• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
To be fair though, you can't tech ALL wall infinites, like Fox's, Ike's, or D3's.

Personally, I think stages with walkoffs in general should be banned, but I guess that's just me... Just seems like characters like Yoshi and D3 are too good there... On top of that, supposing you were good enough at getting jablocks, you could just jablock someone off the side.

buenob

Smash Lord
i hate to say it, but the less "intrusive" a stage is, the better the lower tiered characters are going to be... as long as there is a variety of standard "flat" levels, as well as the option of a couple unique levels that aren't too intrusive, that's really all that's needed for a competitive game...

the more we fight for norfair and the likes, the more MK will dominate :(

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
i hate to say it, but the less "intrusive" a stage is, the better the lower tiered characters are going to be... as long as there is a variety of standard "flat" levels, as well as the option of a couple unique levels that aren't too intrusive, that's really all that's needed for a competitive game...

the more we fight for norfair and the likes, the more MK will dominate :(
This isn't really true. I'm pretty sure Ness's best stage for fighting Meta Knight (or anyone except King Dedede) is Mario Circuit. The Bridge of Eldin is a fantastic Sonic stage. If I were going to be so bold as to take on Meta Knight with Jigglypuff, I would want it to be on the Pirate Ship. I don't remember why, but I know I've heard claims that Captain Falcon's best level is Distant Planet. As Ganondorf or Bowser who deeply fear guys like Falco, levels that are as unfriendly to projectile spam as possible are preferable. Have you seen how silly Jigglypuff's Rollout or Sonic's spinning moves can get on Green Hill Zone? I'm pretty sure Fox's best stage is still Yoshi's Island (Melee). The local Link player I know loves Norfair because his usually awful recovery isn't a problem there. Any stage with non-traditional and easier to handle recovery is going to be great for the Pokemon Trainer since it fixes Ivysaur's main problem. If I wanted to use Donkey Kong, a stage like Brinstar that regularly interrupts the action is going to be very preferable so I can not instantly lose if my opponent picks King Dedede. Yoshi can take Meta Knight, Falco, and Diddy Kong off walk-offs; obviously he's going to like some of these "radical" stages! Also, I know Mr. Game & Watch isn't low tier, but Norfair is really his best stage to take on Meta Knight while Final Destination is a totally horrible stage for that matchup. If you want to see Meta Knight losing more, restricting the stages is a very bad approach. I think you are actually exactly wrong; the more we restrict stages, the more the game will centralize.

buenob

Smash Lord
any stages with a walkoff would need to be banned if you were playing against CG characters (yoshi/d3) and if you did allow them you would have to increase the number of stage-bans to the # of walkoff levels allowed in order to counteract this...

I recently held a tournament with a _lot_ of legal stages, norfair, skyworld almost made it in but a MK broke it last minute so it was banned, ps2 + a lot of other levels... what did I find? MK broke all the levels which weren't completely broken to start...

and this tourney was attended by good players too, and where did they go? all neutral levels, because they find it the most competitive...

infomon

Smash Scientist
huh? I don't remember MK breaking anything other than skyworld. What happened on ps2?

Edit: And I find I pick neutral stages simply because I have the most experience on them, so I feel safer that way. It's not because many other stages (ex. ps2) are necessarily bad; the game just hasn't been out long enough (lol?) that I've wanted to practice much on these other stages, since I still have lots to learn about the more common ones. idk tho, I'm not in the "good players" list yet :laugh: but I wonder if "the most competitive" is actually the full reason why the better players stick to the neutrals.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol nothing specific happened on ps2, but I found that in general MK had an advantage on a lot of the 'different' levels... overall the "floaty" time is great for MK on ps2 since he's a beast vs. most characters in the air, his glide can help him reach the ground faster, not to mention snakes crazy advantage on that portion of the level too... we had a bunch of friendlies back at my place afterwards, but i was drunk after a long day so I can't exactly say anything for certain except mario vs. peach on skyworld is epicly hilarious...

i was talking to SAUS (a fantastic Ike main) and he was saying that pretty much any level other than those with flat main levels is going to hurt his ike play, since it's way harder to auto-cancel the arials, and completely rules that out going in some directions...

talking more about this, he said that due to MK's manouverability, speed, and priority, he can generally deal with any stage hazard extremely easily, better than most of the cast...

after this conversation, with someone who took a mid tier character further than anyone I have met, and from the tournament, I came to the "less is better" conclusion...

I do think the extremely restricted list "3 neutrals etc." goes overboard and completely eliminates valid levels (rainbow cruise should 100% be legal) but I think that if a level has essentially the same aspects as a bunch of others, but has intrusive "gimmick" differences, it shouldn't be legal...

infomon

Smash Scientist
hmmmmmm

I recall arguing with Inui about Norfair... he was complaining that the lava is so hard to avoid with MK and snake. But I don't have that problem with Sonic, lol. For sure Ike has trouble dealing with environmental hazards; that's part of the balance inherent in the game. Definitely MK is good at dealing with stuff; not the best, but good; that's part of why he's a great character; I don't know how that could matter in stage-ban decisions. It's not like we need to artificially nerf him -- right?

I don't see why everyone considers environmental changes/hazards to be "gimmicks". Many of them sacrifice a small amount of predictability for the sake of an entire dimension of gameplay; having to deal with the world aside from your opponent. The better player still wins; people just can't accept losing because they don't know the stages well enough. :( And hazards break up chaingrabs, thus helping to balance something that you're on the verge of banning for other reasons.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
This isn't really true. I'm pretty sure Ness's best stage for fighting Meta Knight (or anyone except King Dedede) is Mario Circuit. The Bridge of Eldin is a fantastic Sonic stage. If I were going to be so bold as to take on Meta Knight with Jigglypuff, I would want it to be on the Pirate Ship. I don't remember why, but I know I've heard claims that Captain Falcon's best level is Distant Planet. As Ganondorf or Bowser who deeply fear guys like Falco, levels that are as unfriendly to projectile spam as possible are preferable. Have you seen how silly Jigglypuff's Rollout or Sonic's spinning moves can get on Green Hill Zone? I'm pretty sure Fox's best stage is still Yoshi's Island (Melee). The local Link player I know loves Norfair because his usually awful recovery isn't a problem there. Any stage with non-traditional and easier to handle recovery is going to be great for the Pokemon Trainer since it fixes Ivysaur's main problem. If I wanted to use Donkey Kong, a stage like Brinstar that regularly interrupts the action is going to be very preferable so I can not instantly lose if my opponent picks King Dedede. Yoshi can take Meta Knight, Falco, and Diddy Kong off walk-offs; obviously he's going to like some of these "radical" stages! Also, I know Mr. Game & Watch isn't low tier, but Norfair is really his best stage to take on Meta Knight while Final Destination is a totally horrible stage for that matchup. If you want to see Meta Knight losing more, restricting the stages is a very bad approach. I think you are actually exactly wrong; the more we restrict stages, the more the game will centralize.
The more we restrict stages, the more everything would be based on fighting style instead of adapting to the environment

Linkshot

Smash Hero
You didn't take into consideration that in a different environment, you might have a winning fighting style available against a bad matchup to take the advantage.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The more we restrict stages, the more everything would be based on fighting style instead of adapting to the environment
The best strategy for Mr. Game & Watch against Meta Knight is to approach from below with the fishbowl. Only Norfair guarantees that possibility. The stages you promote restrict my fighting style.

Also, do these people who "proved" those stages benefited Meta Knight play on those stages regularly? If you play all of your friendlies on "neutral" stages, you are obviously going to suck on the other stages and simple tactics will dominate (Meta Knight is the master of simple tactics). Like, with Pokemon Stadium 2, are you talking about people who play on it several times every time they play brawl or people who had played on it ~10 times ever before this tournament? It makes a BIG difference.

buenob

Smash Lord
you wouldn't get the chance to do that... once MK has a % lead, he'd just plank to win... also, if they weren't planking, it's easy to go off the level, then return to the main small platform, and then you can't approach from below anymore...

mostly, you'd have the same ability only probably even better on yoshi's island, without the rediculous amount of ledges to deal with

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I am not worried about Meta Knight planking. I'll just challenge him for those ledges and win. Meta Knight doesn't have any real way to protect them from below. This isn't theorycraft at all at this point; I've done this before.

buenob

Smash Lord
well, since my credibility was put into question first...

KingAce was the metaknight who I was playing against, one of the better ones in Canada, who has placed decently at large tournaments, and beat Ally/Holy (who were there as well) with Ambrose going duel metaknight (Ambrose and I played, but only on 'neutral' levels) in doubles...

this was a smaller non-hype tournament, but because of the location a lot of good players came out, and it was a good time... SAUS is a local player here too, and if you're wondering about how much we play on odd levels... here's a video of the first part of a bi-weekly Grand Finals (for real, money was on the line when they did this...) SAUS vs. my teams partner Retlaf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CGoEhCoM44

personally, I would take out norfair because it doesn't add anything different, and other levels do it better... the only unique aspect is 3 easily accessible ledges from each side, and planking is a huge gripe among the top players...

I would leave in things like japes and cruise because they offer unique levels which specifically counter styles of play, while being completely consistent (no randomness) and accommodate a relatively diverse repertoire of playstyles (ie. they can be played in different ways, no "one way to break the level")...

as for you challenging a MK for the ledge on norfair, I don't see how that could possibly put the MK at a disadvantage... even if you successfully steal the bottom-most ledge, the MK can easily make it to the other side of the level and grab another edge before you could make it over there... hell, I was playing a MK on battlefield and I did that, and he just glided under the level and made it to the other side there... unless they're going for sweetspotting the top of the loop, they'll be able to make pretty much any ledge on the map, and there's no way a MK is going to be hanging around that low on norfair

infomon

Smash Scientist
personally, I would take out norfair because it doesn't add anything different, and other levels do it better... the only unique aspect is 3 easily accessible ledges from each side, and planking is a huge gripe among the top players...
Norfair is quite unique, IMO. It's a good stage to take the Ice Climbers; they have trouble landing grabs and lava conveniently prevents them from going on for long. Same for D3. It's not necessarily bad for the ICs, though; they just have to change playstyles. Iceblocks drip over the platforms, and their recovery doesn't get nerfed as easily. In fact, tethers are hilarious here, and I think Link and Ganon also like it for recovery purposes as well. What other stage really provides this? Your "only unique aspect" seems pretty crucial to me. It's a bit unfortunate about the randomness of the stage, but it doesn't seem too dominating. IMO, planking is the only thing in question here.

as for you challenging a MK for the ledge on norfair,
I have to invoke the same argument I used when the "MK ban" was massively popular. I need to see proof of this; videos, perhaps, where the opponent is shown to really have no options to deal with it? Have all the different matchups really been tested to prove that this strategy is broken? Even if it's a good strategy (ie. not the only viable one for competitive play on the stage, even if it's the best), as long as the opponent is making errors at dealing with the situation, I'm uncomfortable saying that the strategy is so over-powered that it should be banned (ie. by banning the stage).

If MK is broken on Norfair, why isn't he broken on Battlefield? Well, you just said he could plank about as well on Battlefield anyway. So perhaps the problem isn't Norfair, but it's MK? But I've always been extremely suspicious of calls for the MK ban, because I don't see it in practice. Even though he's the best. Why aren't people planking more, if it secures a win?

buenob

Smash Lord
ok lets say that an mk is planking on battlefield... i'm rob... he's got to stay below the ledge... lets say eventually I call his ledge-grab and i grab it before he does... he dies since he was below the level to start, and if he was above the level, I would lazer/top him therefore not really planking well lol...
edit: alternate - assuming the MK is good and sees this coming, he's forced onto the stage... while not necessarily good for me, it stops the planking... rob has more options than this with properly spaced/timed tops, but I won't get into them here

on norfair, the mk would never be forced to hang around below the level for that long, and can space it so that if he misses the up-b onto one ledge, he will be saved by another ledge or platform (assuming you're fighting for the bottom ledge)... if you're fighting for the top/middle ledge, the mk can easily grab pretty much any other ledge

my example on battlefield was just to show that it's extremely easy for an MK to glide underneath any level to get to the other side... what actually happened in that exact game, I was able to run over to the other side and start ledge-pressuring him since it was far enough away, and the MK was definitely not in a _good_ spot -> planking on battlefield is definitely not as strong of an option

rainbow cruise is a way better counterpick to take IC's to, and if they ban it, there are plenty of 'standard' levels with small platforms (battlefield) with which to camp on to aggrivate the ic's...

I think the reason we don't see that much planking is that it takes a certain type of player, and for that player to be using mk really lol... that "type" of player will really only be found at the top (unless you meet them on their way to the top), anyways, that's getting off topic and into opinions of other things...

I guess I just feel that what is gained from norfair is a lot of ledge play, while what is lost is grounded approaches and strong stage hazards forcing their way into flow of the fight

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hmm. I don't really know how to respond, since I agree with pretty much everything in that post :laugh: except the implication that taking ICs to Battlefield is similar to taking them to Norfair (I find they play quite differently in either situation; like the platform layout is different enough that the entire fighting style is different). But anyway, I guess we just reach different conclusions about stages based on personal tolerance. If it's rare and difficult for people to plank properly, maybe it's not broken? But I guess you're not necessarily saying it is; just that it's one of the dumb reasons why Norfair might as well be banned since it doesn't offer anything good. That's a strange kind of argument I'm not really sure what to do with... since I go the opposite way: if the stage isn't broken, it should be allowed.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You know, I've been thinking and experimenting a little bit, and I actually think WarioWare should be bumped up a bit to a tentative Counterpick status. Yes, you can be powered up by the stage and the chance for power-ups can be random, but given that you have to make tactical decisions whether to try to attempt to get those power-ups by attempting the minigames (as opposed to items, which simply spawn whenever with no control from the player), I don't think the randomness should be a factor. Any more so than the randomness associated with attempting Peach's forward smash, Game & Watch's Judgment, or DeDeDe's Waddle Dee Toss.

More to the point, I don't think the power-ups are nearly as gamebreaking as they're made out to be. Considering what a defensive, campy game Brawl is anyway, any player worth their salt should be able to defend themselves for a few seconds against invincibility. And being giant-sized can be a double-edged sword.

It just doesn't seem to have that huge of an impact of the overall outcome on matches from what I've seen.

I know that the chances are pretty good that this will fall of deaf ears, but I really think that this could qualify for Counterpick/Ban-optional at the very least.

Edit:

In Brawl, they're two sides to the same coin.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Orion, I agree with you. I got Huge status while my opponent got Invincible once, and I was able to avoid all his attacks, still.

Perhaps a more savvy opponent could get around my evasive skills, though.

For the damaging ones, I believe you can shield most and not get the bonus.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't get rid of Norfair. It helps a lot of people get around campy approaches. The fact that it gets rid of main ground approaches is why it should be kept for a counterpick. It helps out characters with aerial appraches like game and watch and rob. Then it also helps people that are good at stopping aerial approaches like Ganondorf. Norfair helps different characters all across the tier and it should be kept for that reason.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
You know, I've been thinking and experimenting a little bit, and I actually think WarioWare should be bumped up a bit to a tentative Counterpick status. Yes, you can be powered up by the stage and the chance for power-ups can be random, but given that you have to make tactical decisions whether to try to attempt to get those power-ups by attempting the minigames (as opposed to items, which simply spawn whenever with no control from the player), I don't think the randomness should be a factor. Any more so than the randomness associated with attempting Peach's forward smash, Game & Watch's Judgment, or DeDeDe's Waddle Dee Toss.

More to the point, I don't think the power-ups are nearly as gamebreaking as they're made out to be. Considering what a defensive, campy game Brawl is anyway, any player worth their salt should be able to defend themselves for a few seconds against invincibility. And being giant-sized can be a double-edged sword.

It just doesn't seem to have that huge of an impact of the overall outcome on matches from what I've seen.

I know that the chances are pretty good that this will fall of deaf ears, but I really think that this could qualify for Counterpick/Ban-optional at the very least.

Edit:

In Brawl, they're two sides to the same coin.
wut, no.

-A map that racks damage for not being under an umbrella
-A map that can pitfall you and get you killed from a charged smash
-A map where an unpredictable car that comes from either side, can stall, and can jump can kill you
-A map that has arrows that can kill you
-Walk off ledges on all special maps

But those I'd say are minor compared to the fact that you can get a Starman for completing one of the missions. Starman is broken. Period. One character is completely invincible for 10 seconds while the other has to run, sheild, and dodge constantly to try and not to get hit.

And becoming huge can also be broken if your opponent didn't get a boost at all. Just imagine an MK opponent becoming giant, and you basically can't avoid his dsmash or tornado because of the ridiculous range.

The map should undoubtedly be banned. It's too random. The combination of the randomness of events that can kill you, combined with the fact that they all have walk off ledges without platforms, combined with the fact that players get rewarded arbitrarily for situational things, and the rewards are broken (Starman>huge>nothing) all make a gigantic banned map.

At least with other counterpick stages, you can avoid the things. You can avoid getting hit by the lava on Norfair, you can avoid getting hit by a missle on Pictochat, you can avoid getting hit by a bomb on Pirate Ship, etc. You can't avoid your opponent getting a starman or becoming huge.

WarioWare=Banned.

Also, with the whole restrict vs. liberal, extremes in both ways are bad. If we only have neutral stages and then just Lylat and Halberd after that, the similarity of each stage benefits camping characters and basically takes away counterpicking from the equation. We want people to be able to counterpick. I want, as a Diddy, to be able to take a campy Snake to Rainbow Cruise, a stage where he can't camp. If we restrict all of the stages, a certain strategy benefits everywhere, and counterpicking is completely dead.

Being completely liberal with stages is also horrible though. Stages like WarioWare, 75M, etc., add a HUGE randomness factor to a game to the point where it's near impossible or just downright impossible to avoid things, and then the stage ends up killing you. You can't control if your opponent gets a starman, as aforementioned. Stages like Shadow Moses Island mean that people get wall-infinited like crazy, and only benefit people who can kill off the top.

But really, any stage that isn't stupid with walk-off ledges, permanent, unavoidable walls, and random unavoidable factors, should be counterpicks. Norfair should be a counterpick; the lava is avoidable, just like Brinstar. Just because there's more places where lava can come in, doesn't mean it should kill you. It's easy to see a giant wall of lava coming to you in any direction, the lava that sprays can be sheilded, and the lava that covers the entire level can be air or spotdodged.

On Norfair, yes you have to adapt to the environment, but it's not to an extreme; you just have to be aware of the lava. And Norfair gives some fighting styles a plus (aerial characters) while giving some fighting styles a nerf (campy or ground control characters), which is the ENTIRE POINT OF COUNTERPICKING.

The current stage list of counterpick stages is pretty good. We shouldn't ban stages like Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Pirate Ship, Japes (despite how much I hate the stage), etc. Some stages like Pokemon Stadium 2 really shouldn't even be considered banned; yes the stage is random and doesn't really benefit anyone, but it doesn't kill anyone at all (I personally can't see anyone ever using PS2 though, but it sitll shouldn't be banned). Stages like Distant Planet, Skyworld, and Green Greens can be debated; personally I'd put all of them on banned, but having them as counterpick/banned is understandable.

Really, how consice a stage list is can be up to the TO. Some TOs like more liberal stagelists and will put all of the debatable stages on counterpicks. Some TOs don't like that, and will just put the know-for-sure stages on their legal list. But as a general rule, as long as the stages hazards are easily avoidable and the stage doesn't have stupid things like permanent walk-off-ledges, permanent walls, etc., the stage should be legal on the official SBR list.

tl;dr: I repeated myself a lot.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
We shouldn't ban stages like Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Pirate Ship, Japes (despite how much I hate the stage), etc
We're back to this 150 pages later.

Should I go back and get my arguments for why almost all of these stages are a terrible idea?

buenob

Smash Lord
lol well, it's all semantics really... how willing are you to put money on the line in each setting? what game do you want to play? that's what this discussion is about, and really, a lot has been gained going in that circle I think...

anyways

as to norfair getting rid of grounded approaches... rainbow cruise does this quite well, so does japes, and to an extent battlefield // lylat if you decide to play them that way, but let me stick with japes and cruise...

cruise adds the "moving" level aspect to the game, so different, and yet still balanced and competitive... you have to play around the level, but it never really feels like it's restricting the flow of the fight... it's impossible to truly "camp" on this level because of all the walkoffs... it's incredibly difficult to set up a CG->death anywhere, so really by staying near the front edge of the map you're just upping the stakes, less mistakes per life

japes is a campers dream, yet planking is not a very good option... it is easy to get yourself to a place where the opponent has to use an aerial to approach, but since there's the water it's impossible to really go low and out of the fight, and then safely grab a ledge... added onto this, there's the predictable claptrap, and the unique close side death zones, relatively insignificant bottom death zone, and an extremely high celing, a great counterpick

norfair... has... um.. (ok let me try to actually do this and not just rip it one for fun lol)

norfair has the benefit of 6 grabbalble ledges, and vertically based fights... it has a very large bottom death zone and medium celining/walls... the level significantly leans towards defensive aerial combat "off the stage" and then getting back to one of the ledges.. to prevent outright camping 4 different stage hazards which are predictable, but have an overarching random pattern (isn't the same every time you play it)... two of the stage hazards (wall from behind and fireballs) have strong knockback and kill at relatively low percentages, while the other two make a large portion of the map a hurt-zone, which must be avoided...

in my opinion, if the hazards are "easy" to dodge, they don't do enough to counter-act the camping, and if you think they're not easy to dodge, they interrupt the fight disrupting the flow of the match... nothing about this level really adds something new, except for the hazards and the sheer # of accessable ledges

again, it comes down to, what game do you want to play...

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I have a definite strategy on Cruise with Pit. Camp on the back of the boat, stay at the head of the camera afterward, then charge a smash as the camera falls to block your opponent.

Luigi's Mansion: Ceiling infinites, IMMENSE camping.

Let's see...something against the rest.. I support the rest (and I support Cruise, too) as legal.

The hazards are choreographed enough. If you can't see them, it's your problem for:

A) Not manipulating the camera to make it easier (Pirate)
B) Not keeping track of time (Klaptrap, Cruise)
C) Not reacting fast enough.

IIRC, I think the acid in Brinstar is set on a timer (I know it was in Melee).

Don't fight the stage, work with it.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
wut, no.

-A map that racks damage for not being under an umbrella
-A map that can pitfall you and get you killed from a charged smash
-A map where an unpredictable car that comes from either side, can stall, and can jump can kill you
-A map that has arrows that can kill you
They're called stage hazards, and a LOT of counterpicks have them. None of them are so powerful or unavoidable as to be gamebreaking in the slightest, and all of them can be avoided with common sense. See also: Norfair.

-Walk off ledges on all special maps
Several counterpicks have walk-off ledges, as well. Many of which last a LOT longer. This doesn't make the stage banworthy, either.

But those I'd say are minor compared to the fact that you can get a Starman for completing one of the missions. Starman is broken. Period. One character is completely invincible for 10 seconds while the other has to run, sheild, and dodge constantly to try and not to get hit.
Again, I consider this a calculated risk. You can try to complete the stage mission to get invincibility, but many of the goals will leave you vulnerable and/or set you in a predictable path that can be exploited. Yes, you MIGHT get invincibility, but if you've got to taunt or jump in order to get it, your opponent can decide to take you out instead of following the stage goal. There is a lot of strategy involved with the process, even factoring in the randomness.

And as I said, considering Brawl's overall defensive nature, a Starman isn't as completely terrible as it would be for say, Melee.

And becoming huge can also be broken if your opponent didn't get a boost at all. Just imagine an MK opponent becoming giant, and you basically can't avoid his dsmash or tornado because of the ridiculous range.
What is "basically," exactly? While I certainly agree that you won't be putting up a huge offensive during that time, you can still plan ahead, think about what's going to be done and react accordingly. I'll grant you that Meta Knight would be fairly overwhelming in giant form. But he pretty much is anyway, so it's a moot point. And remember that when he shrinks, he's given a moment of vulnerability at the end, as well. As I said, it's a double-edged sword.

The map should undoubtedly be banned. It's too random.
Random =/= banned. There are a lot of counterpick stages and character moves that play off of that very same randomness factor.

Your point would also carry more weight if there was nothing you could do as a result of the randomness, but you absolutely can. NONE of the hazards are difficult to avoid (food car being the hardest, but absolutely not even close to impossible, and none of them are so positively lethal as to be the main focus of the level (read: Mario Bros. monsters).

At least with other counterpick stages, you can avoid the things. You can avoid getting hit by the lava on Norfair, you can avoid getting hit by a missle on Pictochat, you can avoid getting hit by a bomb on Pirate Ship, etc. You can't avoid your opponent getting a starman or becoming huge.
Apples and oranges. You can avoid ALL of WarioWare's hazards. And to get a possible power-up, you generally have to put yourself in a predictable path and/or deliberately leave yourself open in order to get the chance, giving your opponent an opportunity to take a shot at you instead of following the stage goals right then.

WarioWare is indeed unique in the fact that it gives players power-ups at times. Therefore it can be very hard to quantify whether those power-ups, in and of themselves, are a reason for banning. Give the nature of Brawl and the fact that the power-ups CAN be predicted (and this is key - the very fact that items can't be planned for is why they're considered banned in most cases) indicate that they should be reevaluated in this particular case.

But really, any stage that isn't stupid with walk-off ledges, permanent, unavoidable walls, and random unavoidable factors, should be counterpicks.
There's nothing "unavoidable" in WarioWare. Not one single thing. Even if you felt that your opponent was going to get invincibility, he'll have to drop his attention from you in order to aim for it (or at least multitask; either way, his focus is split). During that time, you can plot your own strategy and even screw him over as he's trying to do a mission, causing him to get hurt AND fail. As I said, it adds to the strategy involved, and therefore is a valid contribution to the matches.

And don't worry about the repetition. I certainly have nothing but respect for your opinion, and I'm very interested in your point of view. Feel free to express it in any way you'd like, and I'll respond with the same decency and respect. I'm sure we'll be able to arrive at some understanding as a result. :bee:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Starman is broken. Period. One character is completely invincible for 10 seconds while the other has to run, sheild, and dodge constantly to try and not to get hit.
It's obviously a huge temporary advantage, but I'm actually not sure it's broken. It very well might be.... but, has this really been proven? I want to see you get the starman and go against a competent opponent and see how much it helps you. I want to see how often you're even getting the starman when you're facing an opponent that knows what they're doing. Basically I want proof before you make this claim.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
And I'm seriously considering it. What.

Stop talking.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Only way that Warioware would be a playable tourney stage is when a tourney allow items, or hack Brawl to not change the stage, lol.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
OK, let's put this in perspective.

The idea of a tourney is to find out who is the best player. The stages obviously will influence this, so we only allow stages that are fair in order to make such a determination as fair as possible.

Thus, we divide stages into neutrals and counterpicks. Warioware obviously isn't neutral. So, then, let's look at it from the criteria of a counterpick.

Does it have numerous, constant, and random stage hazards, some of which cause damage or inhibit play? Yes.
Does it randomly grant players clear advantages over the other player? Yes.
Does it encourage a playstyle that inhibits play? Yes, it encourages players to camp until they get invincibility from a microgame.

Let's compare it to a given counterpick: Pokemon Stadium 1.

Does it have numerous, constant, and random stage hazards, some of which cause damage and inhibit play? No, it has announced hazards, only some of which can inhibit play and none of which cause damage
Does it randomly give players an advantage over the other? No.
Does it inhibit play? Slightly. The stage is large and gives and advantage to characters with ranged attacks - But that's why the stage is a CP.

Warioware is tantamount to playing with items on. I'd sooner allow Jungle Japes, and the person I play with most often is a Falco main.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom