• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion

SunJester

Smash Ace
I loathe this stage, I think if it was pictochat-ified (as in getting rid of the more intrusive hazards) and made into a non walk off stage. I think having the screen as the stage you stand on, and the game+watch as the background would work, kind of like how the duck hunt stage from Smash 4 works.

Just do anything with this stage, its probably my least favourite in the whole series.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
New stage discussion!

This time we'll be talking about a stage that has been a fan favorite ever since it was introduced in Brawl: Smashville!

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I really really really really hope the alt is 24/7 K.K. Slider. Or just an inverted schedule, no K.K. on Saturday nights and yes K.K. the rest of the week.

Also, this probably isn't possible, but my crazy pipe dream would be to somehow mod in a scoreboard to count how many balloons each player gets. I know I'm not the only one who always drops everything to go pop it.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I think Smashville is pretty great as is. People have suggested using the alt slots to add Spring, Fall, and Winter variations, which would be selected randomly, and I like that idea. I'm actually surprised it didn't happen in Brawl. I'm not sure what else could work as an AC alt stage. Maybe the train or Main Street.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Balloon scoreboard would be hype.

Unsure of how it would be possible, maybe similar to how the PS stages can reflect in game scores?

I think it's one of the perfect stages. BF, PS2, and SV are like the trifecta.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I think it's boring, (though I am a professional casual) a balloon counter, seasons, and 24/7 K.K would change everything though. It'd be neat if you guys gave the villagers in the background a bit more animation, though it'd be hard to keep it from distracting the player. If you guys were able to put a few easter eggs on Blanca, that would be awesome.

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
If the score counter doesn't work out another cool idea would be for the animals to hold up signs and cheer or something of that sort. It would be so hype if the animals at least did something to commemorate your amazing baloon popping skills. I do however like the score counter idea a lot and would love to see it work but how could it be incorporated into the stage aesthetically without looking out of place? Maybe the counter could just be the clock on town hall and you could have it move ahead an hour every time someone hits a balloon. Just an idea

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
If the score counter doesn't work out another cool idea would be for the animals to hold up signs and cheer or something of that sort. It would be so hype if the animals at least did something to commemorate your amazing baloon popping skills. I do however like the score counter idea a lot and would love to see it work but how could it be incorporated into the stage aesthetically without looking out of place? Maybe the counter could just be the clock on town hall and you could have it move ahead an hour every time someone hits a balloon. Just an idea
Maybe they could just have an animal hold up something with the count.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Balloon count is pretty swag, but different seasons would be stellar. But would that actually be possible? It's already uses alts for different times of day and KK, this would bring that stage up to 9 variations and that's pretty bonkers.

You can't do anything to change the layout of this stage though. It's too iconic and has become the most used stage in PM along with PS2.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Balloon count is pretty swag, but different seasons would be stellar. But would that actually be possible? It's already uses alts for different times of day and KK, this would bring that stage up to 9 variations and that's pretty bonkers.

You can't do anything to change the layout of this stage though. It's too iconic and has become the most used stage in PM along with PS2.
There are a ton of alt slots for each stage though. There was like 20 or 30.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Smashville doesn't load alternate files for saturday. K.K. is present in all the current files as is.
And it's certainly possible to ASL smashville's files. The naming would look something like "STGVILLAGE_0X_Y," where X is the number for the time of day and where Y is whatever variation it is.

At the very least, it only gets confusing navigating through the mess of files you now have if implemented.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I think the bigger question is how you'd select them all, since they said they're limiting it to only one button for one alt.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I think the bigger question is how you'd select them all, since they said they're limiting it to only one button for one alt.
Just have it be randomly selected, just like the AC stage in MK. The difference in seasons would just be aesthetic, so I don't see a problem with that.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Smashville is kind of a plain-jane looking stage. It's not ugly, but its not exactly eye catching either. It's biggest problem is music, which you guys are fixing in the next (?) release.

If I recall correctly there's like four or so slots for this stage? Would it be possible to randomly load between the four stages and have different seasons for each of them, just like on Mario Kart 8?

I think its a better representation of Animal Crossing than matching the time of day (which I imagine is rarely set right on tournament set ups) and allows for a lot more varied visual flair.

At the very least you could always ask the creator of this mod if you can include it in the official build. I've always found it to be superior to the VBrawl version of Smashville.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Someone should import the city model from City Folk (as well as the city residents) and make a makeshift perma-city drop as the alternate (equipped with times-of-day).

Other than that, seasons / weather seem fine. That is if the stage should get an alt, which it frankly doesn't need.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I was thinking about the train from AC being an alt. Basically, it would be a small, moving stage. Sometimes it could go through the tunnel, which would limit KO options. It could be like the PM version of Sm4sh's Spirit Tracks stage. I've seen a custom stage before based off of the railway from Pokemon B/W, so a moving train should be possible.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I'm all for having Smashville alternate randomly between the four seasons; that is a really great idea.
Also, I think it would be worth it to use assets from SmUsh's Town and City stage such as its platforms (the leaves and fruit shapes) and possibly its background simply to make Smashville look better (or you guys could recreate/re-imagine them so it's 100% your own work). In it's current state, it's kinda bland.

A lot to ask for for a stage that is pretty much perfect, but these are just my thoughts.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I don't really like the beach SV. I would be up for minor changes to the current SV though. Currently it's kind of bare.

Personally I like the night version more, if KK slider was there all the time that would be sick. A remixed song with KK Slider would be nice as there aren't any really exciting songs at the moment.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
The 3.6 trailer had music credits at the end listing new tracks, including two Animal Crossing remixes.

himemiya

Smash Lord
So pretty much what people want in sv is what they can do themselves? As in converting mp3's to brstm or browsing bv for those seasons based textures? I'm also up to the idea of just doing minor graphic adjustments and make kk slider the asl.

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
I really like the four seasons idea. It's a small aesthetic change that will go a long way in making the stage more interesting. Everything else about the stage is great imo (except for the base music obviously).

Does anyone know if the PM Alternate Stage Loader has the ability to have different music play on the alternate stage? Or is it all shared? For example, is the music on New Pork City exactly the same as Foursides or is there an option to split up the music? Because that would be incredible, if so, and kind of jarring, if not. Hearing the Fourside theme on New Pork would be hella weird.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Music is all shared. I almost prefer it this way so I don't need to think about tracks only playing on one version.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
For example, is the music on New Pork City exactly the same as Foursides or is there an option to split up the music? Because that would be incredible, if so, and kind of jarring, if not. Hearing the Fourside theme on New Pork would be hella weird.
Yup, Fourside's theme can be heard on New Pork City. Split tracklists aren't possible at the moment.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Please keep it that way. Having a single track list for stages w/ alts will make the music rotate more naturally.

Narpas_sword

Hearing the Fourside theme on New Pork would be hella weird.
it's not that weird...

no more than hearing Firefield on Port Town.

Speaking of, im in serious need on a fzero themed tourney legal stage.
need that music on something that suits.

May have to convert Smashville to Fzeroville. Animal crossing is silly anyway.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

I'm not sure how old you are, but when you're picking weeds in-game and receiving gratification for keeping your little town tidy, then you look outside at your own garden and it's a mess and the lawns need mowing, you start to wonder wtf you're doing playing animal crossing.

I played AC on the gcn for like 6 months as a teenager.
Then i left home, and became an adult. I've got bills to pay and mouths to feed.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're getting at. What's wrong with an alternate stage having some more fitting tracks?
Though it could be beneficial to stages that change entirely like Temple and Skyloft, I'd rather have a song list that fits both slots. Dream Land only has 2 song slots. If that gets split, those stages only get one song each. Keeping 64 music in mind, would it really be that obscure to hear Planet Zebes or Sector Z on their primary stages?

Speaking from experience since I customize 75% of the music in my build, testing tracks on Metal Cavern was a pain. Even if I set the brstm I made to play 100% of the time, the stage might load the alt/primary and that song is unavailable. That's not something I want to fight with on multiple stages.

The only way splitting track lists would appeal to me is if we figure out a stable way to add new tracks and even then I stand by the fact that music on alt stages would probably match the primary.

Edit: @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword confirmed for hating comfy games.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how old you are, but when you're picking weeds in-game and receiving gratification for keeping your little town tidy, then you look outside at your own garden and it's a mess and the lawns need mowing, you start to wonder wtf you're doing playing animal crossing.
This is the most sad thing I've ever heard... And to make matters worse, it makes sense.
I can see all this happening and being fairly awesome.

himemiya

Smash Lord
it's not that weird...

no more than hearing Firefield on Port Town.

May have to convert Smashville to Fzeroville. Animal crossing is silly anyway.
This should be an actual thing in pm

And this should be the main stage while the default is the alt :p

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
On the topic of F-Zero stages, I would love to see the area where you fight Meta Ridley in SSE to be the Big Blue alt.

Narpas_sword

This should be an actual thing in pm

And this should be the main stage while the default is the alt :p

My dream is for a Port Town: Starter Dive that flies around port town like teh brawl level, but instead of landing on the track, it just stops at different locations.

Each location would be the same as the 5 starter Maps.
It starts on a BF clone, moves to a Ps2 clone, then a smashille clone, a GHZ clone and a Dreamland 64 clone.

It stays at each location for 40 seconds, then moves to the next. The stage in transition to the next area is a FD level, and only lasts 5 sec or so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom