• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Takamaru in Brawl Thread! *ADDED MORE MATERIAL*

tirkaro

Smash Champion
SWF is awfully slow on weekends
There's gotta be a reason Samurai Goroh was assisted! He's GOTTA be the reason.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was the reason. I mean:

goroh: can only use swords and fists, comes from an already established franchise, wasn't on the poll etc.

takamaru: can use swords, fireballs, ivisibility, shuriken, lightning, comes from a new franchise, was mentioned many times on the poll, is a retro character, etc.

no offense to goroh fans, but I suppose in the end, this roster wasn't big enough for 2 samurai, and goroh got assist trophied while takamaru got in the playable roster. at least, I think so.

Meh, too much swordsman in Brawl = any old fighting game. The only thing hes got going for him is hes retro imo.
a sword is a common weapon used by video game characters. if you're making a fighting game about video game characters, of course there's going to be a good number of sword users :/
and I dont know how sword users make it like any old fighting game. unless you're talking about soul calibur or samurai showdown. "any old fighting game" mostly uses fist-fighters.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Is this also the thread that said that the reason Pit was in Brawl was because of the GBA Famicom Mini series, and the fact that Takamaru's game (Nazo no Murasame) also was well recieved in it's port to the GBA? Also was it true that Sakurai previewed his game for character ideas, or is that a rumor?

Hong

The Strongest
I have never heard of him. Is he popular in Japan?
Ranked 4th on the Japanese polls apparently. Mystery of Murasame Castle is an amazing game, so I'm not surprised. You should be able to play it without too much difficulty since it isn't that text heavy.

*NormalGamer*

Smash Rookie
He seems to be a very great character. :)

I haven't played the Japanese game he starred in. Would be nice if it comes to the VC so that more people can play it to know more beyond Nintendo's history.

Also, after reading this entire thread, it would be fun to use Takamaru in Brawl if he ever makes it in the roster. ^_^

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
My problem with Takamaru is that, in my opinion, he´s not the best choice for an obscure or Japan-only character. If you´re going to go obscure, why not go obscure? Doshin the Giant or the main character from Time Twist would have far more innovative movesets, which is my other problem with Takamaru; in the end he´s another male swordsman.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
My problem with Takamaru is that, in my opinion, he´s not the best choice for an obscure or Japan-only character. If you´re going to go obscure, why not go obscure? Doshin the Giant or the main character from Time Twist would have far more innovative movesets,
doshin would be way to big, and he's not really that obscure, since his game was released in europe. I have no idea what time twist is, I cant even find it on wikipedia or google. is that some sort of fan game or something?

which is my other problem with Takamaru; in the end he´s another male swordsman.
......first off, did you ever play nazo no murusame-jo? takamaru isn't just any old swordsman. hes a samurai. and in case you dont know, samurai move a lot differently than the more european style of ike and link. and that brings me another gripe I have. whats wrong with swordsmen? there's a lot more fist-fighters in smash than there are swordsmen. if anything, there needs to be more weapon-users in brawl and less fist fighters.
but anyway, a sword isn't the only weapon takamaru has. he also has shuriken, fireballs, can turn invisible, etc. and they could even make up more weapons for him (like what they did with pit, by turning his bow into some sort of dual-knife thing) given his feudal-japan-ish nature. whatever you think :ohwell:

I haven't played the Japanese game he starred in. Would be nice if it comes to the VC so that more people can play it to know more beyond Nintendo's history.
I imported the famicom mini version from japan, but they should also release it on the VC. If Kid icarus can get on the VC, nazo no murusame should as well >_>

Hong

The Strongest
It only surprises me because there's not a lot of dialogue to translate.
Come on Nintendo. From my experience, it'd only take a few translators, coders and editors. Or even just one of each if you want to give them a week. :/

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to say that at this point Sakurai is going to have to make him playable, or not in the game, or a sticker/trophy, which would tick fans off.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I was like "Who???" when i first saw the thread.

but i read through all the pages and was like "Wow!! Why not?"

so to show mu support, I drew a Kirby hat for him i hope you like it. =)

I don't like it--I love it! Really great work, silver.

Of the Japan-only characters, I agree that Takamaru has the best chance of being included on the playable roster, closely followed by Skapon. I would prefer Skapon to Takamaru, but both would be a dream come true. :grin:

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I was like "Who???" when i first saw the thread.

but i read through all the pages and was like "Wow!! Why not?"

so to show mu support, I drew a Kirby hat for him i hope you like it. =)

DUDE, THAT IS AWESOME!

(Do you have a deviantART page? If so, could you PM me a link to it?)

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Why would Takamaru be in Brawl? He was in one game, on the NES only in Japan. What chance does he have?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Why would Takamaru be in Brawl? He was in one game, on the NES

only in Japan.

What chance does he have?
for one, he's popular (ranked 4th place on the poll), is a unique character(samurai, especially now that goro is out of the way >:3), takamaru might be the reason for goro's disinclusion(I'm not saying, "ZOMG, TAKAMRU HAS TO BE IN BRAWL SINCE GORO ISN'T IN!!!!1", but its something to consider, is a retro character(sakurai likes retro.), has the highest chance of any japan-only character(popularity, all the other stuff I said above, etc.), has recently gained a cult fanbase in the west(as you can see by this thread :p).

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Great rebuttal, tirkaro! It's so very true, though. Takamaru not only has a great chance, but has a strong fanbase in Japan to boot. His Western fanbase isn't quite as strong (for obvious reasons), but he has piqued many Smashers' respective interests nonetheless.

Hong

The Strongest
I love Mystery of Murasame Castle! I'd love if Takamaru was in Brawl. Not just because he's a valid character (as kindly stated many times earlier in this thread), but then we could get his game on English Virtual Console since it doesn't have that much dialogue to translate and code.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Why would Takamaru be in Brawl? He was in one game, on the NES only in Japan. What chance does he have?
Why do people even bother posting stuff like this?
I for one, think that he will either be playable or not in the game at all at this point. Why do we need 2 Samurai as an assist Trophy? One of them hasn't EVER used a samurai sword in their game appearances and one's main means of attack is using a sword, one is also more requested then the other yet the less wanted one gets in while the more wanted one doesn't appear at all? No... just no.... After these updates, it's OBVIOUS that Brawl is definitely focusing on fan request this time around.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Takamaru seems like a great addition to the game. I would like to see him in the game, I just hope they dont flood the game with a billion sword users.

but yeah takamaru FTW!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I for one, think that he will either be playable or not in the game at all at this point. Why do we need 2 Samurai as an assist Trophy? One of them hasn't EVER used a samurai sword in their game appearances and one's main means of attack is using a sword, one is also more requested then the other yet the less wanted one gets in while the more wanted one doesn't appear at all? No... just no.... After these updates, it's OBVIOUS that Brawl is definitely focusing on fan request this time around.
Agreed on all counts. There are some ignorant people who make posts like the one you referenced, but there is very little that we can do to get rid of them. Takamaru deserves a spot in Brawl nonetheless, and his strong support will likely secure him said spot.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

for one, he's popular (ranked 4th place on the poll), is a unique character(samurai, especially now that goro is out of the way >:3), takamaru might be the reason for goro's disinclusion(I'm not saying, "ZOMG, TAKAMRU HAS TO BE IN BRAWL SINCE GORO ISN'T IN!!!!1", but its something to consider, is a retro character(sakurai likes retro.), has the highest chance of any japan-only character(popularity, all the other stuff I said above, etc.), has recently gained a cult fanbase in the west(as you can see by this thread :p).
HA! You just go owned, Hejiru. :p

But that's old news, I bet... Still, cool.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
So is anyone else hoping for NEWCOMER: TAKAMARU this week? Seeing as Sakurai has gone Newcomer-crazy through August, it seems only fitting for the newcomers to keep on coming. Granted, I see Takamaru as a hidden character more than a default character, but one can never be too sure--it IS Sakurai-san, after all. =) I can just imagine how he would look in Brawl (combine Pit's style with Takamaru's design) and I'm drooling already. Bring it on, Sakurai!

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
So is anyone else hoping for NEWCOMER: TAKAMARU this week? Seeing as Sakurai has gone Newcomer-crazy through August, it seems only fitting for the newcomers to keep on coming. Granted, I see Takamaru as a hidden character more than a default character, but one can never be too sure--it IS Sakurai-san, after all. =) I can just imagine how he would look in Brawl (combine Pit's style with Takamaru's design) and I'm drooling already. Bring it on, Sakurai!
I'm sure he will probably be secret if Pit is a defualt.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does he do anything but be a stereotypical samurai-type guy?

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I found something interesting on the old Melee site questionnaire in Japaneses.

A kid's (or fans') question

僕は受験生なのでスマブラDXが発売したにもかかわらず
ゲームキューブ買うことすら出来ません。
友達の家で3時間ほどやりました。
最初はネス使いました。やっぱりネスはいいです。
64の時からネスばっかり使ってます。
でも・・・マルスとかロイとか
剣使うキャラっていうのは僕にとって憧れの存在なんです。
剣っていいですよね?かっこいいですよね?
もし、自分の体より大きな大剣使うキャラがいたのなら
僕はまっさきにそれを使います。
たとえ動きが遅かろうとも一撃であいてをしとめるような
そんな武士道を極めつくしている。
そんなキャラがいたら面白いだろうなぁ。と思いました。
それはまさに覇王丸のような・・・

Sakurai's Response

比較的動きが鈍くて一撃が大きいキャラは
いるのですが、そういう武士道キャラの
存在意義もわかります・・・。

・・・鷹丸?(←『謎の村雨城』)
いや、あんな感じではなくて。

Basically from what I can get the guy is a fan of sword users (who used to like Ness?) and was asking about a character that can use a large sword bigger than their own body, but said that they will probably be slow because of that (technically asking for a character that is now Ike). And asked Sakurai if a character like that could be in Smash (I think). And Sakurai (I hope jokingly) mentions Takamaru (Literally said "...Takamaru? From Nazo No Murasame Jou") in his answer and then says that Takamru wouldn't really be like that. Obviously Sakurai knows about him and views him as playable material. Granted this was right after Melee and now that people are ASKING for him too? Yeah I'm saying he probably will be in this one.

Fan
謎の村雨城の鷹丸はでないんすかね。 でないと言われればいさぎよくあきらめるけど。
開発がんばってくださいね!応援してます!!

A fan asking about making him appear again to help his fanbase and support.

A response by Sakurai

アンソロジーに答えられる企画として、
たしかにスマブラは近道なのかもしれません。

「謎の村雨城」の新作が出るのと、
スマブラの新作に「鷹丸」が出演するのでは、
どっちが確率が高いのか・・・。

あ、どっちも低いですね。(しまった)

Here Sakurai says that Takamaru's appearance in a new Smash could depend on how well the re print/Re work of the game (I'm assuming on the GBA) would sell. And the funny thing is Sakupon was also mentioned in the fans comment but Sakurai only focused on Takamaru in his answer...

I'm NOT great at Japanese, so if anyone can translate and get things a little better than this, knock yourselves out.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Hey, I found something interesting on the old Melee site questionnaire in Japaneses.

A kid's (or fans') question

僕は受験生なのでスマブラDXが発売したにもかかわらず
ゲームキューブ買うことすら出来ません。
友達の家で3時間ほどやりました。
最初はネス使いました。やっぱりネスはいいです。
64の時からネスばっかり使ってます。
でも・・・マルスとかロイとか
剣使うキャラっていうのは僕にとって憧れの存在なんです。
剣っていいですよね?かっこいいですよね?
もし、自分の体より大きな大剣使うキャラがいたのなら
僕はまっさきにそれを使います。
たとえ動きが遅かろうとも一撃であいてをしとめるような
そんな武士道を極めつくしている。
そんなキャラがいたら面白いだろうなぁ。と思いました。
それはまさに覇王丸のような・・・

Sakurai's Response

比較的動きが鈍くて一撃が大きいキャラは
いるのですが、そういう武士道キャラの
存在意義もわかります・・・。

・・・鷹丸?(←『謎の村雨城』)
いや、あんな感じではなくて。

Basically from what I can get the guy is a fan of sword users (who used to like Ness?) and was asking about a character that can use a large sword bigger than their own body, but said that they will probably be slow because of that (technically asking for a character that is now Ike). And asked Sakurai if a character like that could be in Smash (I think). And Sakurai (I hope jokingly) mentions Takamaru (Literally said "...Takamaru? From Nazo No Murasame Jou") in his answer and then says that Takamru wouldn't really be like that. Obviously Sakurai knows about him and views him as playable material. Granted this was right after Melee and now that people are ASKING for him too? Yeah I'm saying he probably will be in this one.

Fan
謎の村雨城の鷹丸はでないんすかね。 でないと言われればいさぎよくあきらめるけど。
開発がんばってくださいね!応援してます!!

A fan asking about making him appear again to help his fanbase and support.

A response by Sakurai

アンソロジーに答えられる企画として、
たしかにスマブラは近道なのかもしれません。

「謎の村雨城」の新作が出るのと、
スマブラの新作に「鷹丸」が出演するのでは、
どっちが確率が高いのか・・・。

あ、どっちも低いですね。(しまった)

Here Sakurai says that Takamaru's appearance in a new Smash could depend on how well the re print/Re work of the game (I'm assuming on the GBA) would sell. And the funny thing is Sakupon was also mentioned in the fans comment but Sakurai only focused on Takamaru in his answer...

I'm NOT great at Japanese, so if anyone can translate and get things a little better than this, knock yourselves out.
SamuraiPanda, where are you >_<

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Neat find, Oldskool. It's certainly a good sign that Sakurai had Takamaru on his mind even back then. Let's just hope that Sakurai puts him on the roster! =)

tirkaro

Smash Champion
hmm the pic came off...

like this...

we need more takamaru fanarts

I mentioned Takamaru on my Brawl viewpoint on last week's show me your moves. Gotta rep one of my main hopefuls!
yeah, awesome job there. I was a bit worried you would neglect him, but you did a terrific job :)

which is exactly why I think takamaru is very likely to be a playable character. goro's disinclusion seemed like an obvious hint towards takamaru being playable. there's no excuse for him to be an assist trophy.

I really, really hope so, but takamaru honestly seems like hidden character material to me. But I dunno. it is sakurai after all:079:

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Sukapon>Takamaru.

Takamaru is just another sword user that we dont need more of.
as cool as sukapon is, by your logic, I suppose we dont need sukapon either, since there are plenty of fist/feet/head fighters in the game.

and what do people have against sword users anyway?:confused: its not like a sword is a holy weapon limited to only 1 or 2 people. a sword is a very common weapon in video games, just as common as "fist fighters" yet no one complains about them :mad:

Top Bottom