• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh, Roy, Roy, Roy...

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter Lyn is cooler than both of them. <3 Lyn.

Anyway....if you actually thought when you played at a noob/scrub level of the game. You could see it quite obviously. (I at least did)

Marth > Roy

If you were like me and played Roy a WHOLE lot way back when, then messed around with Marth...you'd realize that there was more than just a "little" difference. Not only that...you'd also have realized that no matter how good you were with Roy....Marth just seemed to get the job done easier.

I dunno....I don't see what's so hard to see, myself...>_>

Shin Virus

Smash Cadet
you know roy sucks when you realize his up throw (at around 200%) is his 3rd best KO move

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Lol, not the people I played. They were dumb...but not THAT dumb. before AT's and spacing it was still just easier to with with Marth, xD. Mainly because Marth randomly KO'ed with more moves. Granted....fighting those ******** FireFox/Bird spamming Fox/Falco players proved to be fun. As well as the ones that thought spamming Link/Y.Link Dair was a good idea. It was bigger punishment with Roy's counter, xD.

Aves

Smash Apprentice
I agree. I feel like Roy could be higher if a dedicated and talented smasher mained him. I want to point out that in 2007 when Neo and even Ken played Roy he was mid tier, not low tier. Now hes like 5th from the bottom? (On the matchup chart which i understand is slightly different) I'm not saying Roy is Top tier. But i feel like he's a character that people underestimate. Just like Axe's amazing pikachu or Taj's mewtwo, i wouldn't be surprised if some new smasher emerged with an incredible Roy.

I could be way off, haha I'm no expert on Roy and i know that, he could be a lot worse than i realize. But i still think he has more potential than 5th to last.

Paix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks all for the info. I've gone over it all, older threads, SmashWiki stuff, played around a bit in training mode and have realised that Roy really is a bad character. He has some potential, but

Ace55

Smash Lord
I agree. I feel like Roy could be higher if a dedicated and talented smasher mained him. I want to point out that in 2007 when Neo and even Ken played Roy he was mid tier, not low tier. Now hes like 5th from the bottom? (On the matchup chart which i understand is slightly different) I'm not saying Roy is Top tier. But i feel like he's a character that people underestimate. Just like Axe's amazing pikachu or Taj's mewtwo, i wouldn't be surprised if some new smasher emerged with an incredible Roy.

I could be way off, haha I'm no expert on Roy and i know that, he could be a lot worse than i realize. But i still think he has more potential than 5th to last.
After three pages of why Roy is bad finally someone agrees:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Too bad the OP already surrendered.

Personally I find it hard to pick four characters to place under Roy. I'm more scared of Kirby or Pichu, who at least have kill moves oos, than Roy, because he's just a bad Marth. He's got range but can't use it, it's so sad.

In tiny melee, he's the king though.:laugh:

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
Roy's not a bad character, he has range quick short hopped aerials and can kill very early if you combo into fsmash.

His recovery is crap but on stage he can fair well against most of the cast. Noone "shuts roy down" It's just that once they land their combo starter move or get that grab roys about to suffer.

I don't think he has unwinnable matchups though. You will get fsmashed... The same as you will get chaingrabbed by the ice climbers at some point.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Lyn is by far the coolest Character in FE so far.
Lyn and/or hector for ssb4!
This. Lyn is amazing.

Roy's not a bad character, he has range quick short hopped aerials and can kill very early if you combo into fsmash.

His recovery is crap but on stage he can fair well against most of the cast. Noone "shuts roy down" It's just that once they land their combo starter move or get that grab roys about to suffer.

I don't think he has unwinnable matchups though. You will get fsmashed... The same as you will get chaingrabbed by the ice climbers at some point.
What? O_o That just sounds like a bad character to me. It's not like Tager...where you at least SEE Tager winning or placing in money spots at tournaments.

Did you read the description of his quick SHFFL'D aerials? They suck...badly. Uair can juggle spacies..that's about it. Also there has to be either A.) a DRASTIC skill gap for a Roy to win. B.) The person is just easy to read. C.) They play each other a lot. D.) Person just sucks with Marth.

I agree.

It's just that almost everyone is better.
LOL, I see what you did there.

I <3 Roy...'cuz he's awesome and all. However...in order to improve with your character...man up to his/her MANY weaknesses. Then you can move forward.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
@ Brick Top I understand the post and I know that Roy *cough*sucks*cough*, but I was just trying to say that in friendly situations, Roy and Marth could be comparable, although Marth is much better.

Top Bottom