• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay so I know how sonic is best played

Boxob.

Smash Lord
If you just play him really fast and good you can win sometimes. Like when the opponent tries to do damage, avoid it and attack him. If you run at them and then run away from them and get them to attack after you run away, you can run back and attack them.

I was thinking of this and thought that maybe you guys could help me elaborate on my idea.

:093:

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
If you just play him really fast and good you can win sometimes. Like when the opponent tries to do damage, avoid it and attack him. If you run at them and then run away from them and get them to attack after you run away, you can run back and attack them.

I was thinking of this and thought that maybe you guys could help me elaborate on my idea.

This sounds similar to what I do. I usually try playing extremely agressive (mostly against my friend TWiNK, who mains TL), and he usually complains that I'm too fast for his camping to work successfully.

But what do you really mean?

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
The biggest criticism that I have for the recent Sonic gameplay videos is that there's very little running going on. Sure time spent running is less time inputting your reactions to whatever your opponent is doing, but I hardly consider that a valid enough reason to refrain from making as much use out of Sonic's mobility as you can; playstyle issue?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
so basically you want to play a falco campy style without the lasers?

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
I know how Sonic is best played. It's actually really simple.

Make the other guy go off the screen before you do.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sonic is best played in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Boxob brings up a good point. I do something similar in my gamestyle (some say I play kinda like Boku and other pro Sonics). A good mix up sometimes though Boxob is to run away, go off stage, get back on stage and punish them for attacking when they think you're gonna stay offstage.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Boxob brings up a good point. I do something similar in my gamestyle (some say I play kinda like Boku and other pro Sonics). A good mix up sometimes though Boxob is to run away, go off stage, get back on stage and punish them for attacking when they think you're gonna stay offstage.

Yeah, when you attack them after they try to attack you and can't, you can attack them again after that, like a combo. My personal favorite is the homing attack because it always goes right where they are.

This sounds similar to what I do. I usually try playing extremely agressive (mostly against my friend TWiNK, who mains TL), and he usually complains that I'm too fast for his camping to work successfully.

But what do you really mean?
Pretty much this. When he plays on point, he can punish a small mistake from the other side of the stage. It's really overwhelming, and it massively screws up my spacing, when I underestimate how fast Sonic really is. :mad:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I use everything Sonic has.
Nair and Usmash are my least used moves, but I use those once in awhile too.
I mean, I use fthrow more than those two.

I'm actually starting to use fthrow more often.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I try to run into as many attacks as possible...... If I run really, really, really ****ing fast I can even run into attacks on the setup next to the one im playing on. Then after I get hit by that attack I come flying back onto my screen using a flying falcon punch to win.

works every time.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I try to run into as many attacks as possible...... If I run really, really, really ****ing fast I can even run into attacks on the setup next to the one im playing on. Then after I get hit by that attack I come flying back onto my screen using a flying falcon punch to win.

works every time.
Productive post FTW.....

ON TOPIC
I don't run around like when people are recovering (as I have seen some top Sonic like Espy do) since that whill just increase my chances of tripping (LOL).... I just like the pressure game.... TWiNK get over her and explain in detail why does my Sonic piss you off so bad!!!! :p

shikashake2

Smash Cadet
while this is true, don't let yourself become predictable. I also think that edgeguarding and gimping the opponent's recovery is very useful with sonic.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm hearting this thread right now.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
I want sum Haunterz

but instead i gotz me sum Muk :mad088:
or Grimer w/e that is

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Wow Boxob, I play a lot like that too. But don't forget the manly rules of Brawl. If you knock your opponent off the stage, give him the chance to make it back. Following offstage is just an unfair advantage that Sonic has on most of the cast. I'm sure we all don't want to be like that meta***, right? Sonic's too cool for that. And too fast! Man, he's so fast, I just run past my opponents before they even throw out a move. They get so confused! I'm pretty sure no one plays Sonic as fast as me! Although, if you think you do, I'm always up to put my title as fastest thing alive up for grabs on wifi! Come get some! :3

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Phoenix...

We've been PRANKED.

TWiNK get over her and explain in detail why does my Sonic piss you off so bad!!!! :p
His Sonic goes vroom vroom all fast n stuff
I'm all omgwtf so annoying
He vroom vrooms louder n stuff
I get :mad:
He does an UpB to Dair
I do a Uair
Sonic dies
I laugh
He tells me to STFU all :mad: n srs n stuff.
I get :(
Match gets awkward

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Dair gets beat out by alot of stuff - your friend should learn alternative ways to approach.

Wtf is this? This is America, get outa my country, foreigner. :mad:

Last I checked PR was a US territory dude - he's a bro, not a foe.
Edit: Totally can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Sounds kinda like a few sonic pros i know, but they play a bit more grab game when it comes to running around their opponent:laugh:
They normally use a Uthrow into running for mindgame, then they predict their opponent, regrab, then keep the chain successful, longest ive seen took a DK up to 70%
Running is quite efficient to becoming a good sonic player, along with spin dash canceling, but i use dashing mindgame much much more due to a few slip ups when trying to dash grab normally:(

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
This is still open?

Yeah guys, I like to charge fsmashes to get kills. They're just like, "Psh Sonic is so weak ill just punish thiz" and then they're like "omg I lost to a sawnik *johns*"

Top Bottom