• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
My friend aaron won't let me live this one down, as soon as they lost he was IMing me about it. "lololoololololollolol they suck"........

Texas will lose and OU will still go to the big 12 championship, where we will beat down mizzou then projecting us up to number 1 again [/prediction]

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I think Bama's gonna cruise up, or Florida if they beat LSU today. The SEC is just too ridiculous to not be thought about. And man, Stoops can't coach big games worth ****. That last quarter wasn't Texas defense so much as it was plain inefficiency. I don't think OU can get back to number one, maybe two but then again we have a schedule with two impressive opponents, so we'll definitely be in the picture in the end.

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
i always hope for the best

The thing about OU fans is that we always think we can win the national title every year

0-7 record "C'MON GUYS if we step up these next few games and there are a few upsets near the top we can still go to the national title game!" :p

Shade_

Smash Ace
Ok, i just want to know some solid facts, what day are we planning to get back from kansas because i have to work on sunday evening............. Also i have decided that since i can't make enough money for the hotel and stuff i'll just sleep in the car assuming i still go.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Kuni, my friend needs to leave Saturday at like 4/5 so we'll leave then regardless if the tourney finishes or not. And I thought you requested off already . . .

Either way, you're going. You're committed, and you'll make Bryan mad if you don't go.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
what tourny are you guys goin to kansas for? the bi weekly or the melee one in KC? ill be at the bi weekly

big disappointment in OU...i dont think there is anybody else in the Big12 south that can beat Tx...maybe Tx Tech. If they beat texas and we beat Tech that might be good...i think bama will be 1 then mizzou then Tx then penn state

Scud

Smash Apprentice
when I see bama, i think Obama.

So uh Yawara you mean Sunday....and uh isn't there some way we could stay the whole time...I was hoping to see the finals....

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I am honestly not that impressed by Texas. I think any team with a good running game can beat them.

Really, what gave us away is that Bradford can't throw under pressure, our secondaries blow, our rush defense blows, and our special teams blow. If we had a good ground game to complement our passing (I'm really serious in my criticisms on OU's running game) then we'd have won. But we don't, so too bad.

Texas only really has a good running game complemented by a consistent enough passing game and a good rush defense. I'm not sure Tech willl do the job, but I think that Mizzou or Kansas can. Big 12's stacked, and looking at last year, how many Number 1 teams have fallen?

The same will happen this year. If Texas rises, they'll fall within 2 weeks or so. The BCS despite its criticisms allow for some exciting games now a days since the field is leveled (at least in only the Big 12 and SEC). I think it's too early to make assumptions for late stage right now, but I think TX has a good shot at getting the number one ranking. I expect Florida to jump if they beat LSU or vice versa, and Bama is IMO the best team in college football at the moment.

Also @ YD: I come from the SEC where I see teams have to play hard every week to lose. I'm naturally cynical since competition there has never been easy ever.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Double post for important information since I realized it was way too long.

@ Brett:

I typed all of this up before, but then it deleted so I'll try my best to concentrate and write again. Also, I have had more time to think this out so bear with me and just read till the end. This will all make sense, believe me.

With regards to Sunday, the tourney starts at 11. If we're lucky, the round of 16 and 32 respectively will end, and we'll also get lots of friendlies in. But we'll see what happens, but I will leave early if necessary because I need to bring my friend to the airport. But now the important stuff.

The total number of players going to Oklahoma now is going to be:

Brandon
Chris
Babac
Paemon
Andy
Bryan
Kuni
Michael
Brett
Yawara
Tony (my friend)
(later on Coty)

With regards to rides, I've been thinking and I believe this is the best way to solve things. As of right now, we have exactly three drivers prepped to go to Kansas.

Brett
Andy (in Michael's car)
Brandon

I believe that the best way for us to transport everyone and everything there smoothly is to structure the ride situation like this:

Andy (in Michael's car)
--Michael
--Yawara
--Tony
--Kuni

Brett
--Chris
--Bryan

Brandon
--Babac
--Paemon

Now, Andy is driving Michael's car for 600 miles. There is absolutely no way that Michael would not ride with Andy. On top of that, Andy and I have already decided regardless of what happens, we're going to ride together. I don't think it's a secret that we like to talk with each other, and we've also decided in case anything like San Antonio happens again, we can probably fix things up again. Also, I need Tony to ride with me since we’re best friends, and I’m the only one he knows. As for Kuni, Andy’s not only going to help pay for a huge chunk of the trip, but he’s also his best friend.

As for Brandon’s car, I think it’s obvious why Babac and Paemon are riding with him, and that’s also the reason as to why I think Chris and Brett need to be together as well.

This means that there will be 3 cars going, 2 with 3 people and 1 with 5 people. But before people start pointing out inconsistencies, I believe this is the absolute best method for us to approach things.

In fact, I'm 100% certain this is the best way to approach things.

My friend (Tony) will have to leave early, that’s a fact, and there’s no way I’m not going to make sacrifices for that, don’t care what anyone else wants. Kuni and I have to get back to OU early as well, and Andy said he’s 100% fine with us leaving early, which means that our car will most probably set out first.

Also, with the way things is, Michael’s car will have the least amount of room of all of ours, but that’s fine because of the limited amount of people in the other cars. Also, I’m going to bring a full set up to Kansas meaning I’m bringing a TV, Gamecube, and VCR (yes, all three) so we can have our own friendlies table, and I want someone else to bring another gamecube as well. That way we can have two TVs in the hotels for practice on Friday.

And as for gas money, no we won’t make 3 people pay for 600 bucks worth of gas. The tab will be split EVENLY among 12 people (yes, 12). That way the cars with less people aren’t strained.

But aside from that, I want everyone to bring the following on the trip: Clothes, toiletries, and at least one pillow.

This is a three day trip, make no short note of that. We will be sleeping for two days, but I want to make sure that this is going to be a smooth tourney with no mishaps so I’m planning ahead now which is why I have this little check list I came up with.

TO DO LIST:
1) Make sure you have no commitments on Friday to Sunday. Cancel any events in case anything happens. Do it ASAP! Remember you guys are committed to this for over a month now, and people depend on your showing up or else everyone’s plans are screwed. Don’t **** around now.

2) Pack for three days. Make sure you have enough clothes, towels, tooth brushes, contacts, glasses, chargers for phones/cameras/etc on this trip. Don’t waste any time preparing, make sure you’re 100% ready.

3) POST YOUR NUMBERS ON THE BOARDS SO WE CAN COMMUNICATE BETWEEN CARS!!! This is important, and be sure you have more than 2 numbers in case one doesn’t pick up.

4) Post what extra equipment you’re going to bring. Already besides my usual stuff, I will have a TV, a cube, a VCR, a laptop, and a camera so I can record everything on this trip. I’m planning to make a montage of everything, but I really want Brandon AND Bryan to help me do the same.

5) Don’t forget to pack bedding material. I don’t want people complaining about not being comfortable. I’m sure the minimum everyone here needs is a pillow, correct? No johns if you don’t get a good night sleep, and don’t expect to take anything away from anyone.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
This is the large tourney in Kansas City.

I guess everything sounds good to me. I don't think me brining a cube will help....because what is really needed is TVs.

Yawara....flash and bisu are out of the OSL now.......what has life come to. I hope Best wins, though I'm a bit surprised he made it this far again. Speaking of Starcraft....PRACTICE PEOPLE :-O.

Gravity

Smash Ace
Ok, i just want to know some solid facts, what day are we planning to get back from kansas because i have to work on sunday evening............. Also i have decided that since i can't make enough money for the hotel and stuff i'll just sleep in the car assuming i still go.
theres no assuming you can go. theres going.

also, as long as i have a say in it you wont be sleeping in a car.

Auddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Auddy07
Hey Alex, don't feel bad, I didn't get in the combo vid either. Should I record some matches and then send them via e-mail so you can put me on the video, Sars?

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
XD did you give up on brawl??
Nah, but, compared to playing Melee, I find playing Brawl to be quite boring; there just isn't as much freedom of motion. That, and there's a big Melee tournament in Kansas next weekend, so playing Brawl is kind of pointless to be right now. However, I had forgotten that Chris and Brandon had a large Brawl tournament of their own for which they needed to practice.

when I see bama, i think Obama..
Lol, I do too.

The plans for Kansas look good. I'll probably bring my little Gamecube monitor, so we need to make sure that there's a Gamecube in Brett's car.

Also, I want to get some video of myself playing recorded before Kansas, since I think watching it might help me improve my playstyle.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
To add to what Kuni posted earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-0eOjOoSeg

Edit for Auddy:

Ah, I guess that could work, but I was hoping that you'd come down and play with us to get clips just cause I want there to be more varied opponents, and I can also know what to look out for as in things that are signature to you.

For instance, i'm going to include: Kuni running away, Po misfires or up-bs vs Sheik, Bryan getting a spike that he didn't combo into, Pablo walking and smashing, Andy shooting me with missiles into a nair, Chris edgeguarding, me suiciding, Brett spamming lasers, and Alex not being in the video at all.

Auddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Auddy07
Well, like I said earlier, this Thursday if someone has a smashfest we CAN come up there, but I haven't heard anything.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I don't want to put my place up for Thursday cause of my roommates, but I'm also very willing to skip Friday. :/

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
can you guys belief this lol

Wichita, KS Brawl Bi-Weeklies (Next: 10/18/08) META KNIGHT WILL BE BANNED ON THE 18th

po pimpus

Smash Ace
can you guys belief this lol

Wichita, KS Brawl Bi-Weeklies (Next: 10/18/08) META KNIGHT WILL BE BANNED ON THE 18th
...and so it begins...

At this point, I think it's a REALLY terrible idea to ban Meta Knight, because it allows people to be lazy in their gameplay and sets a terrible precedent.

Also, as far as the trip to Kansas City is concerned, I want everyone to be clear on this one thing:

MAKE SURE YOU ARE 100% PACKED AND READY TO GO NO LATER THAN NOON ON FRIDAY!!

THAT ALSO INCLUDES ANY SNACKS OR DRINKS YOU WANT FOR THE TRIP.

DRIVERS, MAKE SURE WE'RE GASSED UP AND READY TO GO THE DAY BEFORE.

I hate, hate, HATE it when people are unprepared/or waste time on trips on things they should have already had done days before... Let's not waste a ton of time waiting around this time, okay?

I say noon because Chris doesn't get off of work until then, otherwise I would be wanting to leave around 10 or 11 on Friday morning. I hate driving at night, and I don't want this to be a San Antonio-type situation (although the majority of that can be blamed on the state of Texas itself ;) )

So I think us hitting the road around one or two at the latest should be the goal. Also, each driver should have a copy of Mapquest'd/Google'd directions and whoever rides shotgun should help with navigation, such as calling out exit #'s and turns. Each driver should have the phone numbers of the other drivers so we can keep each other alerted and contacted in case we get separated or something.

That's all I can think of right now, but if anything else comes up, I'll post up.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
man i wish i could go all the way to KC for the melee tourny...id bust out my IG on them...they wouldnt know what happend

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Err, I don't get out of Chemistry until 3:20 PM on Friday. However, if that is a major problem, I could probably skip class that day, since we'll probably just be reviewing the exam, in which case I'd be out of classes at 11:20 AM, instead.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Err, I don't get out of Chemistry until 3:20 PM on Friday. However, if that is a major problem, I could probably skip class that day, since we'll probably just be reviewing the exam, in which case I'd be out of classes at 11:20 AM, instead.
Ah, I assumed that since the high school kids were going to be out on Friday, that you guys would be too, an error on my part... I don't want to cause anybody to miss any school, but I would really like to hit the road early, because nighttime driving is not my friend.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Hm, do we all need to leave at the same time, even though there are different cars? It might be a good idea just to make sure everyone leaves with everything they need and everyone gets there in one piece (watch out if you are in Brandon's car, :p).

As for Bryan and Chris, I like the idea of leaving early...my last class ends at 12:30 which I think I won't skip since it's only 30 min past noon, so....when can you guys get out?

Btw, do we have a hotel that we are planning on going to? Or are we trying just to find one when we get there (bad idea) ?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Plan is we all leave at noon, no later no earlier. Bryan, you're skipping Chem, you know you don't need to show up to class dude, it's balls easy.

We need to contact Michael though and make sure his car is in Norman that day no questions.

Also, everything Po posted is right. Make sure you're 100% packed with snacks, drinks, etc. If you ain't ready, you ain't . . . steady?

Let's set up a rally point somewhere though. Babac's house if he lets us? Can someone contact him for me?

Tyrannosaurus

Smash Cadet
We need to contact Michael though and make sure his car is in Norman that day no questions.
I have my car down here right now.

Caveats:

We absolutely cannot drive at night, my speedometer needle doesn't light up like it should and driving at night (even twilight) is the worst thing in the world.

I also don't have much trunk space, but the other cars only have 3 people in them so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Also, five people is gonna be kind of a squeeze (2 doors!) but we can do it.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Ya, you guys can meet up at my house. I'll just skip my 50 minute history class, you guys can come as early as you want (read: after 8am). Should be fun just the little bit of smash time before you guys go mop the competition. I unfortunately cannot make it, I have to work and I really dont think I can get somebody to cover 16 hours total for me on saturday and sunday.

Shade_

Smash Ace
sorry guys but my classes all begin at 12 30, they finish at 2 20, could we leave then? I have never skipped a class, as lame as that is i feel really uncomfortable with doing so, and i really don't want to risk my grade going down since in english attendance does play a chunk of my grade and i have like a borderline b- in there right now. English is my second hardest class in the world so yeah.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
I wont call in sick, I need the money. I barely get 30 hours as it is since I go to school every other day. I would love to go, I really would, but a week ago the situations were uncertain and that was the dead to ask for those days off.

Top Bottom