• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Takamaru in Brawl Thread! *ADDED MORE MATERIAL*

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Sukapon>Takamaru.

Takamaru is just another sword user that we dont need more of.
Thank goodness Sakurai doesn't agree with this... Hahah just joking, but I honestly don't think Sakupon is an interesting character to be playable. I mean he has the same things holding him back that Urban Champion got side stepped for. He doesn't have a variety of skills.
Also, I've been snooping around some Japanese fan sites, blogs, forums (just out of curiosity). And he IS a pretty high demand character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
as cool as sukapon is, by your logic, I suppose we dont need sukapon either, since there are plenty of fist/feet/head fighters in the game.

and what do people have against sword users anyway?:confused: its not like a sword is a holy weapon limited to only 1 or 2 people. a sword is a very common weapon in video games, just as common as "fist fighters" yet no one complains about them :mad:
Because their is nothing generic about Sukapon...unlike Takamaru...who looks like a generic anime samurai and no one has answered why he is not yet...

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Because their is nothing generic about Sukapon...unlike Takamaru...who looks like a generic anime samurai and no one has answered why he is not yet...
Actually he SCREAMS generic his design is basic, his means of attack is basic, lacks emotion, and if you come in here to debate a character's chances as appose to another, please leave, that's not the point of this thread in the least. And I'm guessing you have yet to play Takamaru's game and if so, you really are going to have a hard time arguing without facts from the game and just a half-baked assumption.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually he SCREAMS generic his design is basic, his means of attack is basic, lacks emotion, and if you come in here to debate a character's chances as appose to another, please leave, that's not the point of this thread in the least. And I'm guessing you have yet to play Takamaru's game and if so, you really are going to have a hard time arguing without facts from the game and just a half-baked assumption.
No I came in here to ask why Taka was different than a generic samurai and haven't received one answer yet

Psycho, 666 posts. :0

On a side note, We really wouldnt need another swordsman/ninja.

If anything, make it Naruto :0

Also.... Sukapon having no emotion? Excuse me?
Heh...666 I hadn't noticed that...now of course it's 667

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Okay. Lets just put the storylines staight.

Takamaru= Guy who beats the olden Japanese mythology characters and fuedal lords or whatever (Lame). He uses swords and magic. Oooh how creative.

Sukapon= The last robot from 2 scientiests. Hes a comedian. Hes a battle robot and the main character of the story. He stretches his limbs as his main fighting style.

Sukapon= Win.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Read the whole thread, but then again, it doesn't matter, he's meeting all of the requirements so far to be in Brawl and being "generic" which is your fact-less opinion is not one of them.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
theres something generic about every character. sukapon punches (most smashers do) kicks (like most smashers do) uses his head (mario, game and watch).
now, I know sukapon is somewhat deeper than that, but I'm just acting the way you are, y'know?

what differs takamaru from most sword users is quite clear: he is a samurai. Here, I would give a 5 page long essay on why samurai differ from the european swordsmen in brawl, but I'll just shorten it to this: typical samurai swordfighting relies on quick, yet accurate strikes. this is unlike metaknight's and pit's rapid-slash style, or link and ike's heavy-sword slicing. an unarmored samurai (which is what takamaru is) typically cant afford to be damaged, and have to use thier skills to dodge and block enemy attacks, unlike european swordfighters, who have armor protecting them. also, if you bothered to look at the long gameplay video on the front page, you can see that takamaru is also part ninja. He can throw shirukens, throw fireballs, turn invisible, etc. you really have to play the game to know what I'm talking about.

Takamaru= Guy who beats the olden Japanese mythology characters and fuedal lords or whatever (Lame). He uses swords and magic. Oooh how creative.

Sukapon= The last robot from 2 scientiests. Hes a comedian. Hes a battle robot and the main character of the story. He stretches his limbs as his main fighting style.

Sukapon= Win.
takamaru: The head of the stone idol, Murasame, springs to life, gave 4 villages leaders magicals orbs, and forced them to do his bidding. The village leaders led their people to strike against the shogunate, and install Murasame as leader of Japan. The shogunate, however, secretly sends Takamaru, a student who had just finished his trainings as a samurai, to infiltrate the rioting villages, reclaim the orbs, and destroy Murasame.

Though his mission was intended to be a secret, Takamaru's progress was being watched by Murasame. Fighting off the hypnotised villagers, the ninja, and the monsters that prowled the land around Murasame's castle, Takamaru was able to reclaim the four orbs from the village leaders. The samurai moved on to Murasame's castle and fought in an epic battle with the bodiless beast. With a mighty final blow with his sword, Takamaru killed Murasame, and the spell over the villages dispersed. The shogunate returned to their duties, and Takamaru continued with his training.

c'mon, lets not start a sukapon VS takamaru war here. were supposed to be friends ;A;

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman

Sukapon= Win.
Throwing limbs with every attack>Magic and samurai skills?

Whatever you say kid...

axemangx

Smash Champion
Reasons why he cant be in:

Japan Only (He can only have a chance if he hits VC, same for Suka)
A Swordsmen (Like we have enough)
Uses Lightning/Fire (Bowser does the fire, Pika has the lightning)
Game he was in seemed like a Legend of Zelda ripoff.. (That might not be a reason.)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
theres something generic about every character. sukapon punches (most smashers do) kicks (like most smashers do) uses his head (mario, game and watch).
now, I know sukapon is somewhat deeper than that, but I'm just acting the way you are, y'know?

what differs takamaru from most sword users is quite clear: he is a samurai. Here, I would give a 5 page long essay on why samurai differ from the european swordsmen in brawl, but I'll just shorten it to this: typical samurai swordfighting relies on quick, yet accurate strikes. this is unlike metaknight's and pit's rapid-slash style, or link and ike's heavy-sword slicing. an unarmored samurai (which is what takamaru is) typically cant afford to be damaged, and have to use thier skills to dodge and block enemy attacks, unlike european swordfighters, who have armor protecting them. also, if you bothered to look at the long gameplay video on the front page, you can see that takamaru is also part ninja. He can throw shirukens, throw fireballs, turn invisible, etc. you really have to play the game to know what I'm talking about.
Yeah I could write an essey one the difference between European and Japanese sword fighting too because I am both and I have learned about both...

I was asking what seperated Taka from other Samurai in games and animes

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Game he was in seemed like a Legend of Zelda ripoff.. (That might not be a reason.)
c'mon now, thats the stupidest reasoning I've seen yet. since when were those suddenly rules?

Dunno why, maybe Takamaru doesnt fit the epicness of the game for me.
diddy doesn't fit the epicness of the game for me, but I aint complaining XP

I was asking what seperated Taka from other Samurai in games and animes
if you already know typical samurai who use ninja abilites, shoot fireballs, etc, then not much really. but smash doesn't have one yet. so why not?

axemangx

Smash Champion
I recall Sakurai saying every character would be unique to themselves... or that might just be me.

Sukapon/Takamaru/G&W are the only retro's I want I guess, because 3 is enough for me. IC was only good if you were really experienced with them, and you had to learn almost EVERYTHING to be good with them..

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman

The first reason is a mis interpretation of what Sakurai said (and I doubt he was even serious when he said that) or be eager to include Japanese only characters MORE than ONCE on the suggestions AND POST THEM. And if Lucas appears in this game like Starmen.net says (which I believe) he WILL say hi to you.

The rest of your reasons are terrible, and are giving logic a torturous beat down.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Oh over in Japan Takamaru is part of the "disk system group" which is Link, Samus, Pit and him...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Samurai, whatever. Swordsmen still use swords. Rah rah rah. Rambling about junk...
Therefore they must use nothing except their swords, they have no other talents or tools to use to fight. Even if they HAVE other talents and tools, it only makes sense not to use them in Smash, right?

Apologize to Takamaru.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Therefore they must use nothing except their swords, they have no other talents or tools to use to fight. Even if they HAVE other talents and tools, it only makes sense not to use them in Smash, right?

Apologize to Takamaru.
I think the only definition of the word swordsman is a person who uses a sword...

Hong

The Strongest
You are extremely uncultured and have no idea what you're talking about if you think Takamaru will be remotely close to any swordsman, especially with the deconfirmation of Samurai Goroh and hopeful removal of the elegant Marth. (This is coming from a Fire Emblem veteran, mind you.) There are 7 completely different global schools of sword play that could apply to any sword, and then of course different styles for specific weapons like Pit's dual short swords.

This is further elaborated upon when you consider this is a fantasy setting. Characters like Pit and Meta Knight are aerialist, so they can do the unimaginable. With magic, different falling speeds, double jumping and other abnormal attributes, you can further deviate sword styles from each other.

Bushido is radically different from any sword play we've seen in Smash Brothers period. It's not only a form of swordplay, but a warrior's code of honour. That and Takamaru's magical abilities would be amazing, and I'd love to see him meteor smash with those geta. xD

I'm not saying I'd want half the cast to be weapon wielders then the other half to be fist fighters, just saying something as wonderful as swordplay is a viable choice for any character.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You are extremely uncultured and have no idea what you're talking about if you think Takamaru will be remotely close to any swordsman, especially with the deconfirmation of Samurai Goroh and hopeful removal of the elegant Marth. (This is coming from a Fire Emblem veteran, mind you.) There are 7 completely different global schools of sword play that could apply to any sword, and then of course different styles for specific weapons like Pit's dual short swords.

This is further elaborated upon when you consider this is a fantasy setting. Characters like Pit and Meta Knight are aerialist, so they can do the unimaginable. With magic, different falling speeds, double jumping and other abnormal attributes, you can further deviate sword styles from each other.

Bushido is radically different from any sword play we've seen in Smash Brothers period. It's not only a form of swordplay, but a warrior's code of honour. That and Takamaru's magical abilities would be amazing, and I'd love to see him meteor smash with those geta. xD

I'm not saying I'd want half the cast to be weapon wielders then the other half to be fist fighters, just saying something as wonderful as swordplay is a viable choice for any character.
I was just saying thats the definition of the word...

Hong

The Strongest
I was just saying thats the definition of the word...
That had nothing to do with your post specifically, just the jumble of post from this page and past pages that I wasn't able to respond to except for now.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Samurai, whatever. Swordsmen still use swords. Rah rah rah. Rambling about junk...
Marth = Rapier styled fighting (eurpean flavor)

Ike = Sword (medieval flavor)

Takamru = Samurai Arts and tools, Katana, projectiles (Bushido, Kenjutsu)

I dont see any similarities with them

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Marth = Rapier styled fighting (eurpean flavor)

Ike = Sword (medieval flavor)

Takamru = Samurai Arts and tools, Katana, projectiles (Bushido, Kenjutsu)

I dont see any similarities with them
Well...the sword part

drewdizzal

Smash Apprentice
im glad this topic got picked up. TAKA FOR BRAWL BABY! lol at oasis that is a great pic. seriously, way cant both sukapon and taka be in it? their both unique and awesome (sukapon more unique, taka more awesome :)) and excluding either would be a travesty.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
All this Takamaru art is getting me a little TOO excited! But I'm so glad that Taka support is growing. He WILL be in Brawl, I can just feel it.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I wonder why on that site they rated his chances low. The reasons they gave sucked too if I interpreted their explanation correctly. They said something about him being a Japan-Only (which REALLY in the end doesn't matter) and the fact that Pit- was covering the Famicom System Representation, which is lame because in EVERY OTHER Japanese character fan site says he should be in because Pit got in and to complete the disk system group I mentioned earlier.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I wonder why on that site they rated his chances low. The reasons they gave sucked too if I interpreted their explanation correctly. They said something about him being a Japan-Only (which REALLY in the end doesn't matter)
and the fact that Pit- was covering the Famicom System Representation, which is lame because in EVERY OTHER Japanese character fan site says he should be in because Pit got in and to complete the disk system group I mentioned earlier.
thier reasoning is also extremely contradictory, since they rated sukapon EXTREMELY high, and he's in the same position, if not a lower position, as takamaru. :093:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Not entirely. They stated that Skapon was actually supposed to be playable in Melee, but was removed due to issues with physics and managing Skapon's limbless appendages. Whether this is true or not is unbeknownst to me (although that does sound familiar...), but it justifies their high rating.

Top Bottom