• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*OHIO* SSBM Singles & Doubles Tournament RESULTS!! 12/1/2007

ToledoGaming

Smash Cadet
Toledo Gaming Super Smash Bros. Melee Singles & Doubles Tournament
Saturday, December 1st 2007

Singles Tournament Times
Registration Starts @ 11:00am
Tournament Starts @ 12:00pm

Doubles Tournament Times
Registration Starts @ 2:00pm
Tournament Starts @ 3:00pm (Or immediately after the singles ends)

Entry Fee:

Singles
$10 Per Player + $5 Venue Fee = $15 Total

Doubles
$10 Per Player + $5 Venue Fee = $15 Total

Registration for the Singles tournament ends at 11:50am...PLEASE DONT BE LATE!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAYMENT OPTIONS
Pay by phone:
- (419) 902-5903
We accept all forms of credit card

Pay in-store:
7723 Airport Highway Suite D
Holland, OH 43528

Store Hours
Mon-Thurs: 3pm-10pm
Friday: 3:00pm-10:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am-12:00am
Sunday: 12:00pm-6:00pm
Pre-registration and day-of registration is available in store during store hours.

Format:
- The tournament will be held on the GameCube Console
- Random Seeding
- Matches will be best out of 3
- Double elimination
- Players choose characters (you can call someone over to do "double blind" so neither player knows who the other is picking)
- Each player may choose to ban one stage for the entire set
The first game is played using the random select feature. (Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi Story, Pokemon Stadium, and Fountain of Dreams)
- The loser of the first game chooses the next stage
- The winner chooses their character for that game
- The loser then chooses their character for that game
(Process will repeat if a game 3 is necessary)

Singles Settings:
- 4 Stock
- 8 Min. Time Limit
- Best of 3 Matches
- No items
- Stall tactics banned (DQ possible)

Doubles Settings
- 4 Stock
- 8 Min. Time Limit
- Best of 3 Matches
- No items
- Stall tactics banned (DQ possible)
- Team Attack on
- Life Stealing on

Banned Stages
Icicle Mountain
Hyrule Temple
Yoshi Island 64
Mushroom Kingdom
Mushroom kingdom 2
Yoshi's Island (pipes)
Flat zone, Big Blue
Peach's Castle
The spinning Brinstar

General Guidelines:
The following rules must be followed during the tournament. Players who do not follow
the rules or terms of service may be disqualified from the tournament, or removed from
the facility WITHOUT REFUND.
All players must respect the wishes of the Toledo Gaming Center staff and administrators.

Any player(s) who interferes with other player(s) at the Toledo Gaming Center facility will be immediately disqualified WITHOUT REFUND.

Prizes
1st Place - 60%
2nd Place - 30%
3rd Place - 10%
(The $10 Per Player will go directly to the "Prize Pot", the other $5 will go to the venue.)

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
just got directions and gonna ask friends if they want to go tomorrow, it is pretty low cost and road trips are always nice...2 and a half hours...deff gonna be fun.
but, i will possibly be there depending on if my dad will be outa town or not...compair gas millege on a truck as opposed to a car...im not driving the truck.
but yeah, sounds like fun. thanks for posting this

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
as of now, a friend of mine and i will be going. i have just one question. can i call and register and pay for it when we get there cause we do not have access to a credit card. any reply will be cool.

Kel

Smash Master
Prizes
1st Place - Will receive 50% of entry fees (or 40% if 15 or more players attend) plus a one month TGC membership.
2nd Place - Will receive (10% of the entry fees if 15 or more players attend) and a one month TGC membership.

2nd Place will receive a cash prize only if 15 or more players attend.
this is why no one, including myself, will attend. I was going to drive up from Cincinnati until I saw the prize distributions.

Impp

Smash Ace
The most I've ever seen a tournament with a good turnout take was 30%. And prizes be like 1. 40 % 2. 20% 3. 10%--venue 30%. That's rare though. Having a 5$ set venue fee and separate tourny pot seems to get the best results, with the money going to the pot going out like 1. 60% 2. 30% 3. 10%.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Imp is correct. I was thinking about this until I saw the prize distribution, it looks more like a money filtering scam than a tournament. Smash tournaments easily break 50 people, 15 is like...a Smashfest.

ToledoGaming

Smash Cadet
Thank you guys for your all your input, and suggestions. After discussing this with the Toledo Gaming Staff they have changed the entry fee & prize distribution. The entry fee will be $10 that will go straight to the prize pot, and $5 that will go to the venue, which will make it $15 total. The prize layout will be 1st-60%, 2nd-30%, 3rd-10%. If any of you have other suggestions that you think will provide us with better turnouts please feel free to post them. I hope the new changes will interest those who planned on not attending.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I mean, if your going for attendance, you may want to post a thread in tournament discussion.

Also, the rules don't really make sense.

Who is the higher seat in a randomly seeded bracket?
Also, if its best of 3, who picks the third match.

Most tournaments use this format:
Players choose characters (you can call someone over to do "double blind" so neither player knows who the other is picking)
Each player may choose to ban one stage for the entire set
The first game is played using the random select feature. It is usually chosen among only a small handful of level (ranging from as little as 3 to sometimes 10, most tournaments use a standard neutral 6: Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi Story, Pokemon Stadium, and Fountain of Dreams
The loser of the first game tells the winner what the next stage will be
The winner chooses their character for that game
The loser then chooses their character for that game
repeat for game 3 of the set if nessasary, this is known as "advanced slob picks"

You may also want to look at a stage list. No all stages should be on for neutrals. Some stages that are usually banned: Icicle Mountain, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi Island 64, Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom kingdom 2, Yoshi's Island (pipes), Flat zone, Big Blue, Peach's Castle, The spinning Brinstar, the DK level with the waterfall, and a few others (hard to remember off the top of my head).

Also, not really sure why you would contact MLG. MLG doesn't officially run Smash tournaments, instead they sponsor underground tournaments, its a fine line.

Also also, smashfests are usually smaller get togethers.

ToledoGaming

Smash Cadet
I appreciate the more help...you guys are really helping, we are mainly a huge (Halo 2, 3, GoW) tournament LAN Center and we get HUGE turnouts for those...and we would like Smash to be up there with those titles.

Also to answer your question about the random seeding, and 3rd map. We usually do "random seeeding" by just drawing players names out of a hat, and seeding them that way. When it comes down to a 3rd game the higher seed picks the map. I really like your suggestions and will talk to the rest of the TGC staff about them.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea, I mean if you want people to come you might heed my advice a bit. This is the way almost EVERY tournament in the country runs, and its the way EVO and MLG ran things.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
wanna drive up together soap and split gas?
\
However what is the decision on implementing advanced slob picks. Cause thats gonna effect my decision, I don't wanna drive a couple hours just to get ****** out of a tournament because I only got to choose one stage while my opponent got to choose two because he was randomly seeded as the "higher seat". Which is impossible by the way because there is no "higher seat" in a randomly seeded double elimination bracket, and drawing names out of a hat...that shouldn't be the determining factor between first place and second place, and it very much could be with this rule structure.. The current rules are pretty whack in that area.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
the first stage should be a random pick (fromthe neutral stages, final des, pokemon st., battlefield, etc.) and from then on looser should pick. there are alot fewer johns that way.

ToledoGaming

Smash Cadet
The new & final rules are up! AlphaZealot you have been a great help....Hope to see you all there!

Tink

Smash Hero
0_0 alpha and joe now! i just might have to come to see peoplesssss.

also, anyway to get doubles first o,0. rather then singles <_<.

Impp

Smash Ace
People should bring cubes and T.Vs. Last time I was here, the place only had 2 usable setups.

ToledoGaming

Smash Cadet
Feel free to bring in GameCubes & TVs. If you guys cant bring any of those....a memory card might be useful.

MB-Smash

Smash Apprentice
i'm pretty sure b-ryan and I will be there since it is like 15 minutes away from us <_< Can't wait to see Tink, Joe, Alpha and the rest!

Kel

Smash Master
I'm off on Saturday so I'll probably drive up. Gotta test out the car before the MSOP drive anyway. Unless BigD has room :)

Top Bottom