• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A OK desu ka? - Lucas Q&A Thread

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
I don´t know if this is new or just plain common knowledge. But I was messing with Lucas right now on 3DS against the CPU ( that´s like my lab) and thing is; you can Cancel the PSI Magnet absorb lag animation( When you are absorbing a proyectile, just press backwards and he rolls back) ... I don´t really know if Ness could do it before the patch, Its just that I haven´t seen someone pull that off before in a video.

PKPenguin

Smash Rookie
I don´t know if this is new or just plain common knowledge. But I was messing with Lucas right now on 3DS against the CPU ( that´s like my lab) and thing is; you can Cancel the PSI Magnet absorb lag animation( When you are absorbing a proyectile, just press backwards and he rolls back) ... I don´t really know if Ness could do it before the patch, Its just that I haven´t seen someone pull that off before in a video.
Nothing new, Ness has had this since I think game release. You can also jump cancel or press down to spot dodge cancel.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Hey @ TewnLeenk TewnLeenk do you think we can get that Lucas guide written by Ciex stickied plz?
It's just such a great guide and the lucas boards would be able to help with MU's which are later being added to the guide.

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
how are you supposed to approach with lucas? like everything just gets beaten by shields and the tether grab makes beating shields hard at times and if you whiff you get punished. pivot grabbing doesnt always work either since you either get hit trying to run past them or you barely miss sometimes cause of it's short range. nothing just seems to work for approaching and pk fire also just gets beat by shield and punished if they're too close. cant exactly approach, and cant exactly wall them out either. Maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Well... I figure that because he was my brawl main it would be a waste for me to not do at least a bit of training with Lucas.

Which:

A. Damage combos

B. Kill moves (beyond the easy smash attack)

do you think I should practice 1st?

PKPenguin

Smash Rookie
I got a quick question. Why is it that when i try and Tether grab back onto the stage with Z i sometimes nair, ive died a lot from it, any possible fixes/solutions? :)
If you're in a tumble, you can't throw your tether and instead n-air. I think airdodging or throwing out a quick down-B to position yourself will get you out of a tumble, and I know your double jump will get you of it.

Last edited:

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
What use does pk thunder have? it doesn't seem that great for anything outside of recovering.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
What use does pk thunder have? it doesn't seem that great for anything outside of recovering.
If my foe is off the edge it is a nice bit of extra damage if I know they are going to recover.

Outside of competitive play it's great for knocking foes away from, then grabbing smash balls, good to send into a chaotic mess of other players etc.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
It's not something I do very often but one use for the PK Thunder, if the stage has a lip and you can manage to catch your opponent in it, you can drag him under and against the ledge for a stage spike (or really, a stage gimp). Discovered that it had pretty reliable use in that regard. Kind of a niche but I would never use PKT on the stage due to it's slowness and endlag, especially since it'll kill you off sheer launch distance if you're not very precise with where you hit Lucas with the head of the PKT.

I mostly use it for free damage when an opponent is coming back to the ledge. It's actually a lot safer to use once you hit with it than it seems because you can drag your opponent any which way. I prefer to use it from very long distances in that case but honestly I'd rather just force an approach with PK Freeze.

Last edited:

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
If the opponent runs up and shields, what are lucas' options? grab wont work if they react fast enough and it's not that fast, and everything else will just get Oos punished. Do you have to just back off? cause that kinda sucks ;/

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
If the opponent runs up and shields, what are lucas' options? grab wont work if they react fast enough and it's not that fast, and everything else will just get Oos punished. Do you have to just back off? cause that kinda sucks ;/
Lucas his grab from upclose is 12 frames while the average persons reaction time is around 15 frames. So they can't react to it unless their reaction speed is superhuman. Meanwhile iirc Link's grab is 16 frames.

Try it here. If you consistantly can get under 200ms than you should be able to react to the grab from upclose. http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
Calculation is this: x(Your reaction time )*(60/1000)-display lag from your PC screen if any.
So for me it's 280*(60/1000)-2=14,8ms. Which is around average.

TL;dr, They aren't reacting when you're up close, they are predicting.

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
Oh I see. I must have been playing too many roll heavy players and mistook reacting for them just constantly rolling behind me making me miss my grab when they're sitting in shield, but what do you do against shields as lucas in general? Everything that I do seems like it would just get punished by a more experienced player and i've tried a lot :/

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Oh I see. I must have been playing too many roll heavy players and mistook reacting for them just constantly rolling behind me making me miss my grab when they're sitting in shield, but what do you do against shields as lucas in general? Everything that I do seems like it would just get punished by a more experienced player and i've tried a lot :/
If you're getting punished because of your opponent's OoS options, predict their OoS option. Usually when someone runs up to a shielding opponent, they're going for a grab, in which case the shielding player will spot dodge, Up B, go for an aerial, etc. If your opponent's habit is to shield bait your approach, run up and shield yourself, then punish their prediction accordingly.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Soooo, I'm thinking of picking up Lucas. I don't see any concise guide/basics thread (which is understandable), so could someone please give me a quick rundown of Lucas' neutral and various dthrow followups? Thanks!

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
Do you guys think Lucas should be buffed? If so what do you think should be buffed? I think the end lag of PKT1 should be lowered at the very least.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Do anyone know if villagers dashattack is reflectable by Fsmash? timed an fsmash on a villager today when he used dash attack while approaching next to a Lloyd rocket, it did 35 % of damage. Managed to follow it up with reflecting the villagers fair, and it killed him at 74 %!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Do anyone know if villagers dashattack is reflectable by Fsmash? timed an fsmash on a villager today when he used dash attack while approaching next to a Lloyd rocket, it did 35 % of damage. Managed to follow it up with reflecting the villagers fair, and it killed him at 74 %!
Yeah they're both projectiles and thus reflectable. It's kind of funny how soon Villager can get KOed by a reflected sweetspotted
fair/bair.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Yeah they're both projectiles and thus reflectable. It's kind of funny how soon Villager can get KOed by a reflected sweetspotted
fair/bair.
Thanks for the clarification, at first it totally caught me of surprise, didnt really expect to kill a villager at 39 % from 2 fsmashes, in witch one doesnt even hit him haha.

PK Drako

Smash Rookie
Hi.
Maybe this question has appeared a lot of times but i dont find them...

So the question is what is better c-stick or b-stick. I mean i play a lot with both and i really like how b-sticking feels but i just want to know the pros and cons for each one.

I don't know if i should post this here, I'm sorry beacuse i'm new to this forums but i appreciate the help and opinions from people with more knowledge with the character.

Thanks to everybody :b:

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Hi.
Maybe this question has appeared a lot of times but i dont find them...

So the question is what is better c-stick or b-stick. I mean i play a lot with both and i really like how b-sticking feels but i just want to know the pros and cons for each one.

I don't know if i should post this here, I'm sorry beacuse i'm new to this forums but i appreciate the help and opinions from people with more knowledge with the character.

Thanks to everybody :b:
Hey man, there is a thread at http://smashboards.com/threads/can-we-talk-about-wave-bouncing-b-sticking-with-lucas.408868/ which allready brings up this matter. Be sure to read through it to see if it answers your questions, otherwhise feel free to ask again. Welcome to the boards mang, feel the PK Love!

Ventus55

Smash Cadet
NNID
ventus55
Hey I am having trouble on Lucas's bair can anyone give me any tips??

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
where is the sweetspot on lucas's fair? if this has already been answered in this thread, just quote the post.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm just here to ask what Lucas' basic combos are. I'm still having trouble hitting DThrow into Nair. > <

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I'm just here to ask what Lucas' basic combos are. I'm still having trouble hitting DThrow into Nair. > <
Well, depending on your opponent's DI, you can follow up with an up-air or f-air. At lower percentages, d-throw > up-tilt works 9/10 times. You could also go for d-air after down throw, but that's not reliable at all. I hope this helps!

ilysm

sleepy
Has anyone reliably gotten extended dash-dancing down with Lucas? I can't seem to get the right timing, I'm used to Peach's (which I think is a bit more lenient). This might be an odd request, but if anyone has, is there any chance they can record audio of their controller so the click-click of the control stick is audible? I'm thinking that may help.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
If I get a grab at 0% against a fast-faller I'll usually follow up with up air first, then back off. Up air doesn't send them anywhere at that low percentage and people usually air dodge into the ground or throw out an aerial expecting some kind of follow-up, so it's basically another free grab (shout-out to PSG Z for showing me that one). Against most characters, though, you can just go straight into double nair to up air. Down throw to nair to down air is good for racking up damage and keeping the opponent close to continue a combo. If all you want is stage control, down throw nair to sweet spot fair is good, and you can even follow it up with a PK Fire to pressure the opponent further. At around 60%-80% (weight dependent), down throw to weak back air to meteor back air is almost guaranteed (the opponent has literally frames to react from the first back air to the second) and can get you a very early kill if you land it at the ledge. At around 110%-130% down throw to double jump up air becomes a kill set-up on most characters.

Those are probably the very basic of combos. After that you get into your footstool to jablock set ups and hard read combos (like double nair to rising PKT2), but that requires more experience and technicality.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone know what the hitlag modifiers are on all of Lucas' attacks? Is there a database somewhere that lists these values?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
On the smash wiki, it says lucas no longer turns around when absorbing projectiles with his down b. Is this an error? In training mode, i put several bomb ombs behind lucas and he turned around to absorb them.

Will some one also link me to lucas's new sheild safety values?

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Here's something I like to do every now and then.

Go to the 2:23 mark. My grab game is bad, I know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom