• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: The Mysterious Mr. L

theta64

Smash Cadet
I'LL DEFINITELY Be using the 3231 set for luigi. I cant play luigi the same way anymore without having the iceballs and the burial head. it actually fits my gameplay way better. So if that stays there on what on the list that would greatly be helpful. I think others have agreed to this. but yea just wanted to add my 2 cents :)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I agree that 3211 is the best. Ice Balls are just so amazing for starting combos. Super Jump Punch is completely indispensable. Even better with Ice Ball combos. Luigi Cyclone can be replaced with Mach Cyclone if you want better recovery, but the offensive utility of the default Cyclone is a little too good to pass up. His Missiles are pretty interchangeable. Luigi seems to be right in the middle when it comes to how much he benefited from Custom Moves.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Until we start seeing Luigi's taking custom tournaments it's probably too early to determine which build is the best one, though my personal favourite is also 3211.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
One thing with ice balls boss showed me is that if you shoot one (or more) over the ledge to cut-off a get-up option, if you get used to the timing of when they'll lose their invincibility, you can perfect pivot downsmash.

It cuts off all the get-up options and slowly too, so it really would eat up the invincibility. PP is super hard to do but it definitely works if you can do it.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
One thing with ice balls boss showed me is that if you shoot one (or more) over the ledge to cut-off a get-up option, if you get used to the timing of when they'll lose their invincibility, you can perfect pivot downsmash.

It cuts off all the get-up options and slowly too, so it really would eat up the invincibility. PP is super hard to do but it definitely works if you can do it.
That's a really good idea! I've been using Iceballs to cover get up options but combining it with dsmash seems really cool.

As for PP I'm in a strange predicament because I only have a 2DS to practice on and I can PP on 2DS with close to 100% success rate, but since I haven't developed the muscle memory with a gamecube controller my ability to PP kind of evaporates.

ZestE

Smash Cadet
3211 and 3311 are my favorites. I juggle between regular fireballs and iceballs depending on the matchup, but damn iceballs cover opponents getup options so well and they can throw in some cool approach cover options.

Not to mention the style points you get when you iceball -> iceball-> whatever, that combo's too fun.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
As for PP I'm in a strange predicament because I only have a 2DS to practice on and I can PP on 2DS with close to 100% success rate, but since I haven't developed the muscle memory with a gamecube controller my ability to PP kind of evaporates.
Have you had any issues with your analog stick? I stopped trying to Perfect pivot when I realized I was slowly breaking it. Maybe I was just too aggressive? I assumed it was impossible to consistently perfect pivot on the 2DS/3DS version.

Anyway, I agree that Iceballs are so much better than default that it's ridiculous. And the default fireballs are already extremely useful, but they're just outclassed. Iceballs have lower damage, but the lingering hitbox allows for better stage control and you'll end up getting higher damage output when you consider the followups to freezing. (You can get them damn near to freezing percents with a single d-throw combos. Iceball>grab>pummel x 2>d-throw>fair>nair gets them for 37%, and Iceball starts freezing around the mid-40s.) There aren't many followups to default, outside of a grab. Iceball has guaranteed follow-ups and makes Luigi even more dangerous. So B-3 is the only indispensable custom move. It should be run in almost every set, I think. I think we should have some sets with the bouncing fireball because it isn't flat-out outclassed, as it allows for a different kind of stage control. It's not as good of a move, but it's also pretty different, whereas Iceballs come out looking like a straight upgrade to the default.

Mach Cyclone is just inferior to the default. The default cyclone is one of the best down-Bs in the game and the customs just don't compare. Still a good move, but not the incredible move that the default is. We shouldn't have more than a single set with it, if that.

I don't like the Missile customs, although floating missile might be objectively better. There's barely a downside to outweigh the benefits. Personally, I just prefer the default. Probably because I'm so used to it. I hate quick missile. It's actually not that great or safe for recovery, seeing as there is the danger of getting stuck in the stage. It's just not as good as the other two.

Burial Header is good, very good when used effectively, but Luigi loses an incredible punish option and ridiculous KO move. Still, it could have some potential that I'm not seeing.

Edit: Ok, Burial Header is even better than I thought. Been testing out Luigi's customs a lot and I think 3X31 is a critical set for sure. It gives Luigi another great combo-starter. (I still find the default to be the best, but I mostly play against bad players who practically walk into the sweetspot.) Does anyone know if it's as good for recovery? Like, does it go as high or sweetspot the ledge as easily? I can't really tell.

I'm not sure if this has all been finalized but this would be my list:
Critical:
Niche:

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Custom tier list imo:

Top tier:

Iceballs

High Tier:

Quick missile

Mid tier:

Bouncing fireball
Floating missile

Low tier:

Mach Cyclone

Bottom tier:

Super Jump Punch
Clothesline Cyclone

Untapped tier: [pretty much could be anywhere on the tier list]

Burial header [I think there's some profit in using it to set up up tilted f smashes!...just haven't found it yet is all.

Last edited:

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Why players like Boss and Mr. Con Con are using 1111? Isn't the side B 2 the best?

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Why players like Boss and Mr. Con Con are using 1111? Isn't the side B 2 the best?
Boss runs 3111. Someone said earlier in the thread that he acknowledges that the missile customs might be better, but he's too used to the default. Besides, it isn't that much of an upgrade.

Last edited:

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Boss runs 3111. Someone said earlier in the thread that he acknowledges that the missile customs might be better, but he's too used to the default. Besides, it isn't that much of an upgrade.
Well, I still don't understand why not use the custom 2 for side B =P. The ice balls are great, False use this too, but I still prefer the default neutral B one.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Default fireballs are really great and I've come to believe that Iceballs are a sidegrade, not an upgrade. Sometimes you want to speed and the range to poke and harass your opponents instead of the stage control of Iceballs. I still prefer side-2, but I spoke with Poke (an exceptional Luigi main) a couple weeks ago and he likes the default missile best because he prefers how it varies in height compared to side-2, as well as the damage increase.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I haven't used Iceballs much because of the lack of customs in For Glory, which is where most of my experience comes from. But I can't say that they are a stright upgrade, as there are matchups where the default is better (e.g Mario).

It sort of depends on your playstyle, I guess.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Default fireballs are really great and I've come to believe that Iceballs are a sidegrade, not an upgrade. Sometimes you want to speed and the range to poke and harass your opponents instead of the stage control of Iceballs. I still prefer side-2, but I spoke with Poke (an exceptional Luigi main) a couple weeks ago and he likes the default missile best because he prefers how it varies in height compared to side-2, as well as the damage increase.

I might change my opinion on quick missile because it moves through the air faster, but I'd still prefer normal missile because the quick missile could cause you to overshoot and end up under the stage or just flat out die.. which can be unfavourable at times

https://youtu.be/BNHM9EdV0o4?t=509 - example

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I might change my opinion on quick missile because it moves through the air faster, but I'd still prefer normal missile because the quick missile could cause you to overshoot and end up under the stage or just flat out die.. which can be unfavourable at times

https://youtu.be/BNHM9EdV0o4?t=509 - example
I disagree with that example. That missle there either shouldn't have been used if intended, or was a misinput which is a player error. Plus every time you end up under the stage, you can just go to the other side of the stage and grab that ledge.

TriTails

Smash Lord
If this thread is still alive, I can definitely see Quick Missile being a straight upgrade from Green Missile. Moves much faster and farther. And nobody use missile to rack up damage.

X3XX

Fireballs are still gud, Iceball is kinda questionable. Can anyone tell me what followups you can get?

13XX

SJP is definitely superior. Burial Header, however, gives you extra jump height, improving recovery, and the bruying effect might be of use. Though, it's... kinda a little bit teleghraphed.

131X

Luigi Cyclone. Case closed.

1311 is my favourite.

Though. If Iceballs and Burial Header found some potential... Maybe we can start using them. But I guess 1311 is gud enough already.

This set is already in EVO, duh.

Perhaps we can take off the 1211? Floating Missile is pretty bad due to it being straight in line and despite my earlier impressions, it actually makes Luigi easier to gimp.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Yo Luigi boards. Could be my first time posting here but I have some information in regards to Luigi's Ice Ball custom special. I recently typed up a lengthy post in the Shulk board's move-set analysis thread, & I researched the percentages of when Ice Ball starts to induce the frozen / ice effect on Shulk & his Shield arts. Have some numbers:

Luigi using Ice Ball. Ice Ball deals ~4% at any distance.
Vanilla Shulk starts getting frozen by Ice Ball at 43%. When crouching, freezing starts at 66%.
Shield Shulk starts getting frozen by Ice Ball at 80%. When crouching, freezing starts at 109%.
Decisive Shield Shulk starts getting frozen at 99%. When crouching, freezing starts at 130%. (Lives at 999% with crouching. .)
Hyper Shield Shulk starts getting frozen at 121%. When crouching, freezing starts at 157%. (Lives at 999% without crouching. .)

Top Bottom