer than if you missed. oh well, maybe next tiem.
I dunno, I spent about two weeks of playing in the competitive scene before I got consistent at it. It didn't even feel the least bit gradual; one day it just sort of existed inexplicably.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
hm, well i hope so. bear in mind i can't do very many AT's in brawl either. just glide toss and bdacus (80% of the tiem)

Shade_

Smash Ace
Tom's entering the competitive melee scene? Who'd have thought this day would come. Don't worry about the AT's. You just need L canceling, and anything else you seem to have trouble with that you would like to do just let me know. At least when it comes to Fox or Samus, I feel like I've got their ATs down. Everything in this game is muscle memory and AT's help, but being good doesn't revolve around being able to infinite shine or wave dash back to f-smash. You can get pretty far with just L-cancel and shield grab to combo.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Or being ****ing awesome with Captain Falcon.

GODDD, every match I played with falcon was way too fun vs Chris. But it also tired my mind out.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
dude its so easy. with your tech skill you would be beast. and since you play brawl you can make very hard reads on pepople

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dude, don't play Falcon, he's a trash character. Play Sheik or Fox or Falco or Puff.

But if you wanna play Falcon, I'm like falcon-sensei.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
so the fact that outlaw was able to make was awesome (thanks for the gas money btw) good to see ya there

sry couldnt get there early enough to play sars or kosmos or the legendary PO. maybe nxt time soon?

i did get to play this Roy fella tho.... must say hes gotta dang decent falco. have played a good one since scud. we went back and forth on matches between IC's and Falco.... so then i had to pull out my Zelda.

i didnt mean to... he made me do it... i didnt want to... he made me do it... i shouldnt have done it....

BUT I HAD TO DO IT.

i wanna play him and scud more often. dnt get enough falco ya know?

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
u....my friend.... WERE NOT ASKED TO COMMENT!!!!! lol ya ur right i was just to busy procrastinating. btw can u call me i got some questions bout homebrew. 6204510159

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Great seeing everyone, especially the people I rarely see like Outlaw, Vega, Po, and Kos Mos. Thanks for coming!

I feel like I improved alot saturday as well. Most my improvement comes out of encounters like this. Kos Most simply teaching me things like the cooldown on my jab was extremely helpful, thats just stuff I don't come across reading or never think to try out.

I hope to host again, maybe have better arrangement of televisions so people don't have to walk in front of them to get to the door. I kinda wanted to have another one of these before Oh Snap 6 so OK could be on their game for the tourney but I don't know if we are going to be able to find time with the winter holidays and what not. Everyone was a very good guest, the couple of spills I saw were promptly cleaned up. The only thing I ask is to throw your fast food trash away, which most people did, if everyone did it I would literally have NO cleanup to do which really makes me much more likely to continue these longterm. Glad brawl kids came too. Even though there are more melee players so it tends to be played more, sorry I couldn't play more brawl matches I'm just so bad at the game that I'm probably not much fun to play because I'm not really dedicated to learn since I have so much invested into melee mentally and it really throws of my game speed-wise, but I'll always play minus with you guys!

Sars was talking about having a cross game crew battle. IDK how it would work but it might be alot of fun. You could counterpick games or something.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
omg we could finally use scud's brilliant idea of starcraft format crews, lol

each crew drafts, and we set up matches depending on how many people there are. like if there are 8 people, we could do best of 7 where no person could be in more than one match...and do like a melee teams match, 2 melee singles matches, 2 brawl single matches, and a 64 singles match. or something like that. would be beast, IMO, would involve both scenes, would take good strats, and would be fun for all. we could always just do one brawl and one melee crew battle with mixed teams, but we did some brawl crew matches using this format one night and it worked out really well.

i'm busy like every single saturday for when i get back, but since it's the holidays maybe we can do it on a weekday? or maybe an obscure weekend day like jan 2nd or 7th. i sure would like to be there :) if people would rather do it on a saturday though, no worries.
i get back in 13 days :3 i miss you guys.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I'm bad at rushcraft II but I wish I were better because that game is freaking cool. I'm probably putting my time into MvC3 as my only other competitive title right now.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
After exams, I think we should have another pretty big get together.

I think Andy would be down to host for a fairly big sized smashfest, not sure. It'd be cool if someone else hosts though cause Andy's place sucks lol

Smashfest at Hanson's?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
****ing, I posted at 11:!1. I wish that everyone on this thread makes millions of dollars.

Also GF for ROM3 are up. Good watch for Brett, Karl, and Bryan.

jacob91

Smash Cadet
Two players from OK here, we're looking to play some friendlies today. Anyone down to meet us or for us to pick them up? We're new to tourneys but not to the game.

EDIT: We're in Moore by the way. I won't mind driving to play someone and I'm a nice guy lol.. I've been playing Melee for a good while and so has my cousin. We're just looking for some friendly competition.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yo welcome dude. Most of our smash scene is centralized in Norman because most of us go to school there, but a lot of us also live in Moore like Irish's crew and me. But I'm busy like most of the time, and I dont' stay up late or nothing lol

But that's awesome dude, I guess you and your cousin play each other all the time or something? I might be able to play today but like not for long cause I'm only gonna be free from like 3-5 ish.

jacob91

Smash Cadet
3 to 5 is perfect for me. If you're still available then, let me know. My house is on the fringe of Moore and Norman only a couple minutes from Indian Hills. I've got a good setup if you want to stop by or know anyone that wants to. I'm just trying to improve my melee game a bit.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
3 to 5 is perfect for me. If you're still available then, let me know. My house is on the fringe of Moore and Norman only a couple minutes from Indian Hills. I've got a good setup if you want to stop by or know anyone that wants to. I'm just trying to improve my melee game a bit.
you live only like 5-6 miles from me when i'm home :D we should play this winter!

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Make Kurohito get in this thread Chozo! My youngest brother plays brawl but hates message boards!

We will also have to get Jacob and his cous down to Norman one of these days!

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I need to record more of my matches with bryan because I always feel I'm doing so well at first then bryan ***** me. I had him down a stock 2 or 3 times with a significant lead. I think bryan gets super serious when he starts to lose and is like ZOMG DIVINE WRATH! *peach dies*

I'm going to know that marth matchup so well raaaawwr. I beat 3 different marths (2 consistently) at HD Remix they were really surprised and one superraged. I think they thought lawlpeach and weren't taking me seriously.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
we should throw a tournament on march 19th since i will be home for spring break, btw. it shall be called the kosmos and hazygoose birthday tourney. hell yeah.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Next Phase might be Dec. 18th, I am just posting to see if people are free or who will go. So could i get an estimate on who, if any, can show up?
Is there Melee? If someone is driving I might be down but I can't drive myself. And if you main Ike I wanna see that **** because he's awesome.

Also, be sure and come to Oh Snap 6 Jan 15th-16th

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
phase held melee at first, i think it went away due to lack of interest. dont quote me on that. me + bassem and company will go for sure slaps (god i forgot your real name).

Top Bottom