• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Takamaru in Brawl Thread! *ADDED MORE MATERIAL*

parrothead

Smash Lord
I have problems with logging into that forum, and it wants me to create another password. Also, I wish I would post pictures in my sig and my posts, but it would take a lot of time for me to post a certain number of threads. When I created a topic about obscure Nintendo characters, people ignored it.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Woah, dude, Deathborne! You have my permission! :laugh:

I don't mind people posting my stuff so long as credit is given where it's due. I work for Super Smash Stadium, and that crapass site, Smash Brothers Online, used to ALWAYS steal our stuff uncredited. That bugs me. But as long as you give me credit, I don't need to know ;)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
In that case, I'll be sure to get that up there soon. But I'll probably post it in one of the classic Nintendo characters support threads, as the individual character threads for the more obscure characters sink faster in the Nsider forums than a guy with cement shoes to the bottom of the Hudson (compliments of the Gotti family).

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
In that case, I'll be sure to get that up there soon. But I'll probably post it in one of the classic Nintendo characters support threads, as the individual character threads for the more obscure characters sink faster in the Nsider forums than a guy with cement shoes to the bottom of the Hudson (compliments of the Gotti family).
XD

It's like Gamefaqs... only sponsored.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord

Here he is, in all his glory! I know the profile isn't dead-on like Takamaru, but I have a lot of trouble doing serious anime style I'll have you know. I'm a cartoonist, not a manga artist :laugh:

But I outlined this one to give it a much, much cleaner look. I did go back and outline the other two I made, and when I get a shot, I'll do some other characters.

BTW, the icon for Takamaru I wasn't sure on. A Shogun's castle, or a fortune cat (maneki neko)? Both are featured pretty prominently in the game, but I want you guys to be the judge. ;)

EDIT: And before anyone asks, he's sneaking up on Pikachu taking a leak in the corner. That's what that is :laugh:

GenG

Smash Lord
Swordstand? Yoshimitsu will sue Takamaru any day...
The moveset seems pretty OK for me.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Well I didn't want him having a generic "sword uppercut" or "sword spin" attack. That was the coolest sounding thing I could think of :p

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
How about this for a ^B: "Rising Sun" -- similar to Link's sword-spin except Takamaru spins his katana vertically rather than horizontally, with his sword glowing with red energy. It would also travel significantly higher (he's a samurai, afterall...). The attack animation would actually resemble Japan's age old rising sun symbol.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
How about this for a ^B: "Rising Sun" -- similar to Link's sword-spin except Takamaru spins his katana vertically rather than horizontally, with his sword glowing with red energy. It would also travel significantly higher (he's a samurai, afterall...). The attack animation would actually resemble Japan's age old rising sun symbol.
That was the idea Swordstand evolved from, actually. It could work, totally. But... I'm a stickler for more uniqueness in characters, especially with Up B's. I'll add it nonetheless; Swordstand doesn't seem very popular :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Heh. I like the Yoshimitsu reference (pogo sword lol), but shouldn't Takamaru behave more like Mitsurugi? The chacrter is cool, and probaly the best you've suggested so far.

I also heard somewhere that samurais and ninjas are banned in some countries, which may explain why his game hasn't been released elsewhere yet.

BTW, Fliptroopa, your sketches are amazing. Is there any chance of hiring you at any point?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Heh. I like the Yoshimitsu reference (pogo sword lol), but shouldn't Takamaru behave more like Mitsurugi? The chacrter is cool, and probaly the best you've suggested so far.

I also heard somewhere that samurais and ninjas are banned in some countries, which may explain why his game hasn't been released elsewhere yet.

BTW, Fliptroopa, your sketches are amazing. Is there any chance of hiring you at any point?
Amazing? I thought I sucked >.>;; I was gonna be a cartoonist, and the **** high school fine arts program was all "lol, you can't make it if you can't do everything" and so I gave up. But thanks for the compliments dude, and yeah... I'm available ;p

And when I pictured Takamaru, I pictured something more along the lines of... anyone play the Ninja Turtles fighting game? TMNT Tournament Fighter? Leonardo. I pictured Takamaru playing sorta like that, but with a dash/jump more akin to Marth's. If that makes sense to anybody :laugh:

And yes, Ninjas at least are considered too violent in some countries. Actually, to go back to TMNT, they're called the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles in the UK, because Ninjas=violence. Not sure about nowadays. Samurai I think are fine, because it's not much different than saying "Knight" or "Warrior," you know? Ninja actually were hardcore and slaughtered people. Not exactly a positive image. I'm not gonna get political about WHY they did it, just saying it was pretty awful what they did.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I remember seeing repeats of "Hero Turtles" from when I was a kid. Raphael's nunchuks were replaced by a ball and chain :(.

And yeah, a style like Leonardo would be cool, but then again I'm not too worried about sword-styles or whatever, since Brawl is meant to be fun rather than realistic, and that's why I would like to see this guy, if possible.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
And yes, Ninjas at least are considered too violent in some countries. Actually, to go back to TMNT, they're called the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles in the UK, because Ninjas=violence. Not sure about nowadays. Samurai I think are fine, because it's not much different than saying "Knight" or "Warrior," you know? Ninja actually were hardcore and slaughtered people. Not exactly a positive image. I'm not gonna get political about WHY they did it, just saying it was pretty awful what they did.
nah, I belive that UK doesn't do it anymore, seeing as they show naruto on jetix in the uk (jetix got it more edited than us, HAHA!) but they still call them ninjas.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
And when I pictured Takamaru, I pictured something more along the lines of... anyone play the Ninja Turtles fighting game? TMNT Tournament Fighter? Leonardo. I pictured Takamaru playing sorta like that, but with a dash/jump more akin to Marth's. If that makes sense to anybody :laugh:
Actually, I have ROM of the Genesis game on my computer. It's one of the two genesis ROMS I have (the other one is Earthworm Jim). So, yeah, I could see Takamaru like a nimble Leonardo of sorts.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yeah, I remember seeing repeats of "Hero Turtles" from when I was a kid. Raphael's nunchuks were replaced by a ball and chain :(.

And yeah, a style like Leonardo would be cool, but then again I'm not too worried about sword-styles or whatever, since Brawl is meant to be fun rather than realistic, and that's why I would like to see this guy, if possible.
Do you mean Mike? I remember towards the end of the cartoon, Mike (with the nunchuks) loses them for a weird grappling hook. But that was in the US as well, not just the UK, and only for like... the last season :p

D

Deleted member

Sorry. Yeah, Mike. I said it was a long time since I watched that show.

Anyways, nice moveset, and I hope we can see him again, if not immediately in Brawl, then certainly in a new game.

I might also need your 'graphical assistance' soon too...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sorry. Yeah, Mike. I said it was a long time since I watched that show.

Anyways, nice moveset, and I hope we can see him again, if not immediately in Brawl, then certainly in a new game.

I might also need your 'graphical assistance' soon too...
Just get in touch with me when you do :)

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
The invisibility super TEH SUCKS. It's not worth getting at all. FIX IT!

Especially if it posseses no bonus to strength or agility.

All it does is make it harder to tell what frame Takamaru's on for timing attacks.

And becomes even MORE useless if you play with name tags.

FIX IT!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The invisibility super TEH SUCKS. It's not worth getting at all. FIX IT!

Especially if it posseses no bonus to strength or agility.

All it does is make it harder to tell what frame Takamaru's on for timing attacks.

And becomes even MORE useless if you play with name tags.

FIX IT!
Leave it to somebody else to do my logical thinking for me! >.<;;

LOL, I WILL NOW GO FIX IT...

EDIT:
Added agility and attack speed bonus, as well as the removal of any markers. Also, stressed that he still has a shadow, and that his sword is still *technically* visible.

icymatt

Smash Lord
After viewing the video, we have a clear winner for stage theme and victory theme! Hurraze!

Oh, yeah, Takamaru is one of the rockest sock rockers that ever rocked socks.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
After viewing the video, we have a clear winner for stage theme and victory theme! Hurraze!

Oh, yeah, Takamaru is one of the rockest sock rockers that ever rocked socks.
Toldja seeing his game in action would make you want him more than a glass of chuck norris piss :laugh:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I don't think I'd be wabting any piss, even if it was from Chuck Norris... :laugh:

Needless to say, Takamaru is teh sex! And to think he looked that cool in the 80's - just imagine how godly his redesign would be! :colorful:

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Here is a gameplay video of Nazo No Murasamejou/Mystery of Murasame Castle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ4NUa-vydI
wohohoo! after seeing that sexy gameplay, I want takamaru in brawl 10x more! heres hoping for sakurai to put him in brawl :)

oh and also his super move should obviously be blanking the screen and then a bunch of slashing marks appear on-screen. then the screen fades back and takamaru is just standing there, while the opponents are just laying down....in PAIN!

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Woah, it's like Takamaru new exactly where the enemies were and how they would attack before even they knew. He's like Kenshin, but even more godlike.

Takamaru seems like a good choice for Brawl, and even if he is Japanese only, I'd think international audiences would take a bad *** samurai very well.:chuckle:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Dude thats a really cool idea i was wondering how fast would his speed and attacks be compared to other characters?
Well, it depends. They could go the path of the fast samurai, like some of the stuff you'd see in anime, where he would be fairly quick and agile with short jumps and very rapid slashes, or, as I'd prefer, they could leave his stats at about average, and only make his attacks fast.

Personally, if they go with "lol let's make him Mugen or Kenshin because people like anime XD" route he becomes waaay too much like Marth, even if his blade works completely differently.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Samurai Champloo and Rurouni Kenshin are two of my most favorite shows EVER! :)

But yeah - FlipTroopa's approach w/ Takamaru is better I think because, as he indicated, basing him to much on anime would basically make him Marth 2.0 or Samurai Marth - take your pick. :p

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well, it depends. They could go the path of the fast samurai, like some of the stuff you'd see in anime, where he would be fairly quick and agile with short jumps and very rapid slashes, or, as I'd prefer, they could leave his stats at about average, and only make his attacks fast.

Personally, if they go with "lol let's make him Mugen or Kenshin because people like anime XD" route he becomes waaay too much like Marth, even if his blade works completely differently.
NEW LAPTOP! I can see your drawings now!!!!!!!:)

Samurai Champloo and Rurouni Kenshin are two of my most favorite shows EVER! :)
Rurouni Kenshin Manga > Rurouni Kenshin Anime

Ruroini Kenshin Movie > all other anime in existence :)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
NEW LAPTOP! I can see your drawings now!!!!!!!:)
Whorjay!!! :laugh:

I'm pretty sure I added stats on the first page too, guys. I put Takamaru as being a little above average in speed and high in power, but everything else pretty average. I think he'd be more like Link with speed on his side, and faster attacks. That... would be it, I guess. I can't see him jumping much better than Link either, to be honest.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Whorjay!!! :laugh:

I'm pretty sure I added stats on the first page too, guys. I put Takamaru as being a little above average in speed and high in power, but everything else pretty average. I think he'd be more like Link with speed on his side, and faster attacks. That... would be it, I guess. I can't see him jumping much better than Link either, to be honest.
*BUMP GET!*

True, but being a samurai he should atleast be able to wall jump...

woody72691

Smash Ace
i hope that captain falcon can use his gun that he keeps at his side and i want ganondorf to use that sword because that will be sweet

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
Okay. When I first came in here i was like: "Oh great another Japan-only thread. Time to see some Japan fanboys explain why this dumb character deserves to grace smash." But then I saw the sketch and realized that this guy would be a great entry for smash. I'm sure his samurai skills far surpass Samurai Goroh's. So he's got my vote.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Okay. When I first came in here i was like: "Oh great another Japan-only thread. Time to see some Japan fanboys explain why this dumb character deserves to grace smash." But then I saw the sketch and realized that this guy would be a great entry for smash. I'm sure his samurai skills far surpass Samurai Goroh's. So he's got my vote.
Did you watch the videos of him fighting in his own VG title?

Top Bottom