• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi discussion!!!

HaXer

Smash Cadet
Maybe there is something inside egg

Maybe there is something inside Egg... Somekind of walking thing or mine.

I thing the best b + up move is To he appeared wing and then he dash up and the wings Broke.

bigman40

Smash Master
Yoshi is ruined.

No more DJC.

Done deal...
What? how can you say that? Just because yoshi lost his DJC doesn't mean he's ruined. It's just going to make people use him differently when trying to use his double jump. It's only going to make people use their first jump to atkinstead of using the DJ.
BTW his reach is twice as long now so i dont see the loss of DJC as a downgrade.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Tomorrow Yoshi is one of the combatants in a voting thing in Forum Games. he may have tough competition against Black Knight & Wolf though.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I've always thought of Yoshi as a decent character in brawl. His up b move was fine with me, his 2nd jump made him literally invisible at times.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone tell me exactly how the lack of DJC will work?
Will Yoshi be unable to attack until the animation finishes? Or will he just keep going up while he uses the attack?

yoshibomb1289

Smash Rookie
:chuckle:whatev yoshi is a bad *** all of his move are swift and sexy and if you dont think so your on crack. His second normal jump completely makes up for his lack of third jump and plus you can use the egg roll for a slight third jump. his down b`s power and launch height is amazing you can send people flying off screen with like 50% damage. The odd`s of ****ting someone off the edge is very unlikely tho but it`s funny as hell when you get it. his smash down tail attack has great distance too ,his egg throw is my favorite thing to do it is key to juggling. If you get good aim with the egg throw it is deadly. I think Yoshi is the most bad *** character in all mario games. Oh and all of his colors are awesome and can anyone tell me if there is going to be a black and white yoshi in brawl.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Can anyone tell me exactly how the lack of DJC will work?
Will Yoshi be unable to attack until the animation finishes? Or will he just keep going up while he uses the attack?
From what I heard he just keeps going upwards while he attacks. Same with Peach I think. It could still help for different combo strategies.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
From what I heard he just keeps going upwards while he attacks. Same with Peach I think. It could still help for different combo strategies.

Yeah, actually, I really like that, it's possible to give Yoshi completely new potential with fighting.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Yeah. Maybe an uair followed with a dair when he's about to move down again, first knocking them up, then down. That'd be a nice combo if possible.
I see it being very reliable with the news hitboxes of yoshi (biggers hitboxes= biggers combos)

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
So do you think you can still cancel the jump with a VB? Because that would be useful, I mean the lag might end up being bad, but it's worth it if you're losing an aerial battle.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Already posted this in the video and impressions thread, but it deserves to be here too. I have found something that could be MAJOR NEWS for Yoshi in a delicious demo video that spotlights our favorite dragon/dino hybrid:

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/6968/super-smash-bros-brawl-2-videos-in-1-at-e-for-all-expo-2007/

First I will note a few cool Yoshi things. In the beginning, Yoshi does an odd new move twice, looks like its a down tilt or something (but I think his Melee down tilt has been seen in another vid). A bit later, he rolls around Pit and grabs him. His down throw seems to have better knockback. It threw Pit pretty high at only 20%. In the middle of the vid you see him do his apparently new forward tilt which uses his tail.

The big thing is seen after he down throws Pit, near the beginning... Sonic hits Yoshi who techs it like a champ. Then, Yoshi turns around, jumps in the air, double jumps and air dodges at the same time, which sends him down into the ground. As in, he Double Jump Canceled with his air dodge! While it may sound useless compared to the Melee DJC at first, think about a certain Melee technique that required you to air dodge into the ground...

Thats right, it might just be that Yoshi is the first known wavedasher in Brawl! Imagine Yoshi's potential if he was the only character able to do this? Now I REALLY cant wait to try out Yoshi as soon as I get the game. This could be BIG for a metagame Yoshi!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Ahhh, that's pretty cool.
I guess the cause of this is that Yoshi's double-jump has such a weird momentum... it sends him down at first, doesn't it? So I guess if he airdodges during this phase, he keeps going and airdodges down. But since wavedashing in Melee requires airdodging before you even leave the ground, this doesn't seem too applicable.
Now, the fact that he did apparently double-jump cancel is interesting. Maybe he still can, just at a different time during the jump...? Hm.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Certainly a nice find. Heh, maybe Yoshi will finally move to the Top tiers because of this. Actually I hope he'll get up a little without it, but meh. I don't really care for tier lists anyways.

I like the new Yoshi victory theme though, the Melee one sounded a little ''too'' sweet, like Yoshi's Story also was (though it still was a pretty good game''. I actually hoped he had some kind of tune from Yoshi's Island or Mario World this time around though, as those games are 100 times better than Yoshi's Story.

The forward tilt.. yeah, that could pretty much be using his tail. I liked the kick attack in Melee, so I hope it's not worse than that.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
If Yoshi uses his FS and shoots fireballs at you, couldn't you just roll or sidestep to dodge it?
Not if Yoshi decides to hold down the attack and unleash some dragon breath on them lol.

But yeah i wouldn't be surprised to see people sidestep the fireballs -_-

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about this: What if Yoshi's eggs changed color depending on what color he was? I've always wondered about that. I think it would be a nice aesthetic touch.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Its interesting, in Super Mario World Yoshi could fly eating certain shells (blue yoshi) and spit fire with certain shells (normal/red yoshi)... and yellow yoshi had super powerful ground pounds.

I wish that was part of the final smash. That you could ground pound extra powerfully (with some actual priority! lol :laugh:), because the final smash is a compilation of his SMW abilitys but the ground pound is blatantly missing

^-- They should seriously do it.. how hard can it be to change them. Its that way in all his games, the color of the yoshi = the color of the dots on the eggs. Its so lazy of sakurai to just leave it green as default for every color. I seriously hope its diffrent in the final release...

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
His jump already IS improved, everytime you use his Egg Toss now he moves up a little when he's in the air. Similar to Mario's cape.

Yoshi's ground pound is pretty... powerful but i never noticed the different couler eggs he throw when you change his colour lol. Thats pretty weird.
That has only been in the Yoshi's Story and Island games, as well as in Mario World where the color Yoshi would match the egg color. So it would be nice if they could implement this, as another reference to that stuff..

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Whatever about the colour. How about his gameplay? lol jk ;)

Yoshi looks impressive. You know how he was such an awkward character for alot of people that never tried him? Well I think everybody is gonna at least try him now. His differences from the rest of the cast are now more just other traits instead of totally different functions. And he looks like he's freakin good!!!

Foe

Smash Journeyman
That has only been in the Yoshi's Story and Island games, as well as in Mario World where the color Yoshi would match the egg color. So it would be nice if they could implement this, as another reference to that stuff..
In Yoshi Story DS the eggs stay green..? Though, I agree it would be cool.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I actually liked the white, but it could still have looked a lot better. I hope you can alter it between colors, or just between black and white.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
That was Yoshi's extra weight bonus that he gains during his second jump, not a DJC. DJC is when the second jump is canceled by an attack, when done quickly can let you do an aerial very close to the ground. But you knew that right? :p

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
I think yoshi should have three jumps. In the Yoshi's Island games, yoshi could do a full jump, flutter jump to gain more height, and then continuosly flutter jump to gain more horizontal ground. Now he could do this forever and ever so in brawl, I think he should be able to do a fulll jump and flutter jump two more times after that. This would improve his game tremendously. Discuss.

Top Bottom