• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Fox

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
SideB is pretty much just personal preference, so I won't say much about that except that it is maybe a little easier for Mario to cape the default than side3. At the end of the day though, your sideB shouldn't be caped.

Against Mario, I use either 2132. A case can be made for n1 being better than 2 against a reflector of any kind, but personally I've never encountered the problem of reflected lasers hitting me, so I say stick with whichever laser you generally prefer. If they do start reflecting them and it becomes a hassle for you (most likely to occur with n3) switch to default. It's the best for just tacking on 2-3% at long range. DownB choice is easy enough: Even if Mario is zoning with fireballs, reflecting them is pointless. They won't hit him. Best way to deal with fireballs is just to go around/past them, which is easy enough since Fox is so bloody fast. And if you're not gonna be doing a whole lot of reflecting, down2's windbox is vastly better than the awful damage and KB of default shine. Finally, there's upB choice. Up3 is just all-around great. It's another kill move so woo.

Against RosaLuma I use 3131, no exceptions. If n3 hits Luma, Luma will usually die. This is awesomesauce of the highest order. I can't really think of a reason to use any other laser. Up3 kills the supah-floaty Rosa at some pretty unfair percents, but there is that dair to worry about. I don't think she's quite fast enough to consistently spike you while you charge up3, but if you run into that problem try up2 out. 99.999% of RosaLumas using customs use Shooting Star Bit. You can't really fight Rosa offstage, she's better at it than you are and has that dair to punish you if you mess up. These facts, taken together, mean down1 is good here and down2 is not.

Versus Pac-Man, I go 2132, or 2131. Really, this one is up to you: Laser choice is personal preference. SideB is personal preference. Up3 is recommended, because up1 is just worse and up2 is unnecessary. DownB is personal preference again: Windboxes destroy Pac-Man's recovery, you can just push him past the trampoline. That said, some players like to spam fruit and hydrant so having a strong reflector can help.

For Yoshi, I got nothing. I don't like using Fox against him, so I just don't. Not a lot of experience there. I'd say down2 and up3 are best, though. His projectiles aren't the kind you want to be reflecting, they'll never really hit him. And he's not the kind to go deep to punish a distant upB, what with his limited range of recovery options. So again, you don't really need up2.

Last edited:

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
SideB is pretty much just personal preference, so I won't say much about that except that it is maybe a little easier for Mario to cape the default than side3. At the end of the day though, your sideB shouldn't be caped.

Against Mario, I use either 2132. A case can be made for n1 being better than 2 against a reflector of any kind, but personally I've never encountered the problem of reflected lasers hitting me, so I say stick with whichever laser you generally prefer. If they do start reflecting them and it becomes a hassle for you (most likely to occur with n3) switch to default. It's the best for just tacking on 2-3% at long range. DownB choice is easy enough: Even if Mario is zoning with fireballs, reflecting them is pointless. They won't hit him. Best way to deal with fireballs is just to go around/past them, which is easy enough since Fox is so bloody fast. And if you're not gonna be doing a whole lot of reflecting, down2's windbox is vastly better than the awful damage and KB of default shine. Finally, there's upB choice. Up3 is just all-around great. It's another kill move so woo.

Against RosaLuma I use 3131, no exceptions. If n3 hits Luma, Luma will usually die. This is awesomesauce of the highest order. I can't really think of a reason to use any other laser. Up3 kills the supah-floaty Rosa at some pretty unfair percents, but there is that dair to worry about. I don't think she's quite fast enough to consistently spike you while you charge up3, but if you run into that problem try up2 out. 99.999% of RosaLumas using customs use Shooting Star Bit. You can't really fight Rosa offstage, she's better at it than you are and has that dair to punish you if you mess up. These facts, taken together, mean down1 is good here and down2 is not.

Versus Pac-Man, I go 2132, or 2131. Really, this one is up to you: Laser choice is personal preference. SideB is personal preference. Up3 is recommended, because up1 is just worse and up2 is unnecessary. DownB is personal preference again: Windboxes destroy Pac-Man's recovery, you can just push him past the trampoline. That said, some players like to spam fruit and hydrant so having a strong reflector can help.

For Yoshi, I got nothing. I don't like using Fox against him, so I just don't. Not a lot of experience there. I'd say down2 and up3 are best, though. His projectiles aren't the kind you want to be reflecting, they'll never really hit him. And he's not the kind to go deep to punish a distant upB, what with his limited range of recovery options. So again, you don't really need up2.
Thanks for the info. Looks like it's up to experimentation to figure out how to go against Yoshi. I played around with some sets and found up3 to be a beautiful out-of-shield option that can kill at like 90+ %. I only use up3 now.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Well, I like up2 against Sheik, Captain Falcon and Palutena. They can drop down and kill you while you're charging up3, and are fast enough to cross the entire stage first if needs be. The fun thing about customs is that you can switch all you want, no need to only use one set.

Coffee™

I need it....
Does anyone know what frame the hitbox of the flames comes out around Fox for Up3?

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I main Pac-man as well as Fox. I've NEVER had a problem getting gimped from windboxes. Pac-man has two good recovery options in side-b and up-b, so he's very hard to gimp. A decent Pac-man will never get gimped by Fox's windbox.

I'd actually recommend amplifying reflector for that matchup. For Pac-man, apple will kill at about 140% and key 115% on average(don't know about Fox specifically). Those are critical kill options in Pac-man's arsenal, but it becomes a scary proposition if they get reflected. They will likely kill Pac-man quite early. The hydrant also becomes very scary to use, since Pac-man usually uses it above an opponent in the air and reflected it could also kill early. A windbox is the last thing I'd be concerned about vs Pac-man.

I've been trying out 2131 with Fox lately and love it. Go up in the air for a uair, read the airdodge, up b for an early kill. It's a ridiculous custom. So much so, I may use Fox primarily for the time being. Our local scene's tournaments use mostly customs.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Amplifying reflector has a lot of startup, so generally it just does nothing at all.
Pac-man gets gimped by the windbox when he needs to land on the trampoline twice. You just blow him past it.
That said, default reflector is obviously great against fruit and the hydrant, and I think I would lean towards it more as of late. The key gets more and more annoying every time I play a Pac-man.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
Amplifying reflector has a lot of startup, so generally it just does nothing at all.
Pac-man gets gimped by the windbox when he needs to land on the trampoline twice. You just blow him past it.
That said, default reflector is obviously great against fruit and the hydrant, and I think I would lean towards it more as of late. The key gets more and more annoying every time I play a Pac-man.
I would suggest the default reflector then. If a windbox pushes Pac-man during trampoline recovery, he can angle himself back to the trampoline. Sure, there may be a spot where it'll work, but are you going to take Fox off-stage to fish for it? I think default reflector has far more utility.

MarkMadness

Smash Rookie
I get that this is an old post and everything but as a fox main I feel as though my opinion should be heard even though probably almost no one is going to read this. First of all 2131 and 1131 should most definitely be allowed in tournaments. I have pretty much unlocked the potential of what the twisting fox custom can do and it would be such a waste to ignore it in tournaments. As for the impact blaster or falco's blaster I don't find that over powered or anything and i don't see a really good use for it except for maybe stealing someones jump when their off the edge. Im also curious as to a good MU for Luigi if anyone want to lmn real quick.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
2131 and 1131 are on the moveset list. Pretty much everyone is in agreement about Twisting Fox being fantastic. Impact Blaster is good for jab locks, stealing jumps, breaking projectiles against zoners, and (most usefully) safely poking at long range. Default blaster does pretty good damage, but your opponent can literally just run through it to punish you at anything less than extreme range. Whereas Impact Blaster has hitstun and does more damage per hit, so it'll take them that bit longer and you don't need to shoot as much.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Heh,I remember the days where few supported twisting fox. :4fox::chuckle:
Good to see people using it much more often and supporting it.

MarkMadness

Smash Rookie
2131 and 1131 are on the moveset list. Pretty much everyone is in agreement about Twisting Fox being fantastic. Impact Blaster is good for jab locks, stealing jumps, breaking projectiles against zoners, and (most usefully) safely poking at long range. Default blaster does pretty good damage, but your opponent can literally just run through it to punish you at anything less than extreme range. Whereas Impact Blaster has hitstun and does more damage per hit, so it'll take them that bit longer and you don't need to shoot as much.
I was tryna make it sound less op lol

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
No activity here in a while...

Twister Fox is life.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
No activity here in a while...

Twister Fox is life.
I'm not mistaken in that your banner is the aparoids...right?

On the topic of barrel roll UpB Twisting Fox, has it been noted that aiming the move directly down into the ledge, catching someone in it and sweetspotting the ledge results in a weak-ish spike? Nothing huge, but you can use it to punish people who recover high.

Also I pretty much only use 1131 now. I actually like default lasers the most. :/

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'm not mistaken in that your banner is the aparoids...right?

On the topic of barrel roll UpB Twisting Fox, has it been noted that aiming the move directly down into the ledge, catching someone in it and sweetspotting the ledge results in a weak-ish spike? Nothing huge, but you can use it to punish people who recover high.

Also I pretty much only use 1131 now. I actually like default lasers the most. :/
It is indeed. ^^ And with Saki from S&P riding on top of an Arwing from Assault. Basically my two loves in on pic...:estatic:
Forgot who the artist was....

Not sure...maybe I should test that...

For customs: Mine 1313 iirc.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm going to go ahead and unsticky this. The most significant purpose of this project was having movesets ready for EVO; now that its over, this isn't really needed right now. I won't lock it or delete it, so if there's a resurgence in custom moves, we can revive the thread.

NintendoSebastian

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but Wolf Flash can combo out of Down Throw, hitting with the spiking end of the move at low percents. I killed Mario at 45% with D-throw, Side-B, Up-B (Twisting Fox) in training mode. I threw him off the edge, immediately Wolf-Flashed and spiked, and the Twisting Fox caught his recovery, stage spiking him. When it didn't stage-spike (I missed hitting the right part of the stage), It took Mario up to 72%. That's a 27% damage combo that I found by trying to recover after spiking Mario. A little after 45%, the Wolf Flash hits Mario up instead of down.

EDIT: I just did some more testing. 75% or later, D-throw>shorthop>Wolf Flash spikes strongly enough to put Mario below the screen. He double-jumped and couldn't make it to the bottom of Omega Captain Falcon's stage in the 3DS version.with his default up-B. This combo seems like it will kill most characters who aren't equipped to recover vertically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom