• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Wolf Metagame Discussion

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Using Wolf like you use Marth isn't a bad idea at all. Spacing, lots of unlaggy moves - that works well

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Thank you, and yes it is working out for me, I might keep him as a secondary (I've gone through Ike, Snake, Zero Suit, MK, G&W, ROB, and Pit en route to wolf) I need to perfect 0 lag fairs though and I'll be a lot better than I am now.

jaap

Smash Cadet
can some maybe write the most usefull info in this thread in 1 post? would make it easier 2 read :)

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
can some maybe write the most usefull info in this thread in 1 post? would make it easier 2 read :)
I had already written one post of the useful things, non-useful things, and what was still being debated upon in this thread a few pages back. So in compliance with your request, I'll repost a new version of the list composing of what is still useful, what is still not useful, and what is currently being debated on.

note: Somethings maybe in mutltiple categories due to nature of the move such as illusion canceling being in all three since it can be useful, but not useful if you cant do it, and thus, must be debated upon more to find its uses and ways to use it(unless you already know how).

Useful

Scarring
Semi-scarring
0 Lag Fair
WoW (Wall of Wolf)
Reflector
Controlled Laser spamming
RAR'ed Bair
F-tilt
U-tilt
D-tilt
Nair
DACUS
AAA Combo
Up-smash in general
F-smash in general
D-smash in general
Illusion Canceling for recovery
Basic AT's
D-Throw
B-Throw
F-Throw
Dair spiking on occasions
Camping(when necessary)
Up B recovery
Uair

Not Useful

Up B attacking
Illusion canceling
Infinite Aerials
Camping(when not needed)
F-smash spamming

Still Being Debated Upon

U-Throw
Flash Canceling
Tilts and their general uses
Dair in general

Hopefully this compiled list of moves can help you idnteify what needs to be worked on/investigated, and what has or has already been deemed as useful/necessary.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
They're the same thing, Sess, just like fox and falco's cancel.

For Dair, it has decent vertical range, I think it is somewhat usable onstage, but there are usually better options. Uthrow really doesn't do anything for wolf, unless the opponent has a weak spot below them, in which case it's passable.

JCav

Smash Lord
Uthrow really doesn't do anything for wolf, unless the opponent has a weak spot below them, in which case it's passable.
u throw in general isnt a very useful throw but i think its good to use every once in a while, someones not paying attention, illusion

I like Tilts, they are good, Dtilt is underrated.
i agree this move has some good range.

i also think that the 2nd hit of wolfs ftilt has some utility, it has range to rival marths f smash

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I didn't know that it rivalled Marth's Fsmash, good to know although I prefer ditto Marth matches. The good thing about using 2 good characters is that you don't have to ever have a crappy matchup except for MK.

JCav

Smash Lord
I didn't know that it rivalled Marth's Fsmash, good to know although I prefer ditto Marth matches. The good thing about using 2 good characters is that you don't have to ever have a crappy matchup except for MK.

the only problem is that its just hard to space so you only hit with the second hit

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
D-tilt is pretty good imo. I like to sometimes end my AAA combo with a D-tilt instead cause I can usually follow that up with a F-smash or some other technique depending on their %.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ftilt is usually better than dtilt though. Dtilt can trip and Wolf ducks so there might be situations, where you prefer dtilt...but ftilt is usually better...

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I've started mixing up my jabs with all kinds of craziness. I'll throw a DACUS in, a 0-lag fair, etc.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Jab mixups are good, I use utilt jab jab ftilt/dtilt whenever possible at low %s.

The only thing I don't like about ftilt is that it can't be followed up too well with something close range, otherwise its better, range-wise and damage-wise.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Can Wolf do a Dash Attack -> 0 Lag Up-Smash, Like Falco's Gatling combo, I tried doing it, but it doesn't work :( I only know how to do it with Falco, Snake and Wario... (I can do the Slide though)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The rolling takes too long, personally. I can't consistently hug for my life, it's ridiculously helpful though. I usually run off and sideB to the ledge, but that's also more time consuming than it should be.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well, that's probably the best idea if you can't get hugging down. It's way too hard with wolf, I can do it with most other characters in my sleep, but the short time difference between SH and hugging makes a big difference.

SH might be faster from a distance though, because wolf's air speed is more or less on par with his ground speed, probably even faster. When you're closer than the full distance you can go with a SH, that's where the couple of frames difference come into play.

JCav

Smash Lord
wolf's air speed is more or less on par with his ground speed, probably even faster.
ive thought about this a few times. just replacing all dashing with shorthops because wolfs horizontal air movement is so good. but i tested one wolf dashing from one side of fd and another wolf just doing shorthops and the dashing wolf won.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
That sucks... and his dashing speed isn't even fast... but either way, we need to get hugging down. It's only going to become more useful as the metagame develops, and I think everyone will agree with me that any gimp that wolf can get is much appreciated.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
If I'm on the left ledge... I can do it consistently, however, with the right edge, I really can't >_>

I don't even know why, I seem to enjoy moving the stick to the left more than the right, same thing with Boost Smashing, I can do it better from right to left than left to right O_O I'm gonna have to train some sort of muscle memory to do it on the right...

THough it's certainly annoying, I'll give you guys that. I find it easier to do with Marth and Kirby (My secondaries) than with Wolf. But eh, whatever, Sakurai wanted to nerf the bad guy, Let freakin' Falco win >_>

JCav

Smash Lord
If I'm on the left ledge... I can do it consistently, however, with the right edge, I really can't >_>

I don't even know why, I seem to enjoy moving the stick to the left more than the right, same thing with Boost Smashing, I can do it better from right to left than left to right O_O I'm gonna have to train some sort of muscle memory to do it on the right...

THough it's certainly annoying, I'll give you guys that. I find it easier to do with Marth and Kirby (My secondaries) than with Wolf. But eh, whatever, Sakurai wanted to nerf the bad guy, Let freakin' Falco win >_>
thats so weird... im the same way but im better on the right side of the stage

but i have another question, to renew invincibility which one would you do?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PwLzQ2318

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Hmm.... I'd use the second one, you can get owned big time if someone manages to hog you the first way. They seem about the same in terms of how long it takes though. If I need extra frames, I just get up from the ledge when they get close, or hop back and bair them. Ledge attack > 100% gives me the most time I think. Either way, if you have the time to use either of these, there shouldn't be any repercussions to either one, as long as you time it well.

Top Bottom