• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
will you be here by friday? there's a SF going on :)
Welllllll, I was going to surprise you guys and give you or Billy a call as soon as I got in, but I forgot that you guys stalk our thread on occasion. =) But hell yeah, playing with you guys is one of the main reasons I'm excited to visit, so I'm in. I haven't checked the Dallas thread in the last couple of days, but are you guys hosting/attending some sort of bi-weekly this weekend as well?

X_A

Smash Rookie
So someone finally told me that the Smashboards community doesn't acknowledge wave dashing as a glitch - now I START to understand why you have been going after my horrible Melee knowledge like it mattered.

I REPENT!

I still think wavedash is the "hidden manuever or tactic" that represents Melee best of all of those types of manuevers. It was the "ear mark of good play" I saw player after player look for. If replacing out the word glitch is good enough to be happy, then yay.

See - Smores is happy.

"but because we don't feel someone to be the best is not at all a shot at him"
I'm sorry, but if the community you play in doesn't respect you, why even !@#W$ing stick around? I hope this is pondered by at least someone after I'm gone.

You say OK needs to improve in skills. Yet you personally, and a 'select circle of your friends' actively ignore those that have skills but might happen to have picked up the character you guys hate. What's a word for that? Anyway, you alienate and scare people off treating them this way, and other habits I've seen both in person and on these forums.

I wish the connection was seen that anyone in the OKC or OK community can't be like that if you want to progress. There is hope with some of the nicer guys being around, but I guess it all just comes down to who gets to them first in this community. I've voiced it officially, so now I can be at peace on the subject.

YOU WANT TO HATE SOMEONE - hate me - I specifically told Josh to go with Metaknight months ago. Playing low tier competitively and wanting to win are a bad combination. I told him to go with a top tier and use his skills to his advantage. Maybe you guys are still behind and attach 'honor' and some things that hold you back - but I've learned otherwise, and wouldn't lie to him.

That's right. Saif. Hate Saif, go ahead, but take the target off Josh, he just picked someone he had more fun with than Snake, etc that wasn't LOW TIER.

I'm sorry your poor. I only asked about you travelling because you treated me like I was trash due to some stupid post count, and act like you've been around what I have. I've played all three versions of the game out of state, traveling to Norman, OKC, Chi, Albuquerque, and Dallas playing one of the 3 games. I've met too many players of smash with potential to advance, but aren't on this forums. But it's a forum, and an established community with it's own clear since of values, and people think what they'll think.

I love how after saying I don't play melee, and I was trying to flail about and speak the right terms to describe options on handling Metaknight, I'm called a newb and you throw in metagame like I tried to tie it in to block throw and the basics I thought I was clearly referring to, acting like I was trying to convey it as deep deep logic. I still got alot of blockthrow off against Metaknight, and while it's obvious that I don't know the proper terms, I'm just too much of a newb to offer suggestions, what was I thinking.

I played and lost to Metaknights tonight. I got stocks, but overall lost. Then again the players that beat me are better PLAYERS than I am. Before I knew how to fight Bowser - they beat me with bowser. Before I knew how to fight Yoshi, they beat me with Yoshi. And those who are NOT - and have played Metaknight against me have lost. Then again I'm considering the value of the player, unblinded by the character's value only.

I'm sure you think OKC is welcoming and such, but you yourself are new and haven't been to recent events, so how are you so sure what I've seen? I don't feel the people outside of we'll say "OKC" that are turned off by the boards and how people are treated were lying. The mere fact you were ready to string me up on post count was enough. Sure I was calling out your community, and I still think rightfully so. I have definite multiple cases of whining, and you even clearly state you have ignored Josh; but I digress. Clearly all the people I've talked to, and heard their concerns for the community were wrong, and the only thing needed is a magical improvement in competition, which I'm sure will come from inner, and not outside. Good luck in that future.

X A

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I don't get that post at all Po.

Talking about OK smash players in the OK thread causes us to digress? :/ And the reason why OK isn't good is because of the lack of competition. National tourneys really don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. That's also why our Kos-Mos is still highly regarded among Peach players in the world. That's just the way it is. If we can't even handle a little cross town rivalry like this, then . . . what chance do we have of handling an actual real one?

Reason why Chris lost in San Antonio is because nobody here manned up and helped him out. I had a scrubby Falcon, you had a scrubby Luigi, Bryan had a scrubby Marth, Brett/Andy had a scrubby etc, and nobody here can manage to play a decent Peach.

This little debate about who's the best creates competition which is what invariably makes people grow and become better. Brett Favre wouldn't be the quarterback he is today if he didn't throw against actual contending teams. The road to being a good player in anything is through hard work and competition. that's just the way it is, no easy short cuts, and if this rivalry does ensue, then it'll only spell out good for OK smash in general.

I don't get why you're opposed to this idea.

And what exactly do you want us to do right now anyway? Train to beat . . . m2k? When we can't even beat people who aren't m2k? If we worth against each other, get better, move up, and then play versus OoS people and beat them, then we'll be better players.

And also, both Hanson and Chris have beat renown players in Brawl. Chris also just happened to do it too in Melee only recently versus a guy named Ken. They're a good yardstick for us to measure our skill. I don't get why you're upset then if we discuss about it.

[edit for saif]

Why are you constantly throwing around the word hate? I haven't even met Josh yet, and you say I hate him and then you try to offer yourself as a martyr for me to throw my stinging words out at you.

The difference between competition and hate is pretty big last time I checked. And the word is thrown around way too liberally in your post. I don't hate Josh, nor do I hate any other competitive player. In sports, people throw around the word hate like for instance an LSU fan would say, "I hate 'bama cause of Saban." That doesn't mean they actually hate them. Nor did I ever think I even posted anything about my personal feelings towards Josh.

I'm pretty sure any discussion we've had with Josh involved had me dodging around Josh's name and praising Chris or putting down Metaknight.

Also, alienating and scaring people off? The only way you actually alienate people is if you rush into a community and blindly assume things that are just blatantly false. This thread has never chased away anyone. The only reason why some people end up leaving is because they see the difference in skill levels and then decide it's not worth the time/effort/etc.

At the end of the day, if we have a rivalry or not, this thread will remain the Oklahoma thread. Any amount of trash talking and cross post pissing won't change that fact at all. This is the OK thread, we hate Texas, we'll **** them in crews. But when it comes to local tourneys, I've got my money on Norman peeps.

And you're not the only one that's traveled too. I've only been to one OoS tourney, but I've witnessed the core of the competitive scenes in NO, BR, OK, and TX. On top of that, we've had players from the Panhandle, Georgia, and Mississippi come in to play us so we can see the differences in skills. It's no joke that I know about tournament scenes. And I also know what makes players develop because I've seen a lot as well.

Ask Alex about the NE thread, and he'll give you his take on why a rivalry is necessary. Or if you don't want to wait for him, let me share with you my experience.

In Louisiana, there are two major cities for smash (64, melee, and Brawl). New Orleans/Houma and Baton Rouge/Lafayette. Laf/BR has the largest center of new bloods and veterans. They're the biggest and the shoutiest. Houma and NO however have three of the absolute best players all around, and they're the ones everyone looks up to when it comes to playing OoS players. Everyone gets along fine. But when it comes to just regional play, of course there's a rivalry.

In Houma: Cyphus/Lee
In NO: JonWu, Ricky, Ray, Chad
In BR: Taylor, Tim, Kyle, Eet

These players are constantly vying for the top, and Lee is always seen as the best player. Doesn't stop BR from trying to challenge him all the time, and it doesn't stop JonWu from claiming he can beat Taylor/Lee any day. That's the kind of rivalry I want in OK. One that motivates players to do well but is still open for anyone to jump in. After Brawl especially, the LA thread saw a huge influx of players I've never heard of, but we didn't turn them away. They're now integrated with the top batch of players, and they're active in our community and repping their own regions.

Call what we have in LA hate if you want, but everyone there seems to get along just fine.

And shieldgrabbing as a measure against Metaknight wasn't only noticed by me as a "did he really jus--?" statement. Before I said anything about your post, two players knew exactly what point I was going to bring up. If you want to voice your opinions on why the metgame should reach a certain juncture, it does require knowledge to do so. That's like me, an outsider in the SC2 scene, saying I think that Sophitia should use heavy attacks to beat Taki. I'm pretty sure you'll find something wrong with that logic and tear through the argument in a second.

And for God sakes, you know why I brought up post counts. I already argued as to why your previous points were inane and baseless. Your lack of smash knowledge to which you have admitted and your post count should qualify to do one thing: Render your high opinions of smash metagame worthless.

If I were to create an account on SRK right now, go to a SF:3 thread, and tried to create controversy by needlessly pressing issues for the sake of doing them with a total of 12 post counts, how many people do you think would jump on me for doing so? It's not discriminatory if it's got a reason behind it. It doesn't matter what my background in the game is, if I post things that are incorrect, they will be shot down immediately.

If you had triple the post count that I did, walked in the OK thread, and called us out for no reason like you did, I'd do the exact same thing. And again, it's not whining. It's complaining. The subtle but neccesary change in diction alters the core of your argument completely--especially since you've misunderstood basically everything that's been said.

We just got out of a smash fest, and I don't think anyone there left without feeling somewhat that Metaknight can be beaten. There, I explained my reason as to why I think a certain character can be used as an anti-MK character or more specifically, I gave away the core of my theory as to what should be done in order to beat MKs.

This will be undoubtedly the dumbest and stupidest fights that any of us will have. I'm not looking forward to testing my theory, and I'm hoping someone else gets it right before I do so I don't have to deal with it.

And ignoring Josh? Please, don't be over dramatic about it. Since the tourney, I've heard so much about Josh, I can't begin to ignore it. I don't even know this kid, and yet it seems like I already know his playing style, and I've seen a grand sum of 40 seconds of a vid of his. Saying we ignore Josh is like saying the public ignored the pope when he was on his deathbed. It's both impossible and untrue.

But aside form that, I think the end of your paragraph more or less explains the viewpoint that I have on this whole situation.

If OK smash wants to become like Texas or cali or MD/VA or Florida, we need competition. Just sitting at home pressing buttons won't do. Everyone needs to bring their A-game at smashfests, work on strats, and then try them out at the next tourney and specifically aim to take down people from ______.

That's really just it. Imagine how awesome our Melee scene would be right now if Chris had competition for Chris sake.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
That's really the point I was really trying to make, Yawara. Us mid-level guys are going to have to stop playing like mid-level guys and start upping our games. I was downright sick in San Antonio when I couldn't even get out of my pool... I KNOW I'm better than that.

Same thing in Brawl when I struggle/fail to put away people Josh/Hanson/Chris swat aside like flies. So really, its just me being frustrated that I can't help get these guys better by being a bigger challenge...

That is truly the core of it. We need MORE guys on Hanson/Josh/Chris' level if we're going to make a dent in the national scene. That is why I suggest ending the petty flaming and focusing on getting better. Sure, healthy competition is one thing, but endless flaming and arguing over 'who's the best' is useless. We should all be striving to BE the best, not just watching from the sidelines...

Gravity

Smash Ace
well i never thought the day would come, but ive grown tired of reading pages of texts and posts in the ok thread.

what happened to spamming about hot pockets? but seriously, what are we even arguing about anymore?
i think the only reason its still going on is because somebody doesnt know when to stop posting, someone loves to argue, and someone is kuni.

anyway, im all up for rivalry but not when it takes me 30 minutes to read it every time i post.

so brett, video games this weekend?

-edit-

i guess no one saw this or no one cared, but
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3578032

its mccains wife drifting. how can you not want to see that.

Shade_

Smash Ace
No andy, I've said all I wanted to say, all thats left to do is have a money match personally and settle things the old fashon way.

I'm going to be one of those guys striving to get to hanson's/josh/ and chris's level. But I'll do it with out metaknight and I guarantee I will.

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
No andy, I've said all I wanted to say, all thats left to do is have a money match personally and settle things the old fashon way.

I'm going to be one of those guys striving to get to hanson's/josh/ and chris's level. But I'll do it with out metaknight and I guarantee I will.
He'll probably do one of the following

1. not even play you

2. throw the match.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Shut the **** up, i wasnt talking to you nor care about you. Dont assume s***! You dont know anything about me.
lolubad to the bone

melee PR still going on? hit me up on aim about it, hanson/whoever is counting votesssss

edit: F it, i'll count the votes...chris/yawara/whichever other 2 people were doing it please send me a 1-15 list on AIM or pm through the boards. i'll then pm everyone back the final tally and if there are any strong arguments to be made, you can make them or say "that looks good" and i'll give it to hanson to add below brawl on the PR thread........so yeah.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ill be goning to the ONSNAPY 4. ill just need a pick up from the bus station. im buying my tix on oct 1st

Shade_

Smash Ace
I don't see why he wouldn't play me, its just 5 dollars. He should have plenty. And if he throws the match then i get money, either way there is no harm in trying.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Shade, lets play when i get to OK. ive missed ya, pal. DO u still have the FE vhs i gave you? or did it break?

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
with your word choice, he doesn't really feel very welcome to this community. also, he doesn't have to prove anything to you. Heck, if you put my name on there instead of his, id consider quitting the game.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Alex, dude, trust me when I say I can rank skill.

And trust me when I say Babac got better and there are versus match results to prove it. Will PM that info to you later.

The Melee PRs will be awesome. But just so we can get the list of players for us to rank up, remember we have:

Kos-Mos
Hazygoose
Shade_
Scud
Gravity
Po Pimpus
Marc Madness
Vegafuse
Heathq
Crackboom
Akasori no sis . . .
Young Dillan
Rasta Imposta (I'm serious dude, he's in my top 10 fa sho)
Zinth
Paemon
Sars_Pirate
King GT

And aside from that we have, IDK . . .

Brett's mom?

Also to recap on panelists:

Alex, Chris, me, Bryan, Brett.

Those are the ones who are voting, so if you read this, get your *** in gear and do it now. It takes literally 3 minutes to do.

I guess Alex will be the mediator.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
yawara is forgetting:

Auddy
Hanson (yes, i said it! his sheik isn't too bad at all...)
Tyler and Outlaw from Craig's crew
Tire'o'Fire and Wut? from Gt's crew

got Yawara's list, need Chris, Brett, and Bryan to get me a list FAST since it's already been a while.
Rapido, Rapido, Andale, Vamonos!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Didn't know if Hanson wanted to be on it, but if he is, you know the thing I said towards the end aout Tyler and Outlaw? yeah.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Ok, Im not reading all of the other posts.

Thanks for thinkin I'm still up there with the others Y-dub. Theres a lot I need to improve on, and I'll do my best at that.

I might go to the Kansas city tournament, dont know, it all depends. OHSNAP4 I will definitely be there... I hope, not sure if I have to work that day or not (usually I work all day on the weekends). Im pretty busy now, so I dont have much time to play smash, but Ill let you guys know when I can have a few people over.

Melee fo lyf

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
>__>
I'm gonna be on the PR? sweet!

lol DILLON.. My names is always spelled wrong, either Dylan or Dillan, once somebody spelled it Dillin.. wtf?, DILLON

anyways, I thought about what Brett told me, and I just watched some of the melee matches I recorded with my friends from awhile ago, and I really should just stop and think, applies to both brawl and melee

And I didn,t really know how good (i use this in my opinion) I am at brawl..... yeah I know the brawl takes no skill subject but whateva, I was atleast keeping up with Hanson, but chris is just.. I dont know... a playstyle that I'm not used to so he still beat me pretty bad.
I used to think that i was just another player. Of course I'm not good enough currently to go and win tournaments, but I am alot better than I thought I was

Also, Marth is now my main in brawl. I dropped meta after seeing how insanely easy to use he is and I still use snake a bit, but I am now focusing on bettering myself with marth in brawl

I CANNOT PLAY MELEE! ;( I can't find another disk and mine doesn't read. Does anybody have a disk for sale/ a disk that I can borrow? I could pick it up next smashfest perhaps.

Gravity

Smash Ace
i would go so far as to say that babacs better than me at melee. i wouldnt make it official until theres a bit of money on the line, but if last weekend was any hint at anything, hes better than a lot of us.

anyway hanson, i can put up like 20 bucks towards the pot of ohsnap. i know its not much, but you cant beat something for nothing..

can someone please link me to the kansas tourny thread so i can ask for the days off?

and lastly whos going to that october 5th tourny in tulsa area?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
October 5th is the Houston tourney IIRC.

We get free housing there, so yeah.

If I get a job by then or if I have 50 dollars because of some unknown reason, then I'll do double tourneys in the month of October.

LOL

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Man, where is everybody? You guys are willing to duke it out over MK and the mechanics of Smash for 40 pages, but my tourney thread gets no love? =) I need all interested parties of OH SNAP! v4 to mosey on over to the tournament thread and confirm their attendance there. Thanks.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait for that PR... for both games
Yawara, that sig is epic win!
It's gonna be awesome seeing babac back in action...
Still probably better than me lol
GOTO THE OHSNAP 4 PAGE ALREADY!

Shade_

Smash Ace
Oh well, if he doesn't accept, I wont force it, but Id like him to. I'm just curious to see how I'd stand up to him were he to play serious.

Anyway I don't understand your sig yawara but the fact it has no johns made me laugh. lol.

And I honestly belive brett should be higher than me on the power rankings he beats me like 90% of the time we play.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Dillon, are you going to be able to make it to OH SNAP! v4?

Also, the following people need to go confirm their attendance in the tournament thread (so that it looks like there will be legitimate participation):

Max Power/Gay $$$/Chain Throw > D-air Spike
Zinth
Shade
Scud
KOS-MOS
Po (if you post, then I'm assuming Marc will be coming too)
Vegafuse
Smores
Hazy?

PhLo, can you give me a head count and post the names of the Stillwater people who are on lock to participate in the tourney thread?

And GT, is wut? coming?

Anyone know of anyone else that I'm forgetting or anyone they can invite? Let's get this **** rollin'!

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i have to find out if i'll be in the state first, hanson. but if i'm in OK when it goes down i'll show up...i'll even spend 10 bucks on brawl and lose 2 rounds to support the ok smash scene <3

Smores

Smash Rookie
(sorry for bringing it back up but I can't post at work and I wanted to say this)
X _ A - Okc/Norman players are very accepting. I posted like 3 times in the thread and they invited me to a smashfest. They didn't know me, they never met me, they were just open and ACCEPTING of a new person. They were extremely nice to me and my friend.

(back on topic)
I will definitely be going to OHSNAPV4 (after I post this I will go to the other thread and say so). Its 4 days before my B-Day, and also happens to be my first tourney with real rules. MGC does not count as real rules with the 4 stock 6 min crap. I got stalled like hell my last match of the last one, I wish I could go back and CP Shiek. He would have gotten stomped. I have been practicing, but I have had enough of Tlink for a lifetime. It would be so great to get to play a Tlink at OHSNAP. I need to play against other characters, I will always fall for obvious traps if I don't get used to MKs, Snakes, Robs etc...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yeah . . . someone needs to host a smashfest this weekend.

I heard of a legendary person with dreads that usually does this sort of thing. hmmm.

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
I posted in the tourney thread, I said I probably could, but I dont know until around that time comes, maybe like... idk.. 2 weeks before the tourney
it is still a long way away from now

wootwoot

Smores

Smash Rookie
Was RastaImpasta at the Game Stop tourney on Rockwell and Expressway? Because now that I think about it, there was a guy there who had dreads, he played ICs and everyone seemed to think he was going to dominate.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
wut? will be there and so will tyer...
Man, I can't make it to anything this weekend. Steak n Shake has me friday 5-10 and saturday 11am-9...
DAMMIT

Gravity

Smash Ace
can someone give me a ride? also tell me when you plan to leave and what days we will be gone so i can ask off work.

about houston obviously.

i still need to ask off for the houston thing, the kansas thing, and the ohsnap thing.

good thing i have an understanding boss.

just to confirm those are the weeknds of 10/4, 10/18, and 11/22 right?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yeah son.

If I get a job this month, I'll go to the Houston tourney.

I'm game to whoop on Texas.

Top Bottom