• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Fox

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Okaaaaaay I don't get a lot of these. It seems you followed a more formulaic route, rather than choosing the moves to complement each other? Rather than debating it I'm going to ask for explanations of the roles of the sets.

Here is my own list of six sets we should include as the "core", with the rest being the ones we argue over, basically. I think these are pretty important, either to cover an important weakness for some MUs, or to include specific moves. I want some feedback before I try any more, so I'm not doing a full ten.
2132: All purpose, the most generally useful set I feel. B2 is all-around good, side1 does everything you need it to, up3 is probably my favourite move in the game (even more so now that I can use it effectively), it provides a great kill option and it generally cool, and down2 is better than down1 if they won't be shooting you much.

2332: I'm still pushing Wolf Flash. I use Illusion myself, but it is a good move and deserves at least a variation on the primary set. Especially now that we have ten slots to fill.

33X2: Edgeguard. I stand by this set. It allows Fox to do something he otherwise has great trouble with. I leave the upB at X because while I feel up2 should be used to reduce the risk of jumping offstage, up3 is looking to become a pretty key part of Fox's game.

2131: Projectile set. B2 can be used to cancel enemy shots, down1 is better than down2 in this kind of matchup because it has a good multiplier, up3 still kills people, side1 is general preference.

3132: Charge Blaster woot. Basically, this is the All-Purpose set for those who like Charge Blaster. It doesn't really do anythhing special, but your laser choice is important, since you need to play a bit differently depending on which one you have. So I think this set is necessary.

2122: Enjoy getting stagespiked while charging upB? Then this set is not for you. I think Flying Fox needs at least one set, and I think this is the best one for it. Not much else to it tbh.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
When making the sets I looked more into the usefulness and popularity of each move.

*All blasted are good and have their uses, some matchup, some preference
*Side B 1 and 3 r both good. 3 is like u said better in terms of edge guarding (and I guess it's just me, but I find it hard to find a use in side 1), while 1 is the most popular one, though like I said, I fail to see why personally..
*Up B. All three are great, but honestly most always want to go for either recovery and speed, or damage and kill power. 1 is a compromise, but I and it looks like many find it hard to see a matchup where you'd want up1.
*Down b it's either 1 or 2. 2 is better for those with no projectile/ one not worth reflecting, while 1 is for those with a projectile worthy of reflecting. Down b is strictly matchup based.

From there it was basically mixing and matching and removing sets with moves that don't complement each other very well. It was usually "does this blaster match this up b OR does this side b work well with this up b".
That is how I arrived at those ten. That, and reading what sets others seem to propose, why, and how popular they seem to be . Of corse I'll admit that I do hold a lot of bias for 133X. Sets and that's a reason why they're up there (shame on me :-P ) but that's only because the set works out for me, and I've had some tournament success with it.

I understand that a few sentences on utility of each set are what u demand, thoughI don't have the time right now to type up full explanations for all 10, but I hope this helps explain how I got these 10, and I'll hopefully b able to make descriptions later..

elmike

Smash Apprentice
I think we should take a different approach for this. Instead of just saying top 10 sets, why not saying top set based on needs?

1.- Best set versus each of the most difficults MU
2.- Best set versus each of "top tier" characters.

For example, do you prefer UPB3 rather than UPB2 versus a Sheik that is at least as good player as you?

So far nobody has said that is having good results versus better players with upb3....

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Honestly up b 3 is actually one of the few reasons I've been able to take a game from some players who wre clearly better than me(ex. Schmerpin. His Peach easily beats my fox, but I was able to get a game off him in a set due to him not being familiar with Twisting fox, especially out of shield. He still won the set after learning to respect the up bs kill power more)
Against players at my level it's still something I personally find to be indespencible, as I have trouble killing with fox outside of that move. (Smash attacks and up airs though I do pull off sometimes effectively)
@ elmike elmike
Granted I'm quoting myself, but here's my experience with up3 against players that were clearly better than me..

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
112X: You only really need upB2 if they'll be killing you while you charge/intercepting your upB a lot, but the characters that can do that are mostly pretty good at closing distance. The primary characters you want it against are C. Falcon and Sheik. Against those two, standing still and shooting is not a great plan.

212X: Throw down2 on this and you're good. You only need down1 against dedicated projectile zoners, and you don't really need up2 against them. Maybe Mega Man, but up3 still works against him and having a set for one character is really dumb.

312X: This is basically just the above set for people who like B3, totally fine.

1131: My set of choice vs. Villager. Might have some use against DHD, but reflecting his projectiles isn't actually all that good, since their janky movement patterns make them miss him a lot anyway.

2131: Nice for Mega Man, Samus, etc.

3131: The B3 version of the above.

1132: I still don't like B1, but this is a decent set. It works for more than two matchups, too, which is an improvement over 1131. If you really like B1, then this is probably your main set.

2132: Yep definitely round of applause time to thank the Academy etc. *APPROVED*

3132: See above

1332: I don't know what this is for. Why does the only side3 set have B1? I would argue against having only one set for it in the first place, but even if there is only one, wouldn't 33X2 be the better one to go with? It plays to the strengths of all the moves in it. Side3 is far better in this set than side1, and if you're going to give it just a single set, you might as well make it the one that makes up for a significant flaw in Fox's game. Especially since it is something only side3 can do.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else noticed that at certain percents, Side 3 combos/frametraps from dthrow? Sometimes training mode says combo, sometimes it doesn't, so I wanna make sure this is a thing. Because I've been getting some fun stuff out of that, even getting the spike sweetspot off-stage. #Flash

(I've also been able to use it as a followup after dair at really high percents, but usually I get a kill before that set up is even useful)

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
112X: You only really need upB2 if they'll be killing you while you charge/intercepting your upB a lot, but the characters that can do that are mostly pretty good at closing distance. The primary characters you want it against are C. Falcon and Sheik. Against those two, standing still and shooting is not a great plan.

212X: Throw down2 on this and you're good. You only need down1 against dedicated projectile zoners, and you don't really need up2 against them. Maybe Mega Man, but up3 still works against him and having a set for one character is really dumb.

312X: This is basically just the above set for people who like B3, totally fine.

1131: My set of choice vs. Villager. Might have some use against DHD, but reflecting his projectiles isn't actually all that good, since their janky movement patterns make them miss him a lot anyway.

2131: Nice for Mega Man, Samus, etc.

3131: The B3 version of the above.

1132: I still don't like B1, but this is a decent set. It works for more than two matchups, too, which is an improvement over 1131. If you really like B1, then this is probably your main set.

2132: Yep definitely round of applause time to thank the Academy etc. *APPROVED*

3132: See above

1332: I don't know what this is for. Why does the only side3 set have B1? I would argue against having only one set for it in the first place, but even if there is only one, wouldn't 33X2 be the better one to go with? It plays to the strengths of all the moves in it. Side3 is far better in this set than side1, and if you're going to give it just a single set, you might as well make it the one that makes up for a significant flaw in Fox's game. Especially since it is something only side3 can do.
So u basically approve all of them except 1332?
Like I said, it's a set I personally have a lot of success with, so its a kinda biased choice. I also am willing to have more side 3 sets, just I don't know what to give up for them. (112X for 2332 perhaps? 1132 for 3332?)
I plan to upload some videos of 1332 against different characters soon btw..

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
3332 is my favorite, personally. I feel like B3 just best suits my playstyle, and I love getting Up-B kills. I've been working on using it to intercept recoveries, sometimes as a suicide kill. Very satisfying.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I approve of all of them except 1121, 1131, and 1332. 1121 would be fine, except for the fact that B1 is worst laser to use in the matchups you need up2 for. 1131 is okay, but it is outclassed by 1132 in every matchup bar two, and 1132 works fine for those two as well. If we have a slot we don't know how to fill, throw it in, but as is there are a good few other sets which offer more and thus should take precedence.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I approve of all of them except 1121, 1131, and 1332. 1121 would be fine, except for the fact that B1 is worst laser to use in the matchups you need up2 for. 1131 is okay, but it is outclassed by 1132 in every matchup bar two, and 1132 works fine for those two as well. If we have a slot we don't know how to fill, throw it in, but as is there are a good few other sets which offer more and thus should take precedence.
So what are the sets that aren't there but u think should be there?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
3131 my personal preference since it gives more kill move options for Fox. Might start using the big reflector

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Been using this one recently:

I warmed up to "barrel roll" upB3, nice power makes it a nice finisher. Requires knowledge to use properly, but I think it's worth.

Still a bit conflicted over which sideb would be better: on the one hand, you can combo from F-throw / F-tilt to Wolf Flash meteor at some percents. On the other, the distance you can travel with side1 and small landing lag is also sweet for recovery and onstage escapes (sh -> side-B).

Last edited:

elmike

Smash Apprentice
@ elmike elmike
Granted I'm quoting myself, but here's my experience with up3 against players that were clearly better than me..
yes but you mentioned it was only the first time because he was not familiarized with the move. After that, the effect was not the same.

I think that if only versus sheik is worth having upb2, then at least 1 set with that is a must, given the importance of that MU.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Sheik is just the example I used. Up2 is important for C. Falcon, Ganondorf, Puff etc. Any character who can consistently get you offtage, then hit you while you're charging and have you die as a result. For some of these MUs, a case can easily be made for up3 (e.g. DK: He can spike like there's no tomorrow, but up3 is good against him too since killing him before he can use his rage is vital), but still, it's a lot more characters than just Sheik.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I personally haven't has trouble with the sheik vs. fox w. Up3 matchup. Side3 does become a must however, but up 3 is still viable in the matchup. One has to learn to tech consistently if they do plan to use up3 against sheik, as Bair edge guards while Ur spinning up can be annoying..
As for other characters, I personally find Charizard and Jigglypuff to be pretty annoying when running up 3. I fought a very skilled charizard once who figured out up 3 quickly and started rock smashing into me while I was spinning up..
Jigglypuff is a character I end up facing a lot as I have to mains that main her. it ca honestly go either way. A good jiggs will know when yo respect up3 and when to hit u without getting trapped. A jiggs inexperienced with the move will either respect it too much, or won't at all and will end up dieing from getting caught up in the spin..
Against these and some that u mentioned above (I can agree on falcon too), running either up2 or side3 becomes very useful, however I never find myself feeling that it's worth giving up the kill power of up3 just so I can get back to the stage more safely, especially when I run side3 at all times..

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
But do you agree that we should have a set for it? Because that is the question here. It doesn't matter that you like to use up3 more, even in those matchups. It should still have a set or two because those are important MUs and it is very useful in them.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
But do you agree that we should have a set for it? Because that is the question here. It doesn't matter that you like to use up3 more, even in those matchups. It should still have a set or two because those are important MUs and it is very useful in them.
I do agree that there should be up2 sets, around 2-3. (2122, 3122?)

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What's the hype with the charging Blaster, B3? Maybe I'm not getting it, but I don't see the appeal with it. Losing our way of forcing approaches (B1 and B2 do this well) just to get a powerful but telegraphed projectile seems like a downside to me.

Anyways: I've gone ahead and experimented more with Customs. My opinions have changed. These are the two sets I've been using the most:

2122 - Our best set for most situations, imo. Neutral-2 is a projectile poke and forces approaches, also eats double jumps which works well in conjunction with down2's wind-box for edgeguarding. Side-1 and Up-2 give us everything we need in terms of recovery.

2332 - I posted a few days ago this set with Side-1 instead of -3, but I now believe that 3 is better in this set. The side-3 and Up-3 specials give Fox two additional KO moves and a spike move offstage.

These are the ones that I've been finding to be the most useful out of all the ones offered.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Fox:

1/2/3, 1/3, 2/3, 1/2

2122, 2132, 2322, 2332, 3132, 3332, 1132, 1332, 2131, 3131

This is kinda messy; Fox is one of those characters who easily overflows 10 sets with what people currently have to say about him. I tried to cover the high points of what everyone was pushing for in a compromising sort of way. If people would prefer different things, definitely let me know.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Fox:

1/2/3, 1/3, 2/3, 1/2

This is kinda messy; Fox is one of those characters who easily overflows 10 sets with what people currently have to say about him. I tried to cover the high points of what everyone was pushing for in a compromising sort of way. If people would prefer different things, definitely let me know.
I like 'em.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Looks mostly good to me too, but I still think up2 is better on the edgeguard set. It's not one I use too often anyway, so I don't really mind which upB we go with, but just putting that out there.

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
Big reflector is generally better. Default is perhaps better against projectile users, or maybe it is outclassed by the amplifier (I can't say, as mentioned before). The hitstun on default is very nearly almost useless. Not quite, but near enough. You can do a glitchy stagespike or two, but that's about the sum of it.
Up Special:"It's what we've always used!" isn't a reason imo. Default has four differences to Flying Fox: It deals damage, it takes much longer to start up, it is a little slower-moving, and it doesn't do that weird slide thing if you use it to move horizontally on-stage. If you are using it to hit people, use 3 instead. 3 can be used offensively because you can hurl yourself at the ground with it without too much risk (so long as you space it well). Everything else is a bonus (the slide can be cancelled into grab! Don't really get how it works though).
I fail to see the appeal of the Charge Blaster. The startup is faaaaar too long for it to be used as a combo finisher. Care to explain why you consider it to be so good?
Regarding Wolf Flash: One thing about that "better recovery" thing: to reach the ledge with it, you need to fall quite far. Far enough that upB does starts to look like the better option. Certainly, it is a bit better if you are off the screen to the bottom left/right, but how often does that really happen? It's not as good for horizontal recovery, and the upBs can go at almost any angle, meaning it just makes you worse in one way and better in another. The move is still excellent, however, so I do think it should definitely be included. It is not so much better than the default that it should be the only sideB used, however.

As a Robin (semi-)main myself, I had expected it to be good against him. He has good projectiles, but not the speed to avoid them. So boost them and... A channelled Thoron+ does 31%. A channelled Thoron+ reflected with a standard reflector does about 46%. A channelled Thoron+ reflected with the Amplifying Reflector does 65%. And Robin is far too slow to avoid these. I'm still not sold on it though, as Robin can just wait Fox out. Is the Reflector 3 fast enough to come out, from dash, before Robin's Arcfire hits? If so, lovely. If not, stick with default in that matchup.
Oh, and @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos : I think 1332 should be one of the supplementary sets. Default Blaster complements Up3 more, and Side3's extra verticality allows you to avoid needing to use it to recover as often. So you get a set with more kill power and less recovery ability. I think the final six should be:

With the Down1s switched out for Down3s should it prove to be better.
I'm sorry but as someone who's mained Fox since SSBB, the only thing I can agree with you on is the standard B. Even still, I think Fox's default B is better, it just isn't my playstyle. Best Fox, preference aside, is probably 1211

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Hello! That post is very old. Perhaps you would like to analyse one that is from a little later? My view on many moves has changed since then.
Also, you appear to have recommended Fox Burst. Mind explaining why? Most people hate it. A lot.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Fox:

1/2/3, 1/3, 2/3, 1/2

@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos
I'd say those r pretty good sets..
Honestly the only thing I see here worth debating over is the last two. Reflector 1, while usually outclassed by 2, is still arguably better in some of the following matchups:
*:4samus:Samus (Though if its dense charge shot or the slow missles than 2 might be better as u won't b bated to reflect it from as close as u would with 1)
*:4lucario:Lucario (Though just like with samus, is the piercing aura spere is used than 2 might b better)
*:4robinm::4robinf:Robin (Having a bigger reflector won't really help u 2 much with reflecting robins thunders. Kinda comes in handy with arc fire? Idk, I guess 2 could b good if fighting a speed thunder robin?)
Both reflectors have their uses in the following matchups: :4pacman:,:4link:,:4tlink:,:4miigun:,:4megaman:,:4rob:
(This is all from my experience, though the parts regarding custom move matchups is pure speculation on my part)

So I guess the question is what reflector 1 sets r the 2 most necessary. A laser2 one is probably gauranteed due to its popularity (2XX1. Probably would be 2131 or 2231. Its pretty debatable over which side b is more useful)
The other down1 set would b a laser1 or laser3 set, which is very debatable. It probably would boil down to 3331 vs 1331. Personally I would go with the 1331, but thats just my bias and having a higher success rate with blaster1.

TL;DR- The sets u proposed above r fine, except for the last two, which can debated over a bit I guess...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I went with 2131 and 3131 since it seems clear that side-1 and up-3 are the general purpose best (not so good as to make other options useless but will be the most popular choices) while n-2 vs n-3 is very preference and match-up based with n-1 being a lot more niche so if there's enough room for two default Reflector sets 2131 and 3131 seemed to make the most sense.

If you guys collectively believe this logic is faulty, let me know, but that was my thinking in those particular Fox sets.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Well, then I guess I approve of the ten sets. As long as 1332 and 2332 are there its all good to me :awesome:
Btw, I have a fox custom moves usage/combos/strings video in the works. Hopefully it would help fox mains unfamiliar with customs learn some tricks and such before EVO..

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
Looks mostly good to me too, but I still think up2 is better on the edgeguard set. It's not one I use too often anyway, so I don't really mind which upB we go with, but just putting that out there.
Which set is the edgeguard set? I see why up-2 would be better for that, but which other customs would be in it? Neutral-2, I'm guessing? Down-2?

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
The edgeguard set is 33X2. B3 forces jumps/airdodges, as being hit by it will gimp a lot of characters. Down2 is used for the wind box, for obvious reasons. Side3 is used because it is a spike and spikes are sort of really, really good at stopping dudes from recovering.

M@v

Subarashii!
I figured I'd paste this here too. This is from a convo I'm having with someone about fox's customs, and this is a writeup about fox's 3rd laser (the charge one)

"I'll start with the move properties. The charge blaster has a longer startup than the other lasers, but it fires a much more powerful projectile that moves moderately fast, does 10-11% damage per hit, and actually has decent knockback. The range on it is decent too; roughly 2/3rd the length of smashville i'd estimate. There's a catch though; you can greatly reduce the startup time of this laser by short hopping it. On the ground, Fox will grab the blaster from his holster, aim it, then the charging/firing laser animation starts. In the air, Fox immediately goes into the charging animation, cutting off a huge amount of start up time (He may still do the holster animation, but its ridiculously faster.) He still has the same cooldown though.

As for applications:
-Once you practice, its just as good as the falco laser for camping/spamming. You are not getting quite as many lasers down range, but the amount of dps you are sending is way higher, and its not that much slower than the falco lasers.

-Edgeguarding. This is huge. You can use this move to edge guard opponents. It gives fox that extra edgeguard tool he so desperately needed. You can intercept opponent's recoveries with this move, and it has enough knockback to kill them at good percents (150ish when they are recovering from the sides, even lower depending how light they are/how deep you go). Don't fire the laser too low if you go offstage with it; the end lag will make you SD. Either stay over the stage/platforms, or go high. Use nair or another option if you are going for a low recovering opponent. Even if you don't intercept the opponent for the kill, this laser will force them to take some sort of action against it, rather than just eating it and recovering still. So, even if it doesn't find its mark, you can force opponents to recover in ways they don't want to, setting up potential followups from your other moves.

-Since this move has so much knockback, it can easily reset a situation if you can land it.

I use this laser as my main laser in almost every matchup. The only ones I may not use it in are against super projectile-heavy characters such as villager and duck hunt. Villager especially since he could just pocket the charge laser and use it against me. And since he's going to be spending time throwing out a ton of projectiles, I won't have much time to use the charge lasers, as they will either trade with villager projectiles, or i won't be able to fire them fast enough to keep up. Also, I would not be be able to react with shines as quickly, because even though jumping with charge lasers significantly reduces their startup lag, they still have a slower startup than fox's normal lasers. I would opt for the stock lasers in this matchup most likely. I would say the same for duck hunt, but I can still see the charge lasers working, as both normal lasers and charge lasers should be able to shut down duck hunt's projectiles. My only concern with the charge lasers here, again, is the inability to keep up with the volume, while stock lasers can.

TL:DR
-Still good at spamming
-Most DPS
-Can be a kill move
-Fantastic for edgeguarding.
-Normal lasers may be better in matchups involving tons of projectiles from the opponent."

I have to get some videos up showing off the 3132 move set. I have several offline matches saved, and a couple online ones including a set vs DKWill (That DK upb tho X_x).

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I will need to give Blaster3 another chance then. I didn't know about the short-hop reducing start-up.

I stand by 2122, 2131, and 2332 being good sets, and they're all I really want. The other of these 10 seem to cover the rest of the preferences here as well.

elmike

Smash Apprentice
This is good.
I think 1,1,3,1 should be instead of 1,1,3,2 (because if you want to use lasers 1, probably is because you are against campy characters, where reflector 1 is better than 2)

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
This is good.
I think 1,1,3,1 should be instead of 1,1,3,2 (because if you want to use lasers 1, probably is because you are against campy characters, where reflector 1 is better than 2)
I support this change. It's not too much of a big deal, but I too think it makes more sense than 3131..

M@v

Subarashii!
1131 and 1132 both work. 2 gives you the wind shine to enact wind shenanigans, but you will likely be utilizing the reflect feature a lot more than the windbox in the matchups you use laser 1.

Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
M@V, thanks for the awesome writeup on B3! I think you're glossing over the lack of spammability in relation to other lasers a little though. Even with the SH lag reduction thing, it still requires a pretty large time window to fire it, so despite the fact that it will take 3 B2s to equal the damage of one shot from it, those 3 B2s will still be easier to pull off. If all you want lasers for is damage, I maintain that B2 is your go-to.
B3 is still great though and it deserves all its sets except maybe the 3131.
Also, going to ask for people's opinions on the edgeguard set (33X2). Which upB do you think is best for it?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
M@V, thanks for the awesome writeup on B3! I think you're glossing over the lack of spammability in relation to other lasers a little though. Even with the SH lag reduction thing, it still requires a pretty large time window to fire it, so despite the fact that it will take 3 B2s to equal the damage of one shot from it, those 3 B2s will still be easier to pull off. If all you want lasers for is damage, I maintain that B2 is your go-to.
B3 is still great though and it deserves all its sets except maybe the 3131.
Also, going to ask for people's opinions on the edgeguard set (33X2). Which upB do you think is best for it?
It depends. Up3 can be used to edge gaurd if while recovering they get caught in Ur spin up.
If u wanna edgegaurd with non up3 moves, use up1 or up2
If u wanna edgaurd primarily by catching recovering people with up3 spin up, then up 3. For both sets of course, side3 is the best choice..
Since it seems there will only b one 'edgegaurd' set, I'm personally leaning more towards up2, despite being up3s biggest supporter. If someone wants to edgaurd with up3, then they'll just use I guess one of the many other up3 sets (*cough1332and2332isbestcough*)

M@v

Subarashii!
Ok; here's my shot at 10 movesets:
3122(or some move set with firefox 2 just so you have it)

Personally I will likely only ever use the first 3 on this list, as I'm not a fan of laser 2, and think there's almost 0 reason to use the normal firefox over firefox 3. I did make a couple laser 2 movesets here though for those who like it, as well as a couple with the wolf side b. I think having one moveset with the upb 2 wouldn't be an awful idea; its fast and has some specific utilities (ex. viable flamedashing if you find yourself at a stage that has the ideal slopes).

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
2122 needs a spot for sure. We get everything we want in terms of recovery with Side1 and Up2, which is crucial vs characters like Jigglypuff and Shulk to not give them free start-up time to gimp us.

I did try out the laser 3, cancelling the startup with short hops makes it considerably better in my eyes.

I still like Laser 2. It is more precise than 3 and is a fast interruption from far away.

IMO:
All lasers are good, they all force approaches. 1 is outclassed but still necessary vs reflective / absorbing moves, 2 is a nice interruption, and 3 nets KOs.

Side 1 and 3 are the ones to go to. Both provide escape options to the other side of the stage, though 1 is better for this. 1 provides recovery and possible KO setups, while 3 has the meteor at the end and diagonal angle.

Up 2 or 3 is the choice, 3 being the most useful as it is very powerful and gets KOs. 2, however, is still needed to mitigate us being gimped in certain matchups.

Down2 is the best, no question. 1 is still useful for characters who like projectiles and reflecting things, but otherwise 2 is the go to in most MUs.

Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Was going to write a real reply, but Cozy said everything I was thinking.

My suggestions for the 10, based on M@V's sets and Cozy's recommendations:

3332 3322
3122 2122
Basically, just switching out the laser on the up2 set, since I feel like B3 is a bit sub-optimal in the MUs you need up2 for (since they're mostly really fast characters/good in the air and thus able to avoid B3 with relative ease), as well as swapping up3 for up2 on the edgeguard set.
The latter is personal preference so whatever, but I feel like it's the better choice because a) you'll be offstage a lot more with that set and up2 cuts that tie down a good bit and b) it's a good set with both up2 and B3 in it in case you really hate B2.

Top Bottom