• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Actually, I don't know, since it was the weekend no one called me lol

Also my first day trying to play fei, I got 18 of his trials done. I know that doesn't sound impressive, but compared to like anyone else, that's way more for me lol My hands are too slow.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Wait, Yawara... How in the **** are your hands "too slow?"/no Sonic
You are a Captain Falcon main in Melee. You are NOT slow. If anyone is 'slow' its my dusty ***... I've been getting by on thinking ahead and well placed moves for years. If I could actually execute half the **** I think of, I would have taken a LOT of people down by now... :(

You just have to adjust to using a stick and getting the timing for combos down. Once you do that, you will have cleared a huge barrier and can actually start learning setups and matchups.

I hope you stay with Makoto, because from what I've seen, your reads and follow ups are really good (again, a great skill developed from Melee), you just need to get your execution down(a major hurdle for learning her). Fei is a good middle ground for learning the basic game system, however, so I like the idea.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
My biggest problem right now is switching from defense to offense. Like, i don't know when to stop blocking to attack, and it's super easy for me to drop links cause they're hard, and it's too much to think about at times.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
If you're having problems with links, I would suggest learning "plinking," which is short for "Priority Linking." There's a few Youtube vids of this, but it's basically hitting two buttons(rather than just the one) to give yourself double the chance at hitting those links and not dropping the combo. It takes a bit of practice(I'm still working on getting it down myself), but basically every top player does it and your rate for completing links will skyrocket.

As far as switching from offense to defense, it's just something that will come with time and experience, but usually you don't want to challenge the opponents' jabs and just wait for them to either push themselves away(where they can be punished by your best/furthest reaching poke) or try to grab(which can be throw-teched). From there, you can usually follow up with your own offense or bait them into doing something punishable( a whiffed poke or special move usually), which is where the bulk of your damage will come from.

Basically, practice frequently and everything will come with time and experience...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
It's just frustrating cause I keep recognizing that I'm making mistakes after the fact, and it's too easy to fall for the easier lower damage combos as opposed to finishing them, but my fingers freeze up.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Swedish team got first, French second...US third/fourth.

Westrice plays my same Main/Sub combo. he's really good.
Akali-Miss Fortune. Of course we build the one monolithic akali build.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
WHOOO I just won my first online match in AE!

Which is stupid cause my first match in AH3 was my first win while for AE it took like 50 tries or something. But I'm like afraid to keep playing now for fear of me dropping again lol

Also I would've won like a dozen other matches, but freaking PSN lag johns.

One match was a best to three, last match, and the internet lagged right before I was going to command grab to super or even Ex-Rekka for the kill, but lag just bursted in, and afterwards, I lost complete control of my character. Like, I couldn't jump or block or anything, and before all I needed to do was chip him out, and now I"m put in a situation where I'm just like dead cause I couldn't move.

Also I wanna start playing LoL too.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
When I play fighting games online, no matter whether I win or lose I always somehow have a justification to play another match...

that match was too laggy
I need to get my ranking points back
I'm on a roll now can't stop
I need to try again and learn the matchup
I should farm these noobs for points

Except in Brawl where the online doesn't work...at all...*sadface* New smash please have good netcode, or just use GGPO...

Make an LOL account right now and play with us.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
MOBAs are what they are, DOTA2 isn't going to change the genre into something else.
Yeah, mouse keyboard is **** for everything but FPS & this sort of game so what do you expect? ever try to play DMC4 on PC? lawl

Shade_

Smash Ace
That game and show are trash.

And Yawara, this is general advice that I'm sure you already know, but I'll tell you what always worked for me in terms of getting into the habit of not missing links and screwing up combos.

Pick a few specific combos that you think are the most important not to mess up, and just take it to training mode. Do them on the dummy until you can do it without thinking. It shouldn't take long. 10, 15 minutes of continuous practice to get used to one combo tops (in my opinion). Once you can do it with out thinking, then when you take it to a real match, your thinking is no longer "this button, this button, this direction, finisher", it just turns into "insert combo here".

I don't think this strategy has ever failed me. But yeah, this is a "like, duh" post, but if you could get anything out of it I hope it helps-

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Sengoku Basara is so gay, I don't understand why its so big in Japan. I played the original inagural title of the franchise, released in the US under the title Devil Kings.

As with many capcom action titles of the era, it advertised itself as "like devil may cry"
Which it isn't.
The anime is pretty much standard fare for anime these days, and not interesting, although some sequences shine.
I played the demo of the most recent game, its evolved a little over the years...and while its essentially still Dynasty Warriors ripoff, it has a more interesting weapon and combo system than dynasty warriors, and is less buggy.

Now according to all the weeaboo females that I know (which is 3) Sengoku Basara has some insane appeal to Japanese women, and fujoshi types. I really still don't understand why.

All that being said, I didn't even know there was a fighting game, is it doujin? Because I can't see capcom releasing an official fighting game on that one...

All of this aside. Shinji Mikami has a new title coming out today. Shadows of the Damned. I'll probably be checking it out since we all know that Godhand, & Vanquish are worth a small african country. From the videos I've seen, it looks to have some pretty standard survival horror (Resident Evil 4) style gameplay, but the game seems to be more focused on atmosphere, character, story, and jokes, that sort of stuff. It looks pretty outrageous and funny.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Wait, what game are you playing Kuni that requires links? O_o

Also today's my first day at work, HURRAY. In lue of this, I'm also searching for other places to work, someone hit me up with a recommendation, HOOLLLA

Shade_

Smash Ace
I don't play it much anymore cus I found out it was as broken as brawl. But there was this fighting game called "Touhou" that my bro got me into. I only got into it because it was based on projectiles.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I figured it was something not as mainstream lol Didn't really know anyone played the Touhou fighter though.

Also I just watched Daigo wreck Fchamp's dhalsim with Yun after he came back versus his Ryu. It's not even fair lol

Shade_

Smash Ace
I don't play games that aren't mainstream because they aren't mainstream or anything. But I assure you the Touhou fighter is not balanced. The first release had 3 Metaknight characters, the rest of the characters were somewhat balanced though. Everyone got the second patch when it came out, and what did we find? All the characters became balanced better, but the 3 MK character actually got buffs, further separating them from all other characters... what?

This game is an excellent example of the opposite type of problem most video game design teams have. When you have too many good artists and not enough math nerds and programmers to tell them they need to focus more on game play and less on story and characters. "Each character has to be unique and match their attacks with their personality" they say...Yeah, IF YOU WANT UNBALANCED CHARACTERS!!! Making characters fit a category like can't be the main aim. Before that, balance must come first. Tohou looks really pretty, but too it's just really bluntly unbalanced. Which is why I quit it. Same reason for Brawl actually lol.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Well I haven't played I just heard that in tournament its anybodies game.

I hope everyone is coming to the monthly this saturday.

Texas is sending some dustloopers up, so I hope to see Kos Mos and Chase representing in some Arcana and BBCS2. FUMrBear will hopefully make it out as well. And in the end hopefully we can all beat EKUSUCALIBA! spam.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
That's why all of us should just play one character, one stage with no items.

That is the fairest way to play any game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So who wants to pay me through the monthly this weekend? :D

I'll be your best friend!

I kid, have fun this weekend everyone.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I have like 25 dollars on me, period, including quarters. So I can afford it, I'll just be in serious hell afterward.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
IS ANYONE IN TULSA ABLE TO GIVE some tulsa players a ride?

Seriously, there are at least 4 players in tulsa (other than Chuck and Afro) that should really be making it down to provide some competition for DFW players.
Fort worth dustloopers traveling 6 hours and half of Oklahoma BB/AH with any talent is piddling 2 hours away. its super frustrating.

Tommy
Animefreak
Dave Nguyen
Nico

Hell I'd pick them up myself if I could.

And what about that smash bros player that is from Tulsa that might be headed down? Any word form him?

Top Bottom