• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Toon Link support thread, home to the Knights of the Drowned Kingdom!

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Yes... It is just my luck to name myself after a technique that Sakurai deems unworthy for Brawl....

Back on subject: I do wish they would have taken advantage of the variety of Link's weapons in Wind Waker, but since they didn't, I'm not dwelling on it. I'm just looking forward to hopefully a very unique playstyle for Toon Link.

toon link 94

Smash Apprentice
toon link is very well done then i thought he was going to be, suprised me!
toon link is now my most favorite character there is!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
L-cancel, what are you doing here? You have no place in Brawl, scat! leave this place! Sakurai deemed it so!

I say Sakurai doesn't know best, because personally, he doesn't know what kind of game he's making (made). He made an extremely good game, but in what mind frame? what genre? This is where the opinions differ.
Sakurai clearly created Brawl in the mindset that Brawl is NOT a game in the "Fighting" genre. Whereas, he should have.
I disagree. I love Smash Bros precisely BECAUSE of its stark differences from other fighters. The beauty of the series is that it appeals to both hardcore fighting game fans and casual gamers who just want a crazy party game to play with friends. For me, I can enjoy it on both levels. And if he decided to cater to ONLY the fighting fans or ONLY the casuals he would be alienating half his audience. Brawl is the perfect compromise between the extremes which is why so many different people will love it.

Do you know why games like Tekken, DoA, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, don't have good single player modes or extra modes? It's because they are Fighting games. They were made with the characters and gameplay as top priority. Everything else is secondary.
And I just don't think Sakurai did this. In fact, it's painfully obvious he didn't do this. He made a great game, but not in the Fighting genre.
I'm really excited for the single player mode for a change, as it will definitely give the Brawl cast more personality. And unlike previosu interations, this single player campaign looks like it'll have some depth (co-op, a sticker based levling up system, replaying to catch all the bosses in trophies, etc.) And extra modes like the map maker have me WAAAY more exited than anything else in the game.

I believe many people would agree with me that they'd much rather more and/or unique characters instead of most of the extra things stuffed into Brawl.
People might THINK they want more characters, but would they be willing to settle for a less polished game in the process? The fact of the matter is that spending three years on such a modest sized roster means that they must have spent a crazy ammount of time on the character balance and fine tuning all the moves and mechanics like never before. I'd much rather have the best playing Smash Bros yet AND have a ton of extra modes than get a 50 character roster.

Point being: I think most people are thrilled with what we got. As well they should be.

Oh.. and uhhh... Toon Link is teh awesomeness!!!!111

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
If he was so busy fine tuning things then there would NOT be clones, matter of fact is that he spent to much time on all the other crappy things that he left the multiplayer mode in the dust.

And dont be to excited about stage creator, it looks meh at best. It is so ****ing,limiting.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
If he was so busy fine tuning things then there would NOT be clones, matter of fact is that he spent to much time on all the other crappy things that he left the multiplayer mode in the dust.
I actually approve of the inclusion of clones. Think about it: clones can be included in a FRACTION of the devlopment time - meaning that without them you'd have a much smaller roster. And I'd much rather have three characters like Toon Link (who is plenty cool and unique despite being a clone) than just one character with a new moveset.

Heck, I MAINED Doc in Melee and would have regreted it if I hadn't had the option of choosing him over normal Mario. I think Falco, Young Link and Ganondorf players would agree.

And whether you not you appreciate it, this game has the largest and best roster in the series. 35 characters is PLENTY is the gamplay is the best in the series. Also, the stageselection (ever without the stage builder) has really impressed me. Smashville? Great Sea? Lylay Cruise? Distant Planet? I can't remmeber being so excited about the stages in a game before.

And dont be to excited about stage creator, it looks meh at best. It is so ****ing,limiting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQTlYHFdwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCQWwvZYE1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL4-buc5UDc

Limiting? Look at some of these creations people have made after tinkering with the map maker in less than a week! From the looks of it, almost any stage structure in Smash 64 or Melee can be recreated pretty accurately. I guarantee that the stuff creative smashers will dream up in the years to come will blow your mind!

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate what a near perfect masterpeice Sakuari and his crew have created. If you're disappointed, then its your own fault.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
I actually agree with Wiseguy.

Smash was originally a fighting game, Kabyk, that's why I think he knows what he's doing. Most people expected it to be a fighting game, but the Single Player modes make it seem so Nintendo like. Platforms, you know?

Don't jump to conclusions yet, some people I knew that really liked Halo 2 were disappointed by the fact that a lot of the glitches were taken out, like the BXR and whatnot. I'm sure most of us can live without WaveDashing.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I'm still opposed to the extra modes. Here's why.
It's now been 7 years since Melee was released. When you go to turn on the game, what mode do you play? Most people will say VS, and only VS. You might play the other modes once in a while, but 90%+ is all VS mode.
Now, when did this shift come about? When did the Adventure Mode and Special Melee stop being played frequently? Maybe 1 year, maybe 5 years.

In the end, no matter how long it takes, all that matters is characters, gameplay, and stages. This is the inevitable truth of ALL Fighting games. Smash is no different, no matter how unique the fighting system is, because it really is a Fighting game.

Hero of Winds 4 Ever.

Parassita

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai wanted to make it unique, and if it means a few 'Edits', I'll take it. The SSE is well made, and I love all the extra content he fit in. It just wouldn't be as good without the originality Nintendo can provide.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'm still opposed to the extra modes. Here's why.
It's now been 7 years since Melee was released. When you go to turn on the game, what mode do you play? Most people will say VS, and only VS. You might play the other modes once in a while, but 90%+ is all VS mode.
Now, when did this shift come about? When did the Adventure Mode and Special Melee stop being played frequently? Maybe 1 year, maybe 5 years.

In the end, no matter how long it takes, all that matters is characters, gameplay, and stages. This is the inevitable truth of ALL Fighting games. Smash is no different, no matter how unique the fighting system is, because it really is a Fighting game.

Hero of Winds 4 Ever.
Everyone knows that Smash Bros lives and dies by its Vs. Mode. That's why the game has a HUGE and varied roster of unique and fun characters, a MASSIVE array of awe-inspiring stages, the ability to CREATE YOUR OWN STAGES, the ability to PLAY ONLINE, the ability to record videos and screenshots of your matches, as well as the most refined and polished gameplay the series has ever seen (see the link in my previous post). In short, Sakuarai and his team gave us everything we could reasonably want in this regard.

But don't dismiss the other modes. There are some hardcore players who put a ton of hours into the homerun contest, break the targets and multi-man melee and with the addition of online play, video recording and co-op this will definitely increase. The ability to unlock things like trophies and music is also one of the things that I'm really looking forward to.

Finally, I think you are overlooking the potential signifiance of the SSE. Not only does it look like a fun 10-or-so hours but non-Smash fans may be entised to play the series because of this mode. Also, with things like the INTENSE difficulty setting, replayability to capture all the bosses in trophies, the addition of co-op and the possibility of speed runs I think this could be a very, very worthwhile addition in the long run.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I agree with your points on the SSE and trying to draw in new players, etc. I'm not saying that the roster is bad either. It's a very nice roster. It's just that, for some reason, something about it bothers me. I think it may be the clones.

I'm a fan of clones, but the thing is, we got the same exact numbers from Melee. Melee got 9 new movesets (from Smash 64), most of them starters. Brawl is the exact same. We got 9 new movesets, 11 if you consider Falco and Wolf although I'd say half-movesets for them, so 10, with most of them starters. The numbers bug me a little bit, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because the Melee roster is boring me a little bit, and seeing the same number increase ratio is a little disheartening.

While I like clones, they seem like lazy character additions. For Brawl, it just seemed that he was going all-out for each character, and if Hero of Winds and Ganon were making it in, they should be unique to keep that mindset. It may also bug me that Ganon is not only a luigified clone, but doesn't look that good either. I dunno, have to wait and see.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I agree with your points on the SSE and trying to draw in new players, etc. I'm not saying that the roster is bad either. It's a very nice roster. It's just that, for some reason, something about it bothers me. I think it may be the clones.

I'm a fan of clones, but the thing is, we got the same exact numbers from Melee. Melee got 9 new movesets (from Smash 64), most of them starters. Brawl is the exact same. We got 9 new movesets, 11 if you consider Falco and Wolf although I'd say half-movesets for them, so 10, with most of them starters. The numbers bug me a little bit, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because the Melee roster is boring me a little bit, and seeing the same number increase ratio is a little disheartening.

While I like clones, they seem like lazy character additions. For Brawl, it just seemed that he was going all-out for each character, and if Hero of Winds and Ganon were making it in, they should be unique to keep that mindset. It may also bug me that Ganon is not only a luigified clone, but doesn't look that good either. I dunno, have to wait and see.
I'm not sure where you're going with that. Increasing the roster proportionally from Melee to Brawl in the same way the roster increased from 64 to Melee is perfectly reasonable
when you think about all the refinements to the gameplay that were made (weakening spammed attacks is a stroke of genius).

The fact of the matter is that if they could have included more characters or less clones, they would have. Regardless, I'm really happy with how Toon Link turned out (Bombs, bow and boomerang are kinda what he's all about) and Ganondorf's cloned moveset is actually more unique than a sword moveset would have been (we have enough swordfighters, I say).

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
After all this time, I was expecting more characters, because that's really what I care about. I am absolutely opposed to the Vault stuff and all that, but that's just how I am. I'll have to play the game for any kind of change can be made to my opinion.

Well, yes, Ganon has been luigified, but it looks like he got worse though. I watched a couple of video's, seems lackluster at best. W/E

Hero of Winds 4 Ever.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
After all this time, I was expecting more characters, because that's really what I care about. I am absolutely opposed to the Vault stuff and all that, but that's just how I am. I'll have to play the game for any kind of change can be made to my opinion.

Well, yes, Ganon has been luigified, but it looks like he got worse though. I watched a couple of video's, seems lackluster at best. W/E

Hero of Winds 4 Ever.
The "vault" is just a chronological list of Nintendo games and some retro demos that they threw on the disk. I guarantee that they didn't take away development resorces from additional characters.

It's tough to tell how good or bad the characters are at this point, so I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Parassita

Smash Apprentice
Ganon looks cool to me, he has the TP model right?

Again, I say: Don't jump to conclusions just yet, Brawl hasn't come out yet everywhere. Watching videos doesn't tell you EVERYTHING about a game (I forgot which pro said that :ohwell:)

Still doesn't change the fact that I'll main Toon Link XD
Yeah, TP model. His FS turning into Ganon Beast is also TP.
I like to jump to conclusions! Especially since the videos are pretty accurate. We'll know everything first-hand in 31 days either way.
Same here! Toon Link FTW.

Goth Luigi

Smash Rookie
Ganon looks cool to me, he has the TP model right?

Again, I say: Don't jump to conclusions just yet, Brawl hasn't come out yet everywhere. Watching videos doesn't tell you EVERYTHING about a game (I forgot which pro said that :ohwell:)

Still doesn't change the fact that I'll main Toon Link XD
(Hi, I'm just gonna bud in here) The videos are really clear so we can expect his FS to be turning into Ganon Beast.( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HU_AJbx10Q ) 31 Days is a long wait but if you can wait long enough (and this video isn't clear enough), We'll all see what we have most expected waited for. SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL!

I think Ganon's FS could've a little more different (it seems like C. Falcon's but without the movie thing).

Yeah, the movies are accurate, but you never know until you play yourself (like that saying, "better said than done"). I thought Guitar Hero looked hella easy when I first saw it, but I kept screwing up when I first picked it up. Then I got better (I can play expert XD ). Brawl could feel really different from Melee (like what I thought between Melee and S64).

Also to Goth Luigi: I've seen that vid many times XD. Also, this is a Toon Link thread, but you sorta saved yourself with Brawl ending thing so yeah...:)

Neader

Smash Rookie
I'd like to join knights of the drowned kinghdom please! I know i haven't posted on this forum as much as i am other ones (braw central and gonintendo) but yeah i'd love to join toon link looks awesome and young link was my main in melee so yeah. (Sorry if this was already explained earlier on how to join and suc just 61 pages is um yeah..)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I got to play Brawl today! I used Toon Link once, and, with all bias favoritism aside, he's great. He has a lot going for him. His Nair is like a seizure in his sword arm, and it's just an amazing defensive and offensive move. I DID dair suicide myself, even though I told myself I wouldn't, but what're you gonna do, eh?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to more of him, and he seems to be a great character in reality as well as in our fantasies!

Hero of Winds 4 Ever.

I got to play Brawl today! I used Toon Link once, and, with all bias favoritism aside, he's great. He has a lot going for him. His Nair is like a seizure in his sword arm, and it's just an amazing defensive and offensive move. I DID dair suicide myself, even though I told myself I wouldn't, but what're you gonna do, eh?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to more of him, and he seems to be a great character in reality as well as in our fantasies!

Hero of Winds 4 Ever.
WAHT!!!1!!2 How'd you get to play? The only chance I have of playing is from my cousin's boyfriend, and I've never met the guy! :(

Anywayz: Nice! I was starting to get my hopes down for him too haha
Still, I wish his Dair didn't like the ground so much...either way that's cool XD

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I got to play from a friend's friend's friend who imported it from japan. It's true, in this world, it's not what you know, it's who you know.
His Nair is going to be a WOP in itself considering how high and how far off the ledge Hero of Winds can go without dying, it's just that great. At least, from what I can tell. Don't take my word for law because I only got to use him once for 4 minutes. I might've just been getting them all in because no one contest the move.

I was toadstool jumped once, didn't even know it happened. It basically does nothing except put you back in your tumble animation and pushes you downwards. It's really only effective against Yoshi who lacks an up-b, but will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience for anyone with an average up-b.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
the "T" in Toon Link stands for Top Tier lol
NO! You are WRONG!

It stands for TOO(N) F***ING BROKEN, TOO(N) F***ING GOOD, TOO(N) F***ING AWSOME, TOO(N) F***ING COOL, AND TOO(N) F***ING AMAZING! :laugh: :chuckle: :) :grin: ;)

Edit:

And the day I play and unlock Too(n) Awsome Young Link is the day I get seizure, heart attack, and so on at the same time from massive amounts of joy. Not gonna lie...Young Link IS ALL my hype for Brawl, lol! :laugh: (along with all the SMB3 remixes, OF COURSE! :))

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ I think they're two airship themes, actually. But they're only a bit diffrent. I have most of the Brawl songs downloaded, lol! Seriously, TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK on a Airship Armada Stage Builder stage based off mainly Galaxy and somewhat SMB3, to the Airship song....I might die from TEH EPICNEZZ! :laugh:

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Hey. I've been going around giving each support thread a decent picture of the character they are supporting. Maybe you could use this in a banner or something.

(It's one of my favorites. He looks sweet in this picture.)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
so how do you join the knights? I'm so planning on maining T.Link.
You have to go through a rigorous college alcohol hazing initiation followed by running laps through The Gauntlet of 1,000 Arrows. That hall ends in a pit of fire-spewing snakes which drops down to a cavern that has All the forms of Ganondorf from all the LoZ games in a single room, all trying to kill you. This, in turn, breaks the cave wall where a rush of water floods the cavern to try and drown you. And when you try and swim to the surface, sharks bite at your toes.

If you can complete this, you can be in the KotDK.

C'mon, everyone's doing it!

Fawriel

Smash Master
so how do you join the knights? I'm so planning on maining T.Link.
What Kabyk-Greenmist said. That, or you can just ask.

kdone!

I'd like to join knights of the drowned kinghdom please! I know i haven't posted on this forum as much as i am other ones (braw central and gonintendo) but yeah i'd love to join toon link looks awesome and young link was my main in melee so yeah. (Sorry if this was already explained earlier on how to join and suc just 61 pages is um yeah..)
Aaand you're in, too!
Maybe once my life becomes a little less stressful, I'll turn the club into a little more than a list of names. For now, just enjoy the complementary green shirt. It's very green.

NO! You are WRONG!

It stands for TOO(N) F***ING BROKEN, TOO(N) F***ING GOOD, TOO(N) F***ING AWSOME, TOO(N) F***ING COOL, AND TOO(N) F***ING AMAZING! :laugh: :chuckle: :) :grin: ;)

Edit:

And the day I play and unlock Too(n) Awsome Young Link is the day I get seizure, heart attack, and so on at the same time from massive amounts of joy. Not gonna lie...Young Link IS ALL my hype for Brawl, lol! :laugh: (along with all the SMB3 remixes, OF COURSE! :))
Sir, you make the knights proud.
Scared, but proud.

Hey. I've been going around giving each support thread a decent picture of the character they are supporting. Maybe you could use this in a banner or something.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2646/highrestoonlinkjr1.jpg

(It's one of my favorites. He looks sweet in this picture.)
Oy! I was just about to post a cool screenshot I took of him from a Youtube video, and you went and one-up'd me before I even thought about it! Curse you!

Ah well, here's the screenshot anyway:

NOW!

Knights assemble, for I have a proposition to make!
Since most of us can agree that the name "Toon Link" stinks in one way or another, let's try to come up with a better one in order to popularize it in the event that the name isn't changed for the non-Japanese version!

I propose "Lil' Link".

Any agreements or further suggestions?

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
I'm in! I feel so proud of myself! I need a new sig now...

As for name suggestions, how about Water Link (with all the sailing), Cel Link, or Minish Link (man I loved that game), Four Sword Link, or New Link? Just throwing stuff out there...

Top Bottom