• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
hazy for pro squandering. next time i will practice and get sleep. i think i'll start training again.
good **** to everyone who went. packed car, crazy times, but fun and in good company.
oh and shots fired. quite literally.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
cant get much better than yesterday. well besides not getting wobbled, one of us winning the thing, and also more sleep. either way.... Pablos hair was top tier

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I'm too good... at Victory Cancelling, lol. Next time, I'm crushing souls. Good **** yesterday guys... and to everyone that didn't go, you missed out. Outlaw and Hazy are too good, Pablo makes people rage, and Josh always winds up playing other OKers lmao.

Tom, I think I lost your number, PM me or whatever. I want to get this show on the road soon as possible.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
I usually don't enjoy long rides though that was pretty entertaining. I could of easily done better at Dallas, I'm off my game a bit, though at least I mostly got eliminated by fellow Oklahomans.

We want tournaments PO!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I spent this weekend trying to learn Magneto HOLLA CHRIS

I think the thing I love most about fighters isn't really the combos but the movement that leads into them. I think that's why I like characters that are able to zip around and for that reason, I'm not sure I like Nova or Spencer unless he's in X-Factor (or Doom but he's broken).

I also feel like getting in with those characters is a lot harder for me to conceptualize cause I don't do it with movement but with positioning which I don't find a strong suit for me.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Hi OK, thank you all for coming out!! Good **** Hazy for making bracket and repping yall's state. It looked like most of you got a lot of matches in and were having a good time :) I really appreciate the effort, and of course, if you guys are having a Melee tourney, post in the DFW Melee thread and we'll try to make it out!

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Under what names did Alex and Pablo enter?

Glad you all made it down there :)

Also, as a side-note for all this Pablo-talk, I was pretty impressed by Pablo the last time I played him.
:phone:

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Under what names did Alex and Pablo enter?

Glad you all made it down there :)

Also, as a side-note for all this Pablo-talk, I was pretty impressed by Pablo the last time I played him.
:phone:
Pablo was Lightyear and Alex was Gander(Get it? HazyGOOSE/Gander? lol). It was incredibly fun and well-organized. Next time,Bryan, Chris, you and Andy need to come with us... The top two questions I was asked were "Where's KOS-MOS?" and "Where's Gravity?"

Had a ton of fun. Emily is a great TO-- She kept things running smoothly and was a great host. The prizes and raffle were a great idea as well as setting up a Novice Bracket for those who didn't make it out of pools. Definitely ideas I will co-op for our event.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Alex lost to the guys who got 1st and 2nd at the tourney lol Stacked bracket

Also, did they do pools or something beforehand?

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I can't speak for Emily, but from what I can tell it looks like it was properly seeded. Mojo screwed around in pools I think and ended up getting 2nd seed which is why Gandar had to fight him first round despite getting 1st seed. Arc was upset by Luci which is why he had to fight him so soon in loser's. Gandar got really unlucky but I don't think much could have been done about it.

Anyway, GGs Oklahoma. Wish I could have played more of you. Not really sure what else to say.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I tend not to Wobble in friendlies unless I really feel the need to practice it. I'll Wobble next friendlies we play if you want it to be more serious.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Yo fellas, lets not spoil the mood with saltiness, especially when Alex played really well otherwise and always has trouble with ARC. Let's not insult Texas' seeding especially when they actually have tournaments to seed :awesome:

Any problems with brackets are always solved by a little something I like to call win your damn match... It solves all your problems :)

Also, it is not cool to insinuate things about events WHEN YOU DIDN'T EVEN ATTEND. Tournament was fine. Everyone won the matches they should have won and lost the ones they should have. Anything else is just being whiny.

STEP YO GAME UP, OKLAHOMA.

Shoutouts to Outlaw for being an amazing personality and really good player to boot. Stay fresh, playa.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
ya nothing wrong with the seeding. really no way to make a "fair" seeding. alot of good peeps there. it was a very stacked bracket. that in itself is always good to see

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I didn't mean to come off like a ****, but words can easily be misconstrued and I don't want people to think we're a bunch of sore losers up in here. I played like *** in Persona, but the only person I have to blame is staring back at me in the mirror.

Stop looking to blame others for losses and pick apart your own failures first. That's how you improve.
I lost. No big. I'll look at where I ****ed up and fix it for next time. People WILL get punched in the face next time...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong, but Dallas has had a history of doing this before. All I'm saying.

In other news, if I actually did show up (unlikely) I'd have won HOLLLLAAAAAAAAAA You all suck

Chris wanna play this weekend? I got some questions about Magneto I want sorted.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I can't speak for Emily, but from what I can tell it looks like it was properly seeded. Mojo screwed around in pools I think and ended up getting 2nd seed which is why Gandar had to fight him first round despite getting 1st seed. Arc was upset by Luci which is why he had to fight him so soon in loser's. Gandar got really unlucky but I don't think much could have been done about it.
If this is what happened, then it pretty much explains how the bracket turned out.

Hopefully I can make the next tournament. I've got a working computer now (Macbook Pro with Retina Display!) so I should have more of a handle on things by then.

Also, a paper that a professor and I coauthored got accepted to the ICDL-Epirob 2012 conference! So I'll get to go to a conference in CA this November. And be published.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Okay so some rebuttals to set things straight.

When I talked about the bracket fixing history that Dallas had, it's exactly that. Whenever we went to show up for melee tourneys there, people in Dallas would either intentionally throw matches to force worse matchups on OoS players or fix brackets to ensure that we'd have to knock each other out or get seeded against more difficulty.

Like I remember one time Chris had to play three 1st seed players in a row, and they happened to ascend according to the power ranking then.

Secondly with regards to winning your match, don't be ridiculous.

The only tournaments that don't factor in random factors like luck are pure round robin tournaments which is why that point is only valid in pools.

If you didn't make it out of pools, then you can't whine cause you really should've won your matches. If you made it out, you proved that you're more than capable of doing so and that's why you should've advanced.

Brackets are completely different. Who you're up against matters a lot because of how many bad matchups or killers there can be. That's why seeding matters, that's why it's important to balance out said brackets (something that people claim isn't easy, but speaking as a past TO, it's not as hard as people complain about).

I'm not going to call out Emily or whoever it was that ran the tourney and said she intentionally fixed the tourney, but like I said, Dallas did this **** a lot. To the point that we just decided to not play melee in Texas for like four years.

[edit]

Also, congrats Bryan! I'm also gonna be getting a phone like tomorrow probably (first smartphone ever) so people can actually call and text me soon.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
i think thats what makes me like Emily so much. since she took over TO in Dallas things have become so much better than back in the day. fo sho

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
Okay so some rebuttals to set things straight.

When I talked about the bracket fixing history that Dallas had, it's exactly that. Whenever we went to show up for melee tourneys there, people in Dallas would either intentionally throw matches to force worse matchups on OoS players or fix brackets to ensure that we'd have to knock each other out or get seeded against more difficulty.

Like I remember one time Chris had to play three 1st seed players in a row, and they happened to ascend according to the power ranking then.
Sure I'm down for some games this weekend Yawara, just lemme know when and where.

Also, I have to agree with Yawara somewhat. Years ago, I would get the hardest bracket possible just to make sure I didn't win, and even if I did manage to make it to Grand Finals, people would throw their matches so I would get stuck with the person who gave me the most trouble in Grand Finals. I never once complained, but I was always a bit skeptical.

I have met Emily though, and she seems to give everyone a fair chance, so I would be willing to travel to Dallas and play again, but that crap that happened awhile ago left a bad taste in my mouth.

Keep up the great work Emily and I'll make it to the next tournament for sure!

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
yeah i think i remember hearing a story about how DOH had a pretty good MU against kosmos and they thought their friendship (insert yugioh bull****) allowed them to get away with such things.

or DOH threw the match. I think i remember his name being thrown around.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
anyone up for some melee practice today? i really cant drive somewhere so if u could bring it to me thatd be awesome

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
geez

anyways I gotta hand it to Emily for a great tournament and everything seemingly running smoothly, would go again.

edit: Bryan making history!

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
dallas has a history of being a little ridiculous, but that's old dallas. i have a lot of johns, but that's just what happens. the tournament was definitely pretty fun, got to meet cool peeps, i'll do a shoutout post at some point. :3

tournament was fine, bracketing was good i just got the rough end of the stick of how things unfolded and a randomizer turned out. even while that rusty i had a lot of fun at a tournament. no tf2 next season, time to get my chops back in melee. i want to go back to the next one and show up big as non-rusty, beast coast hazy. also can't wait to work on our own tourny. can we call it the cell games? ;)

Top Bottom