• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Shade_

Smash Ace
I've played falco for as long as I unlocked him in melee and discovered he wore his collar up. But I have always loved wolf more (sorry falco).

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, and Po, I bet I can still camp pretty well against you. Lets just go to bridge of eldon and let me be falco.
Yeah, YOU probably could camp against me pretty well. You're one of the players I've always had a hard time beating, and I don't really expect that to change anytime soon.

Hard work will always beat talent unless talent works hard... and I'm neither talented nor hard working enough to keep up with guys like you and Chris for long.

That being said, I WILL be winning next weeks MGC, so yeah, I will be pulling out all the stops on ANYONE who gets in the way of that. Po's coming with it big time... so step your games up, kids.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, YOU probably could camp against me pretty well. You're one of the players I've always had a hard time beating, and I don't really expect that to change anytime soon.

Hard work will always beat talent unless talent works hard... and I'm neither talented nor hard working enough to keep up with guys like you and Chris for long.

That being said, I WILL be winning next weeks MGC, so yeah, I will be pulling out all the stops on ANYONE who gets in the way of that. Po's coming with it big time... so step your games up, kids.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
...so I was thinking of holding a Brawl and Melee tourney sometime in the fairly near future.....

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie

Ha, watch out for the norman crew's banana's and chain throws.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
lol @ the banana puns saif was pulling out. That's NO good.
As for brett holding a super tourney, go for it, I'll go.
btw bryan, I'm putting you down as a reference on my application.

Gravity

Smash Ace
well, atleast brawl has picked the pace of the thread up again.

anwyay, i never cared about tier lists either. hence, samus in melee. and my almost stubborn quality of not doing common samus crap. instead nairs.

man, i want to play some melee. maybe we can hit it up tomorrow bryan, i have the day off.

Shade_

Smash Ace
lol, Im sure your alot better now, and its harder to spam in this game, somehow i can still manage it though.

Oh yeah the bananas and chain throw,....I have always regarded chain throwing the lowest form of play, ......its chris fault ....though he could beat me with out it, i still despise the fact they didn't completely take it out.

I'll put up a better fight against the bananas and chain throwing next time. I haven't felt so into smash in so long, i guess thats what happens when you stop going to tournys.

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
lol, Im sure your alot better now, and its harder to spam in this game, somehow i can still manage it though.

Oh yeah the bananas and chain throw,....I have always regarded chain throwing the lowest form of play, ......its chris fault ....though he could beat me with out it, i still despise the fact they didn't completely take it out.

I'll put up a better fight against the bananas and chain throwing next time. I haven't felt so into smash in so long, i guess thats what happens when you stop going to tournys.
Ha, fair enough I suppose. For me, my time has come. In melee I was always chain thrown by marth. Feels nice to have it work the other way. I'll try to not use it next time.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Na dude its cool, im used to being chain throwed, ive had it done to me way worse that what ever you do.

And po, I'm going to quote your words cus they were worded better than I have ever heard before. Its funny how you play smash and talk like this but it makes oklahoma better lol.

Man i can't wait till we start going out of state with a completely new bigger set of fresh players to brawl tournys. Crew battles will be something to look forward to haha.

Shade_

Smash Ace
What?!?! go back to arizona already!!! You suck the fun out by being awesome until you kill yourself coty. lol, just kidding, but i didn't you know you were still in OK,

Hey bryan, ....................you going to the mgc? Or is anyone going that can give me a ride?

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Andy, that's not how you play Brawl unless you're Marth, and even then, it won't work against anyone with half a brain.

And people, get off of Metaknight's nuts... that ***** ain't ****. I can guarantee you that if any of you try that Snake/Metaknight crap against me, you will lose. Unless your name is KOS-MOS, or Marc, you won't be beating me with that lame-*** camping crap.

That was another interesting thing about yesterday's MGC: No Metaknights or Snakes, even though we brought our Wiis with all the characters unlocked.

I guess people in OK actually care more about developing their own style rather than follow what the ALMIGHTY SMASHBOARDS TIER LIST says... Good stuff indeed...
Fixed. Though in actually, Dancing Blade is looking to be perhaps the defining move in Marth's game, but spamming fairs until you land a hit generally works as well.

But iono, man, Meta Knight seems to be a really great problem solver when Marth isn't working. Pay$'s MK beats my Marth? I two-stock him with MK. Some Dedede beats my Marth? I two-stock it with MK. Of course, there are people like you, Marc, and the Pokemon Trainer player against whom MK is not very effective... or maybe he just wasn't being played properly?

However, I wanted to use Meta Knight since even before Brawl was announced, so I have Meta Knight-using johns lolz.

...so I was thinking of holding a Brawl and Melee tourney sometime in the fairly near future.....
Awesome.

btw bryan, I'm putting you down as a reference on my application.
Application?

And knees.
That's what they call Snake's f-tilt nowdays.

Anyway, while I do still prefer Melee, I will say that Brawl is getting us a lot more tournaments.

And, Andy, it's funny, because Saif was a Samus-player pre-Brawl, and now he plays ROB.

Gravity

Smash Ace
yeah, rob is my main man in brawl. must be a samus thing. anyway, theres no way im paying for gas to to an oos brawl tourny.

is melee dead?

also, i cant make it to mgc, i have better things to do COUGHWORKCOUGH

anyway, maybe im mistaken and i know im biased, but brawl is starting to look not quite so not broken. ill just stick with my melee. ill still try brawl at smashfests until i get gayed by tripping, metaknight, bananas, chain grabbing, infinites, or some other gay **** that someone will discover.

what happened to the simple days when we talked about cars. . .

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I'm still waiting to see if brawl entertains me when I watch it. I'm not putting it down, but right now it doesn't seem real hopeful for me.
Since brawl will attract more people, I definitely want it if I am going to hold a tourney. Maybe some brawlers will be interested in melee.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. I've seen DDD's score chain grabs less and less consistently, and it seems possible to escape the spike from the end of Falco's chain grab (I just need to figure out the most consistent way to do so).

This doesn't make the game anywhere near as balanced as Melee, but over time some of the weeds have been pulled.

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
arghh

my msn liek.. t3h brokezorz or something and its doesnt give me any alerts when ppl post here =\

brawl and melee tourney sounds like awesome
prolly get farther in brawl than melee tho

and i didnt think so but there are still combos n brawl (i gotz a 0-80ish combo with marth)

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I don't think that Melee is dead, but Brawl is the new Melee, Melee is the new 64, and 64 is the old guy who tells you to get off his lawn. Melee is still kept alive by the hardcore crowd, but Brawl has certainly taken center stage.

Brawl really isn't that fun to watch imo, but because it is Smash Brothers I still find it fun to play. It just isn't as competitively satisfying as Melee, though. Ironically, though, it's been giving me a lot more competition per time than Melee ever did.

And yeah Kevin and Gt, I can probably give you rides to MGC.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
and i didnt think so but there are still combos n brawl (i gotz a 0-80ish combo with marth)
Not possible. Most combos in Brawl are only guaranteed at low percents, and while it's very possible score follow ups at mid percents, they are not considered true combos.

Gravity

Smash Ace
Not possible. Most combos in Brawl are only guaranteed at low percents, and while it's very possible score follow ups at mid percents, they are not considered true combos.
not possible!? those words dont exist in melee. i know thats not even close to what youre talking about, but i dont care.

hell i tihnk anythings possible with just nair. ive gotten triple nairs(reverse ones), anda 0-death combo with just nairs on CHRIS no less. i think it was FoD, and i awesome cancelled across all the platforms and *****.

man, i really want to play melee now.

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
What?!?! go back to arizona already!!! You suck the fun out by being awesome until you kill yourself coty. lol, just kidding, but i didn't you know you were still in OK,

Hey bryan, ....................you going to the mgc? Or is anyone going that can give me a ride?
If you don't live way the hell out of my way there, I could help ya out.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
*coughs*

Link to here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4983397#post4983397

I think the part I wanted to stress from Mew2King, the dude who wins at brawl, is:

"Brawl sucks ***, I have the best record at that ****ty game and even I admit it's horrible compared to melee, it's only purpose is to either have fun with stages/items or for money. Whenever I get bored I just get ***** because camping is too dominant, and I try not to camp in it sometimes but when I do I just get hit (I'm talking vs good people) and that's why it sucks. It's boring and defense is too powerful."

In case anyone missed it, the emphasis of that post was the "it's horrible compared to melee" and "I get bored" >_>

I don't understand how people can argue for Melee's death when the guys who are best at Brawl don't even want it to go on. So far as people whoa re good exist, Melee won't be going anywhere.

I mean come on! What happened, really, in the m2k vs RX finals that was remotely better than M2k vs Cort or m2k vs Shiz?

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
*coughs*

Link to here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4983397#post4983397

I think the part I wanted to stress from Mew2King, the dude who wins at brawl, is:

"Brawl sucks ***, I have the best record at that ****ty game and even I admit it's horrible compared to melee, it's only purpose is to either have fun with stages/items or for money. Whenever I get bored I just get ***** because camping is too dominant, and I try not to camp in it sometimes but when I do I just get hit (I'm talking vs good people) and that's why it sucks. It's boring and defense is too powerful."

In case anyone missed it, the emphasis of that post was the "it's horrible compared to melee" and "I get bored" >_>

I don't understand how people can argue for Melee's death when the guys who are best at Brawl don't even want it to go on. So far as people whoa re good exist, Melee won't be going anywhere.

I mean come on! What happened, really, in the m2k vs RX finals that was remotely better than M2k vs Cort or m2k vs Shiz?
I'm probably speaking out of ignorance, but Brawl has only been out for like...4 months? I'd say nobody is really giving it a fair shot. How long was Melee out before anybody started really finding anything like wave dashing or L canceling (neither of which I can do anyway).

Shade_

Smash Ace
Of course pros would find brawl less entertaining, shorter comboes, less edge guarding, easier spamming, and removal of attacks that require precision and speed of your fingers. But it makes it easier for other less skilled players to give pros a harder time with simple tactics like camping.

Which makes it my type of game especially.

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
Of course pros would find brawl less entertaining, shorter comboes, less edge guarding, easier spamming, and removal of attacks that require precision and speed of your fingers. But it makes it easier for other less skilled players to give pros a harder time with simple tactics like camping.

Haha I was about to bring that up.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord

We should all cut to the chase and just play tag. After all it's the most fair game, and what brawl was trying to acheive, right? oh wait, let's make sure to put ankle weights on the kids who can run faster.

brawl=ankle weights

I'm probably speaking out of ignorance, but Brawl has only been out for like...4 months? I'd say nobody is really giving it a fair shot. How long was Melee out before anybody started really finding anything like wave dashing or L canceling (neither of which I can do anyway).
both were discovered prior to the game's release. Not to mention L cancelling is a purposeful tool implemented back in smash 64. they took it out of brawl because...it took skill? very little skill, even. even pillaring, the "ken combo," float cancelling, and infinite shining against a wall were discovered within its first year. just sayin'. i need to play brawl more, but i don't even call it a fighting game any more. it's just a game of tag...an altered game of tag with teir lists yet no tools that take skill. it's less balanced than clay fighters. and that's just...an atrocity to the gaming community.

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
both were discovered prior to the game's release. even pillaring, the "ken combo," float cancelling, and infinite shining against a wall were discovered within its first year.
I dont understand, were they discovered in japan or something? I don't get how something is figured before its released. And I forgot about Z cancelling in 64. But give brawl another...8 months?

Gravity

Smash Ace
Wow. I thought we were done with this argument. Maybe we never will be.

Playing brawl instead of melee feels like playing nascar with autobraking on. or perfect dark on easy mode.
Or using an auto controller on metal gear solid. Or using a car 10 times as fast as your competition in Gran Turismo.

In other words it doesnt fulfill me.

anyway bryan, im ready now, so yeah. you arent on aim.

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
brawl is ok imo, i mean i can wavedash and shffl and those goodies (who is this fr3n person, he new or just come back.. what?) but im still not that great at melee.

its alot better than alot of other games, its just that we are always comparing brawl to melee

try comparing brawl to other games then you can see how brawl doesnt suck so much

and in that game of tag they forgot to put 50 pound ankle weights on the kids that could run 4.340 (snake and meta)

Gravity

Smash Ace
nissan just got cooler in my book.

"In a review by Motor Trend editor Scott Kanemura, it was revealed that the GPS system fitted to the GT-R would remove the 180-kilometer per hour (112 mph) speed limiter when the car arrives at a race track, but only on tracks approved by Nissan. Aftermarket ECUs have been developed to bypass the speed limiter, in addition to stand-alone speed-limiter defeaters. However, Nissan confirmed that the GPS check will not be implemented in American models."

BUT,

still no price idea on the v spec.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yeah dude, the limiter is only in for one reason.

It's required by law in Japan ONLY to have that. That's why, but yeah. It's a cool idea. >_>

OMG ANDY!!!

I SAW A BENTLEY CONTINENTAL TODAY!!!

THAT'S THREE 6 DIGIT FIGURE CARS I SAW THIS MONTH ALONE

po pimpus

Smash Ace
A BUNCH OF CAR NONSENSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
If only they made a Samus car...

Man, Coty, I really wish you were coming... It just hasn't been as fun without you utterly pwning me one minute and then pwning yourself the next with an SD... ;)

Brawl is an awesome game. Melee is an awesome game.

I don't care who is awesome at what; all I know is I play whichever is most fun for me at the moment. Right now, that game is Brawl. The past few weeks of tourneys have been some of the most intense, fun matches I've ever played. Or seen played. I like the fact that I'm not automatically disadvantaged just because I like to play as Luigi, and that I have options on both offense AND defense.

Whenever I play Melee, its just for the sado-masochistic side of me that likes getting totally ***** without even getting to throw a punch. I don't get much enjoyment out of having everything I do as Luigi be completely useless against Marth or Chris' Peach. I don't particularly like only having one or two offensive options against Fox, Falco, and Sheik, while their entire movesets combo and gimp me all to hell.

**** it, I did it again... I swear this is the last time I'm going to defend Brawl on these boards as it is a complete waste of time. No one's opinion is going to change; either you like Brawl or you totally despise it... either way, there is no swaying the consensus on Smashboards that Brawl sucks and has no redeeming value, despite the fact that Brawl has and will continue to introduce many more new faces to the community.

All I want is for this community to grow and thrive. Oklahoma has the MOST diverse group of players in the country, this I know to be true. We have a Samus, a Link, Foxes, Luigis, Falcos, Marths, a Bowser, and the best Peach player ever-- and thats just counting Melee. I'm sure we're even more varied when it comes to Brawl.

An OK vs. whoever crew battle would be something to see... Just ask anyone who played us in San Antonio... Oklahoma's got skillz.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
not possible!? those words dont exist in melee. i know thats not even close to what youre talking about, but i dont care.
Gah. I thought you were talking about Brawl.

EDIT: Wait a second. You weren't even the person I quoted that said he got a 0-80 in Brawl.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
An OK vs. whoever crew battle would be something to see... Just ask anyone who played us in San Antonio... Oklahoma's got skillz.
Fact.

I'm done with melee though. I left my controller in Denver (no coming back from that one ;-) ) and im going to get rid of my cube. I couldn't play if I wanted. Too much investment for too little reward.

I'm about to turn 22, and I've been smashing since I was 18... for what? I've learned a lot, made a lot of friends, who I definitely love having. But for four years of my life? The misery of losing again and again is defnitely not worth continuing.

But that does not mean I won't come back to OK someday (hopefully not too far away) and hang out with the crowd (Yawara you better be there otherwise you'll never make it on ANY list =P ).

My final argument on brawl. As Frenlyfire said, it's not been out very long, so it really hasn't had time to prove itself. But what has been done in the mean time? We don't know every technical facet yet, so people apply what they do know; camping, timing, and spacing... and since camping is the easiest of these to do... voila! Snake players! Melee would be the same way if we didn't have all the technical aspects. But there are other things I'm sure that will replace l-cancelling, dash dancing, wave dashing, and crouch cancelling, they just haven't been discovered, or at least put to full potential, yet. BUT, one has to admit, Brawl's potential has been incredibly limited by it's creators, who intended to create a game where the more talented gamer has no advantage against a lesser gamer.

xFr3nLixPhYr3x

Smash Rookie
nissan just got cooler in my book.

"In a review by Motor Trend editor Scott Kanemura, it was revealed that the GPS system fitted to the GT-R would remove the 180-kilometer per hour (112 mph) speed limiter when the car arrives at a race track, but only on tracks approved by Nissan. Aftermarket ECUs have been developed to bypass the speed limiter, in addition to stand-alone speed-limiter defeaters. However, Nissan confirmed that the GPS check will not be implemented in American models."

BUT,

still no price idea on the v spec.
You should see the top gear episode on the GT-R. Also, it would be very hard to get specs since each engine is handmade.

Top Bottom