• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi discussion!!!

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
maybe the picture is a sign from sakurai

classic yoshi lets people ride him

humanoid yoshi rides you

lol i would love it to be an attack

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion

humanoid yoshi rides you

HAHA, "In soviet Russia, Yoshi rides you!" Man.. I really wanna know what that is though.. Looks... intriguing.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer

humanoid yoshi rides you

In Soviet Smash Bros., Yoshi rides YOU.

I like.

But does it bother anyone else that DK has no teeth there? I seem to remember him having teeth at some point. Discourages biting, I suppose.

EDIT: DUDE. Onyx stole my thunder.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
look at my avatar

dk has always shown his teeth in rare moments

that is actually how a real primate is too

you see only lips for most of the time

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
look at my avatar

dk has always shown his teeth in rare moments

that is actually how a real primate is too

you see only lips for most of the time
Even with his mouth open as wide as it is in the Yoshi riding picture? Never knew.

RoadsArePoison

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't SSBM the first Gamecube game that had Yoshi in it?
Before that, the only basis for how Yoshi was supposed to look was crappy N64 graphics. The creators of Melee made Yoshi look the way they wanted him to look because there was no precedent for how a Yoshi with good graphics should look.
In the GCN games after Melee, like Mario Sunshine, Double Dash, and Mario Tennis, Yoshi looked the way he does now (round spikes, rounder nose, shorter tail). Even though I too prefer the SSBM look, Yoshi's appearance for Brawl is how he is meant to look.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Yeah the Melee looked great on Yoshi, I felt as if he has some extra attitude in his movements. But with all of the detailed characters on the roster, its best if Yoshi stays in his new cartoon appearence.

Actually, I think the Brawl appearence is his best yet! I just hope his cuddly appearence doesn't make him any weaker. I love how tough he is in Melee!

Fawriel

Smash Master
I feel.... quoted.

Either way, I agree with whoever said that this gives Yoshi more personality. When I first played the game, I was always somewhat repelled by Yoshi because he just seemed like he was just "some dinosaur ride thing", and I prefer playing likable characters that just... have personality.
I've come to like him now due to some sort of experience with him, but I still can't get myself to be very interested in Melee Yoshi for some reason.
In my opinion, this change just makes Yoshi seem less like "one of those dinosaurs who happen to be cute" and more like a singular Yoshi with a cute personality.
"Losing personality" is just not what happens when a character gets cartoonified. Let me tell you this from an artist's perspective. They analyzed Yoshi's personality and saw what makes him, him. He was the accordingly redesigned, less realistically, but with more attention to the details that define him.
This, unless done very wrong, usually GIVES characters personality that you can see just by looking at them. The very fact that Yoshi has been given a different style from other characters shows quite blatantly that he IS different and thus, that he has a personality.

When I saw Yoshi, I did notice a new style, but the first thing that struck me was his movements, which seem less like those of an animal, which I approve of in this case.
The only thing I could complain about is how very round his nose seems... but that's a detail you will soon stop noticing once you actually see him in action.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I never liked the Yoshi Story design of the green dinosaur -_-

But hopefully he will be a better character.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Um, yoshi sucks. Sorry all you yoshi lovers, but a seriously competitive yoshi player will never never ever beat a seriously dedicated marth, fox, gannondorf, samus...etc. I have yet to see yoshi in any of those tournament level matches and yoshi being a candidate. Characters like yoshi need some serious work. I have played with him, and i tried, but he's "better" moves are seriously weak, because all these moves everyone's listing on here (egg toss, huge second jump) are definately cons. His egg toss is a waste of time and death wish from you to me if you use it. And his second jump will only keep him alive so long vs. my gannondorf's meteor smash. I hope they do make yoshi a more "playable" character, if you will, because i hated how some characters were just clearly worse then the others. See, i use bowser too, but i don't think he needs that much improvment..seriously. If they make him faster with faster recovery in brawl...well, there'd be a serious chance of me making him my main then. Characters like ness got the can, because, he's only "sooo" good, he can't reach tournament level play. I guess on that note, i'm glad ice climbers and game and watch and young link are totally gone from brawl. They were weak too, but rightfully so, they were paper in the wind vs. a master.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
Um, yoshi sucks. Sorry all you yoshi lovers, but a seriously competitive yoshi player will never never ever beat a seriously dedicated marth, fox, gannondorf, samus...etc. I have yet to see yoshi in any of those tournament level matches and yoshi being a candidate. Characters like yoshi need some serious work. I have played with him, and i tried, but he's "better" moves are seriously weak, because all these moves everyone's listing on here (egg toss, huge second jump) are definately cons. His egg toss is a waste of time and death wish from you to me if you use it. And his second jump will only keep him alive so long vs. my gannondorf's meteor smash. I hope they do make yoshi a more "playable" character, if you will, because i hated how some characters were just clearly worse then the others. See, i use bowser too, but i don't think he needs that much improvment..seriously. If they make him faster with faster recovery in brawl...well, there'd be a serious chance of me making him my main then. Characters like ness got the can, because, he's only "sooo" good, he can't reach tournament level play. I guess on that note, i'm glad ice climbers and game and watch and young link are totally gone from brawl. They were weak too, but rightfully so, they were paper in the wind vs. a master.
I love yoshi but like toad... theyre only good in games like mario kart... I think characters like taht are only there so you can convince your little sister/cousin to play with you, thank god for online play... but youshi is a seriously flawed character in melee I think he was better in the fisrt smash game for some reason, his spiking move is specially weak man I was fighting a donkey kong and even at over 100% the spike barely sent him anywhere, as opposed to DKs marios ganons falcons or marths

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
1)For people who don't play tournamnts, he'll be fine(and better)
2)He'll probobly get more updates to him
3)Tiers only apply when skill is equal, and playing styles don't clash

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Just my two cents; Yoshi's second jump makes him immune to knockback while he's performing it, so it would let him survive Ganondorfs Dair.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
1. In case you didn't notice, it turns out Melee and Brawl aren't exactly the same game, which means that the characters that were good and bad in Melee are going to change, which means they will change places on the tier list in Brawl, including characters like Fox and Marth.
2. It's pretty clear that you don't know how to use Yoshi at all, so stop acting like you do.
3. The Ice Climbers are above Ganondorf on the tier list and are better than him in Melee.
4. It was never said that Ness was going to leave, and that thing about thr IV's, G&W and Young Link leaving was just a fake rumor.
You lose sir, good day.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
_the_sandman_
I won several tournaments with Yoshi, clearly you don't get out of the house much if you haven't seen a good Yoshi player yet.
Tournaments in your mom's basement involving you and your two friends don't count.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
wow, way to be a **** freeman.

now back on topic, i think that yoshi is going to be a fun character to play as, which make me glad to see that sakurai isn't just porting the majority of the characters over. he's changed bowser and now yoshi. i can't wait to see what he does next

Dokuro

Smash Ace
bump because people forget that there's already a yoshi thread.

i really hate yoshi's yoshi story look that they've been using in every mario game since then, but oh well.

it can sometimes look cute though, like in

dr.d

Smash Apprentice
so yoshi is a dragon ehh i thought all this time he was a dinosaur then again it makes sense in super mario world he was able to spring small wings, and breath fire all by eating a turtle shell. i would've liked his wings to look not angelic more like leathery green wings.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Now if only the ground shook when he landed, then we'd be all set. Ah, flashing shell, how I miss thee...

A worthy final smash I say =3

ReXXXSoprano

Smash Cadet
Now if only the ground shook when he landed, then we'd be all set. Ah, flashing shell, how I miss thee...

A worthy final smash I say =3
Agreed. I miss 1991 and all the celebrity cartoons. I will slowly backup from the conversation and go play Mario World now.

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
I'll never understand those who still say this is subordinate to the stampade. A bunch of ****ing Yoshi running across the stage vs. this? Where's the appeal of the former?

Shuma

Smash Hero
Yoshi=Cute Dragon, Charizard=bas *** cartoon dragon, Ridley=Bad *** Win Dragon.

We only need one more Dragon in Brawl.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall yoshi EVER spiting out fire for an attack. It's like sakurai is just making up whatever he wants. At this rate, any character COULD be in, and they COULD be the cheapest and the strongest....I fear igglypuff (or whatever the de-evolved form of jigglypuff is) will get into the game and be the most powerful foe ever.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall yoshi EVER spiting out fire for an attack. It's like sakurai is just making up whatever he wants. At this rate, any character COULD be in, and they COULD be the cheapest and the strongest....I fear igglypuff (or whatever the de-evolved form of jigglypuff is) will get into the game and be the most powerful foe ever.

Super Mario World he spits out fire. He also sprouts wings. Do some research before wasting our time.

Top Bottom