• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
No limit for amount for amount of people. I mean, obviously 30 people is too many, but maybe 10-15 people would be good. More can come, just means more tv's and more gamecubes.

Im hoping if we can get some constant smashfests going on here maybe once or twice a month, soon we can have a tourny, then hopefully a major tounry with out-of-state people coming.

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
Omega_Star said:
Woah, that'd be su-weet.

Shanx, what state are you from?

And Vegafuse, if that concept art thing has anything to do with Smash Bros., count me as interested.
I'm from oklahoma, and rasta, i'm in for a smash party, just set the date.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Vegafuse said:
Man, things are really starting to kick off for us. Oklahoma was such a depressing place for Smash half a year ago, and a lot of competitive players have come and gone before that, just because there was never a true "foundation" to hold on to. Well, I guess I can safely say we finally have a smash scene we can call our own......

OmegaStar, I'll have to discuss something with Po again before we can continue. I'll let you know what's the deal pretty soon.
That's exactly my thoughts on the smash scene. We could turn this state into a seriously regarded smash state, all on our own. That'd be pretty sweet.

Cool. I look forward to finding out what it's about.

RosterImposter said:
Im hoping if we can get some constant smashfests going on here maybe once or twice a month, soon we can have a tourny, then hopefully a major tounry with out-of-state people coming.
That would be way awesome. A continuation of what Vegafuse mentioned.

Shanx said:
I'm from oklahoma, and rasta, i'm in for a smash party, just set the date.
Ah sweet, another person for the OK smash scene :)

We should also involve that Dalal guy in it as well.

I'm going to see if I can be one of the people that keeps up the smash fests too. I don't have one planned out or anything, but if I can have them, it'll make it easier for us to have them more consistently.

Also, I have this idea of making Oklahoma smash t-shirts. It'd say "Oklahoma Smash" on it, and then it could like have our smash name and a custom picture of our main. Or it could have one picture that'd be on all of them. What do you all think?

Shade_

Smash Ace
Man I miss one day of cheecking and another page has been made,

I think it would be easier for you to just make a one for all t shirt star lol. But its up to you,

And for your question about art, just ask dart my bro, and hell be up all night getting it done really well. he likes those sort of things. And good match well need to do that again though, and once again we didn't have time for AC ahhhhhhhhh, we need to get that.

Alright set a date roster, and expect my group to come when you do. Any way yah saturday for this week is a bad for me and grav, we have to go somewhere. Next or after that would be cool though, haha you should just go ahead and make this a tourny. but hey I am not pushing you.

Any way yes I am in comlete agreement with making us a serious contender with the rest of the states, we have alot of ceatching up to do, and I would rather we practice for a month or two before we go contend with another out of state tourny, we are not ready yet, not until we can get everyone in the loop and smashing well any way.

Keep us posted roster .

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
April 8th is the date, its a saturday. Starts whenever, probably at 12, thats still probably early and will change.

Any objections?

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I'm replying back so late(was over Mithos and Zabuza's house basically all weekend). Glad you guys could make it and sorry for the lack of room in the house(I told you guys my house wasn't that big lol). My ankles are so sore right now.. I swear I played at least 20 hours minimum on that DDR game lolol. Yes Vegafuse we make a good team(I was surprised we barely ever hit each other).

To RosterImposter: I'll check with my parents and see if its ok with them(should be since I get my liscense Wednesday :). April 8th seems ok, but again I need to check with my parents to see if we are doing anything on that day.

To Gravity: Haha glad we both have the same taste in music.

Zabuza

Smash Rookie
hey guys that was a great party KOS-MOS. sorry about falling asleep though lol i had to take some medicine that makes me really drowsy so anyway that kinda affected me on my game but o well.

yeah KOS-MOS we did play DDR too much this weekend and i played it another 10 hours before u came over lol im not that sore though... i understand why u r though.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Hmm, I think just one design that'd be on all the shirts would be better.

Also, I've got plans for future tourneys here. Instead of putting up the fights online, I could make a DVD with all of them on it. I could also add other things like highlights of the tournament and each player. There'd be a small price though, to compensate for materials and effort. But, it'd be much more efficient, as the fights would not have decreased framerate, and if I keep putting the fights online, I'll run out of space eventually. It may not get too elaborate until the summer though, cause that's when I'll have all the free time in the world, and there are some things that I need for it.

Also, I drew up "statistics" for an 8-player bracket during school today. I'm going to make an image out of it and put it up here. It should make things more organized in future tournaments.

EDIT: I finished the bracket:

It shows how a double-elimination bracket is run, and how many games there are each round (for an 8-player tournament, at least). We can use this to plan out the flow of our tournaments.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Nice nice, good work zinth.

Speaking of th T shirts, I will really need your characters picture if I don't already have it, the T shirt will consist of all are characters we use as mains, or something like that, but it will have all the names of every one in OK, and just tell me what you want your character to be doing and at what angle.

And gravity, I am pretty suprised how well you handled our team battle as well, though you are not my normal teammate it wasnt so bad, just do that with dart now.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, Im not so sure the Tshirt will be such a good idea. There will be like 6 different marths on there, 1 roy, a couple foxes, and a couple falco's. The main focus is on the marths.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
That's why I'm going to put every character on it. I never said I would just do our mains =p I foresaw the problems that would cause. And also, if we get a new member, they wouldn't be on it. So, that's why I'm going to put every character on it.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Ill try and hand draw something for a shirt. The state, then hand drawn characters in all in the state, and there would be a logo in the middle.

If anybody wants something else, just say so and Ill do my best to incorporate it.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Well, I've already got an idea for the shirt. I just need to be able to take screenshots -_- Though, I don't really have a logo for OK Smash crew, ideas on that would be good.

Zabuza

Smash Rookie
im going to say the most random thing ive said in a long time just for the heck of it..... i like food... foods good....:upsidedown:

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
Omega_Star said:
Well, I've already got an idea for the shirt. I just need to be able to take screenshots -_- Though, I don't really have a logo for OK Smash crew, ideas on that would be good.
I could work on a design for OK smash, i have a few ideas.

Zabuza

Smash Rookie
i know :( im sorry i just felt like saying that for some weird reason i think Mithos is making me dumber LOL ok ok im sorry.... gosh dangit ive been having to say sorry too much. its really getting to me :evil:..... i guess thats what happens when u r a smart butt, sarcastic, cocky, smack talker and obviously too honest person.... like right now y am i cutting down myself and telling negitive things about myself :ohwell: ill anwser myself "too honest" gosh dangit i need to shutup lol. im trying to do better :cry:

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Speaking of having a small tourney: we should seed people from the what they placed in the last tourney shade#1,vega#2,kos-mos#3,marc fres#4. For the best want get scewed.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Sorry guys, but the smashfest has been postponed to April 15th. I hope alot of you guys can still make it.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
po pimpus said:
Speaking of having a small tourney: we should seed people from the what they placed in the last tourney shade#1,vega#2,kos-mos#3,marc fres#4. For the best want get scewed.
That would be a good idea, but the loser bracket was incorrect for the singles. Like, I made it to the finals of the winners bracket, but then started off at the same place as everyone else in the losers bracket, even though I made it further than them in the winners bracket, therefore defeating the purpose of making it further than others. Like, I would have been at least third if the bracket was correct, but instead I tied for last, despite making it to the finals of the winner bracket. We should probably have one more with a correctly set-up bracket, and also have games to determine specific places, and then we can use that information for the next and so forth.

I think we could get really organized though. I've played in countless Yu-Gi-Oh! tournments in my day (I won most of them :cool:), so I have experience of how tournaments are run. Not saying I'm an expert at running them or anything, but I know how they're run and can repeat my experience to those who need it. But then again, maybe everyone already knows how, but it's just harder than it looks.

Also, today I went out and bought a 1019 block memory card to take pictures for the t-shirt. I'm going to give it to Shade tomorrow so he can get them on a computer, and then I can start the major portion of the t-shirt. In the meantime though, I'll probably make the header for it. Also, Shanx, I like the logo you made; I'm going to try tweaking it some to give it more pizazz.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Nice logo, cool Idea, trust me Zinth is really good at tweaking with it, this will be awsome, but what do you mean seed out the players from the last tourny. I ddn't get that.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Shade_ said:
Nice logo, cool Idea, trust me Zinth is really good at tweaking with it, this will be awsome, but what do you mean seed out the players from the last tourny. I ddn't get that.
Seeding is where you order people in the bracket according to their rank. Refer to my bracket guide, you'll see at round one how it's ordered.

Ok, I made a tweak to the logo to spice it up, so here it is:

There are many other possible things that I could do to it as well.

Also, I made the letters for the t-shirt, which you can see here. Under that I plan to put all of the characters infront of the Oklahoma logo.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I like the fixed verson, and I was thinking that we could put Oklahoma smash in Japanese behind the english in faded characters. I thought it would look cool, but what do you guys think.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Omega_Star said:
That would be a good idea, but the loser bracket was incorrect for the singles. Like, I made it to the finals of the winners bracket, but then started off at the same place as everyone else in the losers bracket, even though I made it further than them in the winners bracket, therefore defeating the purpose of making it further than others. Like, I would have been at least third if the bracket was correct, but instead I tied for last, despite making it to the finals of the winner bracket. We should probably have one more with a correctly set-up bracket, and also have games to determine specific places, and then we can use that information for the next and so forth.
There is no doubt that we were aware of the faulty bracket flow and setup. It was actually my final decision to have the winner's bracket played out before we moved on to the loser's. The circumstances I was in during the planning stages of the tourny almost cost the whole thing to fall apart. I was more concerned over making everything work out in the end as opposed to having a well-organized and decently constructed tournament many of you are so familiar with. I was even recommended by Po to have the traditional system (almost like yours) in our brackets but I conclusively decided that we were too far off into the tourny and any changes would have either complicated the situation or bring us much closer to the expiration time for the reserved room. To summurize, even though the tourny brackets were not thought out at all (well, just enough to prevent same-crew matches), we atleast resulted with a "get-together" that involved challange and money. Regardless of how it ran, the outcome of the winners may have been the same no matter what during that time. So if you do agree to an extent that first and second place winners are accurate, then preliminary battles should only determine the seeding for the others that got caught up in the mess below 2nd rank.

I think we could get really organized though. I've played in countless Yu-Gi-Oh! tournments in my day (I won most of them :cool:), so I have experience of how tournaments are run. Not saying I'm an expert at running them or anything, but I know how they're run and can repeat my experience to those who need it. But then again, maybe everyone already knows how, but it's just harder than it looks.
I will definitely welcome the advice you may have, and others may also benefit from it. It looks like the gathering at Roster's place will be the next time we all meet, so that should be a good time to set things straight. From then on out, bi-weeklies sound very pluasible for our next move.

Other then all this tourny talk, you've done a good job with the letters and Shanx's spruced up logo isn't too bad either. I'll get back to you with my proposition later, right now we're going through some major decisions over it.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Vegafuse said:
There is no doubt that we were aware of the faulty bracket flow and setup. It was actually my final decision to have the winner's bracket played out before we moved on to the loser's. The circumstances I was in during the planning stages of the tourny almost cost the whole thing to fall apart. I was more concerned over making everything work out in the end as opposed to having a well-organized and decently constructed tournament many of you are so familiar with. I was even recommended by Po to have the traditional system (almost like yours) in our brackets but I conclusively decided that we were too far off into the tourny and any changes would have either complicated the situation or bring us much closer to the expiration time for the reserved room. To summurize, even though the tourny brackets were not thought out at all (well, just enough to prevent same-crew matches), we atleast resulted with a "get-together" that involved challange and money. Regardless of how it ran, the outcome of the winners may have been the same no matter what during that time. So if you do agree to an extent that first and second place winners are accurate, then preliminary battles should only determine the seeding for the others that got caught up in the mess below 2nd rank.
Ah, I see. Yeah, the time did run pretty tight at the end there, and what with the tourney starting an hour later, I suppose that did throw things off. I agree, at least we did get together though, and it was fun. And yes, I agree that first and second were definitely correct. I'd probably say third could be as well, because while I did beat KOS-MOS in the winners, he was able to come back and beat me later. Hmm, perhaps we could run preliminary seeding for players under 2nd/3rd place at RosterImposters mini Smashfest?
Vegafuse said:
I will definitely welcome the advice you may have, and others may also benefit from it. It looks like the gathering at Roster's place will be the next time we all meet, so that should be a good time to set things straight. From then on out, bi-weeklies sound very pluasible for our next move.
Bi-weeklies sound sweet. I might end up making a bunch of organizational charts during spare time at school to help with running. Infact, I probably will on Friday.
Vegafuse said:
Other then all this tourny talk, you've done a good job with the letters and Shanx's spruced up logo isn't too bad either. I'll get back to you with my proposition later, right now we're going through some major decisions over it.
Cool. I'm probably going to experiment around with the logo some more. The only thing I don't like is how the curves are kind of jagged, but that can always be fixed with a cleaner picture of the state.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Just want to repeat myself for those that missed it. The date is changed to April 15th. Starts at 1 or 2pm and ends whenever you want to leave.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Could it be a sleep over, or would that be pushing it. If not then just a few good hours will beenough.

And whats all this talk about competing for everything under second, each and everyone of you guys should all be striveing to beat vega and me. Come on thats when youl get better.

Any way, I will try to get those pics Zinth later on tonight.

we should go over the names that will be over the T shirt, so you can plan how to space them and put them in.

Po Pimpus
Fresh
Vegafuse
Zinth
Gravity
Dart
Lee
Haku
Mithos
KOS-MOS
RosterImposter
Scud
Did I forget anyone?

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Haha, too many people for a sleep over, I might be able to let 2 or 3 stay. You guys are welcome to come over on sunday, but you cant stay after 7pm, sunday at 7pm is when I get my homework done.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Ok, well I made a lot of new designs using the concept of Shanx's design from scratch. I put them all on a web page that you can view here. I think my preference is either 12 or 3; they strike me as the Smashiest.

EDIT: I came up with an idea of making an Oklahoma Smash website, so I'm going to do that.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Omega_Star said:
Ok, well I made a lot of new designs using the concept of Shanx's design from scratch. I put them all on a web page that you can view here. I think my preference is either 12 or 3; they strike me as the Smashiest.

EDIT: I came up with an idea of making an Oklahoma Smash website, so I'm going to do that.
Awesome, alot of those designs look nice. #3 seems to stand out more yet #12 is easier on my eyes. But my vote goes to #3. I look forward to that site.

By the way Shade, we're talking about the seeding of our next tournament. Our spots (including KOS-MOS) are secured from the last tourny, but everyone else got screwed over in there rank position because of the way the brackets were set up. If they keep the ranks then the seeding in the next tourny would be incorrect and there would be a lot of mismatches.

Example (refer to this ): Shade won the last tourny and would be seeded as #1. Zinth ended up as a last placer according to my bracket, so imagine him being #8. You see, even though he was 2nd place in the winner's bracket here , he tied "officially" for last place making him fight you right off the bat. Now imagine this but everyone else being improperly seeded.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Shade_ said:
You do that, wow you must have a bit of free time Zinth.

Ops I forgot to put my own name on the list.
Heh, yes I do. And with the power of my free time, I will contribute to make this to most kickass extravagant Smash scene ever!!1!1!inbeoopsimeanone

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Im drawing every character, then redrawing them on the logo that shanx made. I think it would look better than just the screenshots from the game.

Top Bottom